• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

WHT? You can't customize your armor? That's really lame. I don't want to feel greedy because of how much they are giving me but it would be awesome to see a patch so you can customize your Spartan.

It's not greedy to expect a feature from one (or two) of the games to be present when they said the games will be exactly as they were.

Especially when it is a feature that everyone loves and was an important part of Halo 3.

Thought we already knew the armor thing?

And boo to multiplayer achievements. At least they're a really small part of the pie this time around, but still.

Nowise10

Those are usually specified in the achievement description.

Well their is litterally no point in Halo 2 speedruns, when anyone of my friends can just put on the Bandana Skull, Scarab skull, Active Camo Skull, ect. Same thing with achievements, it takes the entire challenge out of them, and overall the entire fun.

Would be an idiotic decision to enable achievements and speedruns. When you activate cheat codes in any other game, they disable achievements. I don't see why skulls wouldn't be handled the same way.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
This is right up there with the "campaign scoring readout doesn't warp with MC's HUD" complaint.
I don't think it is, not even close.

And don't call me salty. I'm absolutely in love with this collection. 4 months since E3 and this is the first and only time i've had a grievance.

Welfare

Well their is litterally no point in Halo 2 speedruns, when anyone of my friends can just put on the Bandana Skull, Scarab skull, Active Camo Skull, ect. Same thing with achievements, it takes the entire challenge out of them, and overall the entire fun.

Would be an idiotic decision to enable achievements and speedruns. When you activate cheat codes in any other game, they disable achievements. I don't see why skulls wouldn't be handled the same way.

Maybe the achievements unlock with skulls on, but you don't post records to the leaderboards.

Madness

Haha, I hope it is. Will use my infinite ammo/grenade skull on and use it to best legendary. Don't have the time or patience to do it, even better if it helps me get the armor associated with hose achievements.

But I don't know what you mean by it ruins the fun or challenge of them? Just tell your friends not to use them and do it. Or are you one of those guys who gets upset because they used an easier way to get an achievement whereas you did it "legitimately"?

RoKKeR

I get that, I'm just in constant amazement at the complete lack of flexibility when we're getting so much else. This is right up there with the "campaign scoring readout doesn't warp with MC's HUD" complaint. I guess I need a steady diet of salt to fit in here.

Of course it's nit-picky but it's a part of the game. Any sort of complaint coming from me can hardly be seen as a complaint given the amount of content here but little things like customization are things I really like about the Halo series and I was big on in Halo 3.

Random17

Yup, the community leaderboards are pointless if extra skulls like Bandanna or skulls like the Scarab skull can be activated.

The LASO playlist should also have an option for the LASO skulls that were originally in Halo 2.

The leaderboards are meant to be about competitive timings on difficult missions, not who gets the best preorder bonuses or misuses the Scarab skull the most.

On the other hand stuff like Envy should stay. It's a really fun skull that doesn't make things too easy. It really adds to the MC missions on Legendary IMO and that should be recognized. And it was in the original game.

ElRenoRaven

How did this get past QA?

Also I missed the part of the IGN stream that showed that you can't actually customize your multiplayer Spartan's armor in Halo 3 and 4, you just pick from the full armor sets and can't mix and match AND the DLC armor isn't even in the collection.
The fuck 343? Shit better get patched.

It won't. It's like the shotgun glitch in Halo 1 Anniversary. Nice to see the attention to detail or lack there of is being kept up. lol

343N

Neo Member
Yup, the community leaderboards are pointless if extra skulls like Bandanna or skulls like the Scarab skull can be activated.

The LASO playlist should also have an option for the LASO skulls that were originally in Halo 2.

The leaderboards are meant to be about competitive timings on difficult missions, not who gets the best preorder bonuses or misuses the Scarab skull the most.

On the other hand stuff like Envy should stay. It's a really fun skull that doesn't make things too easy. It really adds to the MC missions on Legendary IMO and that should be recognized. And it was in the original game.

Honestly I think the best solution for this would be have leaderboards specific for skull sets, and difficulties. Someone goes on the leaderboard for Halo 2, Legendary with Sputnik and Mythic, for example, and only other people who have played with the exact same skull set and difficulty go on that leaderboard. If it's legendary with only Mythic then it'll be a completely different leaderboard. Everybody wins.

Random17

Honestly I think the best solution for this would be have leaderboards specific for skull sets, and difficulties. Someone goes on the leaderboard for Halo 2, Legendary with Sputnik and Mythic, for example, and only other people who have played with the exact same skull set and difficulty go on that leaderboard. If it's legendary with only Mythic then it'll be a completely different leaderboard. Everybody wins.

The number of combinations in that plan is actually absurd, that isn't a feasible solution, but I like the general idea.

I can see this being good:

-Halo 2; No skulls
-Halo 2; All classic skulls
-Halo 2; All gold skulls
-Halo 2; All skulls

Halo 4 with Catch on is easier than Halo 4 Vanilla, which is why it would have something like this for the other three games...

-Halo 4; No skulls
-Halo 4; All skulls

This would follow the current set of speedrun rules reasonably well.

Japarican

Banned
They had to spoil the goodwill somehow, it's in their nature. That hijack 5 vehicles in a single game one is going to absolutely cripple BTB games for a while.

Yup, that's the thing about these stupid achievements, they make other players do the random achievement instead of playing the game. When they had that donkeyshit achievement lasering 2 people in lone wolf for halo 3, everyone boosted that. There's going to be teamkilling now with people trying to get these achievements

never really was a fan of multiplayer achievements, usually too much randomness is required to get them :/

for those really trying for 4000/4000 (or how much more its now with the additional 50) it sound like a real pain if you want to achieve it honestly and without boosting

willow ve

never really was a fan of multiplayer achievements, usually too much randomness is required to get them :/

for those really trying for 4000/4000 (or how much more its now with the additional 50) it sound like a real pain if you want to achieve it honestly and without boosting

As a long time achievement whore (yes I bought games like King Kong, TMNT, and The Last Air Bender just to boost my score to beat a friend) I think it's finally time to hang up the hat on "completing" every game.

Hard to do as I have every achievement on Xbox 360 for every Halo game (other than Wars), but I feel like it's time to just enjoy games and not spend countless hours attempting to whore for the bleep bloop.

I don't know if I can do it. I'll probably join sessions on True Achievements to get it done

Japarican

Banned
In order to get good at speedrunning you have to repeat the same levels over and over to get a good time.

We Destiny now BAE
i4nGWbRtoNjpV.gif

Cow

Seriously, I thought we were past them. They impact MP so much. Anything beyond get 200 total kills type achievements, or win 50 matches always negatively impact MP. These aren't as obnoxious but even still.

So the win 400 matches is obnoxious to you? I think it's good they are getting people to play the multiplayer through these achievements.

The kill people on a man cannon achievement has minimal negative effect on gameplay and most people will randomly get this achievement through the next 10 or so years we have this game for.

People grinding for just the sake of achievements will most likely be a low rank in the playlist where stupid stuff happens all the time and you won't have to face some guy driving around in a gungoose or just trying to hijack vehicles. If you get to 30+ skill in a playlist this is unlikely to impact you.

People freaking out over a few achievements hah. They don't impact MP THAT much. The people that take big team seriously will win more games than they lose and once they are out of the lower ranks it won't impact them.

I have to say playing Halo 4 multiplayer a lot at launch I didn't notice it once. Not once did I see some guy doing something weird and thinking oh god he's not playing properly because he's going for x achievement. People do stupid shit all the time in Halo multiplayer, just because it's fun, especially in big team.

Hey guys, quit bitching about these shitty multiplayer achievements and come play a game with even shittier multiplayer achievements with us!

it's Reach

Japarican

Banned
People grinding for just the sake of achievements will most likely be a low rank in the playlist where stupid stuff happens all the time and you won't have to face some guy driving around in a gungoose or just trying to hijack vehicles. If you get to 30+ skill in a playlist this is unlikely to impact you.

People freaking out over a few achievements hah. They don't impact MP THAT much. The people that take big team seriously will win more games than they lose and once they are out of the lower ranks it won't impact them.

Wait, H2A is ranked? Welp, I have to tryhard to get these at lowest levels or I'm boned.

Madness

Really? Because I saw entire matches of people walking up to people on the other team with a hardlight shield giving them free kills, throwing pulse grenades over and over going for that double kill, I would see people purposely try and hijack a vehicle instead of trying to destroy it etc.

It's not like I'm making this stuff up. Hell like I said, I was one of those idiots who used to do it when I cared about achievements too.

Beyond just win X number of matches, get X number of kills overall, anything match specific is bad because it'll purposely cause them to play differently. How many will just camp and try for the ninja achievement?

Nowise10

Haha, I hope it is. Will use my infinite ammo/grenade skull on and use it to best legendary. Don't have the time or patience to do it, even better if it helps me get the armor associated with hose achievements.

But I don't know what you mean by it ruins the fun or challenge of them? Just tell your friends not to use them and do it. Or are you one of those guys who gets upset because they used an easier way to get an achievement whereas you did it "legitimately"?

So should you just be paid as much as Bill Gates because you "don't have the time or patience" to do the work? No, you shouldn't. Too bad. You can't do it. That is part of the challenge and effort meant to unlock achievements. And no, I'm not going to go tell all 150 of my friends to not use skulls to do speedruns.

Quit defending bad decisions. It ruins the an entire part of gaming with that kind of attitude.

BradC00

does this guy have a legit complaint or is he just being a whiner? i didn't even know people still played halo 1 on XB competitively on LAN.

So the win 400 matches is obnoxious to you? I think it's good they are getting people to play the multiplayer through these achievements.

The kill people on a man cannon achievement has minimal negative effect on gameplay and most people will randomly get this achievement through the next 10 or so years we have this game for.

I have to say playing Halo 4 multiplayer a lot at launch I didn't notice it once. Not once did I see some guy doing something weird and thinking oh god he's not playing properly because he's going for x achievement. People do stupid shit all the time in Halo multiplayer, just because it's fun, especially in big team.

Actually, you are wrong.

Random17

In order to get good at speedrunning you have to repeat the same levels over and over to get a good time.

The difference is that one activity is supposed to be enjoyable and part of the replayability that Halo campaigns are known for. Speedrunning is basically competitive Campaign playing.

The other is an MMO loot/grind fest.

The salt is too strong in this thread, speedrunning achievement are awesome guys. The multiplayer achievements are not.

Japarican

Banned
The difference is that one activity is supposed to be enjoyable and part of the replayability that Halo campaigns are known for. Speedrunning is basically competitive Campaign playing.

The other is an MMO loot/grind fest.

The salt is too strong in this thread, speedrunning achievement are awesome guys. The multiplayer achievements are not.

The whole point is it's still repeating doing the exact same shit, doesn't matter if it has loot or not. Also, we can say the "loot" is the achievement. Enjoyable/replayable campaigns...you do know speedrunning skips cutscenes/areas/sequences that break the game. You don't do that when you replay a game lol

Random17

The whole point is it's still repeating doing the exact same shit, doesn't matter if it has loot or not.
The difference is that one activity is supposed to be enjoyable and part of the replayability that Halo campaigns are known for.

No two speedruns are the same except for certain missions like Uprising where the route hardly changes. By this logic the "exact same shit" includes all MP matches with the same settings and map.

Also, we can say the "loot" is the achievement. Enjoyable/replayable campaigns...you do know speedrunning skips cutscenes/areas/sequences that break the game. You don't do that when you replay a game lol

Replaying a game and speedrunning are not mutually exclusive.

Madness

So should you just be paid as much as Bill Gates because you "don't have the time or patience" to do the work? No, you shouldn't. Too bad. You can't do it. That is part of the challenge and effort meant to unlock achievements. And no, I'm not going to go tell all 150 of my friends to not use skulls to do speedruns.

Quit defending bad decisions. It ruins the an entire part of gaming with that kind of attitude.

LOL, as if that analogy is even remotely comparable here. The achievement is beating legendary, whether it's with or without skulls is the difference here. But as it doesn't explicitly state no skulls (like they somehow state, only in matchmaking not custom), then it's fair game.

I don't know what you're saying, where you say you won't tell your friends to avoid skulls due to speed runs. I'm pretty sure there would be a way to tell if a speed run was done with skills activated or without skulls. So why would it impact you if ten friends did it with skulls, 50 did it without?

I get what you're saying though where it lessens the achievement if there is a way to cheese it, but how is using skulls any different than the millions of other achievements people have boosted to get? Why would you feel bad if someone boosted to do something you legitimately got?

Japarican

Banned
No two speedruns are the same except for certain missions like Uprising where the route hardly changes. By this logic the "exact same shit" includes all MP matches with the same settings and map.

Replaying a game and speedrunning are not mutually exclusive.

Replaying "the exact same shit" in multiplayer has different outcomes and settings compared to campaign. It's like doing WoW raids which are the same, but then you do PvP and you have to react under different situations. The campaign you do the same tedious thing over and over, I know there are RNG spots, but that's not the same thing as "human rng"

Random17

I get what you're saying though where it lessens the achievement if there is a way to cheese it, but how is using skulls any different than the millions of other achievements people have boosted to get?

MP achievements and campaign achievements are two very different things.

The primary concern here is still how this affects the community leaderboards.

Random17

Replaying "the exact same shit" in multiplayer has different outcomes and settings compared to campaign. The campaign you do the same tedious thing over and over, I know there are RNG spots, but that's not the same thing as "human rng"

Sure it's no level of human RNG, but you seriously underestimate what is possible in a Campaign setting. The world record speedruns are actually even more linear than they appear; 3 hours allows for a lot more creativity in that regard. There are many, many more routes that can be used that normally aren't because the risk vs reward "calculation" didn't pay off.

And on your second point, frankly I don't consider it tedious at all. There's so much you can do in the Campaign even when you have hundreds and even thousands of hours invested into them.

does this guy have a legit complaint or is he just being a whiner? i didn't even know people still played halo 1 on XB competitively on LAN.

_Halo 1's FoV also should be respectful to the original to be "as we remember it" as we've been promised. _
Then it should also be in 4:3 aspect ratio as it was originally. And that's more than likely the reason they needed to change the FoV - it wouldn't work well in 16:9.
sseyFL1.jpg

Madness

MP achievements and campaign achievements are two very different things.

The primary concern here is still how this affects the community leaderboards.

Of course they would have a way to register whether skulls were used or not. I'm assuming leaderboards will only be used for non gameplay affecting skulls. Otherwise you'd have people with infinite ammo just get something like a rocket launcher and easily beat the level. I was more speaking to the fact that people would be super upset if someone else gets achievements using skulls when they did it without.

I only care when something affects me personally, I don't care what others do on their own time. It never bothered me that I got the Spartan two for one laser kill achievement legitimately whereas thousands of others boosted.

Japarican

Banned
Sure it's no level of human RNG, but you seriously underestimate what is possible in a Campaign setting. The world record speedruns are actually even more linear than they appear; 3 hours allows for a lot more creativity in that regard. There are many, many more routes that can be used that normally aren't because the risk vs reward "calculation" didn't pay off.

And on your second point, frankly I don't consider it tedious at all. There's so much you can do in the Campaign even when you have hundreds and even thousands of hours invested into them.

Dude, why did you even start this with me, I'm going for the 4500/4500.

Would just be too easy to grab it with Halo 4 being here.

Okay, Bungie, I agree, one 50 is too easy. Make the achievement obtain 50's in all playlists, that would be a real challenge.

Does anyone know if those Halo 5 armor chief pics represent how he will look even in the campaign? I really hope it does since it is so much better than the Halo 4 look.

Booshka

It's actually a huge problem for 2v2 Online and LANs where split screen is the ideal way to play because of the excellent FoV. I would have no problem playing Classic Halo CE in 4:3 with whatever artwork on the side of the screen if the FoV is preserved for 2v2 play. If it can't be done in 16:9 or some other resolution, then I would take that compromise, keep the 60 FPS of course.

I know a lot of people don't care about Halo CE in the first place, and especially don't see this as an issue, but it is a major gripe for the core competitive community of the game. We all preferred 2v2 on splitscreen rather than individual boxes and screens, the FoV and teamwork with screenwatching made it worth it.

Typical though, every supposed "minor" detail that gets criticized is just irrational salt. When really there is a ton of experience and logic behind the criticism. The Devil is in to details, and this is now the second instance where 343 does not get those details right for Halo CE.

Top Bottom