• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians revealed - more at E3 - Fall 2015 [Box Art person is new guy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't think they killed him off, a lot of people speculate that it was a portal at the base of the composer that he fell into, so he may have just ended up back on Requiem and then escaped before it was hurled into a star. That being said I hope he is dead and is replaced with a villain that isn't so much more powerful than Chief that they have to stupidly write around him not killing Chief.

I thought it was rather weird that he was so powerful... I mean... remote Darth Vader like grabs and chokes. That doesn't make sense. They never mentioned that Forerunners could use "the force". :)

For me Halo is about exploring a strange universe. The first game had that, I hope they realize this and go back to basics. The last Halo was definitely moving into JRPG nonsense for me (just like that pos ME3).

ryan299

I thought it was rather weird that he was so powerful... I mean... remote Darth Vader like grabs and chokes. That doesn't make sense. They never mentioned that Forerunners could use "the force". :)

For me Halo is about exploring a strange universe. The first game had that, I hope they realize this and go back to basics. The last Halo was definitely moving into JRPG nonsense for me (just like that pos ME3).

I liked the Didact up until he started using those force powers. So stupid. He's not dead and he'll be back. I hope there are other Forerunners in the game. Hopefully the Librarian is back and maybe they will introduce the Bornstellar Didact

Story wise this is what pissed me off the most with Halo 4. The first time you see him he is intimidating and you get the feeling that he will be a great villain... and then he does nothing but talk at Chief for the rest of the game. He demonstrated that he could kill chief with ease, but he doesn't. Chief was fuckin his shit up on Requiem for almost the entire game and he just sent waves of Prometheans after him, something he should have realized wouldn't work after the umpteenth time. He could have taken the time to deal with Chief real quick so that he could focus on his work. Even after all that when Chief is facing him at the end what does Didact do? Talk. 343 made a huge mistake making a villain that is better than Chief in every way by a large margin because at the end of the day Chief has to triumph and the only way they could figure out how to do that was to write him horribly.
What I'm trying to say is that he's basically a bad Bond villain with super powers.
Halo 4 is easily my favorite, but I agree with just about everything you say here. The villain could've been much better, but the sad thing is that he still ended up being better than the villains in any of the other Halo games. I'm confident he'll be back in part 5, so maybe they'll step him up a notch.

Story wise this is what pissed me off the most with Halo 4. The first time you see him he is intimidating and you get the feeling that he will be a great villain... and then he does nothing but talk at Chief for the rest of the game. He demonstrated that he could kill chief with ease, but he doesn't. Chief was fuckin his shit up on Requiem for almost the entire game and he just sent waves of Prometheans after him, something he should have realized wouldn't work after the umpteenth time. He could have taken the time to deal with Chief real quick so that he could focus on his work. Even after all that when Chief is facing him at the end what does Didact do? Talk. 343 made a huge mistake making a villain that is better than Chief in every way by a large margin because at the end of the day Chief has to triumph and the only way they could figure out how to do that was to write him horribly.
What I'm trying to say is that he's basically a bad Bond villain with super powers.

Chief only managed to triumph over Didact because of Cortana. That said, the Didact character was underutilized.

Halo 4 is easily my favorite, but I agree with just about everything you say here. The villain could've been much better, but the sad thing is that he still ended up being better than the villains in any of the other Halo games. I'm confident he'll be back in part 5, so maybe they'll step him up a notch.
I couldn't disagree more.
Chief only managed to triumph over Didact because of Cortana. That said, the Didact character was underutilized.

Is that supposed to be a point for or against me? Because it further shows how he was better than Chief in every way and they had to write something really stupid for Chief to win. Didact was only defeated by Chief because he just kept talking instead of killing Chief and that led to him to getting held down by the tons of Cortanas in one of the stupidest looking scenes in the entire franchise.

Is that supposed to be a point for or against me? Because it further shows how he was better than Chief in every way and they had to write something really stupid for Chief to win.

Somewhat against you, I don't think that was necessarily stupid and not believable by Halo's space opera rules. But again, the Didact character could have been so much better, and the whole Requiem setting was also a wasted opportunity.

But I liked Halo 4, and I don't think its story was significantly worse than that of prior Halo games. It was never highbrow stuff.

Somewhat against you, I don't think that was necessarily stupid and not believable by Halo's space opera rules. But again, the Didact character could have been so much better, and the whole Requiem setting was also a wasted opportunity.

But I liked Halo 4, and I don't think its story was significantly worse than that of prior Halo games. It was never highbrow stuff.

Didact was only defeated by Chief because he just kept talking instead of killing Chief and that led to him to getting held down by the tons of Cortanas in one of the stupidest looking scenes in the entire franchise. This was then followed up by Chief using a pulse grenade, which 343 apparently forgot how the grenades they created worked and just had it explode on Didact.

Halo 1 didn't have any villains, it was just "war". And are you seriously telling me you can't remember Tartarus, the Prophets and the Gravemind?
The gravemind I didn't remember at first, but that doesn't surprise me looking back. He felt like a Final Fantasy boss, in how suddenly and terribly he was introduced. And he didnt have much interaction with chief, even in Halo 3. The prophets I forgot also, and I blame that heavily on Halo 2 being god awful. But honestly, if you're looking for cardboard cutout villains...well, the prophets nail it.

Didact was only defeated by Chief because he just kept talking instead of killing Chief and that led to him to getting held down by the tons of Cortanas in one of the stupidest looking scenes in the entire franchise. This was then followed up by Chief using a pulse grenade, which 343 apparently forgot how the grenades they created worked and just had it explode on Didact.

Didact not feeling threatened by Chief and thus taking his time is believable, although a huge cliche, but I agree with the rest.

Still, my remark stands, the story was not any worse than all that Gravemind nonsense. Likewise, Didact was not any worse than Tartarus, and only slightly worse than the Prophets (well, even that's debatable).

Donos

Like the cover (a litle other color on the bottom side would be great). "Guardians" as title is also good. Short titles are better and mor catchy as long ones. Thinking about what 343 accomplished with the XB360 hardware, i'm looking forward what they can achieve one the XB1.

iMax

Like the cover (a litle other color on the bottom side would be great). "Guardians" as title is also good. Short titles are better and mor catchy as long ones. Thinking about what 343 accomplished with the XB360 hardware, i'm looking forward what they can achieve one the XB1.

I don't get why it's called 'Guardians'. The only reason I can think of is they're trying to transition to naming from numbering, just like Call of Duty did with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

And what are the 'Guardians'? Same as the ones that kill me every damn time I run off a map in MP?

Akai__

And what are the 'Guardians'? Same as the ones that kill me every damn time I run off a map in MP?

Most likely the Forerunners:

“We are Forerunners, guardians of all that exists. The roots of the galaxy have grown deep under our careful tending. Where there is life, the wisdom of our countless generations has saturated the soil. Our strength is a luminous sun towards which all intelligence blossoms and the impervious shelter beneath which it has prospered.”
—The Ur-Didact

Random17

Are people seriously suggesting that the Prophet of Truth in Halo 2 was bad and forgettable? That Halo 2's campaign story/dialogue was forgettable?

I mean come on! The dialogue in Halo 2 was superb, especially near the end of the game when the Chief was rampaging through High Charity. The music, atmosphere and the dialogue was one of the best moments of the franchise, in my opinion. You were fighting through nice vistas while the Covenant was crumbling around you.

---

This thought came to mind; the Didact and the Gravemind are actually really similar villains.

-Both show up unexpectedly, and rarely physically manifest themselves.
-Both telepathically communicate with the Chief.
-Both are reliant on an army of "mindless" Prometheans and Flood respectively.
-Both of them are incredibly cocky and rant on about how they will win.
-The Chief/Cortana defeat both of them by exploiting their cockiness with a twist at the end of Halo 3/Halo4.

Honestly, this is why I think that Truth in Halo 2 was the best villain the franchise has managed to produce. He was intelligent, deceptive, and calm, had very good voice acting, and also had fantastic dialogue. I didn't like Halo 3 Truth's voice actor, and he went from calm and deceptive to unsettled and downright crazy.

The problem with Tartarus (aside from his very fun boss fight due to all the glitches and its general silliness), was that he was more of a henchman then a villain. He was never meant to be the main villain in Halo 2. He shared a rivalry with the Arbiter, and symbolized the rivalry between the Elites and Brutes. However, his antagonistic nature was not important to the plot as a whole, not least compared to the Gravemind and Truth. This was an intentional move on Bungie's part, so it is a little unfair to compare him to the villains in the franchise.

I'm curious as to how Halo 5 is going to handle its main villain. Halo is not exactly known for its villains, although I wouldn't say they are bad characters. They just needed more game time :p

Perhaps greater time should be spent exploring a character's motivations? Halo 2 and Halo 3 didn't need to spend much time in this regard, as the motivations of the characters were obvious and lined up with the factions directly.

On the other hand, the Didact's motivations in Halo 4 needed elaboration. EU integration is nice and welcomed, but IMO a Halo campaign should not be reliant on the EU to explain major plot points. The Terminals and the Forerunner saga gave an indication for the Didact's motivations, but I felt that this could have been done better in-game.

LiamR

Why are people so adamant about bringing Cortana back? She'll be missed but just wait and see what they actually do first instead of these dumb ultimatums about never buying another if she doesn't return.

Why are people so adamant about bringing Cortana back? She'll be missed but just wait and see what they actually do first instead of these dumb ultimatums about never buying another if she doesn't return.

Its not about just Cortana dying, its just a long chain of stuff going back to the books and Halo 3 that make me feel that personally.

Have you ever seen a movie? The villains talk when they have every opportunity to kill the hero and the hero somehow cones out on top. I'm not saying its great writing but its how they do it.

rrc1594

This guy should not be replacing MC, if he's a great character give him spin-off or some shit. I don't like the idea of MC dying or being replaced not cool

This guy should not be replacing MC, if he's a great character give him spin-off or some shit. I don't like the idea of MC dying or being replaced not cool
We don't know yet, MC is far to iconic to the franchise and I dare say the face of Xbox. Replacing him would be extremely hard and not to smart.

Septic360

Banned
Called it...its a new guy. I win the internet. Praise me

440.gif

Andodalf

Banned
I don't get why it's called 'Guardians'. The only reason I can think of is they're trying to transition to naming from numbering, just like Call of Duty did with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Humans are the guardians of the mantle. Have been for a long long time, but only recently took up the mantle.

Septic360

Banned
Is the mantle even a thing you can take? I always thought it was intangible.

It isn't a thing. The Mantle of Responsibility is the role of a species to oversee the universe. Why humanity would want control of the Mantle is beyond me. Seems like too much trouble.

iMax

It isn't a thing. The Mantle of Responsibility is the role of a species to oversee the universe. Why humanity would want control of the Mantle is beyond me. Seems like too much trouble.

Humanity wants power over everything without knowing what to do with it. That's human nature.

ryan299

I think the major problem with Halo 4 was the story. If you didn't read the Forerunner books you really had no idea what was going on. My friends were completely lost and I had to constantly explain backstory from the books for them to understand half the stuff that was going on.

I really, really disliked Halo 4 lol

I liked the Didact up until he started using those force powers. So stupid. He's not dead and he'll be back. I hope there are other Forerunners in the game. Hopefully the Librarian is back and maybe they will introduce the Bornstellar Didact

Wasn't this the Bornstellar Didact, or did I totally misunderstand how that went down? My understanding was the original Didact is dead and that Bornstellar eventually became the Didact memories/personality/appearance and all.

I think the major problem with Halo 4 was the story. If you didn't read the Forerunner books you really had no idea what was going on. My friends were completely lost and I had to constantly explain backstory from the books for them to understand half the stuff that was going on.

Those Terminal videos shouldn't have been hidden that's for damn sure. That stuff was vital story-relevant info for anyone who didn't read the books.

jem0208

Little theory I just came up with for the story of Halo 5.

We don't know if Didact is dead, what we do know is that he fell into slip space rupture. So he could be anywhere.

I think the Chief has realised this and has decided that the UNSC needs to hunt down and finish the Didact off for good. But the UNSC disagrees and so won't allow the Chief to go. The Chief being the Chief decides to hunt down the Didact on his own (hence the rogue bit) to finish him off and as revenge for Cortana's death.

ONI also want the Didact, but they want him captured alive. So they send the other Spartan to "help" the Chief.

I'd play this.

Homeboyd

I really, really disliked Halo 4 lol
Nah, the story to me doesn't matter in the slightest if the game is fun/balanced, etc... Granted, that was an issue, but I don't think it's at the forefront of the game's problems. Removal of features/game modes, map breaking abilities/perks, map design, lack of incentive to win (ranks), dull or overly repetitive modes (SpOps, etc), net code/lag, and similar would all take precedence over the story not making sense or being easy to follow... for me anyways.

I know people are heavily invested in the story of John Halo & co. though so I can see why that would be off-putting for some, but if the gameplay is fun, it shouldn't be the biggest issue on the board.

Skeleton

Banned
Little theory I just came up with for the story of Halo 5.

We don't know if Didact is dead, what we do know is that he fell into slip space rupture. So he could be anywhere.

I think the Chief has realised this and has decided that the UNSC needs to hunt down and finish the Didact off for good. But the UNSC disagrees and so won't allow the Chief to go. The Chief being the Chief decides to hunt down the Didact on his own (hence the rogue bit) to finish him off and as revenge for Cortana's death.

ONI also want the Didact, but they want him captured alive. So they send the other Spartan to "help" the Chief.

I'd play this.

I'd like to see it play off as a race to the Didact.

Although new guy clearly is going to lose against the legend that is 117.

I really want Chief to go rouge though, Andrew Del Rio WAS A DICK to him.

jem0208

I'd like to see it play off as a race to the Didact.

Although new guy clearly is going to lose against the legend that is 117.

I really want Chief to go rouge though, Andrew Del Rio WAS A DICK to him.

That could be cool as well.

It could almost be like a detective story, only one with Aliens and space and shit. Hunting down the Didact, searching for where he could be hiding.

The first thing that comes to mind with the new character/player-protag is that you'll switch off between him and Chief, like Arbiter and MC in Halo 2. MC will probably be obsessed and lost without her in his head, dreaming of her or somehow have a Search for Spock opportunity where he goes off to find a way to bring back Cortana, alone, and the UNSC will send this new dude off to find him. Maybe instead of the lame shield planet in H4, 343 will send us back to a Halo ringworld (seamless open world-style now) following MC as he goes off to utilize Forerunner tech to rebuild/reboot her based on her self-archived image built into his brain in a self-mind-meld thing while he was in stasis prior to H4.

rokkerkory

Chief would never go rouge.

Rouge or Rogue? :)

In any case, the MC will always do what is 'right' for humanity, perhaps not what is right for UNSC and that's where the other spartan comes in.

They both have episodes of agreement and disagreement (new spartan is ONI-fied). In the end, there will be a decision to make or break their relationship and it carries over to Halo 6.

I am hoping the MC kinda takes the new spartan under his wing and helps him to develop as the game progresses. They become like Batman and Robin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom