• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - Media blow out

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
HYPE! Looks amazing. For me, the changes I will appreciate the most going from Bungie to 343 will the storytelling and mood that Halo 4 exhibits.

abadguy

Banned

They did an amazing job graphically with this game, and the art direction cannot be praised enough. I can't imagine how jaw dropping Halo 5 will look on Durango.

Also i must remember to never read comments on that site when i watch videos, every time someone complains about a Halo game not having "Aim down sites" and the very idea of it being in a Halo game, makes me want to kick a kitten.

Roche

Yeah, I know it causes drama (asking that), but I'd like to just listen to the weapon and environmental sound effects. Was just replaying Halo 3 and the music is loud.

You could probably play a track on the Xbox music thingy, it mutes music for most games. Just turn down the volume on the song you played and you should be good to go.

I'm actually really liking the kill cams and loadouts however I'm cautious as to how well it'll play in MP.

Allowing the player to have whatever weapon set they want does seem counter intuitive. One of the greatest things the franchise has always done with regards to MP is starting everyone on an even playing field and then making them fight over the power weapons, it reinforces player movement and keeps the game going. I'm fearful that with this new direction games will de-evolve into a campfest.

what is the player count for the different competitive gametypes BTW?

wwm0nkey

I'm actually really liking the kill cams and loadouts however I'm cautious as to how well it'll play in MP.

Allowing the player to have whatever weapon set they want does seem counter intuitive. One of the greatest things the franchise has always done with regards to MP is starting everyone on an even playing field and then making them fight over the power weapons, it reinforces player movement and keeps the game going. I'm fearful that with this new direction games will de-evolve into a campfest.

what is the player count for the different competitive gametypes BTW?

So far the BR, DMR and Carbine all have the same kill time and those will be the weapons most people use anyways.

New logo wouldn't look bad if it wasn't for the terrible art design.

KPOnJ.png
I like it. You guys are just jaded. It matches the new tone and aesthetic of Halo 4.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
lmfao
IGN technologies interview -
Every time they talk about something that could go wrong with a halo, they show footage of Halo: Reach

Muffdraul

Yeah, I know it causes drama (asking that), but I'd like to just listen to the weapon and environmental sound effects. Was just replaying Halo 3 and the music is loud.

I had issues in Halo 2 and 3 with certain weapons sounding way, way too quiet. In Halo 2 it was the sniper rifle and the shotgun, in Halo 3 it was the AR and the the BR. They just sounded so wimpy and unsatisfying. I always assumed it was Marty forcing Jay to toe the line and make sure the weapons didn't get in the way of the music. No other explanation of how those wimpy sound fx got past QA makes any sense to me.

New Cortana is def hot, but she no longer looks like a luminous being made of light. She looks like some cosplay chick who blue herself. Hmm... maybe that's the point.

Cosigned. Anyone who doesn't think Bungie's next game is going to look amazing is cray.

Anyone who didn't think Halo 3 and Reach looked amazing is cray. Or has a huge tumo in their visua corte.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I'm serious when I say this.

Is this area playable? Just seems too good to be true.

Amazing scale and scope.

That's absolutely playable, though you won't necessarily see it from that angle in first person play.

Woorloog

Banned
Anyone who didn't think Halo 3 and Reach looked amazing is cray. Or has a huge tumo in their visua corte.

Anyone who thinks either one is without flaws (art or technical side) is cray.
Consider the faces in Halo 3. Pretty bad even for that time, Mass Effect had way better facial models.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm serious when I say this.

Is this area playable? Just seems too good to be true.

Amazing scale and scope.

Yeah, I'd say that looks playable. See the little purple shield and covenant on the ground in the lower left corner.

I'd say it's the back of Forward Onto Dawn (because of the round objects in the middle, saying "Forward Onto Dawn" and that's the Dyson Sphere in the background, behind the covenant ships.

Muffdraul

Anyone who thinks either one is without flaws (art or technical side) is cray.
Consider the faces in Halo 3. Pretty bad even for that time, Mass Effect had way better facial models.

Anyone who thinks anything is without flaws is a jackass.

I wouldn't hold Halo 3's human faces up as pinnacles of design and execution, but generally speaking as you play through the game they don't look as bad as that one shot of Lord Hood everyone always posts to "prove Halo 3 had shitty graphics." Taken as a whole it was mostly eyecandy as far as I'm concerned. Not-really-HD or not.

Woorloog

Banned
Anyone who thinks anything is without flaws is a jackass.

I wouldn't hold Halo 3's human faces up as pinnacles of design and execution, but generally speaking as you play through the game they don't look as bad as that one shot of Lord Hood everyone always posts to "prove Halo 3 had shitty graphics." Taken as a whole it was mostly eyecandy as far as I'm concerned. Not-really-HD or not.

True. Halo 3 looks very nice, good use of color. Vibrant, excellent HDR.
Lack of AA hurt it bad though. Higher resolution would have alleaviated that issue of course.

My biggest fear for Halo 4 is that it will have frame rate drops, like Reach had. Reach's weren't common but when they happened, they were really bad.
And splitscreen in Reach is nearly unplayable at times due to extremly short draw distance.

Overdoziz

Banned
Frank, does Halo 4 finally allow the option to turn the music off in the settings?
From what I remember the options menu looked exactly the same as the one in Reach. It seems that adding extra options is all the way at the bottom of the priority list of stuff to add in Halo 4, disappointing to say the least. Marty O'Donnel was arrogant enough to think that nobody needed the option to turn off any of the audio (He pretty much said so himself) and apparently 343 doesn't deem it necessary either. Personally I would find it extremely silly if Halo 4 didn't allow you to adjust audio settings, especially because it's MS's flagship franchise and it's fucking 2012.

From what I remember the options menu looked exactly the same as the one in Reach. It seems that adding extra options is all the way at the bottom of the priority list of stuff to add in Halo 4, disappointing to say the least. Marty O'Donnel was arrogant enough to think that nobody needed the option to turn off any of the audio (He pretty much said so himself) and apparently 343 doesn't deem it necessary either. Personally I would find it extremely silly if Halo 4 didn't allow you to adjust audio settings, especially because it's MS's flagship franchise and it's fucking 2012.

Turn on a song from your hard drive and pause the song, no more music in the game.

Top Bottom