• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

Can someone who has the game say what the "App Link Code" thing is? I saw it in a video while someone was choosing a gig in Live mode I believe.

Also, I really need to see the expert Bangarang chart.

webkatt

Are there any stores selling just the guitar?

I won't get too much into it but I have the game but my guitar has had an accident.

I was trying Advanced...NOPE. Not yet, lol. Still feels weird moving between the 2 colors. Not a complaint, though. Really happy to be able to learn a new rhythm game!

More pictures:

qfDrL9S.jpg

And here's a very (30 seconds) short clip I recorded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVcKv0I2Kto

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What difficulty is the video dude? Easy?

Ahhh I pulled the trigger on it. Won't get here till Thursday but I'm pretty hyped for a new rhythm game to learn. I didn't know it was the team that did DJ Hero, that pretty much sold me on it.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYklZxW5tLk

Good sized video showing both GH TV and GH Live. Really liking the work put into the Live stuff, the bands look legitimate.

I'll tell you what, VR would be one hell of an experience with GH Live if they could work it out.
The UI and the whole design of the menus looks rad (a bit cluttered at times maybe) and I can totally dig the approach with the new controller and what they're trying to do with GHTV given Acti sticks to it in the long run, but holy shit do I cringe my guts out every time I see the live portion of the game. That gathering of douchebags feels like such a bad time it actually bleeds out onto the good looking rest of the game and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I've been playing the game for about 4 hours. I used to play Expert pretty well on Warriors of Rock (also had over 200 hours, 300+ songs to play back then). I tried Expert here and immediately had to dial it back to Advanced. My brain couldn't handle it. Not doing too bad on Advanced though.

I will mention that my guitar seems to register a lot of double strums when strumming down. Figures I'd get a botched controller. Not sure what to do about it. I tried opening it up to see what was wrong but it all seems fine inside.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
From the new guitar to GHTV the whole thing looks so different and fresh, right up my alley. I completely understand people thay wanted more of the same tho, and hey theres always Rock Band for that right?

Yaari

I agree. The menu is very clean. Looking at GHTV though, I don't like the pacing too much. It seems slow. And there's adds. Bleh.

sneaky77

From the new guitar to GHTV the whole thing looks so different and fresh, right up my alley. I completely understand people thay wanted more of the same tho, and hey theres always Rock Band for that right?

yeah I like the idea of songs that change over time and just go and play different stuff for a while.

I played the demo today and tried Expert to start and I just couldn't read the highway and process the button prompts fast enough. The 3 note highway looks super crowded and its hard to differentiate the white picks from the black ones. Adding the open strums and the 1 to 1 chords really ramps up the difficulty.

The gameplay is fun, and hitting the different chord combos feels good. Moving your fingers between the black and white buttons feels incredibly strange after so many years of playing plastic guitars with 5 buttons straight across! But I'm not interested in investing the time it would take to get to Expert level with this new guitar gameplay.

The FMV on-stage stuff does nothing for me. I get what they're going for, but seeing a real life generic band is somehow worse than the custom made characters in Rock Band and past Guitar Hero games.

Megatron

There's no subscription fee to play GT TV? Outside of Gold/Plus that is?

The microtransactions come if you want to play specific songs? Interesting. That SOUNDS pretty bad, but it will depend on how they do it, I guess.

I look forward to the impressions of this and will likely buy it down the road at a discount.

Rhaknar

There's no subscription fee to play GT TV? Outside of Gold/Plus that is?

The microtransactions come if you want to play specific songs? Interesting. That SOUNDS pretty bad, but it will depend on how they do it, I guess.

I look forward to the impressions of this and will likely buy it down the road at a discount.

You dont need plus/gold for GHTV

I will mention that my guitar seems to register a lot of double strums when strumming down. Figures I'd get a botched controller. Not sure what to do about it. I tried opening it up to see what was wrong but it all seems fine inside.

I've noticed that too. Not sure why it's happening.

Bodom78

I'll pass, on disc songs suck and streaming with Aussie internet is a nope.

Hopefully I can find a demo in store as I do want to try out the new button combo.

KaYotiX

Banned
Tried it just now at best buy, I'll prolly get it down the road when it's cheap. Rockband 4 is enough for me atm.

Just don't know if they will support GHTV because it's not making any $ for them. That's my only real concern.

antitrop

Stream is getting me pretty hyped. The chords look so fucking complicated.

When are the reviews dropping for this, morning of the 20th?

So my Best Buy pre-order came bundled with a PS4 Microphone, but does this game even have a vocal mode?

Seems rather silly for Best Buy to throw in the Mic if it doesn't lol

fernoca

So my Best Buy pre-order came bundled with a PS4 Microphone, but does this game even have a vocal mode?

Seems rather silly for Best Buy to throw in the Mic if it doesn't lol
Yep, Best Buy was giving it as an extra to preorders. And yep, there are vocals. Just only played along a guitar/another player, scored by separate too.

Played the demo at GameStop. Not super impressed with it but man could I see it being super challenging. Also GHTV could be a great addition unless no one buys it and it's filled with microtransactions. I may buy it in a couple months.

Yaari

Tried it just now at best buy, I'll prolly get it down the road when it's cheap. Rockband 4 is enough for me atm.

Just don't know if they will support GHTV because it's not making any $ for them. That's my only real concern.

Yeah that's pretty much my concern. Atleast with rB4 you know they want to sell you DLC. What's to sell here, some Guitar Hero currency? I don't know. Doesn't seem like they really have to put their best effort into supplying more content.

Yaari

What's the need for DLC aren't they going to be updating GHTV regularly? Isn't that pretty much the DLC but free?

Yeah correct, which gets us back at my first point, when the DLC is free, what is there for them to sell? I'm not too convinced they will put much effort into signing new artists. That's really what I'm a little worried about.

Yeah correct, which gets us back at my first point, when the DLC is free, what is there for them to sell? I'm not too convinced they will put much effort into signing new artists. That's really what I'm a little worried about.

IIRC the GHTV will also be a mobile app.

You can't deny the size of that audience and the platform is perfect for rhythm music games.

I can see a majority of the GH Coin purchases coming from mobile users.

Rhaknar

Now we bitch that everything is free and there is no dlc

We have come full circle :p

fernoca

Maybe they just want to sell the core game and TV as a service for upcoming games.

Rock Band 4 may be all about selling you DLC, but they also need that DLC money to cover the costs of the many features missing from the main product, which they promised will be added through the months...years.

This is the introduction of GHTV as a service. Maybe next year they will release a subscription service around it, who knows. But is the kind of topic that they're probably leaving for later. Is with "free currency" and people are already complaining about the option to pay real money to also get the currency.

Top Bottom