• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half of Detroit’s Streetlights May Go Out as City Shrinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

t26

TY. I did not know. I tried to comment on the fact that it seems that the government does not rebuild or try to save these places like in other industrialized countries. Japan did a remarkable job in that department. Cant even think of the disaster if a similar quake/tsunami hit the west coast.

The areas near the radiation in still in a lot of trouble. People that could leave already left. The one that stay still don't know if there will be any long term affects.

As for California they managed to get through major earthquake in 89 and 94, so I think they can survive.

kswiston

My dad told stories of shopping trips into Detroit back in the 50s, of miles of streets between bustling buildings that would keep going uninterrupted far to the west and south as major transportation arteries of the US.

Your parents sound older than mine, but both of my parents remember watching Detroit burn from across the Detroit River during the 1967 riot. Must have been nuts to watch a city in chaos while things were fine on the Canadian side less than a kilometer away. The city never really recovered after that riot either. I think it accelerated the migration of people out of the city center and into the suburbs and surrounding cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom