• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Online modders working to strip micro-transactions, release worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snorlocs

While I can respect their perspective, a 6 billion profit company would have no trouble with releasing Halo 3, ODST and Reach for a normal game price on PC.

Exactly, these issues are only here because of Microsoft. Piracy is a service problem.
That's not true as non ms games get pirated too. I don't think that microsofts actions are causing piracy; I think that their actions are giving people "justification"

So they have no proof that the game is going to be pay 2 win, but they'll force out a pirated version anyway because "Fuck MS".

Am I getting this right?

Why not do something productive and just ask MS to release the game WW, or, better yet, ask for the (IMO inevitable) PC port of MCC? You are not being "screwed" out of $2 helmets and gun decals in a free game.

Sou Da

So they have no proof that the game is going to be pay 2 win, but they'll force out a pirated version anyway because "Fuck MS".

Am I getting this right?

Why not do something productive and just ask MS to release the game WW, or, better yet, ask for the (IMO inevitable) PC port of MCC? You are not being "screwed" out of $2 helmets and gun decals in a free game.

Devil's advocate, they don't believe that asking Microsoft does anything.

I suspect whatever became of Halo 3 on Steam eventually became Halo Online. Halo Online's engine so far looks to be 90% Halo 3's with some 4/Reach assets and elements, so I doubt we'll see Halo 3 in its proper form on PC. While I don't necessarily condone the actions of the leakers and modders doing this, I understand their sentiment. There's been an unusually high demand for Halo 3 on PC for years and MS has ignored that demand. They see it as an opportunity to get the game they want out of a different product they didn't want.

From an outsider's perspective, it is interesting to see what they're achieving. The progress they've made in reverse engineering the code is impressive. They just got Forge up and running when it was initially disabled completely.

EDIT:

Am I getting this right?

People have been asking for Halo on PC since after Halo 2 Vista's release and nothing aside from Spartan Assault and Online ever materialized. I guess they felt like no further effort was going to get them what they wanted without drastic measures.

jelly

From Microsoft's perspective, releasing something like MCC as an exclusive title is done to get people to buy into the Xbox ecosystem.

Sell people on the console initially with MCC, Sunset Overdrive, or any other exclusive title, then they are purchasing Xbox Live, some downloadable games, and more AAA titles. Microsoft is collecting money at every turn.

PC gamers likely aren't a great demographic from that context. If we do buy a PS4 or XBO, we likely are only buying a couple games a year, not buying Live or PS+, and not buying any multiplatform games.
From our perspective those are bad values, paying higher prices for objectively worse performance, and no forwards compatibility.

Developing and releasing games such as MCC or The Order are very expensive, Microsoft or Sony may not even be looking to make a profit up front with these releases, theoretically they will be making more profit on the back end. This was also the reasoning behind pushing the console as a loss leader in prior generations.

Just pointing out their perspective as to why something like MCC likely won't be coming to PC.

I understand that and accept you probably wouldn't see a close release schedule, big budgets need a big return but outright no, bad idea, you delay and adapt to the platform. Halo and others could improve massively with mod tools and better community support, also make new revenue streams with customisation and that's even after the greater numbers of players just by being on PC. You only have to look at some games on Steam to see. Releasing all Xbox games as is on PC probably isn't the best the idea, they need to take advantage of the platforms strengths. The community will follow and support games if you have the right platform and tools, Microsoft are talented enough to do it. PC gamers have their fun, consoles gamers have their fun.

mcrommert

Banned
I'm sorry, but MS is a software company first and hardware company second. They could easily release their titles on PC and get support (like they did before the X-box move happened and they started to lose support) while getting whatever flagging console-only people on the X-box. The problem with MS is that their IP and hardware simply doesn't garner much support. I'll play Halo, but I'm not buying a system to play it on. Either it comes to a platform (X-box or PC) that I already own, or it can kick rocks.

Gears and Halo are the reason i own an xbox...end of story

There are many like me

Maybe im reading the article wrong but how is character customization "pay to win"? I mean the "at first glance it appears it has the pay to win potential" phrase is very vague.
From arstechnica:

Kyle Orland @ arstechnica said:
That "added stuff" refers to the free-to-play game's microtransaction model, which appears to let players purchase different classes of armor and rent time-limited weapons for real-world cash.
Sounds pay-to-win to me. Real money purchases netting you an advantage over your competition. And gah, renting.

rhandino

Banned
I'm not advocating anything, just an outside spectator. Don't play the morality card on me.

FeRCjcB.png

If Microsoft gave us what we wanted, this wouldn't be necessary.

XXiI4iz.png

Maztorre

I have a hard time sympathising with Microsoft when they created a situation that anyone could see coming a mile off, and most people condemning the modders are making selective arguments that fail to account for Microsoft's behaviour on PC with the Halo franchise.

Microsoft don't get to claim that their new Halo game, after releasing two previous titles on PC, is going for a "different audience" without expecting a massive backlash from a) people in the existing audience who purchased the previous games on PC, and b) people who hear vague promises from Microsoft every 18 months about improved PC support that never materialises. These people are not "entitled", they're rightfully pissed off that they're being passed over again in favour of a game that would have been an April Fool's headline only a couple of years ago.

This was the natural conclusion to announcing that the next Halo PC title was an F2P game limited to the Russian market. That's like, barely a step above the "Here's a sequel to your favourite JRPG...exclusively for iOS!" bullshit that console owners react equally negatively to.

As for the "If you want <<xbox title>> buy an xbox" crowd, you are being intentionally disingenuous. At this point it's comical trying to figure out what an exclusive xbox title even is until 6 months after a title's launch. Nowadays you not only need to decipher what definition of "exclusive" the platform holder is using at the time of announcement, but you also need to wait half a year for NDAs to expire to see if the developer has had a PC version waiting in the wings the entire time.

So yeah, legal or not, Microsoft have seemingly done everything they can to earn this kind of reaction from people who want to be their customers.

Ms has set up a situation where this was bound to happen. You can balk all you want. Those who claim "the world doesnt work like that, you cant just take things" have their head miles up their own ass. Denied the opportunity to have what they want, people will take what they want. No matter if its a videogame or a pie from the window sill. Welcome to the world.
Well in real world there are those who take that pie from the window sill, but there are also penalties if you do that. If everyone would act like entitled 6-year old and take things just cos they want those, this world wouldn't work.

Andodalf

Banned
Judgment should be held till we see if armor is just cosmetic, and if weapons are only attainable with micro transactions, not on the map.

Judgment should be held till we see if armor is just cosmetic, and if weapons are only attainable with micro transactions, not on the map.

No, there's definitely non-cosmetic microtransactions. It's definitely p2w, that's not the issue here. If you (general "you," not you specifically) don't like the way a game does something, don't buy it, and don't steal it.

wwm0nkey

Its been confirmed armor alters stats iirc and the modders already have access to the new weapons and some of them seem crazy, like the 5 shot BR.

You also have to pay to rent weapons.

No, there's definitely non-cosmetic microtransactions. It's definitely p2w, that's not the issue here. If you (general "you," not you specifically) don't like the way a game does something, don't buy it, and don't steal it.
I won't buy it, and I certainly won't steal it, but if it was bombed from orbit I sure as hell wouldn't mourn it.

i9m6E8F1oN4hG.jpg

Definitely? Have you played the game or do you work for Microsoft? If the answer to either of those questions is 'no' then you are just talking out of your butt unless I'm missing something from the article. The modders/thieves themselves didn't even find hard evidence, they just made an assumption and are using it as an excuse to steal. I do agree though that if you don't like something, don't buy it instead of engaging in illegal activity.

Bsigg12

I won't buy it, and I certainly won't steal it, but if it was bombed from orbit I sure as hell wouldn't mourn it.

i9m6E8F1oN4hG.jpg

This is fair. I do expect something proper for Halo on PC to be announced at or around E3, I don't expect it to be a localized Halo Online though.

Definitely? Have you played the game or do you work for Microsoft? If the answer to either of those questions is 'no' then you are just talking out of your butt unless I'm missing something from the article. The modders/thieves themselves didn't even find hard evidence, they just made an assumption and are using it as an excuse to steal. I do agree though that if you don't like something, don't buy it instead of engaging in illegal activity.

You don't have to be an insider/modder to watch an announcement video and see 2 currencies and gun rentals with stat buffs.

There are something like 5 variations of each gun that focuses on a specific stat like damage, clip size or accuracy which also includes a different looking variation of the gun.

This article picks apart some of the more glaring bits of evidence from the initial trailer. It's pretty self-evident.

meanspartan

You're discouting AOE II and Rise of Nations in a thread about people so thirsty for a decade old game that they're willing to hack it open.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You're equating remakes of games already on PC to one of the Xbox's only wothwhile exclusives?

Hopefully this forces their hand and they do the decent thing rather than dicking about with monetisation strategies and experiments. They're making this much harder than it should be.

meanspartan

SOmeone on Gaf had once compiled a list of all (or at least many) of the times Microsoft had said something to the effect of "We will take PC gaming seriosuly from now on".

Anyone got the link?

I really don't get the "information wants to be free! The man can't stop us!" hacker attitudes when it comes to a video game, and, you know, not something of actual political or social importance.

Hmm I don't think they give two shits about political or social importance, I think they want to play this game without corporate BS

I love the fact that MS says, "we're doing this to you because we can". then hackers and modders turn right around and say, "No, we're doing this to YOU because WE can". Dat illusion of power

Crayon

Well in real world there are those who take that pie from the window sill, but there are also penalties if you do that.

If everyone would act like entitled 6-year old and take things just cos they want those, this world wouldn't work.

If you are trying to make a point i have no idea what it is.

Your first sentence says theres consequences to what you deem wrong doing with no mention of the part where youd have to get caught doing it. Fanciful. Maybe naive.

Your second is... Just hot air?

Welfare

Hopefully this forces their hand and they do the decent thing rather than dicking about with monetisation strategies and experiments. They're making this much harder than it should be.

What decent thing?

This game is not designed as a standard Halo game. It's targeted to a different audience!

The only people making this harder are the "heroes" that don't understand this game isn't Halo 3 with p2w elements.

Kuroyume

Banned
Why would MS put MCC on PC to entice players to get Halo 5 for the Xbox One if players will now just wait for Halo 5 on PC?

Why would MS put Halo 5 out on PC after a year when they can still get money from inevitable GOTY editions and promoting the HCS?

What does Microsoft really gain from putting out their main titles on PC when they are positioned to be one of the main factors to buy an Xbox?

Sales?

Most PC gamers aren't ever going to go out of their way to purchase an XBOX One to play Halo. It didn't happen in Halo's heydey, and it sure as hell isn't going to happen now at Halo's current state. But put it on a PC platform and people may bite because it's now convenient for them.

Maztorre

Was not expecting so many people to try and justify piracy in this thread

While not justifiable, it was certainly blatantly obviously going to happen and understandably so. Unless of course you live in a make-believe world of absolutes and disregard everything Microsoft has done to "support" PC games in the last 8 years, in which case it's thoroughly shocking that there would be a negative reaction to a F2P Halo title available to Russians only.

Reebot

Hmm I don't think they give two shits about political or social importance, I think they want to play this game without corporate BS

I love the fact that MS says, "we're doing this to you because we can". then hackers and modders turn right around and say, "No, we're doing this to YOU because WE can". Dat illusion of power

Um, what? No, that's not at all what's happening here. Microsoft is not doing this "just because they can." Its a calculated business move.

Synth

What if he mods out the ability to obtain micro transaction items is it still piracy?

Yes. Because a version of this game without the f2p model would have been sold for a non-zero fee. You wouldn't have been entitled to a completely free version of it either way. I'm surprised you felt the need to ask this.

I'm sorry, but MS is a software company first and hardware company second. They could easily release their titles on PC and get support (like they did before the X-box move happened and they started to lose support) while getting whatever flagging console-only people on the X-box. The problem with MS is that their IP and hardware simply doesn't garner much support. I'll play Halo, but I'm not buying a system to play it on. Either it comes to a platform (X-box or PC) that I already own, or it can kick rocks.

It doesn't matter what their business origins are. When they create games specifically for the purpose of selling their console/ecosystem, it's understandable that they don't then remove that draw. This line of reasoning suggests that Nintendo should put all their games on PC as well because the Wii U isn't doing great, and that Sony is simply missing out on tons of cash by not putting out a PC version of Gran Turismo 7 and Uncharted 4. They don't care for your single purchase (probably during a Steam sale). They're using these games so they can get a recurring fee for their online service and a cut of the next FIFA/CoD/GTA. I don't think some of you are really appreciating that they've likely already done the math, and it's not in "I want MCC on Steam"'s favor.

Was not expecting so many people to try and justify piracy in this thread

You should have seen the previous thread... it was amazing.

Um, what? No, that's not at all what's happening here. Microsoft is not doing this "just because they can." Its a calculated business move.

A calculated business move that their hardcore fanbase doesn't want. Why would they do a move that their hardcore fanbase doesn't want? Because they can get away with it. Because there are enough human beings that will sustain the practice. They know their hardcore fanbase doesn't want it, but they doing it anyway because they can. There are better ways to make money, they're choosing the one that fucks consumers the most

I love exploiting errors at large corporations expense but pirating is a whole different ballpark.

This isn't like Microsoft is withholding water from you. It's a video game. Be an adult and recognize that you're not supposed to play this and/or admit that you're too cheap to pay for the game properly. Hiding behind some sort of moral crusade is doing you no favors. Microsoft doesn't owe you jack shit.

This is fair. I do expect something proper for Halo on PC to be announced at or around E3, I don't expect it to be a localized Halo Online though.

You don't have to be an insider/modder to watch an announcement video and see 2 currencies and gun rentals with stat buffs.

There are something like 5 variations of each gun that focuses on a specific stat like damage, clip size or accuracy which also includes a different looking variation of the gun.

Maybe we should wait for hard evidence, you know, like official word, before resorting to stealing.

This article picks apart some of the more glaring bits of evidence from the initial trailer. It's pretty self-evident.

Thanks for the clarification, this passage supports the F2P/P2W angle:

The Armory is where you buy your stylized armor. It looks like the armor will have passive bonuses like increased melee damage or boosted shield recovery, further incentivizing the pay-to-win structure.

I hate this as much as the next person but that still doesn't give people the right to commit piracy. Just don't support the product; if there's no money to be made they'll change.

Dudes.... there's no moral crusade here... this isn't Anonymous, these are modders who don't give a damn about what is considered piracy.

You guys are painting them to be heroes so that you can make a point that isn't even relevant here.

i9m6E8F1oN4hG.jpg

Pretty much my attitude :p

Oh, it's definitely P2W. You can buy armor that gives you stat bonuses, and you rent guns that are unambiguous upgrades over the standard fare, all for real money.

a916

There's people here that think it's okay because MS hasn't released a Halo (not Halo 1, but a newer Halo) for the PC?

The hell...

Haunted

oh no if these guys get their way I might be able to play the game and not give microsoft any money instead of not being able to play the game and not give microsoft any money

Synth

Need more salt for these Halo fanboys.

The only thing this being Halo changes, is the likelyhood that people that like (or are interested in) Halo see the thread. Other than that it's really just about who's willing to actually admit it's stealing vs those that dance all around the topic trying to justify it.

oh no if these guys get their way I might be able to play the game and not give microsoft any money instead of not being able to play the game and not give microsoft any money

So you're okay with piracy?

I guess we can assume this extends to most of your gaming habits? After all, if you're happy to do it here, I'm sure you've done it before and will continue to so.

Stealing doesn't pay, son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom