• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still incredible to think that in less than 5 months, I will finally be playing an Xbox Live enabled version of Halo 1 after nearly 13 years.

This is the game that's going to get me to finally jump in to the Xbox One.

HTupolev

Still incredible to think that in less than 5 months, I will finally be playing an Xbox Live enabled version of Halo 1 after nearly 13 years.

Buy an Xbox one for the Combat Evolved, buy an Xbox One for the Combat Evolved.

Pathetic that it's the selling point, but not a pathetic selling point!

E92 M3

As long as Midship and Lockout are remade, I shall be happy! But like it was said earlier, mostly all of the maps were good on Halo 2.

I hope it doesn't. Halo 4 had a very "next-gen" look to it, that I didn't like. Overemphasis on Browns, yellows, and cool blues. It's hard to explain, and I've talked about it in the HaloGAF threads. But the one thing I loved about older games was the abundance of color, the neons, green, purple etc.

There was this washed out look to Halo 4 I didn't like. Don't get me wrong, what they did with the game was great, especially on such ancient hardware. But like compare the "look" of Valhalla  in halo 3 to Ragnarok in halo 4. Obviously Halo 4 has much better visual fidelity, but do you see what I mean by the tint/lighting?

zGEb4.jpg

Agreed. The top image is verdant, warm, bountiful and welcoming whilst the bottom one inspires nausea and a dry mouth. Maybe it's prejudiced by flashbacks of joining in progress countless flag games already 2-0 down with the other team circling with two manti plus Banshee drone strikes before I've even spawned, plus bland DMR pop and shoot gameplay. Maybe.

I hope it doesn't. Halo 4 had a very "next-gen" look to it, that I didn't like. Overemphasis on Browns, yellows, and cool blues. It's hard to explain, and I've talked about it in the HaloGAF threads. But the one thing I loved about older games was the abundance of color, the neons, green, purple etc.

There was this washed out look to Halo 4 I didn't like. Don't get me wrong, what they did with the game was great, especially on such ancient hardware. But like compare the "look" of Valhalla  in halo 3 to Ragnarok in halo 4. Obviously Halo 4 has much better visual fidelity, but do you see what I mean by the tint/lighting?

zGEb4.jpg

0s9rmyg.jpg

And it's not unique to 343, I saw a lot of this in games like Mass Effect 3, like the Firebase Jade level set on the Salarian homeworld. With the lighting, the colors become a bit washed out. Bright and deep red becomes like an orange etc.

I have no doubt that Halo 5 will be one of the best looking games of next gen though. They have a lot of talented people on the team and a new powerful console to take advantage of.

I see what you are saying, but I think one of the big claims for the uprezzed Halo 4 is that the color depth / image quality / etc, is way better with how it will be running on the X1.

Hopefully we will start getting some more footage soon!

I actually like the way H4 looks, but many Lightningeffects and the colored fog were too bright so it really disturbed the ability to recognize other players really fast (especially on high distances)

mcrommert

Banned

zGEb4.jpg

0s9rmyg.jpg

And it's not unique to 343, I saw a lot of this in games like Mass Effect 3, like the Firebase Jade level set on the Salarian homeworld. With the lighting, the colors become a bit washed out. Bright and deep red becomes like an orange etc.

I have no doubt that Halo 5 will be one of the best looking games of next gen though. They have a lot of talented people on the team and a new powerful console to take advantage of.

I don't agree..Halo 4 had its problems but the level design (not weapon stuff but the basic design) and graphics were not one of them

I'm just excited to finally have splitscreen that doesn't drop to sub 20 fps on some maps...them forge maps man were just so broken on splitscreen

Nick

Only 6 are remastered due to time constraints.
I know that, but I also read there were two Halo 2 maps that weren't included even in their classic state. I don't know if that was incorrect information, but I could have sworn I saw it in the OP's post. Error?

Bsigg12

I know that, but I also read there were two Halo 2 maps that weren't included even in their classic state. I don't know if that was incorrect information, but I could have sworn I saw it in the OP's post. Error?

Yes. I believe it was Tashi that came in and corrected it here. I believe the maps were Tombstone and Desolation but they're both included.

I believe it was the two remakes (Tombstone and forgot the other), but they have since been confirmed back by Frankie.

Bsigg12

Yes. I believe it was Tashi that came in and corrected it here. I believe the maps were Tombstone and Desolation but they're both included.

Madness

I don't agree..Halo 4 had its problems but the level design (not weapon stuff but the basic design) and graphics were not one of them

I'm just excited to finally have splitscreen that doesn't drop to sub 20 fps on some maps...them forge maps man were just so broken on splitscreen

I never said graphics were a problem. I said the "look" of Halo 4 is what I didn't like, illustrated in the pictures above. Of course Halo 4 has great graphics, especially for a console that came out nearly 7 years earlier at that time. I just hope they drop that fog, tint, lighting, and emphasize colors again. This isn't unique to Halo 4 like I said. A lot of games did this, especially near the end. Maybe it's some new lighting technique or something I don't know about.

Chitown B

I never said graphics were a problem. I said the "look" of Halo 4 is what I didn't like, illustrated in the pictures above. Of course Halo 4 has great graphics, especially for a console that came out nearly 7 years earlier at that time. I just hope they drop that fog, tint, lighting, and emphasize colors again. This isn't unique to Halo 4 like I said. A lot of games did this, especially near the end. Maybe it's some new lighting technique or something I don't know about.

same. and enough with the neon orange.

zGEb4.jpg

0s9rmyg.jpg

looks like HDR to me.

13 years... Like that's just sad. I'm with you though; halo 1 on xbox live might be the deciding factor in getting an X1.

The thing is almost every Halo 2 map is awesme I want all remade :(

My wishlist for the H2 remakes, including the three already stated to be in:

Ascension (Gameplay)
Zanzibar (Frankie)
Lockout (Frankie)

Waterworks, because obviously.
Burial Mounds.
Coagulation (I'm a sucker for Blood Gulch, it's the classic)

Runner Up: Backwash (Wanna fight about it?)

Buy an Xbox one for the Combat Evolved, buy an Xbox One for the Combat Evolved.

Pathetic that it's the selling point, but not a pathetic selling point!
10/10
plus bland DMR pop and shoot gameplay. Maybe.
IMO it was better than the "see player X who is slowly walking to my base as they disregard the popcorn I shoot at them." Not to mention Halo 4 had more than enough options to work around the pop and shoot gameplay with an abundance of vehicles, power weapons, Ordnance, movement options like sprint, Thrusters, etc.. Even in the restricted playlists do I think it was more enjoyable, but to each his/her own I guess.

At the very least, I'm looking forward to the updates coming which should help with several past issues.
The reasoning behind not allowing this in the past was always that it would reduce matchmaking populations too much. That would be the case multiplied by 4 here.
Funny thing with this is that I think it could've improved Halo's multiplayer population in general, which in turn would probably amount to more people in matchmaking as well.

Let's assume some people disagree with Bungie's/343's handling of the playlists. What options do people have if they can't find what they want to play in a playlist?
  • A) Tediously set up Custom Games
  • B) Stop playing Halo
At least with a Custom Games Browser or some system of toggles (willow ve I believe made a good post about this -> a process of elimination, so to speak) people can play what they want and set up what they want more easily. The point would be to get more people populating Halo multiplayer. With Matchmaking, you could create incentives like 1-50 ranks that you obviously wouldn't be able to impact through Custom Games.

A combination or hybrid could work and other games have proved it.

W.S.

I'm surprised tht Ruffian hasn't been credited more openly with porting porting Halo 3 and 4 but I can't wait to see those with the resolution/frame rate boost.

With regards to Halo 2 Anniversary, Blur's cinematics look awesome but I hope they aren't too jarring of a change from those to the in engine gameplay. Also a bit of a shame that they couldn't implement the E3 2003 New Mombasa demo but given the HD treatment the New Mombasa areas are going to look great either way and it still has the excellent Scarab/Ghost portions.

...Now that I think about it...man...Halo 2 had some fantastic map design, on almost every map. Is there actually a map that people hate in Halo 2?

I never liked Burial Mounds much. There wasn't much wrong with the gameplay, just I always found the appearance very drab.

I hope the H2A MP engine... thing is successful and that it means there'll be more maps. Though I suppose it would sort of undermine the entire point of bringing back H2's MP if H2A MP was far superior in terms of graphics, gameplay, and engine features...

Based on how Ascension looked, a lot of Halo 2's maps would look stunning.

DoomGyver

Does anyone think that they will bundle this with a $399 xbox one? I almost bought a 399 xone and a copy of titanfall tonight but I'm curious to see if MS will have a better deal closer to HMCCs release.

RoKKeR

i can see them sell this in a kinect less bundle for 450

That would make zero sense. And what, save people $10?

There will be a pack in game with the Kinectless-bone at $399 this holiday, I just don't know if it's Sunset Overdrive or Halo. They'd be stupid not to.

Halo 2 had some really stellar maps, and the DLC maps were even better. Let's talk about Relic for a second.

9knbwM0l.jpg

I had a love/hate relationship with this map. Playing team slayer on it sucked serious ass, but assault or CTF was godlike. It took a lot of coordination to be successful on this map, and once you grabbed that flag, it was a mad dash to jump off the edge and give your teammates a chance.

Assault was a different story. If you died on your way to arm the bomb, your team had to decide if you should sit around and wait for the bomb to respawn or do your best to infiltrate the base and not get killed.

I can't wait to replay this gem!

Blueblur1

zGEb4.jpg

0s9rmyg.jpg

Man, Bungie's Forerunner art is so much better. The prefer the detailed, worn out and alien but familiar metal design of their Forerunner structures versus 343's simpler, super angular, clean and shiny metal look. Its so boring and uninteresting. Certain Infinity does Forerunner does architecture better than 343.

93xfan

Banned
Man, Bungie's Forerunner art is so much better. The prefer the detailed, worn out and alien but familiar metal design of their Forerunner structures versus 343's simpler, super angular, clean and shiny metal look. Its so boring and uninteresting. Certain Infinity does Forerunner does architecture better than 343.

Absolutely! It just looked cooler and more mysterious. I hate what they did with the Forerunner theme in Halo 4.

Deception

...Now that I think about it...man...Halo 2 had some fantastic map design, on almost every map. Is there actually a map that people hate in Halo 2?

While I don't hate it due to the fun custom games (zombies mainly) Foundation was pretty bad to actual play serious games on.

and obviously Backwash. What a terrible map, flood maps have never been good in any game.

Evo X

While I don't hate it due to the fun custom games (zombies mainly) Foundation was pretty bad to actual play serious games on.

and obviously Backwash. What a terrible map, flood maps have never been good in any game.

Has anything flood related been good? Flood campaign levels have always been my least favorite. They're an inherently annoying ass enemy to fight and the levels always seem have confusing layouts along with an incredibly ugly brown/green aesthetic.

Haha oh god, Backwash. The map that was so visually unoptimized, they removed grenade starts from it. Then the shitty Xbox 360 backwards compatibility couldn't handle it, so it was just outright removed from playlists. Nicely done.

Valanarro

so while this collection has been everything ive ever dreamed of, what are the chances of halo 2 anniversary including the flood juggernaut? would like to see a finalized version to fight!

Yeah, Bungie's Forerunner metal/stone ambiguity was really cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom