• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Fuchsdh

There should be a lot of death. Cortana got very defensive when Chief brought up the number of people she killed waking the Guardians, and she had some pretty dire warnings for anyone who opposed her. She's gone from sobbing over the people composed on Ivanoff Station to killing millions like they're flies in order to achieve her "perfect" world where people behave under penalty of death. The future for organics looks pretty grim.

Also, if I was on Infinity, I'd be super nice to Roland.

Honestly I don't think she much cared about the Ivanoff Station personnel, it was more her inability to do anything and her rampancy leaving her to despondency.

shiba5

Honestly I don't think she much cared about the Ivanoff Station personnel, it was more her inability to do anything and her rampancy leaving her to despondency.

There's that, but I was thinking of the way she talks about listening to "what was left of them". She comes off as genuinely upset that they're dead.

Cimarron

I'd be nice to Roland as well. LOL. I wonder whats the percentage of AI's that went rogue? I like Roland a lot. I look forward to a tag team between him and Witness when comes time for Cortana's eventual beat down. Witness is sooo cute! Great new character.

shiba5

I'd be nice to Roland as well. LOL. I wonder whats the percentage of AI's that went rogue? I like Roland a lot. I look forward to a tag team between him and Witness when comes time for Cortana's eventual beat down. Witness is sooo cute! Great new character.

Yeah, Witness is awesome. "I can do doors!"

Also the pneumatic bank tube that Halsey keeps Cortana in. Noble 6 carried her to the POA in that I believe.

Oh, yeah.. I figured the whole cutscene was on Reach.. but I couldn't remember what that room looked like in the game. Cortana has such a goofy little smile in that scene haha.

So I am wondering when does that voiceover take place?

Halsey is talking to Locke, and clearly talking about her and Cortana.. can't imagine it takes place after the game ends.. Perhaps after Locke rescues Halsey from Kamchatka?

Flipyap

p97e2vx.jpg

Wait, what? What could have possibly given her that idea? Based on Vale's role as the science type (an infodumper) of the group, I'd say that her assumption should likely be treated as a fact.
So most of the destruction Cortana is blamed for was just a side effect of her messing with the Domain? That seems like a weirdly important plot point for it to be delivered as a throwaway comment in the middle of an action-packed escape sequence.

Fuchsdh

Oh, yeah.. I figured the whole cutscene was on Reach.. but I couldn't remember what that room looked like in the game. Cortana has such a goofy little smile in that scene haha.

So I am wondering when does that voiceover take place?

Halsey is talking to Locke, and clearly talking about her and Cortana.. can't imagine it takes place after the game ends.. Perhaps after Locke rescues Halsey from Kamchatka?

I was wondering as well. It doesn't make sense for me to take place at the end of the game, and there's not really any point where it makes sense in the middle of the game, either. My impression is that Halsey must have met Locke some time prior to Halo 5.

shiba5

Wait, what? What could have possibly given her that idea? Based on Vale's role as the science type (an infodumper) of the group, I'd say that her assumption should likely be treated as a fact.
So most of the destruction Cortana is blamed for was just a side effect of her messing with the Domain? That seems like a weirdly important plot point for it to be delivered as a throwaway comment in the middle of an action-packed escape sequence.

Oh, that is weird. I noticed that comment but didn't give it any thought. What's waking up the Guardians if it's not Cortana and why would they think she's NOT responsible for all of them?

I was wondering as well. It doesn't make sense for me to take place at the end of the game, and there's not really any point where it makes sense in the middle of the game, either. My impression is that Halsey must have met Locke some time prior to Halo 5.

Could be.. I guess it could be another open ended mystery, like Halo 4's opening.. we STILL don't know who that guy was..

Halsey calls him "Spartan Locke" so it has to be relatively recently in the Halo timeline.

I suppose the "kill us both" line doesn't HAVE to mean Cortana all things considered now. It could be Halsey/John, although I don't know why ONI would want to kill 117 either really.

Cortana says "MERIDIAN IS NEXT!" So maybe there was some kind of activation sequence that was going on, but Cortana altered something to ensure 117 got on board? I doubt the Warden was mulling around the other ones (though I guess its possible).

Fuchsdh

Could be.. I guess it could be another open ended mystery, like Halo 4's opening.. we STILL don't know who that guy was..

Halsey calls him "Spartan Locke" so it has to be relatively recently in the Halo timeline.

I suppose the "kill us both" line doesn't HAVE to mean Cortana all things considered now. It could be Halsey/John, although I don't know why ONI would want to kill 117 either really.

The obvious connection is Cortana and Halsey, since they're the two subjects pictured, but yeah it could be anyone. In some ways it makes more sense it's Chief and Halsey, as ultimately they're both people instrumental to the survival of the human race but inconvenient as to that survival's mythology.

Or, alternatively, Halsey is talking about herself and Locke, which would be even more interesting in its implications.

The obvious connection is Cortana and Halsey, since they're the two subjects pictured, but yeah it could be anyone. In some ways it makes more sense it's Chief and Halsey, as ultimately they're both people instrumental to the survival of the human race but inconvenient as to that survival's mythology.

Or, alternatively, Halsey is talking about herself and Locke, which would be even more interesting in its implications.

"Spartan Locke.. I have spent enough years with ONI to know the truth.. once this is over, after all I have done.. they'll order you.. to kill us both."

I doubt Locke is going to be ordered to kill himself.. I mean, maybe? The "us" does kind of imply her and who she is talking to.

Though it could just as easily be the person next to her or something.

I thought for SURE it was about Cortana.. but now it just doesn't really make sense, unless it's a voiceover from THE FUTURE where Cortana is reigned in.. maybe Halsey saves Cortana but Locke is ordered to kill them anyway? *spit balling*

CasualTR

Banned
Can someone fill me in on the whole Spartan thing post Halo 3? I was under the impression that Chief was the last Spartan at that point and now there is a whole bunch of fully trained elite, adult Spartans.

Can someone fill me in on the whole Spartan thing post Halo 3? I was under the impression that Chief was the last Spartan at that point and now there is a whole bunch of fully trained elite, adult Spartans.

They're enhanced and volunteered UNSC soldiers. Not nearly as strong or powerful as IIs, but they didn't came with a psychological baggage like they did.

tootsi666

S-II's: Blue Team (Chief and his team), original Spartans who were trained from age of 6.

S-IV's: Fireteam Osiris, volunteers from other parts of the UNSC

S-II's: Blue Team (Chief and his team), original Spartans who were trained from age of 6.

S-IV's: Fireteam Osiris, volunteers from other parts of the UNSC

It's still pretty confusing that Master Chief always gets treated like the last Spartan-II, but not only has his team been alive this whole team, some of them were actually on Earth during Halo 3?

Cimarron

They're enhanced and volunteered UNSC soldiers. Not nearly as strong or powerful as IIs, but they didn't came with a psychological baggage like they did.

I dunno. Locke did pretty good in his brawl with the chief. SIV's and SII's are a close match in armour. Outside of thier armour Sii's have a clear advantage but not everwhleming so.

Lol. Fair enough. At any rate, thanks for the good discussion.

...Avatar bet, huh?

I mean, it might not effect me as much though. I lurk on these boards all the time to keep up with news and because I enjoy watching other people's discussions, but only comment when I know I can make good contributions or have a strong opinion about a debate topic. Hence why it seems like I "disappear" for extended periods. ;)

There will probably be lots more good stuff to talk about after the game releases though. So sure, I'm game if that's what you'd like to do.

*internet handshake*

I forgot about THE BET!! Greenleafy! I don't think Stinkles ever said what avatar should be used..

Cortana FTW :)

Flipyap

I doubt Locke is going to be ordered to kill himself.. I mean, maybe? The "us" does kind of imply her and who she is talking to.
Even if he isn't ordered to shoot himself, Locke would definitely have to be disposed of once he's done helping them make sure that THE hero of humanity stays "missing in action."
I think she meant John (I'm not sure if even Halsey would refer to deleting Cortana as "killing"), but this works, or at least it did before the rest of Team Osiris was invented. Now ONI would have to find a way to quietly murder eight super soldiers (some more super than others). Good luck with that.

Even if he isn't ordered to shoot himself, Locke would definitely have to be disposed of once he's done helping them make sure that THE hero of humanity stays "missing in action."
I think she meant John (I'm not sure if even Halsey would refer to deleting Cortana as "killing"), but this works, or at least it did before the rest of Team Osiris was invented. Now ONI would have to find a way to quietly murder eight super soldiers (some more super than others). Good luck with that.

Well, I mean Kilo-5 operated with big secrets, I don't think having Osiris operate somewhat the same is too much of a stretch. Locke does still sport that ONI logo for whatever reason too!

ONI did say 117 was 'dad', so it may be embarrassing when he shows up again, but they didn't publicly call him a traitor or anything so I think they could spin it as some 'miracle' for him to be back, just in time to save the galaxy from EvilCortana.

In-game "ONI" and lore ONI are never quite the same though. You'd need a more Mass Effect type of game to really get into the intrigue and backstory properly. Maybe that ODST-esque game (with SIII Gammas!) I keep dreaming of would be a good introduction to ONI's shadiness.

Back to who she is talking about.. I dunno? Guess its too open ended to really be pinned down (117, Cortana, Arbiter.. BB?)

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
"Spartan Locke.. I have spent enough years with ONI to know the truth.. once this is over, after all I have done.. they'll order you.. to kill us both."

I thought for SURE it was about Cortana.. but now it just doesn't really make sense, unless it's a voiceover from THE FUTURE where Cortana is reigned in.. maybe Halsey saves Cortana but Locke is ordered to kill them anyway? *spit balling*
I once saw a funny comment where someone said that the Captain ordering someone to arrest Chief in 4 was as good as ordering them to kill themselves, so maybe it's not out of the question.
It's still pretty confusing that Master Chief always gets treated like the last Spartan-II, but not only has his team been alive this whole team, some of them were actually on Earth during Halo 3?
They were on Reach during the events of H1, Chief met up with them, they destroyed a Covenant fleet prepared by Truth to attack Earth, remained on Earth during H2 while Chief went off to the other Halo/High Charity, then went to a Forerunner shield world called Onyx under the pretence that there was tech there that could win the war, but really it was more of a plan by Halsey to get every Spartan she could to safety. They didn't make it back until after the events of H3.

The notion that Chief was the last Spartan is something that a lot of people thought, but really didn't come up in the games much, if at all. It was in the instruction manual for H1 (when it was thought to be true), but beyond that seems to be one of those ideas that took on a life of its own.
I dunno. Locke did pretty good in his brawl with the chief. SIV's and SII's are a close match in armour. Outside of thier armour Sii's have a clear advantage but not everwhleming so.
Both seemed to be holding back a bit, but Locke started the fight with a rifle in his hands, an armour immobiliser in his possession and was willing to draw his pistol once the going got tough, with express orders that if he had to shoot, to shoot to kill. He still lost. Frank once posted on here that comparing them out of armour is like comparing a supernatural monster to an Olympic athlete, so I'd say the not overwhelming advantage applies when both are in armour.

EDIT: Found the post, makes it sound like out of armour, ten SIVs might have a chance against one SII, so I'd say that's a pretty overwhelming advantage.

The notion that Chief was the last Spartan is something that a lot of people thought, but really didn't come up in the games much, if at all. It was in the instruction manual for H1 (when it was thought to be true), but beyond that seems to be one of those ideas that took on a life of its own.

I mean the Marines in the games are always like "WOWLOLCATZ A SPARTAN!" but I think realistically the odds of any Marine ever even seeing 1 Spartan in the course of daily fighting would be a slim slim chance. (At least during Halo 1-3) The SII's were pretty limited in number even in the beginning.

Fuchsdh

Now that more has come out about Bungie's standoffish attitude towards Nylund's book it makes a lot more sense why they ignored FoR.

I mean, yeah sure, IVs can stand their ground, but I think if Chief would've wanted to hurt Locke, he could've put him down relatively easy.
As he sort of did actually

Edit: Also, what Frankie said, if you listen to Hunt The Truth, John kills ODST's while sparring when he was a teenager. So, uh... yeah.

Solidsoul

Banned
I probably won't have any luck, but about a month ago there was a thread with like 8 videos linked together on a website that had Frank and Bonnie sitting down to have a conversation about the inception of 343 Industries and Halo 5. I want to watch them but cannot find them.

Thanks for any effort you might make!

Monocle

Interesting. Maybe Cortana isn't the one-dimensional megalomaniac some have made her out to be.

a.wd

Thats what I was thinking....Also it makes sense that they are foreshadowing the future, I think that that desert chief is also a future glimpse as well.

Can a spartan 2 wear spartan 4 armor?
You would think it would nullify any change the spartan 4 will have against a spartan 2 wearing modern armor..

LordOfChaos

You would think it would nullify any change the spartan 4 will have against a spartan 2 wearing modern armor..

I think the changes may be specific to bringing the 4s up to speed, i.e adding a third party cold air intake to a Ferrari ins't going to do a whole lot. But that's just my guess, not like they have technical specs for the suits made :p

Fuchsdh

I imagine a lot of it depends what's "hard-coded" in the armor. Presumably the reaction times and strength of the IVs being less than the IIs means that you'd need to recalibrate or modify the armor so that you didn't either dampen the effectiveness of the II or actually hurt them.

With that said clearly GEN2 stuff is very similar to the armor the Spartans of Blue Team are wearing so it might just be minor changes in general.

Cimarron

I once saw a funny comment where someone said that the Captain ordering someone to arrest Chief in 4 was as good as ordering them to kill themselves, so maybe it's not out of the question.

They were on Reach during the events of H1, Chief met up with them, they destroyed a Covenant fleet prepared by Truth to attack Earth, remained on Earth during H2 while Chief went off to the other Halo/High Charity, then went to a Forerunner shield world called Onyx under the pretence that there was tech there that could win the war, but really it was more of a plan by Halsey to get every Spartan she could to safety. They didn't make it back until after the events of H3.

Both seemed to be holding back a bit, but Locke started the fight with a rifle in his hands, an armour immobiliser in his possession and was willing to draw his pistol once the going got tough, with express orders that if he had to shoot, to shoot to kill. He still lost. Frank once posted on here that comparing them out of armour is like comparing a supernatural monster to an Olympic athlete, so I'd say the not overwhelming advantage applies when both are in armour.

EDIT: Found the post, makes it sound like out of armour, ten SIVs might have a chance against one SII, so I'd say that's a pretty overwhelming advantage.

Oh neat! Thanks for the info. I could have sworn that I read somewhere that SIVs were biologically augmented as well. Just not as much as II's. 343 really needs to make a spreadsheet to compare the different generations of spartans. It would be neat if they included the project Orion stuff as well.

I started replaying the campaign again last night. I didn't really notice it but yeah..... Cortana is batshit now. She done lost her frakin mind. She may not die now but I am convinced that she is still suffering some after shocks from her rampancy.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Oh neat! Thanks for the info. I could have sworn that I read somewhere that SIVs were biologically augmented as well. Just not as much as II's. 343 really needs to make a spreadsheet to compare the different generations of spartans. It would be neat if they included the project Orion stuff as well.

I started replaying the campaign again last night. I didn't really notice it but yeah..... Cortana is batshit now. She done lost her frakin mind. She may not die now but I am convinced that she is still suffering some after shocks from her rampancy.
The IVs are augmented, just not to the same extent. The IIs were screened for genetic compatibility and underwent some hardcore shit before/during puberty to turn them into monsters, and they received experimental augmentations that interacted in unexpected ways, creating crazy results in those who survived. That's not gonna fly when you're "upgrading" hundreds of existing, high level personnel, so more advanced, but also safer and more predictable procedures are required.

Fuchsdh

The IVs are augmented, just not to the same extent. The IIs were screened for genetic compatibility and underwent some hardcore shit before/during puberty to turn them into monsters, and they received experimental augmentations that interacted in unexpected ways, creating crazy results in those who survived. That's not gonna fly when you're "upgrading" hundreds of existing, high level personnel, so more advanced, but also safer and more predictable procedures are required.

I forget the exact number, but in some piece of media (New Blood?) they give actual figures for the casualty rates. They were still pretty high for the SIVs, but nothing close to the Spartan IIs.

Has this been brought up?

I've been rereading Cryptum and, near the end, Bornstellar is at the Master Builder's trial. There's an ancilla there, older than even the capital world itself. It's described as a prison-keeper and guardian of mercy. It's called the Warden.

Possible connection to our friend in Halo 5, perhaps?

LordOfChaos

Has this been brought up?

I've been rereading Cryptum and, near the end, Bornstellar is at the Master Builder's trial. There's an ancilla there, older than even the capital world itself. It's described as a prison-keeper and guardian of mercy. It's called the Warden.

Possible connection to our friend in Halo 5, perhaps?

I mentioned it in the other thread but it didn't get much response. I don't see why it's not possible, though maybe too obvious is the only con going for the theory

"Guardian of mercy"? Wait a minute...

Warden Eternal is Cortana's bodyguard aka guardian
Cortana is named after Curtana the Sword of Mercy

The Warden = Warden Eternal!!

So in the latest canon fodder...

LUMENON
Not uncommon on Builder-created refuges because of the rate’s appreciation of them, sky-rays like the lumenon were brought here from Rhotero, a Forerunner world claimed by the Flood. Although the breeding on Genesis has gone unchecked for millennia, these creatures will generally keep their distance, preferring to hunt the on the surface of its vast oceans.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/canon-fodder-fauna-getaway

So that means Genesis, the planet, has been there quite a while.. kinda ruining my theory about it being related to the planet we see in Escalation.. unless whatever Halsey does just jumpstarts the creation of the Forerunner buildings and/or link to the Domain.. guess we'll have to wait and see..

031 Exuberant Witness
032 Mendicant Bias

Those numbers are a little too close for comfort.
Personally don't think we've seen the last of Mendicant Bias...

Top Bottom