• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Omni

Hopefully Waterworks is one of them. Or Relic.

I wonder if the CE:A kinect features are in. Like that scan mode and Magic Missile commands.

Yeah. Though I can't really see a reason why they wouldn't still be in for CEA. No use in throwing away all that work *shrugs*

The most interesting thing about this bundle is the New Xbox One modified Halo engine and the 6 maps. It could become a standalone thing and get DLC if it's good enough.

Halo Online could be a thing

Okay, new day. Is what we heard yesterday still true? Was I not dreaming when they said Halo CE would have online multiplayer, 1080p, 60fps on dedicated servers? That can't be possible, right?

mj53uKp.gif

Fuchsdh

I wonder if the CE:A kinect features are in. Like that scan mode and Magic Missile commands.

Yeah I'm interested. The voice commands were cool but held back by the 360 Kinect's lag so they weren't actually useful for anything beyond a novelty. They should work well on XB1 though…

Hopefully the back button response time is better even if it's too much work to make it instantaneous like H2A. Even if it's cut down by a second it will feel dramatically better.

My brain is saying ivory tower and lockout also but I dunno why I'll try and go back over everything I've seen and find a source
I'd expect lockout to be a shoe-in, and terminal, too. Foundation was kind of a blah map to be honest. One of my lesser favorites anyway.

Confirmed:
  • Zanzibar (the original - not that last resort stuff)
  • Ascension

Strong chance:
  • Lockout - one of the top 5 maps ever made in the Halo series, easy.
  • Terminal - Uniquely popular map that's never been redone before

Debatable:
  • Midship - not sure about this one. It's such a small enclosed space. Is it really worth redoing?
  • Warlock - Great map with lots of atmosphere, but same issues as Midship for remake
  • Ivory Towers - Fantastic multi-purpose map (Objective/Slayer) that was nicely remade in Reach
  • Sanctuary - a staple in the Halo series (thanks to forge) since its introduction in Halo 2
  • Coagulation or Waterworks - I wouldn't be surprised if they throw in at least one large map. Doubt it's containment and Headlong was done recently for Reach.

Personal wish:
  • Colossus - one of my top 4 fav Halo 2 maps (Headlong, Lockout, Warlock, Colossus)

woohoo lists!!

As in on the Xbox one.

...play CE online on the Xbox One?

lol I get what you mean. Honestly, that's it for me. I will always have a fall back Halo game now regardless of the gaming landscape. This means a lot to my friends and I; Halo will forever be there for us on the bone. So many years...... Sooooo many years. I can't even begin to type all my thoughts.

Let's just hope this is the real deal and isn't fumbled come release.

The announcement itself was great but was a little lean on footage of content we've already played in the last 12 years. Wouldn't have hurt to show off a mix of the different MP's at 60 FPS and a few campaign levels.

When's the next landmark event where footage might be shown? Playable builds? Hopefully they tease stuff out periodically in bulletins, 4's on 3 plot turf, a Ghost/Tashi 1v1 on Prisoner.

I'm guessing Zanzibar, Ascension, Lockout, Foundation, toss-up between Waterworks and Terminal, and then a toss-up between Ivory Tower and Relic. It really boils down to whether or not DLC H2A is eligible. To me or really boils down to whether or not:

- The map can be substantially modified or improved with Forge

- It could use some better visual landmarks, like CEA's library

- It has potential for a bustling skybox to show off for marketing

- It has issues in classic H2 multi that could be alleviated with a new engine

- It hasn't already been faithfully remade in a past game

The last point is why I've omitted Midship, Headlong and to a lesser extent Ivory Tower - I thought Reflection was a fine take, but again, it strikes me as one of the more iconic maps. Everything else should be pretty self-explanatory, while Ascension's Forge could allow for more variations on that SHWATty Snipers "storm the tower" metagame, Terminal and Foundation Forge lend themselves well to expanding on the original Zombies metagame, etc.

Madness

Did Frank, Bonnie, Kiki, Josh, Dan or anyone else give any interviews? Regarding their plans, the games, etc. All I could find was like a 2 minute interview with Major Nelson which didn't really have much information.

Edit: I don't think they'd avoid Midship, plus you know Tashi would advocate for it's inclusion.

I'm guessing Zanzibar, Ascension, Lockout, Foundation, toss-up between Waterworks and Terminal, and then a toss-up between Ivory Tower and Relic. It really boils down to whether or not DLC H2A is eligible. To me or really boils down to whether or not:

- The map can be substantially modified or improved with Forge

- It could use some better visual landmarks, like CEA's library

- It has potential for a bustling skybox to show off for marketing

- It has issues in classic H2 multi that could be alleviated with a new engine

- It hasn't already been faithfully remade in a past game

The last point is why I've omitted Midship, Lockout and to a lesser extent Ivory Tower - I thought Reflection was a fine take, but again, it strikes me as one of the more iconic maps. Everything else should be pretty self-explanatory, while Ascension's Forge could allow for more variations on that SHWATty Snipers "storm the tower" metagame, Terminal and Foundation Forge lend themselves well to expanding on the original Zombies metagame, etc.
Lockout being outdoors and a huge fan favorite makes me think it's very possible. I would be disappointed in them redoing Foundation. Games on Foundation always turned into a team hiding in a room on purpose or getting stuck there by superior gameplay, and the layout is rather boring. I guess one pro in favor of it being remade includes the fact that the map itself was visually ugly.

The problem with skipping previously redone maps in favor of something else is that this is legit Halo 2 and will play like Halo 2. None of the remakes outside of possibly Sanctuary have ever felt true to their original. Headlong in Reach? Come on. And Blackout? Ewww...

Mistel

Banned
...play CE online on the Xbox One?

lol I get what you mean. Honestly, that's it for me. I will always have a fall back Halo game now regardless of the gaming landscape. This means a lot to my friends and I; Halo will forever be there for us on the bone. So many years...... Sooooo many years. I can't even begin to type all my thoughts.

Let's just hope this is the real deal and isn't fumbled come release.
If it is the real deal mind if I play with you? I can't be that bad I hope...
Not sure if anyone realized the page number we are on currently ;)
Page 172?

So, yeah, omg. Master Chief Collection is freaking insane.

Like. I can't fully comprehend.

Did anyone happen to get screengrabs on when they were showing pics from Nightfall?

PVkqgHh.jpg

Is it just me or is there something off with the color of Chief?

Also Great job with that info stalker. I really hope we see some 60 fps locked multiplayer game play soon.

So, this is the only thing that bothers me. MC's Halo 2 armor was darker, with a gritty sheen in Halo 2. The Halo 2 A armor looks more like Halo 3 MP armor.

matthieuC

So since we can only forge on remastered Halo 2 maps, I'm really hoping one of the 6 can also be used for a nice forging canvas. Maybe like a giant flat space outside of the map. If that was the case, I'd be playing this for a long long time.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
We are surely getting Midship in the 1-in-6.

Endless FFA's FOREVER!

We'll probably get that, Lockout, Terminal, Waterworks, Ascension, and Coag/Turf if I had to guess.

Wait I completely missed the stuff with the six remastered maps, what does this mean?

It's unclear at this point what exactly it is. I believe Frankie mentioned the 6 remastered maps would be running on a different engine that felt like Halo 2 with modern elements added. It's not something I'm interested in, but I'm not going to complain about it lol.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So, yeah, omg. Master Chief Collection is freaking insane.

Like. I can't fully comprehend.

Did anyone happen to get screengrabs on when they were showing pics from Nightfall?

So, this is the only thing that bothers me. MC's Halo 2 armor was darker, with a gritty sheen in Halo 2. The Halo 2 A armor looks more like Halo 3 MP armor.

how often are you even going to see it, though? they have CG cutscenes now

BigShow36

Okay, new day. Is what we heard yesterday still true? Was I not dreaming when they said Halo CE would have online multiplayer, 1080p, 60fps on dedicated servers? That can't be possible, right?

mj53uKp.gif

Seriously. I'm waiting for some news to drop, like it's not really the original engine but it "feels" like CE just with more aim assist and slower movement, or something like that. Is this real life?

If it is the real deal mind if I play with you? I can't be that bad I hope...

You can definitely play with us. I'll teach you a lot of tricks and strats as we play too. Used to love hosting lobbies and figuring out this stuff and/or teaching players so the community can be more competitive/aware of advanced tech.

EDIT:
Seriously. I'm waiting for some news to drop, like it's not really the original engine but it "feels" like CE just with more aim assist and slower movement, or something like that. Is this real life?
I think CE has the potential to be the sleeper hit of this package, if it's legit.

willow ve

So since we can only forge on remastered Halo 2 maps, I'm really hoping one of the 6 can also be used for a nice forging canvas. Maybe like a giant flat space outside of the map. If that was the case, I'd be playing this for a long long time.
Was that confirmed? Only being and to forge on the six updated maps?

And Lockout

Ntcollonade leaker man said they're going to be huge. That may have changed since then.

Collonade 60FPS hype. All those forge hub elitists can forge in Halo 3 again.
Good, I hope so. If the scale of the map being huge in the background than that makes more sense in what he probably meant.

So H2A is the only game next to CEA that's fully remastered while Halo 3 & 4 are updated graphically in the collection, is this right?

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
You can definitely play with us. I'll teach you a lot of tricks and strats as we play too. Used to love hosting lobbies and figuring out this stuff and/or teaching players so the community can be more competitive/aware of advanced tech.

Count me in for some CE action! I can't wait to nade Rockets down on Hang 'Em. Chillout 2v2's!

Mistel

Banned
Oh that makes more sense.
You can definitely play with us. I'll teach you a lot of tricks and strats as we play too. Used to love hosting lobbies and figuring out this stuff and/or teaching players so the community can be more competitive/aware of advanced tech..
All I used to play was btb so I'm not sure how much I remember of it only time will tell I suppose. Would be nice to learn stuff as well too.

Count me in for some CE action! I can't wait to nade Rockets down on Hang 'Em. Chillout 2v2's!

You already know dude. Can't wait to play some 2v2's and have my partner and I get Camo
(if you both stand on the spot it respawns, you both get Camo/OS)
with the other team wondering "wut." Can't wait to see what people think of being absolutely dominated by map/Power-up/power weapon control that was lost or lessened in later Halo games.

Looking forward to tasting all the "B-BUT SO MANY ROCKET KILLS ON CHILL OUT!!" cries.

EDIT:
And as I post that about map control, this lovely little tweet about map control gets mentioned. I love it.

Can't wait to see more about Halo 5.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
I'll probably be spending all my time in CE and H2, but if they fixed the net-code for H3 I might actually put in some good time there finally. I only enjoyed my time with it on LAN, it was atrocious on XBL imo.

Sounds like great news but, sprint was a 'spartan ability' so to speak and I sure as hell don't want to see that again. I'm all for player-base wide abilities we all have the same access and extent to use but I really hope they're not these crazy animation-based-with-no-shooting-permitted-type things.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The announcement itself was great but was a little lean on footage of content we've already played in the last 12 years. Wouldn't have hurt to show off a mix of the different MP's at 60 FPS and a few campaign levels.

When's the next landmark event where footage might be shown? Playable builds? Hopefully they tease stuff out periodically in bulletins, 4's on 3 plot turf, a Ghost/Tashi 1v1 on Prisoner.

Ghost will wreck me in H1. Still learning how to play that game at the highest level.

Just watched all 22 minutes of the interview. Fantasticly done. You just have to appreciate someone like Frank O'Conner so much. He chooses to remain part of the community, despite all of the belligerent and hostile fans (myself included), and yet he pulls it off like a pro and comes through in the clutch. I'd really like to know how long he's known about the plan for the collection and the plans to include each of the multiplayer engines. Probably the biggest E3 announcement I've seen in years, at least as a Halo fan.
and yes, Colossus is beast - one of my favorites
citizenkaneclapping.gif

Top Bottom