• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half of Detroit’s Streetlights May Go Out as City Shrinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
Another great slideshow, including abandoned theaters and libraries.

Offices-Highland-Park-Pol-007.jpg

This abandoned police station really creeps me out for some reason...

That's some shit straight out of Batman.

ToxicAdam

I always wonder, be curious to hear how GAF thinks, Do you guys think Detroit will ever turn it around? I mean it is interesting in a very morbid way to watch an entire city disintegrate, but surely something can be done?

Detroit's been declining for 40 years. It's not like it just happened in the past decade.

So really, the only way for it to 'turn around' is to start operating like a city that has half a million people, instead of a city that once had a million people. Part of that process is demolishing a lot infrastructure and coaxing people together (to service them more efficiently).

Tim-E

This stuff is fascinating and severely depressing at once. Seeing this and beeing in coal-dominated areas in West Virginia give me an idea of what my home town is most likely going to look like in 30 years when that industry is gone. This area's economy relies entirely on one dying industry and is doing nothing to soften the blow when it goes away completely.

Chococat

I grew up in Auburn Hills, a small city directly beside Rochester Hills. Rochester Hills and Auburn Hills are about an hour to an hour and a half away from Detroit, and they are their own individual cities. The closest connection they have to Detroit is the term “Metro Detroit”, which is applied to all nearby cities filled with the people who have wisely abandoned Detroit.

Truth. Real Detroit is located in Wanye County, not Oakland County where Rochester Hills is located. Rochester Hill is one of the richest satellite towns (aka Metro Detroit)- comparing it to Detroit is night and day. If Wayne County generated even a quarter of the money (in taxes) Oakland does, they would be much better off.

That being said, I live in Metro Detroit (12 mile and I-75) and I do wish for Detroit to do well. In the last few years, the suburbs have taken over paying for the Detroit Zoo though self imposed taxes, instead of letting it close.

The problem is that Detroit will never be what it was in the past (a manufacturing giant), it needs to evolve. The people in political power are fighting against that evolution. Highlighting just one problem- to save money and increase the quality of education, Detroit serious need to consolidate more schools- they do not have the population nor the money to justify keeping so many buildings open. Instead of doing the hard things that are needed, the school board is squabbling with the State to retain their local power over the schools. Kids sit in class rooms with bucket catching water from leaky roof while administrator line their offices with cherry wood filing cabinets. Its maddening.

There are plenty of average people who are working toward trying to reinvent Detroit from the inside and out. Old political cronyism and racism is blocking the way.

Dead Man

What's so disturbing about many of those photos isn't just the decay of beautiful architecture, but the fact that many of the places are overflowing with abandoned books, paperwork, and other materials.

I mean, you'd expect a closed library or police station to at least clear out their stuff before leaving. It almost looks like they fled the buildings and didn't have time to do it.

Yeah, seems like budgets get cut and everyone walks out without notice. A massive waste of resources if nothing else. Sell it, scrap it, something. Get a couple pennies for it.

Detroit is one of the most fascinating cities in the world, people throughout the rust belt and in countries with negative population growth like Japan and Italy should be paying attention.

Was gonna say the exact same thing.

I hope urban planners, demographers, sociologists, .... are doing countless of studies and projects on Detroit.

Shiv47

Jesus, I gotta laugh at the dude talking about downtown Detroit like it's something out of Escape From New York. I've lived in metro Detroit for 15 years, and in 15 years of going into the main cultural area of the city for school (grad school at Wayne State) and going to Lions and Tigers games, the Detroit Symphony, the Institute of Art, rock shows at the Majestic and Magic Stick, etc, I've never had anything happen other than a panhandler asking for money. And I've done plenty of this by myself. There are some truly fucked up, shitty areas of the city, but to say that you're taking your life in your hands once you cross into the city limits is total bullshit.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

SpacLock

Downtown Detroit isn't that bad. There's some actual good areas left if you'd actually visit the city. Don't get me wrong, it's still the worst place to live.

midonnay

well....... there were stories in the past of giving parts of Uganda or Australia to the jews to establish the state of Israel....

why not give the Palestinians Detroit? >_>

sure crime might be bad, but it'll probably be like Tuesday for them :/

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Hence why I said except for that.

I was reinforcing your point. :)

Thousands of towns and villages in the former USSR are completely abandoned because the one factory they depended on closed. The declining population is all clustering in a few areas.

That and when the USSR collapsed they had a military budget just as large as the USA has now (if you take inflation into account). When that bottomed out they just upped and left their shit behind. Entire bases, missile silos and sites were left just to be raided by looters. And that includes radioactive materials, such as their lighthouses. http://englishrussia.com/2009/01/06/abandoned-russian-polar-nuclear-lighthouses/

LakeEarth

Jesus, I gotta laugh at the dude talking about downtown Detroit like it's something out of Escape From New York. I've lived in metro Detroit for 15 years, and in 15 years of going into the main cultural area of the city for school (grad school at Wayne State) and going to Lions and Tigers games, the Detroit Symphony, the Institute of Art, rock shows at the Majestic and Magic Stick, etc, I've never had anything happen other than a panhandler asking for money. And I've done plenty of this by myself. There are some truly fucked up, shitty areas of the city, but to say that you're taking your life in your hands once you cross into the city limits is total bullshit.

I was once lost in Detroit, and people were really nice and helped me get my bearings. So I agree with this post.

The advice? "Just go towards the tall buildings to re-center yourself". I felt dumb.

frequency

We haven't even mentioned the fact that whites got scared in the late 1960s and started leaving the cities in droves. And that Coleman Young was an asshole who did NOTHING to try and rehabilitate the city's image, but basically encouraged the white/black divide, and he kept getting re-elected.

And then there's the fact that the Big Three basically pushed the automobile as the future and Detroit as its shining example. Fifty years later and the urban sprawl is flat-out nasty. There's no public transit to speak of besides a decimated bus system that no one rides because "only poor people ride the bus".

There's a ton of reasons why Detroit is what it is today. There's no reason to think it can't be fixed, but it will take a lot of time, money and effort. As a former resident of the metro area, I would like to see it one day be a better city.

EDIT: Also, should mention they do have a Whole Foods now.

I guess I never imagined moving would be such an "easy" thing that so many people did it. I forget how big a deal the white/black thing is in America. No public transit in a big city would also hurt any chance of business starting there I guess. It all sounds really bad.
But it also sounds like this is a thing that could happen to any city.

Someone else posted earlier that a lot of the land could be turned into farmland? I guess that's good for the planet at least...

This is all very interesting. I wish there was a documentary or something I could watch about it.

I wonder why the American cars don't do as well anymore. I thought cars were still getting more and more popular. Are Americans just not buying American cars anymore?

Sorry for being dumb :(

My best knowledge of Detroit before this thread was just that they have a really good hockey team and when there are camera shots from the sky down to the arena, it looks like a big fancy city.

FartOfWar

Banned
It's a long and complicated story that I don't entirely understand. Basically, the United States used to be the world's manufacturing powerhouse, since it had the most and most modern infrastructure and a huge supply of metal from American mines. However, in the sixties and seventies, most of the metal ran out, the infrastructure became old (compared to the newer infrastructure in Germany, Japan, etc.), and US manufacturing couldn't compete, and the entire industry collapsed, putting huge amounts of people out of jobs.

Some cities in the north, like Detroit and Cleveland, were mainly devoted to manufacturing, and when the jobs left, so did the people...at least, those who could leave. The cities began to decay. Detroit is probably the most severe case of this.

Ugh, you're damn right you don't entirely understand the story.

They need to do something to get people to move closer to the center of the city.

They've been doing things like this in other cities in Michigan (Flint, most notably and documented on...I think it was 20/20). The burden on city services (police, fire fighters, water, electric, garbage, road maintenance, etc.) is too great for the existing taxpayer base. Cities have been helping finance people moving closer in. Subsidizing moving costs and such.

This is something they wish they could have done years ago. I assume it was the politics and disappointment that came with accepting that Detroit wasn't going to surge back to 1960's form again.

I sincerely hope that the stubborn old people don't fight this too hard.

I wish I was making a decent amount of money, I would start buying up land.
and you'd just be another person helping fuck the city over by buying land and leaving it abandoned, waiting on the day it'll be worth more so you can sell it. No intention to do anything with the land. No intention to maintain it. No intention to even check on it.

That same mentality has been fucking over Detroit and its recovery for decades. But I'm sure you didn't know that.

and you'd just be another person helping fuck the city over by buying land and leaving it abandoned, waiting on the day it'll be worth more so you can sell it. No intention to do anything with the land. No intention to maintain it. No intention to even check on it.

That same mentality has been fucking over Detroit and its recovery for decades. But I'm sure you didn't know that.

Who said I was leaving it empty? Thanks for being a presumptuous ass.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Feel like Detroit should just do something drastic. Like cut their city borders to a small core area and just level the rest of it.

Also some of the descriptions of detroit are silly in regards to the downtown area. I used to drive to and through detroit when I lived in that region and the downtown looks and feels like any other big city. Sadly the descriptions of the rest of the city are spot on.

ToxicAdam

I wish I was making a decent amount of money, I would start buying up land.

You can't be in two places at once. You can't make decent money somewhere and then devote the time and energy it takes to revitalize property.

That's what dreams-vision was trying to say.

You can't be in two places at once. You can't make decent money somewhere and then devote the time and energy it takes to revitalize property.

That's what dreams-vision was trying to say.

Oh, I know that. If they cut the city limits and focused on moving people. You could tear down all the buildings that are vacant around the new city limits. Slowly build a few suburbs around Detroit and move a company (if you have one) in the city. Start a new business around town.

But I don't have that kind of money or a business and politics would kill me. D:

Who said I was leaving it empty? Thanks for being a presumptuous ass.

lol.

Look man, I wasn't looking to start a fight. However if that's how you feel then by all means, lay your business plan on us. Tell me how you were going to open up X business to serve Y community, despite your transparent post. Make it believable if you can.

But let's be real about this: Nobody says "I should start buying me up some land in Detroit!" without their underlying thought process being something like, "wow, all that land is going to be sold for cheap! If I buy some, I could cash in later when the area doesn't suck anymore!" Weren't thinking about opening a business in Detroit because you didn't mention any location and I doubt you have the small business investment funds to do so in such a struggling city anyway. That money would be better spent in...well anywhere else.

Or, you can continue being dishonest about the intent behind your words to save some pride, as though you were the first to think them. I'd rather you learn from my reply: that many have bought land and property with the EXPRESS intention your words allude to: buy & hold, then sell for profit. The problem in Detroit has been that people buy & hold...then do nothing. Homes purchased by out-of-towners end up abandoned (because nobody wants to actually love in these homes in horrid neighborhoods, because up-keep of a house is fucking expensive, and because new owners never come to check on them). Homes end up broken into and looted for their copper and other valuables and/or drug dealers set up shop, knowing there will be nobody to stop them. After all, the enterprising out-of-town owners are hundreds of miles away in another state, waiting for the rebound and cash-out. So popular was the idea that it hurt Detroit even more, keeping property value perpetually low and robbing the city of precious tax base. Whether you admit your position or not, at least understand why it's such a bad idea. I went to the University of Michigan and my ex double-majored in grad school in Public Policy and Urban Development (which means I was too, reading and studying with her). I can find probably dig up some documentation if you were so inclined...but your comment was obviously not meant to be that serious anyway. It was just an opportunity to bring illumination.

IIRC, they've passed some city laws that require owners to live in the homes X days/year, but I'm not sure how that's veriifed or managed.

Oh, I know that. If they cut the city limits and focused on moving people. You could tear down all the buildings that are vacant around the new city limits. Slowly build a few suburbs around Detroit and move a company (if you have one) in the city. Start a new business around town.

But I don't have that kind of money or a business and politics would kill me. D:
Be honest! That's not what you meant at all. That's such a long range plan, your original comment doesn't even make sense in this context. Do you know how long this project Detroit is working on is going to take them? At least another decade. Probably more. You were talking of potentially buying property NOW...presumably (going back to my point) to hold until the new "renaissance", at which time you can find a way to make money.

It's part of the problem, dogg. At no offense intended. But we all know nobody buys land 10-15 years before they can use it (with a possibility that they can never use it) with the plan to open up a business there in like...2025. Maybe some large multi-national who can afford to do that.

This stuff is fascinating and severely depressing at once. Seeing this and beeing in coal-dominated areas in West Virginia give me an idea of what my home town is most likely going to look like in 30 years when that industry is gone. This area's economy relies entirely on one dying industry and is doing nothing to soften the blow when it goes away completely.

My man. Former South Charlestonian in the house (meth lab capital!). Where are you from?

Be honest! That's not what you meant at all. That's such a long range plan, your original comment doesn't even make sense in this context. Do you know how long this project Detroit is working on is going to take them? At least another decade. Probably more. You were talking of potentially buying property NOW...presumably (going back to my point) to hold until the new "renaissance", at which time you can find a way to make money.

It's part of the problem, dogg. At no offense intended. But we all know nobody buys land 10-15 years before they can use it (with a possibility that they can never use it) with the plan to open up a business there in like...2025. Maybe some large multi-national who can afford to do that.

I was being honest, I have no reason to lie about it. Of course I would be interested in the money aspect of it all, but it would be great to help a community and grow with it. My original comment was if I was making decent money I would buy cheap land now. It would be the perfect time to start. But I don't have money, politics would kill me and I don't have the ten years to keep up with property taxes if they go up.

What's so disturbing about many of those photos isn't just the decay of beautiful architecture, but the fact that many of the places are overflowing with abandoned books, paperwork, and other materials.

I mean, you'd expect a closed library or police station to at least clear out their stuff before leaving. It almost looks like they fled the buildings and didn't have time to do it.

this actually. People's information is right there for the taking, an identity thief's dream really. Books that might worth something if they were simply sold left to rot into oblivion.

How is it that the American way of dealing with "old stuff" and "financial problems" is: leave it to rot in the fucking dessert?
(the Arizona plane graveyard, which should really be reused, but instead is just left to sit there)

Sorry for being dumb :(

My best knowledge of Detroit before this thread was just that they have a really good hockey team and when there are camera shots from the sky down to the arena, it looks like a big fancy city.

Don't apologize as you have nothing to apologize for. It's not like the U.S. broadcasts the failure of Detroit on an international scale. I imagine that poster has not been since its collapse, and himself has no idea how bad things have gotten there.

this actually. People's information is right there for the taking, an identity thief's dream really. Books that might worth something if they were simply sold left to rot into oblivion.

How is it that the American way of dealing with "old stuff" and "financial problems" is: leave it to rot in the fucking dessert?
(the Arizona plane graveyard, which should really be reused, but instead is just left to sit there)

Maintenance budgets were one of the first ones slashed over the last twenty years. There simply isn't the money left to pay people to clear out the buildings. :(

I checked out my old neighborhood just now... seven and Van Dyke... and was surprised to see my old house still standing. The one next to it is boarded but the one a couple houses down was wrecked to high heaven and I remember how beautiful that lady kept it. Whole neighborhood looks ragged though. Makes me sad.

Prez

Maintenance budgets were one of the first ones slashed over the last twenty years. There simply isn't the money left to pay people to clear out the buildings. :(

Actually, a place like a library could hold a sale. $1 a book, $5 for furniture, etc. and the buyers would be the ones clearing out the building. The people working at the sale could be paid with that money and there would still be a profit.

Koomaster

Exactly! That's the weirdest part for me and makes some of those pics super creepy. It's as if everyone just fled and didn't look back.

I went through that slideshow of just above.

It's sad. Such great looking architecture. Place looking like Gotham City in a weird way.

Why wont they just clean the buildings out, or demolish them. get federal funding. That would be temp work for a small chunk of people for a tad bit. It's weird they leave all the paperwork and books behind as well, like they are fleeing a warzone with bombs coming down.

Mitsurux

I agree totally....

For instance, i got my car towed once while at a tiger game (Comerica Park.. it was my fault), but anyways inpound lot was well beyond Michigan Central... so me and my friend walked all the way there to get the car out.. through downtown out past old Tiger Stadium, past the abandond train station, through the rough neighbor hood to get my car.... and i lived to tell the tale.. (In fact there were few people even out and about)

Detroit trully never recovered from the riots in 68' and that just increased the speed of people leaving the city for the suburbs.... while there are lots of bright sopts (Alot of them down town in "Fox town" , Greek Town, Around Wayne State University, and the new Center Area, Mexican Town et.c) alot of the actual out lying Neighborhood of Detroit are in bad shape.

The City is way to big Area wise and the population is to low to bing in enough Tax money to provide services.... whichis why the plans to contract the city are moving forward....

My mom and Aunt tell me stories all the time about when they grew up in detroit and it sounds like it wa a very nice place to live.....inthe late 40's early 50's

If you're not from the USA and you aren't super interested in the culture, it's easy to forget that some places over there aren't like Manhattan. Especially considering Detroit is a pretty big outlier.. I don't think any other big city had that sort of development over the last 50 years.

There's still this notion around the world that the US is a shining beacon of prosperity. To many, the idea that one of its great cities has decayed this far is absurd.

endre

There's still this notion around the world that the US is a shining beacon of prosperity. To many, the idea that one of its great cities has decayed this far is absurd.

And this isn't even the first time. There was this episode of Top Gear in season 9 when they visited the USA and they just couldn't believe how bad New Orleans looked years after hurricane Katrina.

The USA would be my dream country if they'd embrace some stuff from the European "socialist" countries.

And this isn't even the first time. There was this episode of Top Gear in season 9 when they visited the USA and they just couldn't believe how bad New Orleans looked years after hurricane Katrina.

The USA would be my dream country if they'd embrace some stuff from the European "socialist" countries.

Truthfully New Orleans wasn't the nicest/cleanest place even before Katrina.

Thanks for this, now I don't have to say it. Cheers.

This thread is fascinating to read. Thanks for the education.

Mogk said landowners can demand many times what property would fetch on the open market.

So fucking stupid. Thank goodness they are shutting down services. Their desperation and greed is hurting Detroit. The population needs to be consolidated.

endre

Truthfully New Orleans wasn't the nicest/cleanest place even before Katrina.

TY. I did not know. I tried to comment on the fact that it seems that the government does not rebuild or try to save these places like in other industrialized countries. Japan did a remarkable job in that department. Cant even think of the disaster if a similar quake/tsunami hit the west coast.

kswiston

There are tons of cool things to see and do in Detroit. You just have to avoid the run down neighbourhoods. To the person suggestion that Canadian people should cross through Sarnia to avoid downtown Detroit, I think you are just being paranoid. I lived in Windsor for 20 years and there's nothing wrong with the area of Detroit that the tunnel crossing leads to. Plus, you're on the I375 in like 3 minutes from that crossing. You don't even have to see Detroit (other than the highway) if you don't want to.

I agree totally....

For instance, i got my car towed once while at a tiger game (Comerica Park.. it was my fault), but anyways inpound lot was well beyond Michigan Central... so me and my friend walked all the way there to get the car out.. through downtown out past old Tiger Stadium, past the abandond train station, through the rough neighbor hood to get my car.... and i lived to tell the tale.. (In fact there were few people even out and about)

Detroit trully never recovered from the riots in 68' and that just increased the speed of people leaving the city for the suburbs.... while there are lots of bright sopts (Alot of them down town in "Fox town" , Greek Town, Around Wayne State University, and the new Center Area, Mexican Town et.c) alot of the actual out lying Neighborhood of Detroit are in bad shape.

The City is way to big Area wise and the population is to low to bing in enough Tax money to provide services.... whichis why the plans to contract the city are moving forward....

My mom and Aunt tell me stories all the time about when they grew up in detroit and it sounds like it wa a very nice place to live.....inthe late 40's early 50's

My dad told stories of shopping trips into Detroit back in the 50s, of miles of streets between bustling buildings that would keep going uninterrupted far to the west and south as major transportation arteries of the US. I went to there a few years ago to visit relatives and the "hugeness" yet meticulous layout was astonishing even in the bad sections, but especially in the good sections far from downtown.

TY. I did not know. I tried to comment on the fact that it seems that the government does not rebuild or try to save these places like in other industrialized countries. Japan did a remarkable job in that department. Cant even think of the disaster if a similar quake/tsunami hit the west coast.

Good money after bad; we have other sections of the country that are growing or even rebounding successfully from the same ills that Detroit failed to (Pittsburgh, NYC, etc). Also note the problems Japan is having with a decentralized disaster zone and rebuilding dozens of tiny enclaves for an elderly (voting) populous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom