• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Fuchsdh

So Microsoft discounted their Sunset Overdrive bundles like they said, but only to $479. And my 5% coupon doesn't stack. Phooey. Guess I'll get it from Best Buy or (shudder) Gamestop.

It is a shame that there are occassional sub-50 drops and a common mid-50 framerate but the DF article's last 3 paragraphs speak pretty well and fairly to it not being too surprising considering the gargantuan undertaking and package.

Roll on PC version?
I was too busy being wrong about Missy. =/
It was used as the ringing sound for a phonecall.

I'm stoked with the MCC, but I kind of want to see what would have happened if they'd dumped the switching ability and just gone for new assets and cutscenes.
Essentially, remaking all four games instead of remastering them..

klodeckel

Banned
44lf5vH.png

I'm stoked with the MCC, but I kind of want to see what would have happened if they'd dumped the switching ability and just gone for new assets and cutscenes.
Essentially, remaking all four games instead of remastering them..
That would've meant you are buying a $240 collection.

Madness

So they couldn't even lock the game at 60FPS? Damn that was perhaps their biggest talking point. I didn't want to see any stutter or dropped frames.

Xbox One really is a weak console in retrospect. Laughable that they expected $500 for it, and it makes sense they are struggling so much. Forcing Kinect on everyone when they should've been beefing up the CPU and GPU. I'm not one to get caught up in the numbers game, or the debates, but man, the closer this game has come to launch, the more negatives you read and hear about. Just like the theater/file share stuff from yesterday.

Fuchsdh

So they couldn't even lock the game at 60FPS? Damn that was perhaps their biggest talking point. I didn't want to see any stutter or dropped frames.

Xbox One really is a weak console in retrospect. Laughable that they expected $500 for it, and it makes sense they are struggling so much. Forcing Kinect on everyone when they should've been beefing up the CPU and GPU. I'm not one to get caught up in the numbers game, or the debates, but man, the closer this game has come to launch, the more negatives you read and hear about. Just like the theater/file share stuff from yesterday.

I would say you are.

Madness

I would say you are.

Eh, meant more about the stuff like parity, 1080p etc. Of course I'm interested in the game and whether it hits or stays locked at 60FPS. This is the one question I probably asked Frankie in the threads a lot. I wanted to be able to go into split screen, start up Wreckage or something, and just start firing incineration cannons to see if the frame rate drops or the game stutters. Right now it's just the campaign we're hearing about, but what about multi-player. What if BTB matches get even more bogged down? Just disappointing.

Onikaan

I'm not one to get caught up in the numbers game, or the debates, but man, the closer this game has come to launch, the more negatives you read and hear about. Just like the theater/file share stuff from yesterday.

Regardless, the MCC pot of content is brimming. I'm not going to let little things like that ruin my enjoyment. I know for some, it's a bigger deal and it might be harder for them to appreciate the game.

They had me at Halo 2 Online for Xbox Live. As someone said yesterday, everything else is is icing on the cake.

danwarb

The 360 version of CEA couldn't manage a steady 30fps. Ports like this, of 30fps 360 games, will be tough on the CPU I'd imagine. It's not just the xbone.

The only bothersome thing for me is the game-tick related judder in 60fps CE cutscenes.

GrizzNKev

Banned
You're indie as hell right now. Embrace the fight against the establishment, young Grizz.

One of my dream projects is a multi-only Halo-like arena FPS. Like Murder Miners but with less Miners.

We'd build it in an existing engine to keep costs down, and sell it exclusively on Steam where there's a thirst for Halo but no real competition. Marketing would be totally grassroots too, word of mouth starting in the very trustworthy and responsible hands of HaloGAF.

Mix

sigh, I have to work the next 14 hours of the Call of Duty midnight launch. I haven't decided whether I want to pick it up or not.

Nowise10

QQ more. "people will get achievements and play the campaign the way I want them to"

Or how about we quit being arrogant for more the 5 seconds, and look at that challenges like this, keep people on the game, and reward a large percentage of people? Why do you think people like the Vidmaster achievements in Halo 3:ODST so much? Because they were easy and everyone could do them?

No. They actually added in a challenge not everyone could do. If you managed to complete every Vidmaster achievement, you were rewarded, and you felt accomplished because it was actually hard and challenging. The entire point of video games is to make the player felt like they did something. Look at why people hate micro-transactions. It is the same concept of using skulls to unlock achievements that should otherwise be challenging for players.

VinFTW

sigh, I have to work the next 14 hours of the Call of Duty midnight launch. I haven't decided whether I want to pick it up or not.

I'm getting it to make the next week go by like lightning. I'll keep it around for the summer time if I ever feel like playing it again. Sometimes I get a drunk urge to play some CoD if I don't feel like being a super try-hard on Halo.

TheOddOne

One of my dream projects is a multi-only Halo-like arena FPS. Like Murder Miners but with less Miners.

We'd build it in an existing engine to keep costs down, and sell it exclusively on Steam where there's a thirst for Halo but no real competition. Marketing would be totally grassroots too, word of mouth starting in the very trustworthy and responsible hands of HaloGAF.
walter-white-money.gif

matthieuC

I would definitely get it if it wasn't so close to the Halo launch. Too bad as it looks really fun this time around.

Madness

I'd forgo Call of Duty. Let's face it, you're not going to be playing it with MCC out, especially the first month, and then in December, the limited 3 week+ beta starts. I don't know how much time you have to game, but you really want to play a match of CoD over a match of team slayer or BTB with your friends or HGAF? I'll probably give Call of Duty a look, but probably after January.

Or how about we quit being arrogant for more the 5 seconds, and look at that challenges like this, keep people on the game, and reward a large percentage of people? Why do you think people like the Vidmaster achievements in Halo 3:ODST so much? Because they were easy and everyone could do them?

No. They actually added in a challenge not everyone could do. If you managed to complete every Vidmaster achievement, you were rewarded, and you felt accomplished because it was actually hard and challenging. The entire point of video games is to make the player felt like they did something. Look at why people hate micro-transactions. It is the same concept of using skulls to unlock achievements that should otherwise be challenging for players.

I don't know a single person who loves the Vidmaster achievements. All of my decades long friends did them to get Recon and nothing else. I never did them because I didn't care enough to put myself through that.

The question isn't about achievements being hard. The achievement is what it is. The point is, your jimmies are being rustled because someone will be able to use skulls to get the achievements whereas you'd prefer to do them without. There is nothing preventing you from getting the achievements without them. What does it really matter to you if someone else got the achievement in a less than ideal way? What about the hundreds of other times someone has boosted, glitched or cheesed an achievement that you did legitimately?

Edit: Then again, achievements mean something different for us all. So who am I to say how meaningful something is to you or others.

Ghazi

http://www.gravitygauntlet.net/

R4QxT.gif

srsly doe?

I'd forgo Call of Duty. Let's face it, you're not going to be playing it with MCC out, especially the first month, and then in December, the limited 3 week+ beta starts. I don't know how much time you have to game, but you really want to play a match of CoD over a match of team slayer or BTB with your friends or HGAF? I'll probably give Call of Duty a look, but probably after January.

I don't know a single person who loves the Vidmaster achievements. All of my decades long friends did them to get Recon and nothing else. I never did them because I didn't care enough to put myself through that.

The question isn't about achievements being hard. The achievement is what it is. The point is, your jimmies are being rustled because someone will be able to use skulls to get the achievements whereas you'd prefer to do them without. There is nothing preventing you from getting the achievements without them. What does it really matter to you if someone else got the achievement in a less than ideal way? What about the hundreds of other times someone has boosted, glitched or cheesed an achievement that you did legitimately?

Edit: Then again, achievements mean something different for us all. So who am I to say how meaningful something is to you or others.
thats my point, an achievement in the long run of the series means something different to different people and one guy trying to dictate how they are unlocked is pretty shitty. i mean look at destiny, people find different ways to cheese bosses and then others bitch to bungie because "its not how they play the game".

Gazu pls

jem0208

Me and my friends loved doing the Vidmasters. We spent 3 weekends in a row trying to get the one where you finish the final level of Halo 3 in Ghosts in legendary with the iron skull on. That was awesome. Finally getting it was ridiculously rewarding.

First time we fucked up and missed the ghosts, still completed because why not.

Halo 3 is so fucking great...

CliQ

My friends and I had a blast on the halo 3 and ODST vidmaster achievements. Those achievements are more about the funny moments you had with friends than anything else.

Examples of poor achievements are ones with very specific time based or content based requirements. The ones that required DLC to complete become harder as those DLC playlists become consolidated.

Madness

She looks more mature, longer hair and looks like a man to be honest but Hood looks unrecognizable with those details

U3qhipF.png

gT0ugRd.jpg

LOL, she was motion captured by actress Courtney Munch.

Maybe Ubisoft was right
women are just too hard to animate. Joking.

I don't agree though. We've only seen a few clips and so can't judge once the whole cinematic is there. She just reminds me of a younger Dr. Halsey which she is supposed to be, or also reminds me of Ayelet Zurer from Forward Unto Dawn. Remember, she is a Commander in the military. She's not supposed to be wearing feminine dresses or whatever.

jem0208

FWIW, I got a chance to play MCC and Halo 5 two weeks ago. I can't say much because of NDA (since we won a charity auction to play Halo 5, we were told we can talk about general things, but no specifics) - the MP in Halo 5 is my favorite. By a lot. It...currently rewards skilled play and teamwork more than any previous iteration. There are some very new badass tricks.

Also, the game looks sooooooooo good, Feels like a next-gen game.

What do you guys think about this...?

True or no?

Curious about the "new badass tricks"

Plz be thrusters :3

Overdoziz

Banned
FWIW, I got a chance to play a ten year ago game and this new exciting thing two weeks ago. I can't say much because of NDA (since we won a charity auction to play this new exciting thing while 343 employees rubbed our feet and fed us cupcakes, we were told we can talk about general things, but no specifics) - the MP in this new exciting game is my favorite. By a lot. It...currently rewards skilled play and teamwork more than any previous iteration. There are some very new badass tricks.

I don't agree though. We've only seen a few clips and so can't judge once the whole cinematic is there. She just reminds me of a younger Dr. Halsey which she is supposed to be, or also reminds me of Ayelet Zurer from Forward Unto Dawn. Remember, she is a Commander in the military. She's not supposed to be wearing feminine dresses or whatever.

Miranda looked like a teenager in Halo 2 maybe for the cartoonish design in that time so it clash with the new cinematic design for me.

But you are right, lets wait and see all the cinematics

FWIW, I got a chance to play a ten year ago game and this new exciting thing two weeks ago. I can't say much because of NDA (since we won a charity auction to play this new exciting thing while 343 employees rubbed our feet and fed us cupcakes, we were told we can talk about general things, but no specifics) - the MP in this new exciting game is my favorite. By a lot. It...currently rewards skilled play and teamwork more than any previous iteration. There are some very new badass tricks.

Half-Life 3 confirmed.

klodeckel

Banned
The "new badass tricks" are probably the Spartan Abilities.

I don't like the sound of that, but we'll see.

It's already confirmed that there are no different "Spartan Abilities" to chose from. There will be new game mechanics for everyone - like Dual-Wielding.

Based on the Halo 5 Teaser I expect everyone will get a kind of "slide" move - and a ground slam from above.

Akai__

Nah, your spartan now has taunt animations, which include juggling plasma grenades, twerking, and many, many more.

lol

It's already confirmed that there are no different "Spartan Abilities" to chose from. There will be new game mechanics for everyone - like Dual-Wielding.

Based on the Halo 5 Teaser I expect everyone will get a kind of "slide" move - and a ground slam from above.

I know that already...

If it's a shitty Ability that everyone spawns with, it doesn't make it less shitty. But like I said, we'll see.

DesertFox

Just watched the IGN forge video. Can't wait to try it out. Seems like they've made some good improvements to the lego piece formula. Hopefully it doesn't have the lighting bug that Halo 4 did.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think I've ever seen you give such glowing praise! I generally agree with your take on Halo, so that's definitely exciting.

Top Bottom