• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just one or two fractals? Nightmare was a boss (which I'd imagine would be stand-alone given how long he lasts) and the climb. Would it be both? Or just the boss?

Nightmare is such a long time ago, did we fight a Marionette inside the Nightmare tower?

Is this game worth jumping into now? The expansion is half off. How soon is the next expansion expected?

Ya, plenty of stuff to do, and plenty of people around. A new story episode is dropping on Monday.

The only expac so far had a 10 month period between announcement and actually being released, and nothing has been announced yet, so..

Vena

Nightmare is such a long time ago, did we fight a Marionette inside the Nightmare tower?

Tower of Nightmares was the big corrupted Pale Tree-like thing in Kessex, and it was two parts: fighting your way up the tower to the apex, and then fighting the Toxic Hybrid. So I am curious what part or parts will become a fractal or fractals, since the tower is a lot like the Molten Fractals in that it can split into two parts.

Marionette was something else in the Shiverpeaks after the Jubilee.

Every now and then I start thinking of getting Guild Wars (the original) and playing through it to finally get a better understanding of the story and lore. How would I go about this? Not that I have that much time now, but I'd like to know what version of GW I'd have to buy and if it would be playable on my own (and without taking too long if possible :p).

Every now and then I start thinking of getting Guild Wars (the original) and playing through it to finally get a better understanding of the story and lore. How would I go about this? Not that I have that much time now, but I'd like to know what version of GW I'd have to buy and if it would be playable on my own (and without taking too long if possible :p).

WoodenPotatoes has crazy GW1 lore videos; https://www.youtube.com/user/WoodenPotatoes/playlists?shelf_id=11&view=50&sort=dd

Who knew the best jumping puzzle in the game would be the one in the guild hall?

I already thought I was at the highest point; someone made a shrine. Then I saw another cloud path...
1WCUxUT.jpg

Woo, success! Had to clip through a ledge to get to it, but meh. That cloud trail is the one right above the globe stargate.
hjHNSgM.jpg

The main reason why I'm posting these screens is because Anet servers are crapping out, yet again. Anet can no longer be proud of excellent server maintenance.

I may have been responsible for some of that nonsense in the GH. >_>

There is another JP elsewhere that
leads to minus world space.

Does Ember Bay count towards Maguuma Masteries? Or Core Tyria Masteries?

Nightmare Tower fractal, nice! The event was during my long hiatus from the game so don't know anything about it outside of that it was in Kessex Hills due to the remains still there when I cleared the zone with a new toon.

Taffer

I miss those twisted watchwork monsters now. We can still fight the various wacky alliances here and there but not the unique bads with their own gimmicks from S1.

Spyware

I know of those videos, but I was wondering about actually playing the game.

Prophecies is the story about what happened in Tyria (the continent) 250 years before GW2. You explore much of the same areas and a lot of historical people mentioned in GW2 appear in this. It's the oldest game and it shows. It's slow paced, the missions are spread over a huge landmass and you level very slowly. Extremely beginner friendly, almost to a fault.
It's the core game that has most connections with GW2 and if you only wanna get one of the campaigns, this is the one to pick for lore reasons.

Factions is about Cantha and far removed from pretty much everyting in GW2 (so far). It's extremely fast paced, you level quickly and the missions are pretty much just stacked on top of each other. It has two very fun professions that you can't access if you start in the other campaigns. Shiro is the big bad in this one so for Rev lore it's sorta fun to see what he did and so on. Least important one tho, imho.

Nightfall is also quite "unimportant" to the GW2 lore, but it's (imho) the best campaign. It's beginner friendly but not as extreme as Prophecies and it has good story/mission pacing that is a bit slower than turbo mode Factions. It also introduced "Heroes". Before Nightfall you could hire "dumb" AI helpers that had a set skill bar and behaved a bit like Necromancer minions. Heroes are helpers you get that you can customize. Skill sets, weapons and behaviour can be set, and you can tell them where to go and who to attack. Like more advanced ranger pets. You can take them with you to play the other campaigns, but you have to have Nightfall to get them (or EotN, but I'll get to that). This one also has two unique professions that I really like and the setting is amazing.

Eye of the North is the bridge between GW1 and GW2 and completely essential. It's an expansion that works with any of the three core games but the story and setting are pretty much only connected to Prophecies. It also uses Heroes instead of the dumb helpers so you're not missing out completely if you're skipping Nightfall, you just get them much later.

A lot of people dislike the gameplay of GW1 so it's hard to all out recommend getting everything. I would recommend getting Prophecies, playing until you get to Lion's Arch and then decide if you liked that experience or not. If you did, get either Nightfall or both Nightfall and Factions, plus the very much essential EotN and start amew in Nightfall to get the Heroes. This character can later jump to Prophecies where the story picks up in Lion's Arch. That way you get to see the whole story of Proph but with the extra class choices Nighfall gives you and the Heroes.
If you didn't like it at all, stop playing (duh :D) and i you find it just bearable, get only EotN and at least finish Proph and EotN.

Puh, I hope any of that made sense!

Prophecies is the story about what happened in Tyria (the continent) 250 years before GW2. You explore much of the same areas and a lot of historical people mentioned in GW2 appear in this. It's the oldest game and it shows. It's slow paced, the missions are spread over a huge landmass and you level very slowly. Extremely beginner friendly, almost to a fault.
It's the core game that has most connections with GW2 and if you only wanna get one of the campaigns, this is the one to pick for lore reasons.

Factions is about Cantha and far removed from pretty much everyting in GW2 (so far). It's extremely fast paced, you level quickly and the missions are pretty much just stacked on top of each other. It has two very fun professions that you can't access if you start in the other campaigns. Shiro is the big bad in this one so for Rev lore it's sorta fun to see what he did and so on. Least important one tho, imho.

Nightfall is also quite "unimportant" to the GW2 lore, but it's (imho) the best campaign. It's beginner friendly but not as extreme as Prophecies and it has good story/mission pacing that is a bit slower than turbo mode Factions. It also introduced "Heroes". Before Nightfall you could hire "dumb" AI helpers that had a set skill bar and behaved a bit like Necromancer minions. Heroes are helpers you get that you can customize. Skill sets, weapons and behaviour can be set, and you can tell them where to go and who to attack. Like more advanced ranger pets. You can take them with you to play the other campaigns, but you have to have Nightfall to get them (or EotN, but I'll get to that). This one also has two unique professions that I really like and the setting is amazing.

Eye of the North is the bridge between GW1 and GW2 and completely essential. It's an expansion that works with any of the three core games but the story and setting are pretty much only connected to Prophecies. It also uses Heroes instead of the dumb helpers so you're not missing out completely if you're skipping Nightfall, you just get them much later.

A lot of people dislike the gameplay of GW1 so it's hard to all out recommend getting everything. I would recommend getting Prophecies, playing until you get to Lion's Arch and then decide if you liked that experience or not. If you did, get either Nightfall or both Nightfall and Factions, plus the very much essential EotN and start amew in Nightfall to get the Heroes. This character can later jump to Prophecies where the story picks up in Lion's Arch. That way you get to see the whole story of Proph but with the extra class choices Nighfall gives you and the Heroes.
If you didn't like it at all, stop playing (duh :D) and i you find it just bearable, get only EotN and at least finish Proph and EotN.

Puh, I hope any of that made sense!
Thanks for the detailed answer! Knowing myself I'll probably end up getting the whole thing and then playing through it at my own pace. I'll probably try to follow release order, as I usually do when playing/watching through something "old". But I'll definitely be using the heroes you mentioned.

SteveWD40

So, decided to grab HoT on sale and jump back in. I was in the guild but think I got culled (was gone for an age), is it still active?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So, decided to grab HoT on sale and jump back in. I was in the guild but think I got culled (was gone for an age), is it still active?
Not really "active" in the typical sense, it's pretty quiet. But there are still people who play regularly and I'm getting on now to do missions (weekly at 9PM eastern).

Post your username or a character name and I'll get you re-added.

SteveWD40

Not really "active" in the typical sense, it's pretty quiet. But there are still people who play regularly and I'm getting on now to do missions (weekly at 9PM eastern).

Post your username or a character name and I'll get you re-added.

Thanks, it's Fallco.1620

Weird to have an update on a Monday :3

I'm wondering if people forgot because there's normally chatter and impressions when a new episode hits. I finally got around to finishing Episode 2 and clearing Ember Bay this last weekend. Just in time!

Also knocked out the entire Nevermore line last week. Working on completing the last Maguuma mastery now at which point I could buy everything else I need to create Nevermore but lord would it be painful to buy all those Amalgamated gemstones..... How the hell are you supposed to get so many of these things in a reasonable manner? One per Maguuma meta a day and that's it? I see you can buy up crests and orbs to try and craft it. Maybe that'd be a lot cheaper. What did those of you that's made a HoT legendary weapon do?

Wanderer5

New map is nice (think I like Ember Bay a bit more through), but eh at the first and last instance. Both kind of felt like there were going longer than they should, more so the last instance.

And
oh man at Braham rallying the norn to face Jormag. Yeah like this is going to go well

Edit: Okay that Kodan tonic is boss.

Do I have to do the LS on every character to unlock the three zones, or is there any other way to access them? Well, outside burning teleports that is.

Quenk

Do I have to do the LS on every character to unlock the three zones, or is there any other way to access them? Well, outside burning teleports that is.

All of those zones have teleport items you can use to get level 80 characters to them without going through the story chapters.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bloodstone_Fen_Portal_Scroll
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ember_Bay_Portal_Scroll
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bitterfrost_Frontier_Portal_Scroll

Impressive area and episode. Aesthetically it looks different from the other ice zones, and I enjoy that the traversal is a lot more free. Emberbay annoys the fuck out of me because everything kites. Its just a hassle to go around.
I like that unbound magic is a currency for all these places.

Does this mean that next patch we're going to
Janthir Island.. in the last dungeon it is hinted that Caudecus is heading there.

Things is getting pretty insane. GW2 is shaping up to being shounen on steroids.
Taimis idea about pitting Primordus against Jormag is very cool.

I also think the creatures are getting incredible bizarre (in a good way). When every Dragon dies, it passes on its powers to the others. Jormags minions now have the power of Zhaitan (Undead risen) and Modremoth (regenerate tentacles) and that creepy thing you fought in the cave was both undead, had tentacles and was of Ice like Jormag.
So essentially, if Jormag and primordus is defeated the powers of bubbles will be; undead, nature, ice and fire. Its minions will be undead tentacle monsters dripping ice fire from it's undead tentacles. How will it even look like when a ice and fire dragons elements negate one another?

Brahm and Rox are still the weakest of the punch. Brahm spends so much time whining about his mother. And Rox is a side character. I don't think it is worth killing Eir if Rox is just gonna be a new "just sort of comments" type of character. Taimi, Canach, Majory and Kasmeer are awesome, but Brahm and Rox really needs to evolve.

Aurene is both creepy and cute.

As long as you login start the episode it's free? taking a break from GW2, been playing Skyrim one of many games on my backlog thanks to GW2..

Quenk

The new fractal was great and the challenge mode was actually super fun. Definitely challenging but reasonably doable. That last boss is a rush.

So I need some advice.
I bought the game a year before it went free to play but I never really got too into it. Now I'm interested again but I don't have the expansion and I'm not sure I want to dump more money into it yet. Can I still enjoy plenty of the game without it and find stuff to do and people to do with them or has everyone pretty much moved on to the expansion?

I'd be interested in playing with anyone here if they're willing but, I'm still pretty early into the game.

Sonicbug

So I need some advice.
I bought the game a year before it went free to play but I never really got too into it. Now I'm interested again but I don't have the expansion and I'm not sure I want to dump more money into it yet. Can I still enjoy plenty of the game without it and find stuff to do and people to do with them or has everyone pretty much moved on to the expansion?

I'd be interested in playing with anyone here if they're willing but, I'm still pretty early into the game.

There are still plenty of people running around in the original areas because new people are jumping in all the time and daily challenges tend to rotate in and out of old zones. If anything I see more people there than in the HoT areas (except the newest living story one.) People are always still running the world bosses and fractals, just not so much the dungeons anymore. The only thing that kinda sucks about not having the expansion is not being able to glide. I don't think I could go back to not gliding everywhere.

Oh, and if I'm on you can totally flag me down. I like running around leveling alts.

There are still plenty of people running around in the original areas because new people are jumping in all the time and daily challenges tend to rotate in and out of old zones. If anything I see more people there than in the HoT areas (except the newest living story one.) People are always still running the world bosses and fractals, just not so much the dungeons anymore. The only thing that kinda sucks about not having the expansion is not being able to glide. I don't think I could go back to not gliding everywhere.

Oh, and if I'm on you can totally flag me down. I like running around leveling alts.
If I can get into the game I'll definitely shell out some money next month for it (FFXV and W_D2 have robbed me) but I'd love some help. I'm not available on Friday night or Saturday but every other day/time I should be available. I'll send you a PM in a bit with my game info.

Edit: Aha!, now I remember why I don't play this game. My computer is a potato and it runs like ass :( that might put a wrench in my plans

That new shield is a joke...a Legendary joke..Anet design team is a joke...the shield is just pandering the Quaggan stupid following this game has...give me a real Legendary not base on some shit base on a meme...

spiritfox

That new shield is a joke...a Legendary joke..Anet design team is a joke...the shield is just pandering the Quaggan stupid following this game has...give me a real Legendary not base on some shit base on a meme...

The Flameseeker Prophecies is already a good legendary shield. Let them have their fun designs, you can keep your serious ones.

leng jai

The Flameseeker Prophecies is already a good legendary shield. Let them have their fun designs, you can keep your serious ones.

The concept of joke legendaries is stupid though, especially when they're so expensive to make and we've waited 4 years for a new one. Reserve the joke skins for the gem store, not the supposed "end game" gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom