• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

Initial impressions:

- Suck it, I'm already 5*ing hard stuff on Expert (wassup Pierce the Veil)
- Calibration is ass. I slid it way to the right for the fuck of it, it sounded off, I played a song, and it felt close to right. Not right, but close to right.
- I am having no success with multiplayer. Bought the two guitar pack and I have a sneaking suspicion that the Bluetooth connections are interfering with each other.
- Similarly, I am missing notes for no reason.
- Controllers were designed to be cross console, hence USB dongles on X1 and I presume everywhere else. While I get this was done to cheapen costs, as I mentioned above, it's having an impact on gameplay.
- I don't like the idea of Ho Hey/Mumford/etc. in a GH game but I'll be damned if the concert video wasn't excellently shot and fun to watch
- Hell, every video is excellently shot and fun to watch
- It feels a lot like DJ Hero where it's easy to get into after playing other games for so long; I jumped right into Expert without issues
- Calibration is ass why is it still ass you have four music games under your belt FSG
- Having to unlock songs again is unwelcome for christ's sake we haven't had to do that since Guitar Hero World Tour
- Certain chord shapes are easy. Certain shapes are literally designed to fuck your hand. (White-Black-White, I'm looking at you)
- I find it easier to do index-middle-pinky than index-middle-ring

Overall, so far, I'm very dissatisfied with the product setup- questionable guitars, infuriating multiplayer process, the awful, awful calibration- but the game itself is pretty fun. I look forward to making some videos tomorrow!

Meh, the review contents were good, but I feel like 7.9 was arbitrarily applied to that review. For context, GHWT was given a 7.7 or something and it was basically lambasted for not even being up to par with RB1.

This is my revenge for you having RB3 actually playable on your setup, GHL is perfect on my TV :)

Guerrilla

In Germany, they offer a "9.99€" promotion where you trade in 2 used games which are on a special trade-in list, pay 9.99€ on top and get a new game. They recently added the Guitar Hero bundle to that promo.
The problem is, they forgot to take some Nintendogs games off their list which are now cheap to acquire due to Nintendo Select. So I paid 32€ for two Nintendogs games, paid 9.99€ on top and that's it. Crazy, I know!

Damn, I am from germany and got it on preorder from amazon for 79,90€ But I bet theyll close this loophole soon. Someone is probably already exploiting it for scalping :/

Damn, I am from germany and got it on preorder from amazon for 79,90€ But I bet theyll close this loophole soon. Someone is probably already exploiting it for scalping :/

The current trade-in list is valid until today. Visit a Müller shop, they currently offer 20% discount on games, so you can get them cheap. I think they will close the hole tomorrow.

Not surprising, but still kinda disappointing. I just read that you cannot even restart a song without wasting a play token.

As a Canadian with shitty bandwidth caps, and someone that liked working on a single song at a time to get it right this is really sounding like it's not the game for me anymore. I'm not a fan of the live action distraction either. Not having a proper guitar track is kinda lame too when we all have better sound setups this gen.

fernoca

I guess it will be better if like FreeStyle said, people approach this game (or at least the GHTV mode), with something like Spotify in mind.

In Spotify for free you can search for a song or genre, but can only listen to songs in thst genre, no specifics. It might play your favorite song or the one you actually searched for, but mostly other/new songs. If you pay, you can choose specific songs and can even download songs to play them offline...for as long as you continue paying.

Even if you pay a year which translates into $120, you never own any song. They're all part of a service.

In Guitar Hero Live you pay with either in-game currency or with actual money. The idea of technically never owning anything might scare or disappoint some, but again is just part of a service. You can spend as much as you want or not spend anything. Is how they approached this game and tried to make something unique, rather than just the same..but with videos and 3 fingers. :p

Guerrilla

The current trade-in list is valid until today. Visit a Müller shop, they currently offer 20% discount on games, so you can get them cheap. I think they will close the hole tomorrow.

My wife's birthday is today, and I'll have no time at all to do this today. Well, next time ;) Thanks for the tip though!

really looking forward to this, didn't think I would be this excited for a guitar hero game ever again. It's a little sad though that its clashing with h5 on tuesday next week, but thats still 4 days of guitar rocking bliss ;)

Guerrilla

Only thing that i don't really like about this game

Especially the part where you need to use another token if a song is restarted, hell at least they should make a token be worth 3 plays for the same song imo

Since this is all very new, I think they'll probably change some of the rules.

I'm not all against the system as a whole, I think it'll be kinda nice to have a predefined playlist. We get a whole lot of songs due to this. I'll keep all the tokens for parties probably.

dose

I have a couple of questions.....

OP says that Live quickplay is multiplayer. Does it have online MP or do both players have to be in the same room?

So credits for playing specific tracks on GHTV can only be earned by levelling up? (ignoring purchasing) If that's the case it's surely going to be very hard to get credits later on in the game as you'll be levelling up a lot less.

kulapik

I have a couple of questions.....

OP says that Live quickplay is multiplayer. Does it have online MP or do both players have to be in the same room?

So credits for playing specific tracks on GHTV can only be earned by levelling up? (ignoring purchasing) If that's the case it's surely going to be very hard to get credits later on in the game as you'll be levelling up a lot less.

You get tokens by completing songs, you can buy plays with those tokens

dose

According to something I read on Reddit it's 3 tokens per level and that seems to be it.
Hmm ok, so as I said earlier, as you progress it's going to take you longer to level up, which means less tokens, which then means pushing you to pay.
Sounds pretty bad tbh, I'd prefer to buy tracks as dlc, so I keep the tracks and play them whenever I want. If the above is the case I'm out, they can fuck that.

T.O.P

Banned
Just saw someone play Ho Hey in the live mode

That was pretty damn cool, love all the different festivals the game has

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to connect the second guitar. It just keeps taking over the 1st guitars spot and I cannot assign it to player two. WTF?

dose

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to connect the second guitar. It just keeps taking over the 1st guitars spot and I cannot assign it to player two. WTF?
I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that you have to log in with a different user and assign it to them? (unless that was another game :p)

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that you have to log in with a different user and assign it to them? (unless that was another game :p)
Been doing that. But it just keeps assigning it as player one. Stealing the original guitars spot.

Impulsor

I'm Getting the 2 guitar pack. Even with the token thing. I'm gonna hope they'll fix it or change it or whatever.

PJFJosh

I think you guys are making too big a deal out of the tokens.

I've been playing it off and on for the past week and I've amassed a ton of "Plays" without spending a dime in virtual or real currency.

You get ten for completing the tutorial, another ten when you hit level three and so on. I've spent most of my time in GHTV playing and enjoying new music. That alone has given me a ton of in-game coins (to buy Plays) and actual Plays.

I've found that I'm hardly using the Play tokens because it's more interesting (to me anyway) to just play the songs that come up on GHTV, most of which happen to be the songs I'd use the Play token for anyway.

Purchasing song plays seems pretty reasonable actually, 20 bucks for 150 plays. There are so many Rock Band songs I bought for two dollars and only played five or so times. If you're the practice a song a lot and get full clears kind of player though, I could see it pissing you off, but I'm pretty excited about this model.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Seriously, you can buy the game and never spend another dime while still getting new music every week. This is a paradigm shift. I know everyone is used to the old model but once you try this out it makes the idea of buying new song packs every week seem outdated and a waste of money.

And here's my review as well if you want to know more:
http://www.psnation.com/2015/10/20/review-guitar-hero-live-ps4/

its still a shit system for people that only play 1 song over and over again. Nothing changes that. Of course, this isnt the game for those people, which is fine

I had this happen. Then I went to Quickplay in Live and hit Pause on the second guitar, and it became the second player. It was pretty confusing.
We ended up resetting the console which fixed it. But we have had it happen once more randomly in between songs which was fixed after another reset.

PJFJosh

its still a shit system for people that only play 1 song over and over again. Nothing changes that. Of course, this isnt the game for those people, which is fine

And I think it's those expectations that are causing the problem here. You're right, this isn't the game for those people, it's an entirely new way of looking at the music/rhythm genre.

When it was first announced, I bashed the game for weeks on the podcast. It wasn't until we got a hands-on at E3 that I started to see the potential of what this could be. The final product exceeded my expectations.

Rock Band is still there for people who want the old way but GH Live brings something new and exciting to the table. It's playable MTV (old school 24/7 video showin' MTV)

killroy87

Yeah, I've just come to terms with it. Theres another perfectly good rhythm game out there for people who want it exactly as it was.

Still, not letting people retry is silly. Why not allow like 3 retries each time you buy a song on demand? And if they finish a song, those retries go away. Technically they could still wait until the very end of the song to retry and "cheat" the system, but they won't get any points or anything so it wont matter

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah, I've just come to terms with it. Theres another perfectly good rhythm game out there for people who want it exactly as it was.

Still, not letting people retry is silly. Why not allow like 3 retries each time you buy a song on demand? And if they finish a song, those retries go away. Technically they could still wait until the very end of the song to retry and "cheat" the system, but they won't get any points or anything so it wont matter

because when youre watching MTV you cant retry music videos...

...I assume is their reasoning, even tho TIVO is a thing in 2015, and also MTV ISNT a thing in 2015, not as they want it to be (90s MTV maybe).

But still, I guess thats the reasoning

sonto340

Because that's not what GHLive is for
Why can't I stream any song I want from the Rockband store with money I earned in game?
Because that's not the way the game is designed.

I'm upset that I can't buy tracks and own them forever, but I have rockband to scratch that "old school" Guitar game itch. This is something new, which I'm always game for.

mackattk

I just ended up getting both. I have RB4 for the class guitar play and once they manage to get all the exports up, to play songs as many times as I want.

GH:L for the new guitar configuration, and for GHTV so I don't have to spend money to play new songs.

Top Bottom