• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hair loss :(

anthony2690

Oh man, I'm 32 and my hair is receding pretty damn bad now. šŸ˜­

Fellow GAF members losing their hair, what did you do?

Anything to prevent hair loss? You always see these things advertised like keeps etc, but I get the feeling it is just a scam, but the desperation to not lose my hair completely sucks.

Getting me down a bit, I am thinking off just shaving it all off short, wearing a hat & admitting defeat :(

hair-loss-frame-order.gif

Kenpachii

If it gets bad just get hair implants or whatever they are doing to drop more hairs on your head.

If u can't just shave it or get super short hair. I am 36 now, my dad / his dad and his dad all looked like cavemen hair loss what's that. My mom's side same thing, here i start to look more and more like vegeta.

Last edited:

anthony2690

If it gets bad just get hair implants or whatever they are doing to drop more hairs on your head.

If u can't just shave it or get super short hair. I am 36 now, my dad / his dad and his dad all looked like cavemen hair loss what's that. My mom's side same thing, here i start to look more and more like vegeta.
That's how my hair is looking, I got that vegeta hairline slowly forming šŸ˜­šŸ˜‚

0neAnd0nly

Anything to prevent hair loss? You always see these things advertised like keeps etc, but I get the feeling it is just a scam, but the desperation to not lose my hair completely sucks.

Getting me down a bit, I am thinking off just shaving it all off short, wearing a hat & admitting defeat :(

There is actually prescriptions you can get from your doctor. I feel like a lot of people donā€™t know this.

It isnā€™t something I need, but I worried about it not too long ago as I age - if I would ever need it. So I mentioned casually to my doctor that ā€œthere isnā€™t really anything to take though, is thereā€ - and he was like ā€œactually yes, there are prescriptions that at least help stop itā€.

I had no idea.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I started balding at 27. Now I'm much older and my hair wants to grow in the "ring around the head" fashion. Hair is turning grey so I'm getting a bit of the captain picard look

screen-shot-2018-08-04-at-4-40-22-pm.png

Just gotta own it my guy

Proscar/Finasteride and Rogaine/Minox both work and they do for different reasons.

From my experience, Finasteride will stop follicle shrinking if taken like a religion, but won't magically restore follicles that shrunk too much and either died or degenerated into tiny hair (it'll still restore some of them though). Also, they tell you one pill a day every day but that's bullshit. You can start like that just to get results, first 3 months, but after that do yourself a favour and reduce to 3 pills a week. one every 48 hours and you're golden because it has a half life of it's own (it stays in your systems for two days, which means you can skip days), you'll reduce the side effects this way too.

Rogaine I never tried, but it grows more follicles that were basically gone already. The issue with it is that once you start taking it you can't stop or you'll lose what you gained. Finasteride doesn't have that problem because it only stops what was killing the follicles in the first place, if you stop taking it it'll just start again, from where it is.

I don't know how your hair is right now, but I would start with finasteride if you want to give it a try, you'll only see results after 3 to 6 months.

EDIT: Massaging your head also helps, you don't need tools (micro-needling clearly helps/works, but I've never done it) and will make a difference to your results.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I started losing my hair when in my late teens, early 20s.

The best thing you can do is shave it once it's past the point of no return. It's not that bad in all honesty. Most girls don't mind and rather like it.

cormack12

Gold Member
Is it actually going or thinning?

You can use hair powder to thicken it up or use a decent conditioner to thicken the strands then blow dry it with something like a volumising mousse.

Look at Jude Law as he went through the motions and changed his hair style a lot.

The endgame is shaved though really.

Fbh

At first you can try a short haircut.
I'm currently at a stage where a short buzzcut looks good. Might start shaving in a few years but it's still not that bad.

You can Elon Musk it and get hair implants but it's expensive.
There's also some pills that work but from what I researched you have to take them forever and they can have side effects. One doc I talked to told me there's a newer one that they are starting to use (sadly I don't remember the name) which has fewer side effects, but also increases you hair growth everywhere (not just on your head), which sounds annoying.

cormack12

Gold Member
Speaking of which the longest hair in the human body is the ass hair. It runs from your anus, up into your dermis, traverses the body up into the back and neck and exits near the eye socket as an eyelash.

You can test this by ripping one of your ass hairs out and seeing how much your eyes water.

Kaachan

I'm not a man but if I were and was loosing hair I'd seriously resort to wearing a lace toupee/wig

RnjtQqU.png
3k3BAlS.png

Last edited:

Quasicat

Gold Member
Started losing my hair at 24 and now Iā€™m in my 40s, the top is completely bare. I donā€™t notice it at all anymore. Every school year I am reminded by my 8th graders that Iā€™m bald, but I cut it short and rarely look in the mirror to see it.
The funny thing is, several years ago we put our Senior photos in the staff directory and many of the students told me that I look better without my hairā€¦so go figure. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

anthony2690

Proscar/Finasteride and Rogaine/Minox both work and they do for different reasons.

From my experience, Finasteride will stop follicle shrinking if taken like a religion, but won't magically restore follicles that shrunk too much and either died or degenerated into tiny hair (it'll still restore some of them though). Also, they tell you one pill a day every day but that's bullshit. You can start like that just to get results, first 3 months, but after that do yourself a favour and reduce to 3 pills a week. one every 48 hours and you're golden because it has a half life of it's own (it stays in your systems for two days, which means you can skip days), you'll reduce the side effects this way too.

Rogaine I never tried, but it grows more follicles that were basically gone already. The issue with it is that once you start taking it you can't stop or you'll lose what you gained. Finasteride doesn't have that problem because it only stops what was killing the follicles in the first place, if you stop taking it it'll just start again, from where it is.

I don't know how your hair is right now, but I would start with finasteride if you want to give it a try, you'll only see results after 3 to 6 months.

EDIT: Massaging your head also helps, you don't need tools (micro-needling clearly helps/works, but I've never done it) and will make a difference to your results.
Is there any side effects to this stuff?

anthony2690

Is it actually going or thinning?

You can use hair powder to thicken it up or use a decent conditioner to thicken the strands then blow dry it with something like a volumising mousse.

Look at Jude Law as he went through the motions and changed his hair style a lot.

The endgame is shaved though really.
Thinning at the front, but also got a vegeta hairline forming like someone else mentioned haha

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I'm 38 with a pretty aggressive receding hairline and general thinning up top. My hair also has just a really fine texture to it so it looks thin anyway. Worst of both worlds.

But brotha Im waging a full scale war against it.

I just had the FUE procedure done a month ago where they pluck the follicles out of the back of your head and reinsert them at the front/top. I did 1,800 grafts to start but if it looks good I might get more.

I also got the topical Finastride/Minoxidil solution that goes on my head daily.

I also got the red light therapy laser helmet thing that I rock 25 min a day every other day. Literally looks like a bicycle helmet lol.

Also got the DHT blocking shampoo and the Biotin gummies.

Its only been 4 weeks since I started all this, I dont expect to start seeing results until 3-6 months.

The FUE is probably the only thing that isnt Snake oil but whatever, I decided Im going all in. If I remember Ill report back in 3 months and let you know if it works.

Edit - Whats funny is my hair actually looks thinner right now lol, because all of the above kickstarts the "shed" phase before it build new hairs. But that was to be expected I probably wont see any noticeable improvement until around the new year.

Last edited:
Happens to us all, but I've always been a little confused about hair loss. Is there an ACTUAL way to stop it such as catching it early or suitable treatments?

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Happens to us all, but I've always been a little confused about hair loss. Is there an ACTUAL way to stop it such as catching it early or suitable treatments?

As far as I know Finasteride and Minoxidil are the only actual proven and approved non-surgical treatments. but they tend to work much better at prevention or fixing early balding rather than full restoration. If you've got some advanced balding it might not help as much as you'd hope... might have to go surgical.

Last edited:
As far as I know Finasteride and Minoxidil are the only actual proven and approved non-surgical treatments. They tend to work much better at prevention or fixing early balding rather than full restoration.
But the downside is that you have to constantly take them to enjoy the benefits. The only effective method with staying power are hair transplants and they cost 1000s plus side-effects. I can't help but think these snake-oil salesman and their quick fixes are partly to blame.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Yeah thats 100% true, the topical route you're going to have to do it everyday forever which sucks. Once you stop the gains are gonna be lost.

Im trying it now, if its actually effective ill have to figure out how to just work it into m daily routine until Im old enough I dont care anymore.

Im with you the hair transplants are probably the most real and permanent fix. I did that too haha. But yeah that shit was pricey!

MastAndo

But the downside is that you have to constantly take them to enjoy the benefits. The only effective method with staying power are hair transplants and they cost 1000s plus side-effects. I can't help but think these snake-oil salesman and their quick fixes are partly to blame.
As far as I know, you still have to take finasteride after transplants to try and keep the hair that wasn't implanted.

My hair is a disaster, but I don't have the balls for elective surgery nor do I want to be on pills with potential side effects to try and keep what I have left. I'm just trying to get in better shape/add some muscle so when I eventually do buzz it all off, I'll look like less of an alien. Buzzing it off and owning it does sound really liberating, especially if you can pull it off.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Damn. How much bang did you have to drop and why go back to the topical remedies?

I think mine was $7 per graft and I did 1,800 so about $12k. Its only been a month so I cant tell what it'll actually look like yet, but it seems to be healing well.

Im still doing the topicals though to preserve the hair that I did have... I wasnt totally bald I still had a few resistance fighters up there.

My doc told me if I got on the topicals to save what i had left and possibly grow back a few that recently died off I would get a fuller look, so I figured I would give it a shot and see what happens.

Last edited:
I think mine was $7 per graft and I did 1,800 so about $12k. Its only been a month so I cant tell what it'll actually look like yet, but it seems to be healing well.

Im still doing the topicals though to preserve the hair that I did have... I wasnt totally bald I still had a few resistance fighters up there.

My doc told me if I got on the topicals to save what i had left and possibly grow back a few that recently died off I would get a fuller look, so I figured I would give it a shot and see what happens.
Keep us posted to see what happens. $12K is a lot of money, but since transplants do tend to be permanent I say they're worth it.

Is there any side effects to this stuff?
Depends on the fellow. Finasteride, I started at 26 (I'm 36 now), and initially and taking it once a day every day I had a decrease in libido which is the biggest thing most people notice. It can make you a bit more cranky/less patient/more aggressive and if anyone is depressed I'd say it could tilt the scales into further depression, if you're paranoid, the same thing.

These weren't too bad for me and aren't for most people that don't have a pre-existing tendency for any of those. After a few months you adjust and function just the same as before, the side effects effectively gone. Regardless, as I said I prefer to function with a bit less finasteride than what's prescribed if you just want to maintain. For the first month to an year you probably can't avoid normal dosage (1 mg per day). Some people like to buy proscar, which is for same substance (but with 5 times the dosage with 5 mg and that way they can take a bigger dosage. I don't recommend it, but doable.

Minox/Rogaine, I never used, but it can hit skin fairness, you can get acne, some rashes kinda as if it was abrasive. It's also supposed to have a specific smell, and you have to sleep with it applied. A bit unpractical.
Finasteride will do that for most people.

If I started at 22 or something, I would have all my hair. Thing is at first you don't notice you're thinning because all your hair is there, just experiencing minification (hair width getting smaller)

You can still lose some, as it only decreases in 70% what causes male pattern hair loss (it's DHT), but it should be enough to keep everything, yes.

Most people taking finasteride stagnate or almost stagnate. In my case it 100% stagnates.

Last edited:

Congrats bro. You're a man now

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You can greatly hinder hair loss if you start before a lot if it falls out.

OTC items:

Dht blockers - helped me a lot and actually started growing a FEW new hairs for me. A big side effect is it can also help clear up skin problems.

Also a shampoo like below .. also helps stop loss.

PURA D'OR Original Gold Label Anti-Thinning Biotin Shampoo, CLINICALLY TESTED Proven Results, Herbal DHT Blocker Hair Thickening Products For Women & Men, Natural Shampoo For Color Treated Hair, 16oz https://a.co/d/d8bpkWr

But again if you wait until itā€™s all gone then you canā€™t do much. You can try prescription meds but I wouldnā€™t until you find nothing else works

Last edited:
Grass donā€™t grow on a busy street.

Shave it and get a hat vs dousing your body with chemicals or surgery. And if youā€™re thinking about a rug, just donā€™t.

The fact is you will care about balding more than anyone else ever will.

Stinkbug

Neo Member
I think most men look fine with a shaved head. Maybe there's 1% of men with mishapen heads that I wouldn't have any advice for, but in general a shaved head does not look as bad as you might imagine it, it just takes some getting used to. Sure, having decent hair would be preferable, but with your options going shaved-bald might be the best one. I started balding at like 19 and kept my hair for too long, when I look back at pictures of myself just before I started shaving it, I looked pretty gross... Also, of course balding hair is not inherently bad looking, it's just we're conditioned to see it as ugly, same as fat people. I hope in the future styles will change and it will be perfectly acceptable for young men to rock the horse shoe! If you want to start that trend I say go for it. Also I think after a certain age the horseshoe look is acceptable. Once I reach my 50s or so, I intend to grow back my hair, b/c honestly I miss having hair. I don't miss getting haircuts though

Last edited:
Well genetics you can't really change much but if you want to slow it down, definitely throw away those Head and Shoulder type of shampoos that are aggressive as fuck and go to pharmacy or one of those shops that sell bio products and get some plant based shampoo.

Tams

Yes. So you need to choose what to do now.

I waited and lost quite a lot. I can just about cover the baldness. I'm using finasteride.

For preventing hair loss, there only two known things that work. The drugs finasteride and dutasteride. Only finasteride is recognised by regulators as a potential treatment. Dutasteride is quite widely found to work (better even), but the academic evidence isn't there yet.

Bear in mind that this is playing with hormones. Hereditary hair loss is due to excessive DHT (gives you 'energy') production. It kills the hair roots.

As for getting hair back. Only minoxidal is known to work. You can also get hair transplants, though keep in mind that the more you save, the easier snd cheaper that will be.

As these are all drugs, they can have side effects. Minoxidal in particular should be used with caution as it was invented to lower blood pressure, though higher doses are used for that.

Finasteride and dutasteride should not come into contact with pregnant women. People trying to concieve sometimes go off the drugs for a while for that.

You can of course choose to have a bald patch or go full bald and shave.

I recommend r/tressless. Before taking drugs you should ideally consult a professional, but most doctors are clueless about male pattern baldness and some of the few professionals try to rip you off selling the drugs for more than they are worth.

Anyway, as I said, choose what you want to do now. You won't have a choice later.

Last edited:
My hair was thinning that but I did 2 things to stop my hair loss:

1. Use a dht blocking shampoo. I use Revita by DS labs.

2. I take a hair supplement with Saw Palmetto in it. Saw palmetto is scientifically proven to help a little bit with hair loss.

3. Rosemary oil. According to research it is equivalent to 2% minoxidil (5% minoxidil is what you get at the chemists).

4. I used to do dermarolling as well but got lazy after a while.

The thing is that my goal was to stop the thinning and hair breakage and that seems to work. For regrowth, you need Finasteride and Minoxidil - and both of these had side effects which scared me so I never bothered.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
leafy greens/greens/roots/tubers and other veggies, berries/citrus/fruits and good fats and sunshine/vitamin D. pounds of it per week. make smoothies and slow cook stews/soups to make it easier to digest. unfortunately gotta eat less (animal) protein more beans/fiber so its harder to grow muscle/brain or learn new things which i miss tbh but at least you'll have nice skin/hair. hair requires a steady supply of nutrients and energy throughout the day everyday just to maintain it let alone grow it and the fiber in vegetation is key since the food digests slowly and stays in your system which your hair will be able to feed off of. you'll also be able to do more cardio/physical work. when you gotta do some more mental work and learning then you gotta switch gears, take a break and go back to more protein for a bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom