• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Online modders working to strip micro-transactions, release worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomba13

Why would MS put MCC on PC to entice players to get Halo 5 for the Xbox One if players will now just wait for Halo 5 on PC?

Why would MS put Halo 5 out on PC after a year when they can still get money from inevitable GOTY editions and promoting the HCS?

What does Microsoft really gain from putting out their main titles on PC when they are positioned to be one of the main factors to buy an Xbox?

I dunno. What about with Ryse or letting Capcom put DR3 on PC?

Is it really wrong for modders to make this game available to everyone?

If it is only going to be released in russia, it's not like we have an alternative to access the game or even pay for the microtransactions.

I think an analogous situation is something like netflix/hulu/network websites requiring VPN. I mean i want to give them my monthly subscription fee, please let me watch it outside the US/UK/whatever. If you ban my way to access you (VPN), what legitimate alternative do i have besides torrenting?

Is it really wrong for modders to break the law and steal from Microsoft? I would say yes. How would you feel if you promised to send me an item but I threw a tantrum because it didn't come fast enough/wasn't what I expected, so I broke into your residence, stole it, and did whatever I wanted with your property? Are you cool with that?

It shocks me that so many people think it's okay to just take what they want in life when told no.

flkraven

Modding out the micro transactions is no different than piracy, but I love the mental gymnastics that the modder uses to justify it.

I'm not advocating anything, just an outside spectator. Don't play the morality card on me.

You kinda are with the whole "if they gave us what we wanted" comment.

Reeks of the same thought process behind the assclown who decided to pirate Dishwasher because he felt he was owed a PC release and he felt he was "restoring justice".

Want to play Halo? Buy a goddamn Xbox console or move to Russia, MS doesn't owe anyone a PC release.

Check your damn entitlement.

TomShoe

Banned
I dunno. What about with Ryse or letting Capcom put DR3 on PC?

I believe those IP are owned by their respective companies. They must have had either an exclusivity period or a clause which allowed them to port it if the game didn't reach sales targets.

PensOwl

Banned
I'm not convinced that even if MS released MCC and H5 on PC people wouldn't download this anyway with the same justifications.

jelly

Why would MS put MCC on PC to entice players to get Halo 5 for the Xbox One if players will now just wait for Halo 5 on PC?

Why would MS put Halo 5 out on PC after a year when they can still get money from inevitable GOTY editions and promoting the HCS?

What does Microsoft really gain from putting out their main titles on PC when they are positioned to be one of the main factors to buy an Xbox?

Money.

Money.

Money.

Some people will never buy a console, why ignore them, make more money. Some people might after getting a taste at little extra cost, no loss either way. It's an ecosystem battle, you get them on PC, Xbox, Tablet, Phone, Office, Minecraft etc. Microsoft win everytime. Not about one device. Also, might not be day and date on everything which is fair enough, piracy is a problem, investments are large but the cloud direction only negates that and Steam games survive well enough if you give users a good platform, support and fair prices. Xbox consoles can still have their day in the sun and trickling down software to the other platforms is a money maker, not a loss.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I wonder if the region locking is due to fear of franchise cannibalism. I guess Microsoft is worried Halo Online could over shadow Halo 5 and rightfully so, Online F2P Halo on the PC already has 10 times the possible audience that Halo 5 - a 60 dollar console exclusive has.

I'm not convinced that even if MS released MCC and H5 on PC people wouldn't download this anyway with the same justifications.

I wouldn't want to play Peer to Peer multiplayer, which is what the modders are setting up. I want trusted dedicated servers which are officially supported.

MouldyK

Brb, going to get Killzone 3 working on PC as Sony have taken too long to tend to me needs.

And also going to put Mario 3D World on PC as Nintendo ain't doing it themselves.

Might aswell fix the lottery aswell as the UK has denied my want for £4 million for too long dammit!

meanspartan

Yeah lets criticize an initiative that just started a few months ago for lack of games when they've already stated that other big Xbox franchises would come to PC in the future.

You guys act like its so simple to put halo on pc when it's the Xbox ones main selling point for many. They'll announce MCC for pc probably after halo 5.

You would be totally right if this wasn't the 20th time they were supposedly starting such an initiative.

Crayon

Ms has set up a situation where this was bound to happen. You can balk all you want. Those who claim "the world doesnt work like that, you cant just take things" have their head miles up their own ass. Denied the opportunity to have what they want, people will take what they want. No matter if its a videogame or a pie from the window sill. Welcome to the world.

deadman69

Soooo....one AAA, an indie, and remakes? Awesome, I feel valued! lol

And if his mandate is to be platform agnostic, I fully expect to see Halo 5 and MCC on PC right?

you're going to be able to play MCC and halo 5 on launch on pc
by streaming it from your xbox.........

If this game is pay-to-win, and I'm not sure how a game so focused on pvp and filled with microtransactions isn't, I can't get up in arms over this. Just seems like one blight on gaming fucking over another.

danmaku

Meh, even if they manage to unlock everything for free, the game still won't work online, unless they want to use unofficial hacked servers. No big deal.

Pizza

Those two reasons are why this isn't being called out more ferociously. Lots of people see it as taking the real game back from a giant corporation's bad business model.

I'd actually be pumped if they brought it over, I'd probably pay them money too!

I feel as bad about playing a forcefully fan-localized free version of halo as I do about being excited to play the localized free version of the cancelled Dragon ball mmo.

If ms has no plans to bring a f2p halo over, then it's fine for the fans to do it themselves tbh. Thats how mother 3 happened.

Meh, even if they manage to unlock everything for free, the game still won't work online, unless they want to use unofficial hacked servers. No big deal.

They are planning to have p2p. They have managed to do a lot in such a few days.

They even have a working chat server ingame via server emulation.

mattp

how is this a mod?
they're taking the free to play game and stripping out the micro transactions
aka stealing the game

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
This seemed inevitable. I wonder how they decide which market they are going to relegate something like this to. COD Online is China. This is for Russia. There seem to be plenty of markets where nobody buys games for $60, so I'm surprised they release these things for a single country. Somebody else will take a crack at this in the future.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
With all this PC attention going into Halo Online.
I can see them announcing Halo 3 for PC at E3.....
Windows 10 exclusive using the new Windows Store.

Oh, yay. It only took them.... eight years? No, what MS should do is release the Master Cheifer Collection (lol @ the state of that though) on PC like the PC fanbase wanted. Too bad MS screwed themselves over and are basically not getting that there is a PC fanbase for the series there in order to protect their console investments.

All Microsoft has needed to do was release Halo 3 on PC. Not only would they make money, but people wouldn't feel insulted with this Halo Online. This is akin to a Pokemon MMO only in Japan.

wwm0nkey

Nope, it's gonna INSPIRE THEM TO RELEASE ALL THEIR GAMES ON PC SO THEY CAN DEAL WITH MODDERS AND PIRATES, THEIR NEW BEST FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!
Its a mixed feel. People did this due to the lack of Halo on PC so it shows there is a market there. Then there is the fact that this is piracy... But again brought on by the lack of official PC support.

This could be used as a "see PC people only priate" or "huh, they really want Halo 3 huh?"

Grief.exe

From Microsoft's perspective, releasing something like MCC as an exclusive title is done to get people to buy into the Xbox ecosystem.

Sell people on the console initially with MCC, Sunset Overdrive, or any other exclusive title, then they are purchasing Xbox Live, some downloadable games, and more AAA titles. Microsoft is collecting money at every turn.

PC gamers likely aren't a great demographic from that context. If we do buy a PS4 or XBO, we likely are only buying a couple games a year, not buying Live or PS+, and not buying any multiplatform games.
From our perspective those are bad values, paying higher prices for objectively worse performance, and no forwards compatibility.

Developing and releasing games such as MCC or The Order are very expensive, Microsoft or Sony may not even be looking to make a profit up front with these releases, theoretically they will be making more profit on the back end. This was also the reasoning behind pushing the console as a loss leader in prior generations.

Just pointing out their perspective as to why something like MCC likely won't be coming to PC.

It might end up with them saying the complete opposite.

If people were hopeful in actually getting a mainline Halo game on pc since the 2007 vista failure they're invited to sit next to the Half-Life 3 crazies. People saw a chance to strip the f2p portions of the game and make their own Halo 3 and they're doing it.

Soooo....one AAA, an indie, and remakes? Awesome, I feel valued! lol

And if his mandate is to be platform agnostic, I fully expect to see Halo 5 and MCC on PC right?

You're discouting AOE II and Rise of Nations in a thread about people so thirsty for a decade old game that they're willing to hack it open.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Andodalf

Banned
Yeah, if they remove micro transactions they are just planning on stealing the game and giving it away. That's morally wrong.

You would be totally right if this wasn't the 20th time they were supposedly starting such an initiative.

If you want to equate each time a MS exec talks about supporting PC to, visibly, developing a content distribution service I can't argue that. From my perspective we've got 4 initiatives so far.

- Pre-Xbox MS
- GFWL
- Windows 8
- Windows 10

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
From Microsoft's perspective, releasing something like MCC as an exclusive title is done to get people to buy into the Xbox ecosystem.

Sell people on the console initially with MCC, Sunset Overdrive, or any other exclusive title, then they are purchasing Xbox Live, some downloadable games, and more AAA titles. Microsoft is collecting money at every turn.

PC gamers likely aren't a great demographic from that context. If we do buy a PS4 or XBO, we likely are only buying a couple games a year, not buying Live or PS+, and not buying any multiplatform games.
From our perspective those are bad values, paying higher prices for objectively worse performance, and no forwards compatibility.

Developing and releasing games such as MCC or The Order are very expensive, Microsoft or Sony may not even be looking to make a profit up front with these releases, theoretically they will be making more profit on the back end. This was also the reasoning behind pushing the console as a loss leader in prior generations.

Just pointing out their perspective as to why something like MCC likely won't be coming to PC.

I'm sorry, but MS is a software company first and hardware company second. They could easily release their titles on PC and get support (like they did before the X-box move happened and they started to lose support) while getting whatever flagging console-only people on the X-box. The problem with MS is that their IP and hardware simply doesn't garner much support. I'll play Halo, but I'm not buying a system to play it on. Either it comes to a platform (X-box or PC) that I already own, or it can kick rocks.

RK9039

If people were hopeful in actually getting a mainline Halo game on pc since the 2007 vista failure they're invited to sit next to the Half-Life 3 crazies. People saw a chance to strip the f2p portions of the game and make their own Halo 3 and they're doing it.

I'm already sat down with the Half Life 3 loonies.

Yeah, if they remove micro transactions they are just planning on stealing the game and giving it away. That's morally wrong.

If they leave the micro-transactions in where does the money go?

Foffy

Banned
Interesting that hackers didn't even wait to see how pervasive the micro-transactions are before feeling like they ought to be circumvented. If the model is on cosmetics, I see no issue for the model to even be in the game, but we all know micro-transactions often metastasize and compromise major features of experiences, weakening the experience to those who don't wish to offer paper and metal to bypass boundaries intentionally put in their way...

Still, I find a scenario like this interesting. I think most of all it shows how volatile hardcore consumers and fans dread the model being used here, where F2P is almost seen as a curse and a kind of death sentance for the game.

Snorlocs

Looks like a vicious cycle to me. Microsoft don't put anything on the PC because people complain a ton and seedier individuals proceed to steal whatever they can as a "look what you made us do". Because Microsoft doesn't put anything on the pc people complain a ton and seedier individuals steal whatever they can as a "look what you made us do." Rinse and repeat. This is just my speculation though.

While I can respect their perspective, a 6 billion profit company would have no trouble with releasing Halo 3, ODST and Reach for a normal game price on PC.
Its a mixed feel. People did this due to the lack of Halo on PC so it shows there is a market there. Then there is the fact that this is piracy... But again brought on by the lack of official PC support.

This could be used as a "see PC people only priate" or "huh, they really want Halo 3 huh?"

Exactly, these issues are only here because of Microsoft. Piracy is a service problem.

moai

Maybe im reading the article wrong but how is character customization "pay to win"? I mean the "at first glance it appears it has the pay to win potential" phrase is very vague.

slugfeet

Neo Member
I really hope this persuades microsoft to release some sort of Halo PC port, but then again they probably will never do this because they need to keep it an xbox exclusive in order to push console sells.

Grief.exe

I'm sorry, but MS is a software company first and hardware company second. They could easily release their titles on PC and get support (like they did before the X-box move happened and they started to lose support) while getting whatever flagging console-only people on the X-box. The problem with MS is that their IP and hardware simply doesn't garner much support. I'll play Halo, but I'm not buying a system to play it on. Either it comes to a platform (X-box or PC) that I already own, or it can kick rocks.

Sure, but this division within Microsoft is committed to hardware and I was just pointing out their rationale to exclusive titles.
This us why you do hear about internal struggles and rumors into selling the Xbox brand. It would be easy to form an argument behind dismissing a perpetual loss leader that runs almost counterintuitive to their PC venture.

Microsoft's hardware division will also be growing in yhr coming years. The Surface line posted a massive revenue in the last year and will only continue to grow.

While I can respect their perspective, a 6 billion profit company would have no trouble with releasing Halo 3, ODST and Reach for a normal game price on PC.

You unintentionally hit the nail on the head. Who is going to internally push for what would account for a drop in the bucket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom