• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 - You're going to buy it, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusHD

Banned
Haha, I think it's just one of those things. Sequels either change things if something was wrong, or increase the scale and spectacle. GR2 seems to be the second option, and given that it's moving format, the hope is probably to get more people who never gave the first game a shot in the first place, rather than the people who didn't like it first time round.

In terms of actual changes and improvements, i'm quite interested in the asymmetrical multiplayer portion I've saw mentioned in interviews, set in the mines. The talk of dying and resources collected at that point appearing in other people's worlds, I'm interested to know what kind of challenge would even lead to you dying, Mines imply tighter spaces too, so I'm wondering what they'll do with that. Could be something different that will appeal to other folks. On of the articles in Lotus' ot has a video covering some of this, but I think I'll hang off and find out myself when the game comes out :)

True. All things considered, a quick description of this game would probably be that it's a bigger, longer version of the first game. So if you enjoyed the first game, or only had a few minor gripes, you'd likely want to play the sequel as well. Reviews may add more info, but based on the demo, it's a pretty fair assumption to make.

Right, i'm going to buy it day one, hoping for a nice steelbook edition.

I don't think there is one? At least, not for the US/EU as far as I know.

ArchAngel

Day 1 (and I hope a couple of days before). One of the best new IPs from the last years, fun to play and GR2 tops everything from what I have seen. Kat <3

UrbanRats

Are we playing the same game?

InfatuatedCompetentCapeghostfrog.gif

JealousLoneHawaiianmonkseal.gif

I was just thinking that something about these visuals, reminds me of Hawken, maybe the palette.

This post is so hard to read.

You absolutely can control where the trash goes because you can aim where you throw it. There was nothing frustrating about that portion anyway. You press circle, aim, shoot and repeat until you reach the bomb. There's nothing poor about that mechanic.

Sure, the difficulty is low. If it wasn't, you'd have even more people complaining that they can't hit Raven or Yunica with their gravity kicks because they never realized that if they stay on the ground and chuck objects at them (because you can control where the objects go), they'd actually come down to the ground and be in reach of regular kicks.

I'm not even going to get into the vague criticisms of the writing or narrative.

I know you can aim where it goes but not to my knowledge, what it picks up, however additionally at the time my camera was clipping through the scenery behind the skip. It wasn't a good sequence and in general the gameplay is always a bit janky. Another example regards how the game frequently expects transitions between gravity manipulation and ground sliding, yet these transitions aren't fluid. Why is there not a button that you can use to prepare a slide from an aerial manuever? It's simply not as good as it could be with some consideration to its design.

It's not a matter of the difficulty being low. Increasing the difficulty would not help the game one bit, it's a complete lack of mechanical depth to the encounters that lets the game down. Kat simply points and attacks, nothing more. One of the stupidest designs is the shell type enemies, they protect their weak spot which you need to kick, with a shell which you, need to kick, redundant. It's completely mindless and utterly poorly designed, why add this layer to the combat if it does not force a different strategy? Heck, why add different enemies at all if they don't force a different strategy? All of these enemy variations and almost all of them are defeated in the exact same way.

Gravity Rush 2 is better, but not where it matters most. The encounters are still mindless, a myriad of enemies exist without forcing the player to switch their strategy, and writting appears as mediocre as it was in its predecessor. The world is more interesting yes and their are more options for Kat in combat which do make the game much more enjoyable than it was before, but at the same time it's not improved where one would have expected.

I don't hate it though, even though I'm really critical of its flaws. I really like Kat, the universe, and the narrative (despite generally being poorly written). It has its charm and that's why I like it, but I don't think it's a very good game.

Ferr986

I was going to pre-order the game and I just noticed that here in Spain no store has the white costume preoder. WTF? I liked the white version :(

Exentryk

Fine, I'll try the demo tomorrow. The clumsy floating and combat footage kept putting me off, but I guess I should at least try out the demo. That water control ability looks sick!

rahji

I just want to check out this thread and I have to say, those gifs alone sold me on this game. have to research some more.

Ramenman

Sure as hell I am.

Loved the first one. Objectively there are probably several fair criticisms that can be made about the game as a whole, but I have zero trouble overlooking them due to the incredible and unique movement system (+ cool visual style and very lovely music).

I don't even need GR2 to "fix" the minor issues I had with GR1, I just want it to give me more of what I loved about it, and I'm sure it will.

I just loved moving around the different parts of the cities, collecting all those old-school platformer crystals as I got better and better at mastering the larger-than-life and somewhat chaotic movement abilities.

There's nothing quite like Gravity Rush, so I can forgive its few rough edges because I need it in my veins.

Ferr986

It seems like it's the same in Italy, it's only available as a pre-order bonus for the digital edition.

Yeah I guess it's an Europe fuck up. US Amazon has the white outfit as a preorder bonus.

I mean, it's not a big deal and I still rather have it physical, but I think white outfit goes better with Kat's design.

Yeah I guess it's an Europe fuck up. US Amazon has the white outfit as a preorder bonus.

I mean, it's not a big deal and I still rather have it physical, but I think white outfit goes better with Kat's design.
I think I'll end up getting it digital, partly because of it. There's no special/limited edition, and the physical edition costs (slightly) more than the digital one. It would also mean that I would be able to play the game whenever without having to swap disks.

I know you can aim where it goes but not to my knowledge, what it picks up, however additionally at the time my camera was clipping through the scenery behind the skip. It wasn't a good sequence and in general the gameplay is always a bit janky. Another example regards how the game frequently expects transitions between gravity manipulation and ground sliding, yet these transitions aren't fluid. Why is there not a button that you can use to prepare a slide from an aerial manuever? It's simply not as good as it could be with some consideration to its design.

It's not a matter of the difficulty being low. Increasing the difficulty would not help the game one bit, it's a complete lack of mechanical depth to the encounters that lets the game down. Kat simply points and attacks, nothing more. One of the stupidest designs is the shell type enemies, they protect their weak spot which you need to kick, with a shell which you, need to kick, redundant. It's completely mindless and utterly poorly designed, why add this layer to the combat if it does not force a different strategy? Heck, why add different enemies at all if they don't force a different strategy? All of these enemy variations and almost all of them are defeated in the exact same way.

Gravity Rush 2 is better, but not where it matters most. The encounters are still mindless, a myriad of enemies exist without forcing the player to switch their strategy, and writting appears as mediocre as it was in its predecessor. The world is more interesting yes and their are more options for Kat in combat which do make the game much more enjoyable than it was before, but at the same time it's not improved where one would have expected.

I don't hate it though, even though I'm really critical of its flaws. I really like Kat, the universe, and the narrative (despite generally being poorly written). It has its charm and that's why I like it, but I don't think it's a very good game.

The camera is separate from the gameplay mechanics. You have a problem with the camera, fine, but that problem is separate from anything to do with the stasis field.

You in fact can smoothly transition from shifting/gravity kicking to gravity sliding. Before hitting a new ground, press both triggers (or both lower corners on the Vita's screen) and nothing else. Similarly, you can smoothly transition from sliding to gravity kicking.

The detractors really are shit at the game.

Not all of the enemies are defeated in the same way. As I said in prior posts, some enemies will intentionally move out of the way if you try to attack with gravity kicks: the swordfish Nevi and the column Nevi which leave themselves vulnerable after or while attacking and Raven and Yunica who are nearly impossible to hit with gravity kicks.

Seriously, go back to the Raven and Yunica fights and try to beat them just using gravity kicks. Chances are, you relied on special attacks to beat them because you're bad at the game. A much better strategy is to stay on the ground and throw things at them like I said. And that's because their actions change depending on what the player does (they'll come down to ground level and will be in reach of regular kicks).

The writing in the first game is great and does exactly what it needs for a game: it doesn't bog down the player in endless walls of text or cutscenes explaining the story or the character's backgrounds. It lets the players figure out as much about the world as they wanted to. Finding the Travelers was an obvious way of doing that but so was talking to NPCs before starting story missions. If you did that, you'd find out that although Gade calls himself the creator, he likes to rummage through people's garbage or that there are multiple universes similar to the one that you're playing in but with small differences.

Moreover, it doesn't beat you over the head with story details. Alias is
obviously Syd
. The biggest hint towards that is right before the Alias boss fight: you chase Alias around and he makes multiple projections of himself. Earlier in the game,
when you swap out the gem in Auldnoir for a fake and hand it to Syd, he reveals himself as Alias and then you find the "real" Syd in the bushes nearby.
There's no reason to think that Alias could look like anyone he wants to, he never showed off that ability. But he can produce projections
and that's what that Syd was.

It's stuff like that that makes the game smart. Unfortunately, the detractors aren't.

Not sure if the UK version is any good for you EU mainlanders but I'm pretty sure Game are doing the white costume here as a pre-order incentive. Someone definitely is, I spotted it last night. Not sure where they ship though sorry

Alias is
obviously Syd
. The biggest hint towards that is right before the Alias boss fight: you chase Alias around and he makes multiple projections of himself. Earlier in the game,
when you swap out the gem in Auldnoir for a fake and hand it to Syd, he reveals himself as Alias and then you find the "real" Syd in the bushes nearby.
There's no reason to think that Alias could look like anyone he wants to, he never showed off that ability. But he can produce projections
and that's what that Syd was.

Not to pick, but is this really the case? I replayed it about a month or two ago again in anticipation, and I feel like they say otherwise pretty definitively as part of the payoff for that plot line. I could be wrong though and didn't pick something up.

Also, as big a fan as I am of the game (and I really am a huge one), I'm not sure it's fair or constructive to say that detractors are straight up shit at the game, full stop, and not smart people. Some people fall in love with the gameplay and find it intuitive, some people do not. It is what it is. We can praise the game without putting other people down. Telling them how stupid they are is not going to encourage them to take your tips on board. Unless the idea is just to belittle them, in which case never mind because I really would rather not go down that road with anyone.

Shifty

No.

I was all-in on the plot and setting of the first game until the ending not only left a bunch of plot threads hanging, but proceeded to open up a bunch more of the damn things during the credits.
It would have been less of an issue if what little resolution it had was actually satisfying, but after the
gravity queen
tease they might as well have just slapped a great big outro card on it saying "please buy the sequel".

Granted the game was enjoyable up to that point and the resolution I wanted so bad is likely coming in GR2, but the bad taste from the end of the first one is still strong enough to keep my wallet closed.

No.

I was all-in on the plot and setting of the first game until the ending not only left a bunch of plot threads hanging, but proceeded to open up a bunch more of the damn things during the credits.
It would have been less of an issue if what little resolution it had was actually satisfying, but after the
gravity queen
tease they might as well have just slapped a great big outro card on it saying "please buy the sequel".

Granted the game was enjoyable up to that point and the resolution I wanted so bad is likely coming in GR2, but the bad taste left by the first game is still strong enough to keep my wallet closed.
I think they just ran out of time during development. The rushed nature of how everything wrapped up speaks to that.

Not to pick, but is this really the case? I replayed it about a month or two ago again in anticipation, and I feel like they say otherwise pretty definitively as part of the payoff for that plot line. I could be wrong though and didn't pick something up.

Other things:

Alias means known by another name. There are like, five guys she knows.

There was even the Dusty dream where Alias unveiled himself and Kat definitely knew him and didn't believe that that person was Alias.

Also, as big a fan as I am of the game (and I really am a huge one), I'm not sure it's fair or constructive to say that detractors are straight up shit at the game, full stop, and not smart people. Some people fall in love with the gameplay and find it intuitive, some people do not. It is what it is. We can praise the game without putting other people down. Telling them how stupid they are is not going to encourage them to take your tips on board. Unless the idea is just to belittle them, in which case never mind because I really would rather not go down that road with anyone.

I'm not trying to be constructive but I'm definitely being fair. Because you know what's not fair? People ridiculing a developer's work, calling games garbage left and right, saying that the mechanics are poorly thought out, and for no one else to be able to ridicule those people's gaming abilities.

I'm sick of that bullshit.

Exciting! So soon. Hopefully it reviews well, it probably is the best way of getting new eyes on it. That and streaming, I guess that aspect of games media goes way over my head these days.
Yep, I hope these early reviews are because of confidence in the game. A good meta will only help the queen!

Shifty

I think they just ran out of time during development. The rushed nature of how everything wrapped up speaks to that.

Yeah, that seems likely. It's an unfortunate situation when deadlines are closing in and there's no time to create new content that ties things up conclusively in reaction to shrinking project scope, but at the end of the day the way they handled it still resulted in a bad case of blue balls.

I do think it's good that the game is getting a sequel though, unique off-the-wall IPs have been a rare thing since the PS2 era ended.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I am very concerned about a "20-40 hour" length. This game...most open world games...don't really support that without getting really repetitive or boring.

Other things:

Alias means known by another name. There are like, five guys she knows.

There was even the Dusty dream where Alias unveiled himself and Kat definitely knew him and didn't believe that that person was Alias.

Hmmm, I feel have I have to replay again now..ha! Not that that's a bad thing! I definitely remember considering it because of the earlier plot points around the theft but I really thought they confirmed otherwise after. Interesting!

As for the other stuff, I do appreciate the frustration man. It feels like a game like this, there is a very good chance they will abandon development of not only the series but projects of this nature if there's no success, I just think maybe it's better to stand tall and speak to the people who are genuinely sharing criticism with stuff you think might make them reconsider, oppose to either putting them down or in your view, slinging the mud back. Either way, it's better to stand above that stuff. I'm officially out of this though haha, I would much rather discuss the game, I've said my part.

Yep, I hope these early reviews are because of confidence in the game. A good meta will only help the queen!

Everything for the future Queen! Have we got an OT title yet?

Hairsplash

I bought gravity rush on sale, a long time ago... i have bought too many pre-orders where the game is half price in 6 months... (or half price in 2 weeks... looking at you origin...)

If they could promise that the game will not go on sale for 2 years, then a would preorder it. As it is, i will wait...
sorry, i did not know who deserves the full price, and who deserves the sales price...

UrbanRats

I bought gravity rush on sale, a long time ago... i have bought too many pre-orders where the game is half price in 6 months... (or half price in 2 weeks... looking at you origin...)

If they could promise that the game will not go on sale for 2 years, then a would preorder it. As it is, i will wait...
sorry, i did not know who deserves the full price, and who deserves the sales price...
Actively asking for the game not to go on sale, just so you can preorder? Now what kind of self harming logic is that? Not like you anything from preordering.

Didnt really enjoy the first game on Vita. Mostly didn't like the combat. If the game had no combat or it was revamped then it would be good. So no, I don't plan on getting the second game.

Seriously, go back to the Raven and Yunica fights and try to beat them just using gravity kicks. Chances are, you relied on special attacks to beat them because you're bad at the game.

The detractors really are shit at the game.

It's stuff like that that makes the game smart. Unfortunately, the detractors aren't.

These are juvenile remarks. If you can't hold debate without being polite then don't bother replying. It's clear from the others that replied to my comments that I'm not alone with my views on the game, and while I was happy to debate that with you, you instead chose to attack me person rather than my line of argument. You aren't going to sway me or others by suggesting that we're 'bad at the game' or unintelligible.

As for the content of your post, it goes without saying that I disagree, but I'm no longer interested in discussing the game with you. I made a fair and civil argument, and it seems in doing so I showed you more respect than you deserve.

GenericUser

i've seen some Videos of the first game and almost bought it in a recent sale, but after I played the demo of the second game, I lost all interest.

It looks way better then it plays in my opinion. Not going to buy it, not even on sale.

tumblr_o3c7s5c0dD1u10jf6o1_400.gif

Was that possible to do in the demo? I tried but couldn't pull it off. It might have just sold me on the game if it was in, but as for now I'm not buying into the hype.
And why the heck do you automatically run when moving. I like walking in my games.

LotusHD

Banned

Was that possible to do in the demo? I tried but couldn't pull it off. It might have just sold me on the game if it was in, but as for now I'm not buying into the hype.
And why the heck do you automatically run when moving. I like walking in my games.

Forward + X at the same time when in Lunar Mode.

Servbot24

Banned
As a fan of the first game, I basically agree. Pushing a button to float and another button to start falling in that direction is really not that fun. If you could change the direction of gravity without having to pause and aim, it would be way smoother, stylish and more fun. In that regard it doesn't even touch a game like Just Cause 3 which I'm playing right now. The controls don't feel as good as they should and the combat doesn't seem to have been improved much. Hopefully the game is not banking too much on me being so impressed that a ton of objects are flying around and breaking. I'll still buy the game because for me GR1 was more than the sum of its parts. I still love the art style, music and atmosphere in places.

The control method actually seems fairly essential to the theme of the game. If you controlled it like a flight sim, well, it would feel like you were flying. You're not supposed to feel that way. Falling is a distinct feeling that they are going for.

Yes, you had to do the experienced course. It gives you access to Lunar Style (which is the style in the gif) and lets you perform moves like that.

Ferr986

I think I'll end up getting it digital, partly because of it. There's no special/limited edition, and the physical edition costs (slightly) more than the digital one. It would also mean that I would be able to play the game whenever without having to swap disks.

Can't do that, I like to have my games physical lol

I'll just forget about the bonus :(

Not sure if the UK version is any good for you EU mainlanders but I'm pretty sure Game are doing the white costume here as a pre-order incentive. Someone definitely is, I spotted it last night. Not sure where they ship though sorry

Thanks, but I fear about how much time it takes for shipping, and also problems if I have to return it if I have any problem with the delivery.

Game here only gives a T-shirt btw :/ The store I ordered gives a "yoyo", and Amazon just doesn't give anything, and also releases on 20 and not on the 18.

I am very concerned about a "20-40 hour" length. This game...most open world games...don't really support that without getting really repetitive or boring.

I expect it to be shorter, devs always exagerate how much it takes to finish their games.

These are juvenile remarks. If you can't hold debate without being polite then don't bother replying. It's clear from the others that replied to my comments that I'm not alone with my views on the game, and while I was happy to debate that with you, you instead chose to attack me person rather than my line of argument. You aren't going to sway me or others by suggesting that we're 'bad at the game' or unintelligible.

As for the content of your post, it goes without saying that I disagree, but I'm no longer interested in discussing the game with you. I made a fair and civil argument, and it seems in doing so I showed you more respect than you deserve.
I'll say this :

If you played and abused the gravity kicks in gravity rush 1 , you were doing it wrong

As for myself , the vita controls weren't precise enough for me , because the gravity slides were so difficult to control on Vita.
BUt that minor problem was corrected in the PS4 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom