• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

jem0208

Only if appropriate voice chat modulation.

Well obviously.

With armor lock and sprint.

And the ability to hold two plasma grenades and go on a suicide run.

Also, shield only regenerates by slrping from a food nipple.

The Brutes, Elites and Spartans are all about the same size (or can be scaled with minimal issues) to be good player avatars. Grunts are not.

I was joking (kinda).

iMax

For those who dislike this YouTuber or don't want to watch, I've actually heard this theory before in a similar form and was something that actually popped in my head when reading Greg Bear's books.

Here's a breakdown of the theory:
The Librarian seeded many humans with some different geas (geases) which are like generations-long genetic commands. The Theory says that one of those seeds was the genetic memories/commands of a young Forerunner called Bornstellar who later becomes known as the Iso-Didact (through mutation with the Ur-Didact). This Iso-Didact/Bornstellar later goes on to be the one who activates the Halo array and even asks 343 Guilty Spark before he does so "What would you do?" - This comes back in Halo 1, at the very beginning of the Two Betrayals Cutscene where 343 asks Chief "Last time you asked me what I would do...etc" so this leads credence to the idea that John is possibly the/one of the humans who received the seed of Bornstellar when life was re-seeded in the Galaxy after the Halo array was fired. The Librarian almost says this or at least suggests it in the cutscene where she talks to Chief, saying that she placed these seeds to lead to an eventuality and that eventuality is Chief.

All in all, it's an interesting theory - It's fairly unexplored within the games lore to be honest so I doubt they'd jump on it without significant exploration of these characters (Iso-Didact) more in the games rather than just the novels. Also, we don't know if this was the original idea but due to so many negative comments about Halo 4's story this could have changed -- but Chief's journey in Halo 5 'could' be just that, a search for more information about the Forerunners and to figure out exactly what the Liberian and Didact said to him. Where Locke comes into all of this who knows - if it even is true - all will be revealed in Halo 5 I guess.

Oh, and the theory about Chief activating the rings to end the series could be quite a good thematic finale to the games, heck if they even did this it could just be to 'do away' with the Master Chief character wayyy down the road. They could still do other types of Halo games, spin-offs and side stories and such so. They'd really need to reintroduce the flood in a big way for the activation of the Halo rings to be necessary again though as we didn't even see them in Halo 4.

It sounds like a pretty watertight theory to me, actually and I'm amazed that, if it turns out to be true, they've planned it this long. But I'm not sure how it would change things. What would happen with Chief following this realisation? What would the implications be?

Also, I'm with you on that last point. Wonderful way to end Chief's story. I want to explore this universe from a non-human perspective now.

Random17

This is news to people? I first heard this theory as far back as Halo Cryptum IIRC. It's fully fledged version was then revealed when Silentium was released. That was what... almost two years ago?

What's more interesting is whether or not the
Flood/Precursor return that was promised by the Gravemind will actually happen. Escalation basically says Yes, as does Halo Nightfall.

tootsi666

This is news to people? I first heard this theory as far back as Halo Cryptum IIRC. It's fully fledged version was then revealed when Silentium was released. That was what... almost two years ago?

What's more interesting is whether or not the
Flood/Precursor return that was promised by the Gravemind will actually happen. Escalation basically says Yes, as does Halo Nightfall.
I hope an advanced Flood comes from some other galaxy with precursor tech and a new Gravemind. The Gravemind could also be a surviving precursor, controlling his flood army.

Random17

I hope an advanced Flood comes from some other galaxy with precursor tech and a new Gravemind. The Gravemind could also be a surviving precursor, controlling his flood army.
Then Humanity would literally stand no chance and any victory would come at the cost of making the Flood incredibly weak and/or stupid. They were already stretching the Forerunners with the Prometheans dying in one shot to Magnums in Spartan Ops.

TheOddOne

ofIwIm0.gif
gDDN4av.gif

tootsi666

Then Humanity would literally stand no chance and any victory would come at the cost of making the Flood incredibly weak and/or stupid. They were already stretching the Forerunners with the Prometheans dying in one shot to Magnums in Spartan Ops.
I definitely agree, but I just don't want the Flood to just disappear and not doing anything substantial with the precursors in the games would be disappointing. And power levels will always change, humanity shouldn't have won the flood in the first place.

Random17

I definitely agree, but I just don't want the Flood to just disappear and not doing anything substantial with the precursors in the games would be disappointing. And power levels will always change, humanity shouldn't have won the flood in the first place.

The only thing I actually liked about Halo 3's ending in extreme hindsight is the fact that the defeat of the Covenant and the Flood did not occur due to a Deus Ex Machina, but basically luck. It was like a game of Poker and the Flood bought the bluff. The Great Schism and Installation 04b were the two primary mechanisms and both were well established throughout Halo 2 and Halo 3.

In fact, Halo 4 is no different. A large variety of things needed to happen for the MC to win. He is lucky.

Each death in the game is a parallel universe... and in most universes the MC loses.

Ein Bear

I'm liking the sound of this. Humanity and the Elites uniting against an extra-galactic Flood invasion would be a really cool direction to go in.

tootsi666

The only thing I actually liked about Halo 3's ending in extreme hindsight is the fact that the defeat of the Covenant and the Flood did not occur due to a Deus Ex Machina, but basically luck. It was like a game of Poker and the Flood bought the bluff.

In fact, Halo 4 is no different. A large variety of things needed to happen for the MC to win. He is lucky.

Each death in the game is a parallel universe... and in most universes the MC loses.
Well, I died a lot during my legendary playthrough.
I'm liking the sound of this. Humanity and the Elites uniting against an extra-galactic Flood invasion would be a really cool direction to go in.
In the long term it could be better to just leave precursors to be something we just wouldn't understand. Creating galaxies, solar systems, species, making stuff from energy of the universe. Precursors are gods od the halo universe and maybe they should stay that way.

The Vidoc is incredible. I've watched all of the vidocs for h3 and reach and this one easily is the best. I'm so excited to play MCC great job 343.

ElRenoRaven

I for one can't wait till the flood come back into play. I loved the flood and I loved that part of the story. So I do hope we do see them come back someday for sure.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think the shininess of the armours also points to a theory i have had. With small arena maps confirmed, i think halo 5 mp takes places in a new environments - future sports! Where people watch spartsn fight for fun, but on holodecks like star trek!

With a en elite designing the armours, that must mean the elites are part of the sport too. Maybe everyone from Sangyhelios and Earth comes together under the banner of sports and that is halo 5 mp.

Guys, we have iRrefutable proof, how can this not be true?
I would hate this so so so so much. I had the same suspicion when I saw the Halo 5 beta trailer, too, though.

The problem with Halo lore is that people on message boards care about it more than the game developers do. And they come up with better story lines and twists.
I don't really see that as a problem. It happens with every series with any significant following. People speculate and write fan fiction -- most of it is silly and / or trashy, and some of it is really good, and some of it is even better than what the official writers do. It's all part of fandom.

Random17

Just an observation of mine; the amount of views for Halo MCC related content is much smaller than that of Halo 4 on Youtube. The reveal trailer/Nightfall trailer got 2 million views, while Halo 4's E3 footage got 6 million views at the minimum. I've not seen any MCC related advertising in NZ, while I've spotted a couple of Sunsight Overdrive ads.

Interest on NeoGaf for Halo MCC is high but it appears as if the majority of it is coming from the existing fanbase.

Is MS relying on word of mouth here? I don't see the game selling more than 3-4 million copies in the first year, which is disappointing.

Also; Metascores predictions? I'm lowballing it at 85. Remakes tend to get lower scores simply because they are remakes. Other factors like reviewers simply not liking Halo and the 20GB patch may drag it down.

tootsi666

Just an observation of mine; the amount of views for Halo MCC related content is much smaller than that of Halo 4 on Youtube. The reveal trailer/Nightfall trailer got 2 million views, while Halo 4's E3 footage got 6 million views at the minimum. I've not seen any MCC related advertising in NZ, while I've spotted a couple of Sunsight Overdrive ads.

Interest on NeoGaf for Halo MCC is high but it appears as if the majority of it is coming from the existing fanbase.

Is MS relying on word of mouth here? I don't see the game selling more than 3-4 million copies in the first year, which is disappointing.

Also; Metascores predictions? I'm lowballing it at 85. Remakes tend to get lower scores simply because they are remakes. Other factors like reviewers simply not liking Halo and the 20GB patch may drag it down.
It's not a new game and Xbone has sold a lot less than X360 was at 2012.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Why would that be a bad thing?

Could lead to some interesting level design from an aesthetic point of view.
I'm just completely turned off by the idea of giving the fiction a spectator sport twist. I love me some real life esports, but I do not want the fiction to mix with that.

I'm not sure what aesthetic designs you're thinking of, but if it's a stadium style arena, then no thanks. Do not want.

Ein Bear

I'm just completely turned off by the idea of giving the fiction a spectator sport twist. I love me some real life esports, but I do not want the fiction to mix with that.

I'm not sure what aesthetic designs you're thinking of, but if it's a stadium style arena, then no thanks. Do not want.

Halo 5: The Running Man

Steitzer replaced by Richard Dawson. Elite character models removed in favour of Arnie.

jem0208

Well the design in the teaser trailer for instance.

jelly

Does anyone not like the tweak to the multiplayer announcer since Halo 4. Watching the new footage has reminded me they've gone a bit too future sports. He has been passed through the computer a bit often. Nothing could be worse than Destiny though, that voice would stop me playing.

AlStrong

Does anyone not like the tweak to the multiplayer announcer since Halo 4. Watching the new footage has reminded me they've gone a bit too future sports. He has been passed through the computer a bit often. Nothing could be worse than Destiny though, that voice would stop me playing.

I think they ought to have a choice of announcers ala Unreal Tournament 2004 (can't remember UT3). Maybe get Stinkles to do some acting. ;) Or Bonnie & Kiki. :D

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Just finished the documentary.

Damn chills. Can't fucking wait for the 11th.

Q6nP7yr.png

jem0208

I think they ought to have a choice of announcers ala Unreal Tournament 2004 (can't remember UT3). Maybe get Stinkles to do some acting. ;) Or Bonnie & Kiki. :D
I think the obvious choice would be the chief.

Although I think I'd take the Arbiter over the chief any day.

Woorloog

Banned

Changeable voice, like Reach Firefight had (or Dota 2, or UT as you say)?
Johnson announcer would be great.

Daigoro

Just finished watching the Halo 2 anniversary on xbone. So cool.

I cant believe how insanely excited I am for the MCC. This is going to be so fun guys!

jelly

Like Reach Firefight, that was a nice option.

I think Quake had a rather raunchy female alternative, kinda cringe worthy but a few are good.

Ein Bear

Yeah, I don't like the weird computer filter they stick on him in the newer games. He seems more 'shouty' too, I miss that laid-back, kinda smug delivery he used to have instead of yelling everything.

Definitely agree that unlockable announcers would be cool. I enjoyed the Firefight voice options in Reach, and this would be a great way of bringing them back. Johnson would be awesome.

Random17

http://www.twitch.tv/mistermonopoli

Monopoli is playing a Halo 2 SLASO race with Auraxade... estimated time of completion: 10:30 (hours, minutes)

Cairo has a 2:45 hour split :p

Edit: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/the-next-50-achievements

50 more achievements.

Goat Roped: Halo CE: Complete all Halo: CE Legendary campaign missions in under 3 hours.

30 GS

Monopolized: Halo 2: Complete all Halo 2 Legendary campaign missions in under 3 hours.

30 GS

Devastating: Halo 3: Complete all Halo 3 Legendary campaign missions in under 3 hours.

30 GS

You're Joking: Halo 4: Complete all Halo 4 Legendary campaign missions in under 3 hours.

30 GS

Welfare

Edit: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/the-next-50-achievements

50 more achievements.

Goat Roped: Halo CE: Complete all Halo: CE Legendary campaign missions in under 3 hours.

30 GS

Monopolized: Halo 2: Complete all Halo 2 Legendary campaign missions in under 3 hours.

30 GS

Devastating: Halo 3: Complete all Halo 3 Legendary campaign missions in under 3 hours.

30 GS

You're Joking: Halo 4: Complete all Halo 4 Legendary campaign missions in under 3 hours.

30 GS

50 MORE?!

WHAAAA

Them speedrun strats doe.

Woorloog

Banned
Microsoft did advertise that the achievement system would be more flexible for Xbox One back when Xbone was announced, didn't they? It seems the MCC is the first game to use this new system?

http://www.twitch.tv/mistermonopoli

Monopoli is playing a Halo 2 SLASO race with Auraxade... estimated time of completion: 10:30 (hours, minutes)

Cairo has a 2:45 hour split :p

50 more achievements.

30 GS

30 GS

30 GS

30 GS

It's really cool of 343 naming the speed running achieves after the WR runners

singhr1

Kill a 343 employee or someone who has? Dammit this is the worst type of achievement. Could be fast or incredibly slow.

Woorloog

Banned
Counter-Snipe should be easy. An enemy who is zoomed in. Easy. Sure, knowing who is zoomed in isn't easy, but i'd imagine people use zoom often enough.

Top Bottom