• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greatest living science fiction author?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be an avid Sci-Fi reader (during my university years), but most of what I read was from the classics, like Asimov, Clarke and Dick, just to name a few.

Ted Chiang is the only young and living sci-fi writer that I'am aware of. His "The Story of your Life" book has a fair amount of stories. Overall, it was a disappointment; I'd said half the stories were mediocre, some others awful, to the point that I'm still wondering why in the hell they were published, and a couple of them truly excellent. The one that gives the book the name, however, was absolutely amazing from start to finish and remains among the best that I've read, ever.

I really hope Ted writes something new of the same caliber, it would be fantastic.

EDIT: I'd like to thank you all for the suggestions. It's time to discover new names in the sci-fi world :)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I used to be an avid Sci-Fi reader (during my university years), but most of what I read was from the classics, like Asimov, Clarke and Dick, just to name a few.

Ted Chiang is the only young and living sci-fi writer that I'am aware of. His "The Story of your Life" book has a fair amount of stories. Overall, it was a disappointment; I'd said half the stories were mediocre, some others awful, to the point that I'm still wondering why in the hell they were published, and a couple of them truly excellent. The one that gives the book the name, however, was absolutely amazing from start to finish and remains among the best that I've read, ever.

I really hope Ted writes something new of the same caliber, it would be fantastic.

His The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate novella comes close to Stories of Your Life.

Monocle

I don't read enough sci-fi but Gene Wolfe is the best sci-fi author I know of by far. If you can even pigeonhole him as a sci-fi author.

Start with The Fifth Head of Cerberus, move to The Book of the New Sun (but only if you read the incredible Urth of the New Sun sequel afterward), and go from there.

Yeah, I hate to say Orson Scott Card because he's an immeasurable douchebag, but he's both alive and wrote Speaker for the Dead.

ЯAW;112487647 said:
Apparently Scalzi's Old Man's War is a series. Is the whole saga worth it or just the first book?

First book's great. I... didn't care for the second one. Haven't read the others yet.

I'd say Joe Haldeman.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, I hate to say Orson Scott Card because he's an immeasurable douchebag, but he's both alive and wrote Speaker for the Dead.

Actually...yeah...like, all of his recent output sucks balls but at his prime in the 80s or so he had some great stuff. Specifically some great short fiction.

I don't read enough sci-fi but Gene Wolfe is the best sci-fi author I know of by far. If you can even pigeonhole him as a sci-fi author.

Start with The Fifth Head of Cerberus, move to The Book of the New Sun (but only if you read the incredible Urth of the New Sun sequel afterward), and go from there.

Mumei

Ursula K LeGuin or Gene Wolfe, maybe? There are others (whose works I haven't read) that I know are well-respected that might be around there, too.

Atrophis

Alastair Reynolds for me. Although I just finished Terminal World which was a pretty big step down in quality compared to his other books.

Would have to say Alastair Reynolds. Just finished House of Suns again and it's just so brilliant.

Just started it. Only a few pages in and its already miles better than Terminal World. Don't know if he has a better book in him than Revelation Space though, I never get bored reading it.

Trouble

Banned
I have to give it to Stephen R. Donaldson just because The Gap Cycle is my favorite sci-fi series of all time (followed fairly closely by the Foundation series).

Honorable mention to William Gibson, Neal Stephenson and China Miéville.

Bodacious

Banned
I know most hardcore sci-fi fans wouldn't take him seriously as a sci-fi writer, but Turtledove's Worldwar tetralogy, Colonization trilogy, and Homeward Bound (single volume conclusion) is one of the most entertaining things I've ever read.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I know most hardcore sci-fi fans wouldn't take him seriously as a sci-fi writer, but Turtledove's Worldwar tetralogy, Colonization trilogy, and Homeward Bound (single volume conclusion) is one of the most entertaining things I've ever read.

Turtledove is 100% legit.

Cyan

Banned
Le Guin and Wolfe are great answers. Ellison too. My personal favorite is Bujold, but I'm not sure if I'd put her up with the all-time greats.

Edit:
Haha, timing! Ursula Le Guin, Gene Wolfe, Harlan Ellison, Lois McMaster Bujold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom