• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greatest living science fiction author?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donos

*side eye*

42CAEpu.gif

Dresden

I know most hardcore sci-fi fans wouldn't take him seriously as a sci-fi writer, but Turtledove's Worldwar tetralogy, Colonization trilogy, and Homeward Bound (single volume conclusion) is one of the most entertaining things I've ever read.

I wasn't a fan of those world war 2 ~but with magic~ books - basically technology gets a 1:1 conversion into magic so rifles become magic sticks and submarines becomes leviathans, etc.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Richard Morgan did great with the Altered Carbon books, but I feel he still considers himself mainly a fantasy writer. Same with Dan Simmons and the Hyperion cantos.

I feel like John Halderman should be in the conversation. Maybe Orson Scott Card, but then again are "popular and successful" equal to good? (I'd say no... are we gonna put Rowling on the same pillar as George Martin?)

But I really think it's gotta be Alistair Reynolds.

Bodacious

Banned
I wasn't a fan of those world war 2 ~but with magic~ books - basically technology gets a 1:1 conversion into magic so rifles become magic sticks and submarines becomes leviathans, etc.

I felt the same with the Byzantine-ish Empire w/ time-lost Roman Legions ~ but with magic ~ series of his. But the Worldwar series (Earth invaded shortly after outbreak of WWII by reptilian alien species, no magic) I loved.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why not? Genuinely have no idea about that author, just want to know the criticisms.

There's nothing wrong with him as an author, per se, but calling him the greatest living science fiction author is a bit much when Le Guin and Gene Wolfe are still alive.

It's fine to like Howey's stuff and all but come on.

SmoothCB

Peter F Hamilton is great.

His world building is top notch but his characterizations are lacking at times. I enjoy his books immensely.

O.DOGG

I think this title should go to William Gibson, not only because of Neuromancer and his first couple of books can rightfully be called sci-fi classics, but also his more recent work is tremendously visionary. I had major trouble getting into his latest book but I'll try again. He's earned it.

Cyan

Banned
Wait what? I thought he was well liked?

He's fine, but greatest living science fiction author? Honestly, most of the suggestions in here seem nuts to me. I guess people are just mentioning their personal favorites or whatever, so maybe I was expecting something different from what other people were thinking.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
He's fine, but greatest living science fiction author? Honestly, most of the suggestions in here seem nuts to me. I guess people are just mentioning their personal favorites or whatever, so maybe I was expecting something different from what other people were thinking.

Generally the people you think are the best are also often your favorites.

Ratrat

Wait what? I thought he was well liked?
He was being torn a new one in the What are You Reading thread. He's one of the worst 'popular' authors in my opinion. I don't think Richard Morgan should even be in the conversation either.

edit: Hugh Howey? :( Next, The Martian is the best SF of the decade and The Expanse and The Lost Fleet are masterworks.

Cyan

Banned
Generally the people you think are the best are also often your favorites.

Hmm. I don't usually think of things that way. If someone asks who the greatest living scifi author is, I'm going to try to separate my personal likes and dislikes out from the stuff that's more relevant to the question: skill, quality, impact on the field, etc. Like, I'd probably have way more fun with a Lee & Miller light space opera novel than a serious Le Guin book, but I'd feel really weird putting them above her in a "greatest scifi author" list.

rbenchley

I have difficulty narrowing it down to one, but my leading contenders would be Gene Wolfe, William Gibson, Margaret Atwood and Neal Stephenson.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hmm. I don't usually think of things that way. If someone asks who the greatest living scifi author is, I'm going to try to separate my personal likes and dislikes out from the stuff that's more relevant to the question: skill, quality, impact on the field, etc. Like, I'd probably have way more fun with a Lee & Miller light space opera novel than a serious Le Guin book, but I'd feel really weird putting them above her in a "greatest scifi author" list.

Lee & Miller?

Cyan

Banned
Where would I start and what is it like?

It's one of these series where the reading order is best described as "it's complicated"... but my recommended entry point is Fledgling. It's standalone, so no prior information is needed to enjoy it, and it hooks back into the main series after its sequel, Saltation.

The series is an episodic space opera adventure that I usually describe as somewhat like Bujold's Vorkosigan books, but with a bit less action, a bit more romance, and a surprising amount of manners (it makes sense in context :p). Warm writing, a delightfully built setting, and a lot of fun characters.

Lois McMaster Bujold I feel. The Vorkosigan Saga is amazing - it has everything from conspiracies, spying, space battles, grand space opera, mercenary work, travelling the stars, everything you would love with great writing + storytelling.

If this thread was a few years older it would be Iain M. Banks for me. I consider the Culture series one of the best pieces of science fiction ever written and it was by him. Sadly he passed in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom