• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Not necessarily. Titanfall has a great perk that allows players to move just as fast, even sprint, whilst using ADS. Just helps accuracy, that's all.

As I said months ago, ADS could be an interesting way to add another level of balance to different weapons, say more powerful weapons don't have ADS, and less powerful, single-shot ones do. That could be the situation here.

8xfcZgP.gif

klodeckel

Banned
One honest question. What's the difference between this

http://gfycat.com/EverlastingMistyChamois

and this

http://www.halopedia.org/images/d/d4/Halo-2-20070411043848392.jpg

Beside a visual difference arond the scope?

The "ADS" seems to be there -instantly- just like before (click = instant zoom). Also, when not scoping, there still seems to be the same 100% accuracy (you can see that on the not-zoomed marker). It's really just an honest question.

In that Halo 5 snipped it just feels like the usual Halo scope just that it looks different. Or maybe I am missing something.

willow ve

and this

The "ADS" seems to be there -instantly- just like before. Also, when not scoping, there still seems to be the same 100% accuracy. It's really just an honest question.

In that Halo 5 snipped it just feels like the usual Halo scope just that it looks different.
You mean besides the fact that a giant gun obscures the screen?

and this

The "ADS" seems to be there -instantly- just like before. Also, when not scoping, there still seems to be the same 100% accuracy. It's really just an honest question.

It has nothing to do with the visual difference, other than changing for the sake of change. But chances are every weapon will have it, it will slow down your movement speed, you will flinch when you get hit, and won't be accurate when you're not ADSing.

It just blows.

Raide

and this

In that Halo 5 snipped it just feels like the usual Halo scope just that it looks different.

Normally ADS slows down the player movement so the aim down sights is more accurate. This is what players dislike.

Zooming still keeps the same movement speed.

Imagine you had a gun and looked down the sights. You tend to slow down your movement in order to aim more accurately.

JoeDanny

Seriously, 343 has to be brain dead.

There are several, very FUCKING legitimate reasons why this is bad. BAD.

1. Lore. Spartans have weapon sights smart-linked to their visors. They don't need goddam ADS.

2. Gameplay. Players VERY OBVIOUSLY did not like CoD-flavored Halo in REACH AND HALO 4. STOP 343, FUCKING PAY ATTENTION.

3. Feedback. They've been getting feedback on sprint and other Halo-killing features for years. They KNOW, and I KNOW they KNOW that ADS is every single Halo fan's worst fear. Why the fuck would they even think of adding it?

4. Claiming to be "in-touch" with the community. This is literally as out-of-touch as it can get. It's like they've ignored EVERYTHING we've ever said.

5. Arena. Competitive. ADS and Sprint does not compute. AT ALL.

343, please, PLEASE, get your heads out of your asses. And do not even try to pull that "it still feels like Halo" bullshit again. Ever again...

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

and this

The "ADS" seems to be there -instantly- just like before (click = instant zoom). Also, when not scoping, there still seems to be the same 100% accuracy (you can see that on the not-zoomed marker). It's really just an honest question.

In that Halo 5 snipped it just feels like the usual Halo scope just that it looks different. Or maybe I am missing something.

Even if the mechanics aren't that different, it's what ADS represents.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
One honest question. What's the difference between this Beside a visual difference arond the scope?

Lore wise, it's because a Spartan does not need to "raise" his weapon to see down the sights. The sights are linked to his helmet HUD.

Gameplay wise, it depends on whether or not you get kicked out of aiming when hit. If you can stay aiming after being hit then it's completely fucking broken.

jem0208

ADS has two problems. Reduced movement speed, and decreased accuracy in hip fire mode

From the footage it appears hip fire accuracy remains the same.

If movement speed also remains the same when zoomed then this is mechanically the same as scoping.

It becomes a "prettier" zoom/scope.

See above. It must, must, must, kick you out of sighting if shot.

If the mechanic works like it does in other Halo games then no issue, but even then how does this work with descoping? Maybe it's just an animation like you said, but right now it looks like ADS.

I presume it's just the animation for descope. I don't think that would be any worse than descope as normal.

It looks like hip fire's still there. It's really quite odd to see ADS it in Halo, though. I do not like. But you're right. I'll dial it back a bit and reserve judgement until Monday.

Look man, almost 99.9% of any negative discussion you've tried to downplay or whitewash. I get it, you loved Halo 4. But this crap. Sprint and ADS and now you're playing devil's advocate why? What do you get out of it? If it plays no different than other Halos, it is redundant and not needed. Otherwise why would anyone ADS if hip fire is dead accurate?

Like I said, if it's mechanically the same scoping then it's not a big issue IMO. We just don't know yet. If it is, this isn't actually ADS, just as I said a "prettier" zoom.

I think the salt will be entirely justified if it's actual ADS and I'll join in with the salt.

See the thing that's great about Halo zoom is you don't have a giant gun in your view. It's clean.

Look at how wildly he stuns his weapon add he sprints too. Looks comical.

This is the biggest issue with it IMO, and it's a pretty subjective one. Whether or not you like the simplicity of the classic zoom.

The sprint sway does look ridiculous though.

The biggest issue in this footage is actually how shitty that sword looks.

I'm not gonna be pessimistic just yet. As some people said, it could be just zooming in like in all previous Halos, but with a different BR scope. If this ''ADS'' is on the right stick, and movement isn't slowed down while doing it, it really isn't different from zooming in.

It has nothing to do with the visual difference, other than changing for the sake of change. But chances are every weapon will have it, it will slow down your movement speed, you will flinch when you get hit, and won't be accurate when you're not ADSing.

It just blows.
Until we haven't seen kills with and without ADS, we do not know if ADS affects the movement or accuracy. I am keeping my nerves down till tomorrow, but I am worried.

and this

You know, I used to think ADS could be a purely cosmetic thing, behaving the same as Halo scoping.

But after playing Destiny? Nope. No way in hell.

jem0208

It just blows.

We don't know if any of this is the case yet.

You can see from the footage that hip fire accuracy is actually maintained.

klodeckel

Banned
Normally ADS slows down the player movement so the aim down sights is more accurate. This is what players dislike.

Zooming still keeps the same movement speed.

Imagine you had a gun and looked down the sights. You tend to slow down your movement in order to aim more accurately.

I get that.

But who says that this is the case? This is just your assumption here. If I look at this very closely it seems like the player speed remains the same when he zoomed in. Just like it always did in Halo when zoomed in.

I just think that this is not a Call of Duty like ADS. I simply can not imagine that. It will probably just work like in every Halo to date - just that the visuals will be different.

iMax

Some really dumb posts in here. Why can't you judge for yourselves when the game releases or at least until the previews go up next week?

ultimota

I have on multiple occasions defended the design decisions of halo but this is beyond defending .

with the addition of ADS these people have now taken the franchise i love away from me.
EVERY game now has ads it makes them all play the same destiny, cod, battlefield they all play fundamentally the same and now Halo 5 is just another game THIS IS NOT HALO.

this isn't fair what could possibly have compelled them to completely change how the game plays. sprint, armor abilities and loadouts those things mean nothing because the game still at a base level played like halo but ads changes everything.

i can't handle this, i'm freaking 25 years old and i'm sitting here typing this at the brink of tears because THEY HAVE STOLEN HALO FROM ME.

I would like to emphasize that 343i is releasing a game called Halo: The Master Chief Collection. If people do not like Halo 5: Guardians, they will quickly move back to Master Chief Collection and play Halo 2. (Except 343i stops playlist support for the games when Guardians drop which would be a pretty bad move.) What's worse to see your newest game is getting worse player stats than a game which you released a year ago and was only a compilation.

jem0208

I've gone over many times why ADS sucks from a mechanical point of view. I am fully ready to join the salty side should it be implemented.

However that footage proves nothing from a mechanical perspective. It actually shows that hip fire accuracy remains the same. That's one of two issues already sorted.

Onikaan

It just blows.

This is my concern.

Raide

I get that.

But who says that this is the case? If I look at this very closely it seems like the player speed remains the same when he zoomed in.

I just think that this is not a Call of Duty like ADS. I simply can not imagine that. It will probably just work like in every Halo to date - just that the visuals will be different.

Agreed but ADS just has negative connotations from most of the Halo fans because it means Halo gets closer to the evil nemesis that is CoD.

TheXbox

People holding out hope this game wouldn't have sprint are nuts.

That said, if the ADS behaves like it does in CoD, this franchise is fucking dead. Game over. I'm not even mad because these days I just pretend that the numbered Halo games stopped after Halo 3.

This can't be fucking happening, NO ONE WANTS ADS IN HALO, I play Halo becuase it doesn't have ADS.

I don't play Cod/Battlefield/Killzone/Titanfall... becuase the damm ADS

DO THE MATH... I don't even know if I want a freaking xbox one now.

YES IM MAD

VinFTW

I have on multiple occasions defended the design decisions of halo but this is beyond defending .

with the addition of ADS these people have now take the franchise i love away from me.
EVERY game now has ads it makes them all play the same destiny, cod, battlefield they all play fundamentally the same and now Halo 5 is just another game THIS IS NOT HALO.

this isn't fair what couple possibly have compelled them to completely change how the game plays. sprint, armor abilities and loadouts those things mean nothing because the game still at a base level played like halo but ads changes everything.

i can't handle this, i'm freaking 25 years old and i'm sitting here typing this at the brink of tears because THEY HAVE STOLEN HALO FROM ME.

edit: maybe not the tears part but still, wtf.

iMax

with the addition of ADS these people have now take the franchise i love away from me.

this isn't fair what couple possibly have compelled them to completely change how the game plays. sprint, armor abilities and loadouts those things mean nothing because the game still at a base level played like halo but ads changes everything.

iSNRKVSz8YMZy.gif

I would like to emphasize that 343i is releasing a game called Halo: The Master Chief Collection. If people do not like Halo 5: Guardians, they will quickly move back to Master Chief Collection and play Halo 2. (Except 343i stops playlist support for the games when Guardians drop which would be a pretty bad move.) What's worse to see your newest game is getting worse player stats than a game which you released a year ago and was only a compilation.

that doesnt mean that we should be okay with 343 shitting on the identity of Halo.
Hades.gif

and people dont just blame the Pros. its the Multiplayer Design Team and the Franchise Development Director who help with decisions like this.

Top Bottom