• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

blamite

Hey Nowise, in case you haven't seen this yet:

Sounds like scarab/bandana/etc. have a good chance of disabling scoring after all!

Man, Reach's campaign would look awesome in 1080p/60fps without that temporal AA ghosting. I really hope it and ODST make it to Xbox One someday.

Gimped Theater and Armor 'sets' really makes me sad. I can totally understand no theater co-op, or even no SP theater for H4, but removing features like this just goes against the spirit of what the MCC is supposed to represent.

Feels like you will play on a read-only cd game that wont allow you any modification.

I don't get what you're arguing? We're talking about games here, not books. Expecting people who play the games, to read all the books, novels, comics to understand the story is ridiculous.

I'm not going to go into Episode VII of Star Wars and be expected to read the thousands of books in the EU,

I just want to point out mexico is one of the biggest Halo communities out there besides USA, we still dont get spanish novels still and the Halo comics are non existant but you can still find them in specialized stores, not comic stores which is kinda hard to follow the story outside the game and not everyone knows english enough to read the novels in english.

-Ryn

Banned
I just want to point out mexico is one of the biggest Halo communities out there besides USA, we still dont get spanish novels still and the Halo comics are non existant but you can still find them in specialized stores, not comic stores which is kinda hard to follow the story outside the game and not everyone knows english enough to read the novels in english.
Well that sucks. Not even the 343 novels are translated?

Mix

Eh, I really don't think Halo needs wall jumping. I really don't even think it would really work in the sandbox very well.

HTupolev

Because the archetypes of characters are not what made the trilogy's characters so good.
There's not a single answer to how it should be done, but: it worked great in Halo 1. Halo 3's handling of villains was a let-down, but that was because it didn't act well on Halo 2's setup. It's not an intrinsic problems for narratives in its own right.

Del Rio is not an asshole for the sake of being an asshole, though. He's incompetent because he is overprotective of a ship that represented 50% of the UNSC's shipbuilding budget.
I'm fully aware of why Del Rio had potential to become an asshole. But in the end cutscene of Infinity, when everyone is being briefed, he's already growling at people when he says "Mr. Lasky..." in response to the Chief asking about "other installations."

It's understandable that he gets angry once people start to question his authority. But he was putting on a rude showing even before that happens. To the point that even if his later actions make sense, his character feels like a transparent plot-driver rather than a person.

I'll agree with the notion that the romantic angle does not work well. But what you guys ultimately missed is the deliberate irony of their professional relationship.

Master Chief started the Halo trilogy as a dude who followed orders and kicked ass. Cortana, Keyes and even 343 GS had almost total control over his actions as they were the brains behind the brawn. 343 GS's manipulation almost caused him to wipe out life in the galaxy! This is also why the level 343GS was a bit intimidating; nobody is giving you orders. You are on your own.
It's intimidating because you're flying without radar. It's not intimidating because of the lack of orders.

The Chief was always ready to make decisions; it's why he breaks up Cortana and 343GS in the Control Room and takes control of the conversation.

There's stuff that happens regarding the Chief's requirement to take charge (to some extent) when Cortana is unreliable; I'm not sure that any of us "missed" it so much as didn't find it quite as strange as you did, or needed pointing out. It's important to what happens with Halo 4's characters, but I'm not convinced it's very interesting in its own right.

The problem is that narrative structure is hugely important.

Do you understand my perspective now?
Not entirely.

I agree that narrative structure is hugely important. As a die hard Halo 1 fan that's my shtick, as I certainly can't point to plots or characters being complex in and of themselves as reasons that I like my favourite game. Such is life on the Combat Evolved defense force.

The thing is, I see an overarching narrative structure in reach.

-A 3-level intro with some parallels to CE's introductory act, curving upwards into
--a 2-level peak starting with strong build up and culminating in a large crash.
-A "less structured" somber 2-level reprieve.
-The 2-level climactic act, which also has
--a brief epilogue.

Saying "the story was never really there until the end" just doesn't make any sense to me. There's clearly a narrative structure flowing about the whole time.

(Somewhat ditto for Halo 3, although the exact structure is different, and I do agree that its pacing is something lopsided on the front.)

See, here's the thing: you say "narrative structure", but in the cases of Halo's 3 and Reach, the levels you singled out as "having story" are specifically those where plot elements that affect the larger Halo universe are moving. To my eyes, the games have plenty of internal narrative happening outside of those levels. Which is why I'm confused.

CliQ

I don't know if anyone remembers this but when Halo 2 was still being made there were rumors that elites would be able to climb walls or have a grappling hook.

It's been a long time and it's hard to remember but I think that was the rumor.

Well that sucks. Not even the 343 novels are translated?

Dont think so, I even tried in Amazon, english only

Eh, I really don't think Halo needs wall jumping. I really don't even think it would really work in the sandbox very well.

What about jumping on edges or obstacles?

They better not use the DVR bullshit excuse for Halo 5 if theater is removed.

Well, COD already removed theather mode because of the same thing.

CliQ

I've always compared Halo to paintball for some reason. I've always felt Halo was more of a stay behind cover type of game. Not sure if cover jumping or wall running fits. I don't know maybe that's just me.

-Ryn

Banned
I think that it'd be a really cool addition to Halo but I can understand what you mean. I doubt we will be getting it but I've always loved the idea of Halo having more movement options. Parkour is all about map traversal and whatnot so I figure it'd work with Halo.

I don't know if anyone remembers this but when Halo 2 was still being made there were rumors that elites would be able to climb walls or have a grappling hook.

It's been a long time and it's hard to remember but I think that was the rumor.
Grappling hooks are the way of the future. Elites don't really need them though because of their super legs.

Geez that blows. Sorry to hear such a big portion of the fans can't experience more of the universe.
Ledge grabbing would be an interesting implement in Halo though I don't know how it'd work.

Inb4ujustgrabtheledgeduh

I like the Xbone.

UI is a bit slow, but the features are getting better with each monthly update.

Smartglass is also nice.

How the hell did I turn into an Xbox apologist?
ha

Even if so, their are still 30 other party skulls being added, a lot which we don't even know yet. The ones we do, half provide an advantage. Bandana gives Infinite ammo. Another one makes all enemies that die, drop a live plasma grenade. Another skull replaces Masterchiefs flashlight with Active Camo. Another gives 100% damage boost if your teammate dies. I honestly won't be surprised if their is a skull that gives you overshields, or makes you invincible when we get the full list out.

They need to disable achievements and speedruns when using nonscoring skulls, if they know whats right for the game.
QQ more. "people will get achievements and play the campaign the way I want them to"
Should we blame Dinkleberg?
Dinkleberg has 3 syllables... Ragnarok has 3 syllables. can i be HaloGAF's dinkleberg?
Here's hoping they're for real.
Don't be hating on wall running and double jumps now.
as a fan of Brink, wall running would be interesting.
Hey Nowise, in case you haven't seen this yet:

Sounds like scarab/bandana/etc. have a good chance of disabling scoring after all!

they shouldnt disable achievements. because cheesing the campaign doesnt hurt those that want to learn the strats.

Booshka

Yall, is this monitor is great for Xbone and PC, correct? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236100

Is there anything slightly cheaper than this to save 20 bucks or should I just get this?

I'm also waiting until Black Friday to see what deals they'll have

I would look for something with 2ms or lower response time myself, and the refresh rate is gonna hover around 60, which is fine for consoles, but if you want to go over 60 FPS on PC, then your monitor will be a limiting factor.

I personally am fine with 60hz monitors, but 5ms has a slight, but noticeable input delay for me compared to 2ms and lower, which is not noticeable.

It's a pretty good deal overall though.

Japarican

Banned
I would look for something with 2ms or lower response time myself, and the refresh rate is gonna hover around 60, which is fine for consoles, but if you want to go over 60 FPS on PC, then your monitor will be a limiting factor.

I personally am fine with 60hz monitors, but 5ms has a slight, but noticeable input delay for me compared to 2ms and lower, which is not noticeable.

It's a pretty good deal overall though.

Yeah, someone asked in a reddit thread and they linked him a 1ms, but I didn't wanna pay $50 more. Someone was talking about the tiny ms difference as well, saying there's a tiny difference so I opted for the lower version. Thanks for the info I'll wait for BF and see what's up

HTupolev

You're confusing input lag with LCD response time.

LCD response time refers to the amount of time it takes for elements on the screen to make colour/luminance transitions. It's traditionally a more useful metric for estimating LCD motion blurring than input lag, although even in that capacity, sample-and-hold can be a much bigger issue than response time these days.

Strictly speaking, response time does sort of contribute to input lag, but it's a minor factor; 3ms is a pretty small difference.

Overall input lag is something that generally isn't published by display manufacturers, although some people have measured various displays.

Random17

There's not a single answer to how it should be done, but: it worked great in Halo 1. Halo 3's handling of villains was a let-down, but that was because it didn't act well on Halo 2's setup. It's not an intrinsic problems for narratives in its own right.
Character assassinations absolutely damage the overall narrative. I don't agree with you here at all.

I'm fully aware of why Del Rio had potential to become an asshole. But in the end cutscene of Infinity, when everyone is being briefed, he's already growling at people when he says "Mr. Lasky..." in response to the Chief asking about "other installations."

It's understandable that he gets angry once people start to question his authority. But he was putting on a rude showing even before that happens. To the point that even if his later actions make sense, his character feels like a transparent plot-driver rather than a person.

It's intimidating because you're flying without radar. It's not intimidating because of the lack of orders.

The Chief was always ready to make decisions; it's why he breaks up Cortana and 343GS in the Control Room and takes control of the conversation.
You missed my point. Cortana always guided Chief; the level 343GS was scarier because Cortana was not giving us advice. It contributes to the overall effect and it is actually quite significant. It is not a coincidence that 343GS is the only level without Cortana.

There's stuff that happens regarding the Chief's requirement to take charge (to some extent) when Cortana is unreliable; I'm not sure that any of us "missed" it so much as didn't find it quite as strange as you did, or needed pointing out. It's important to what happens with Halo 4's characters, but I'm not convinced it's very interesting in its own right.
What I am talking about is a progression or change in their relationship in the non-romantic way that was developing throughout the trilogy with Chief gradually becoming more independent. He was not taking charge in the argument in the control, he was acting as the mediator. Trying to shut down the argument. Ultimately it was clear that he is very easily swayed by those who are more informed or superior to him.

Not entirely.

I agree that narrative structure is hugely important. As a die hard Halo 1 fan that's my shtick, as I certainly can't point to plots or characters being complex in and of themselves as reasons that I like my favourite game. Such is life on the Combat Evolved defense force.

The thing is, I see an overarching narrative structure in reach.

-A 3-level intro with some parallels to CE's introductory act, curving upwards into
--a 2-level peak starting with strong build up and culminating in a large crash.
-A "less structured" somber 2-level reprieve.
-The 2-level climactic act, which also has
--a brief epilogue.
Saying "the story was never really there until the end" just doesn't make any sense to me. There's clearly a narrative structure flowing about the whole time.

(Somewhat ditto for Halo 3, although the exact structure is different, and I do agree that its pacing is something lopsided on the front.)

See, here's the thing: you say "narrative structure", but in the cases of Halo's 3 and Reach, the levels you singled out as "having story" are specifically those where plot elements that affect the larger Halo universe are moving. To my eyes, the games have plenty of internal narrative happening outside of those levels. Which is why I'm confused.
CE gets away with it because the levels were interesting and fun in their own right. There were absolutely important narrative related points because we travel through the same environments more than once and the change is also a good example of show rather than tell.

Halo 3 did not have that saving grace.

Ultimately I still see Halo 2 as the best because it managed to spread out its narrative content throughout the game while maintaining my interest from a gameplay perspective. Important plot points being concentrated at the end of a game is not the greatest way to tell the story in my opinion if something else does not compensate for it. To an extent even Halo 4 is relatively guilty of this as the Composer is introduced in the 2nd to last mission, albeit being alluded to earlier in the game.

TLDR: Spreading the story throughout the game is better than having a mission pack with a climatic act. Pulling story threads together at the end is more satisfying than introducing and then concluding that plot point in a relatively shorter period of time.

Halo 2:

-Introductory Cutscene/Mission sets the mood for both story arcs.
-First environment setups the primary plot point of Regret and the significance of New Mombasa.
-First Arbiter environment introduces stealth gameplay and the beginnings of the Great Schism.
-Second MC setup progresses the plot and has fantastic missions like Delta Halo to go with it.
-Second Arbiter progresses the plot and introduces the Great Schism.
-Turning Point is 2/3 into the game as opposed to halfway as we saw in Halo CE and Halo 3
-Final act is just brilliant as the plot threads beforehand are progressed even more. Whatever is left becomes Halo 3.

I think I've reached the point where I can agree to disagree with you.

-Ryn

Banned
Stoked for the MCC and what my friends over at 343 are accomplishing!

Recreated the new launch trailer - shot for shot, fade for fade right here - Fun watch for those that want to see how far visuals have come along in our industry in the last 10 years!
Nice job on that dude. It's a really awesome comparison to see. Going over it you can see so much cool stuff that's been worked in (the weird stuff is easier to spot as well).

I think my main issue with Cortana is that she looks like she is wearing a suit now as opposed to being made of data. I think you can even see what looks like creases in it on her.

Miranda also looks... older. Just doesn't really look right.

Random17

I think my main issue with Cortana is that she looks like she is wearing a suit now as opposed to being made of data. I think you can even see what looks like creases in it on her.
Well, the data streaks on her still exist, so this isn't really that big of an impression, is it?

Miranda also looks... older. Just doesn't really look right.

This is probably the best impression of Miranda so far. She was far too young in Halo 3. She's supposed to be in her 30s, and I get the impression that she is very tired of war, so to speak.

I think it's the eyes actually, in some cutscenes they look a bit unnatural.

-Ryn

Banned
Well, the data streaks on her still exist, so this isn't really that big of an impression, is it?

This is probably the best impression of Miranda so far. She was far too young in Halo 3. She's supposed to be in her 30s, and I get the impression that she is very tired of war, so to speak.

The data lines are still there sure but it's the subtleties that have been altered too far.
They aren't as pronounced anymore. As a matter of fact they've been reduced to only being on her forearms and shoulders as opposed to most of her body. It just kind of takes away from the design I guess. I think the data worked better as a prominent feature as opposed to a cool little detail.

In regards to Miranda, the eyes are certainly weird but from her face to even her throat (when I say her throat I mean in it looks to aged if that makes sense) just don't fit the voice or character. And I'm not saying that because I am used to a certain image either. I barely remembered what Halo 2 Miranda looked like or even Halo 3's iteration of her (though that's not to say her old design holds no weight). It just doesn't feel or look right.

Fuchsdh

Miranda Keyes was born February 28, 2525. She's 27 during the events of Halo 2. Somewhere there's a bit of flavor text about how she had a very rapid rise through the ranks, and people groused that being the daughter of Jacob Keyes had something to do with it.

-Ryn

Banned
Miranda Keyes was born February 28, 2525. She's 27 during the events of Halo 2. Somewhere there's a bit of flavor text about how she had a very rapid rise through the ranks, and people groused that being the daughter of Jacob Keyes had something to do with it.
Combine that with the fact that she has probably spent a decent amount of time in cryo and she's probably a tad younger than that biologically.

Random17

Combine that with the fact that she has probably spent a decent amount of time in cryo and she's probably a tad younger than that biologically.

True, but my headcanon is that she didn't age as gracefully as those of the same biological age due to the amount of stress/war she has had to go through. Especially in light of the fact that her mother is Halsey and that she wasn't the greatest fan of her either.

-Ryn

Banned
True, but my headcanon is that she didn't age as gracefully as those of the same biological age due to the amount of stress/war she has had to go through. Especially in light of the fact that her mother is Halsey and that she wasn't the greatest fan of her either.
Well, it's your headcanon. So whatevs and stuff.

My canon however shows inconsistencies. So I'ma just stick with those and deal with it I guess.

HTupolev

Character assassinations absolutely damage the overall narrative. I don't agree with you here at all.
I didn't say it wasn't a problem. I said that Halo 3's issues with trying to carry Halo 2's villain setup into the trilogy finale aren't indicative of simple archetypical characters being problematic in general.

You missed my point. Cortana always guided Chief; the level 343GS was scarier because Cortana was not giving us advice.
The lack of information in its own right, and the lack of a buddy, contribute to scariness. Cortana supposedly being a "superior" in the relationship has little impact here.

What I am talking about is a progression or change in their relationship in the non-romantic way that was developing throughout the trilogy with Chief gradually becoming more independent.
How do you figure he becomes more independent from Cortana in the trilogy? He becomes separated from her for largely strategic reasons (which oddly don't pan out, heh) in Halo 2, and the UNSC forces replace her through most of Halo 3. In the penultimate level of Halo 3, the Chief gets her back, and despite the time she spent getting traumatized by a tentacle monster, the relationship they had through Halo's 1 and 2 drops right back into place, but with perhaps more dependent friendship due to the shared experience of the trilogy.

If anything, the dependence they build on each other through the trilogy is one of the few things that attempts to make Halo 4's separation poignant.

Random17

The lack of information in its own right, and the lack of a "sentient" buddy, contribute to scariness. Cortana supposedly being a "superior" in the relationship has little impact here.
It absolutely does. Cortana always gives advice to the MC. When we are suddenly faced with a new, unknown threat, there is no analysis to comfort us. And yes, being reliant on Cortana implies the MC is inferior to her in terms of combat analysis. Fear of the unknown.

Err, how do you figure he becomes more independent from Cortana in the trilogy? He becomes separated from her for largely strategic reasons (which oddly don't pan out, heh) in Halo 2, and the UNSC forces replace her through most of Halo 3. In the penultimate level of Halo 3, the Chief gets her back, and despite the time she spent getting traumatized by a tentacle monster, the relationship they had through Halo's 1 and 2 drops right back into place, but with perhaps more dependent friendship due to the shared experience of the trilogy.

If anything, the dependence they build on each other through the trilogy is one of the few things that attempts to make Halo 4's separation poignant.
The fact of the matter is that their essentially forced separation was part of the process along with Cortana's rampancy. Even based off of the tone of Cortana at the end of Halo 3, something still felt off. Yes, they are dependent on each other, but Chief coming to save the day was the turning point of their dependence roles switching.

CliQ

Going to try and change directions in the forum. What is everyone's plan for MCC? Are you going straight into MP? Going to start the long run of beating all campaigns? What about forge? I want to know what you plan on doing the first day MCC is live.

For me, I have to play at least one game of Halo: CE online after that maybe Forge. It's just a long standing dream i've had and like a bug to a light I'm drawn to it.

Going to try and change directions in the forum. What is everyone's plan for MCC? Are you going straight into MP? Going to start the long run of beating all campaigns? What about forge? I want to know what you plan on doing the first day MCC is live.

For me, I have to play at least one game of Halo: CE online after that maybe Forge. It's just a long standing dream i've had and like a bug to a light I'm drawn to it.

I'm going straight into the CE campaign while that stupid 20GB patch downloads. Then I'm going into CE multiplayer as soon as it opens up. I'll probably play a combination of that and H2 all night.

Welfare

I got to go into Halo 2 campaign. Gotta.

Then some Halo 2A multi, then I'll go through Halo 1 campaign, play some multi, so on and so on.

After that, I turn into an Achievement Hunter.

Random17

When I get the game in late November, I'll start a Campaign Marathon on Legendary. I'll probably fiddle around with some of the skulls on Halo 2A and then I'll move onto multiplayer.

Most of my time will be spent trying to grab one of the record times for a campaign mission after the achievements have all been unlocked. It's looking like 4 solid weeks of Halo in my free time.

Beat H2A on normal, go into Forge and look at all the new maps, go into MM H2A, then CE, 2, 3, 4....

And at some point, probably during Thanksgiving, I'll get together with some buddies and beat all the Campaigns on Legendary, find all the skulls, etc.

CliQ

So I heard/read somewhere that Coop is going to run on dedicated servers as well. This is pretty exciting news. I was hoping to play Halo 3/4 on legendary with a full team of four. Anyone interested in joining me (probably the first weekend it comes out)? I could do it myself but I feel like going at it with other people makes for better stories!

Downloading the 20 gig patch

Top Bottom