• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
You put cool downs on the revive, make it a risk/reward scenario.

Breakout was awful in the beta, and I really can't see it being successful without some major overhauls. Which didnt sound like were happening the last time someone asked about it.

I disliked Breakout as well, just didn't feel like Halo to me, but I think a lot of people liked it.

I can't believe Chief is massacring all of these poor grunts that are using this MRI machine.

Hey, look, helmeted grunts, all is right with the world.

Breakout was awful in the beta, and I really can't see it being successful without some major overhauls. Which didnt sound like were happening the last time someone asked about it.

Honestly, I think just getting rid of the BR from Breakout would do a lot of good. Force people to get in close, that's when it got interesting; having two people taking potshots at everything that moved from opposite ends of the map just discouraged movement.

Ramirez

Hey, look, helmeted grunts, all is right with the world.

Honestly, I think just getting rid of the BR from Breakout would do a lot of good. Force people to get in close, that's when it got interesting; having two people taking potshots at everything that moved from opposite ends of the map just discouraged movement.

Interesting? The autos were hands down the worst part of Breakout for me, lol.

An elimination game type should reward precision over everything. Nothing fun about being killed by a sprayer.

Interesting? The autos were hands down the worst part of Breakout for me, lol.

An elimination game type should reward precision over everything. Nothing fun about being killed by a sprayer.

So make it all pistols, or all pistols on start with 1-2 SMGs in the middle. Personally, I generally felt like the SMGs worked okay; even with autos, H5 had rock solid gunfights at close range thanks to the thrusters.

jem0208

I quite enjoyed Breakout, really nice change of pace from standard arena. It definitely needed a few tweaks though.

I think making it pistol only starts would be pretty good. The pistol is skillful but also doesn't have enough range to cause a match to devolve into a game of long range pot shots. Having BR starts would be terrible with Breakout, having BRs on the map at all was pretty bad. I think placing SMGs on the map as pickups would work reasonably well.

Josh has also talked a few times about adding an objective. That would definitely help a lot with the stalemates which occassionally happened.

I don't think reviving would be good at all though. It seems very much counter to entire basis of Breakout. It's elimination, when you're dead you're out, make a single mistake and there's no second chances. I think with revives a lot of the pressure and intensity of Breakout would be lost. The best part of Breakout was winning coming back from being 3 guys down. Revives would ruin that because the objective would turn from carefully taking the enemy team down one by one to quickly finding a teammate to revive as quick as possible.

CliQ

You cleary haven't played trials of Osiris.

It adds a layer of complexity, an opportunity for big plays and strats

Hey I'm all for it if it works. I was just voicing concerns. My initial reaction was "wow that sounds amazing" but then I took step back and thought about how it could be abused. I'm down though if it works.

Ramirez

If you were able to kill a team 4v1, that team was just awful. The revive mechanic is borderline necessary due to how impossible the odds are stacked against you 4-3-2v1 in this particular sandbox. Take away the BR and no one would be able to fight back when outnumbered.

I just don't think the Halo sandbox suits the game type at all at the end of the day. Oh well, don't have to play it thankfully.

If you were able to kill a team 4v1, that team was just awful. The revive mechanic is borderline necessary due to how impossible the odds are stacked against you 4-3-2v1 in this particular sandbox. Take away the BR and no one would be able to fight back when outnumbered.

I just don't think the Halo sandbox suits the game type at all at the end of the day. Oh well, don't have to play it thankfully.

If you are good at Halo you could win 4v1s in Halo CE.

NOKYARD

Nice. I still don't know how we were shown Beaver Creek in a reveal of Forge for H2A only to not have it ship. I mean they literally created it, just to show you can create it and then it was absent from the Awash Forge map. Would've saved Xsjados a lot of time.
Take a closer look at the IGN Forge reveal. 11:58 The area is a couple dozen forge pieces positioned to resemble Beaver Creek.

Xsjados's remake is one of the most faithful forge reproductions of a dev map i have ever seen.

nillapuddin

bZ3lWTt.jpg

"21"

Edit: Still #teamslrp, just cautiously optimistic about 20 maps. Wondering what the distribution will be between Breakout/8v8/4v4

JDHarbs

Take a closer look at the IGN Forge reveal. 11:58 The area is a couple dozen forge pieces positioned to resemble Beaver Creek.

Xsjados's remake is one of the most faithful forge reproductions of a dev map i have ever seen.
The Lockout remake from Reach's Forge reveal looked like it was done the same way as well.

Haruko

They were adding an objective to it last I heard. Was in one of Josh's big posts on Beyond IIRC

EDIT:
NVM, it was in the last OT after we talked about his Beyond posts:

Overall feedback was very positive but there is a clear split between people who like it and people who absolutely LOVE IT.

Since beta the team has been experimenting with adding an objective (one flag). This was something that came up in beta feedback from the community and in suggestions from pros prior to the beta. It gives the mode more depth by providing two different ways to win. Push the flag or eliminate the opposing team. It also addresses the reliance on camping/stalling that we observed in some of the matches in beta w/ players at higher levels of skill.

It's unclear whether or not this new version will ship, but it's looking promising so far.

Madness

Hmmm, you're right. It seems it was just to give the impression of you can make Beaver Creek if you wanted to, rather than actually have done so. You'd think they'd have added proper fanmade or even dev made forge creations into H2A already. I think with the new update, I could just search Xsjados and download his map to my xbox through the game itself right?

NOKYARD

Hmmm, you're right. It seems it was just to give the impression of you can make Beaver Creek if you wanted to, rather than actually have done so. You'd think they'd have added proper fanmade or even dev made forge creations into H2A already. I think with the new update, I could just search Xsjados and download his map to my xbox through the game itself right?
Right.

Grab everything else in his file share while you're at it. You will not be disappointed.

UKUMI0

Yep you can, decided to look and it was right there.

Right.

Grab everything else in his file share while you're at it. You will not be disappointed.

I didn't find anything else there, just this one map.

Daria

I posted this in the stupid questions thread but got nothing so I'll try here.

do I XBLG to play custom games and 4v4/2v2 in Halo 3 or can is my silver good enough? Or else I'm stuck with the campaign of H3

FyreWulff

I posted this in the stupid questions thread but got nothing so I'll try here.

do I XBLG to play custom games and 4v4/2v2 in Halo 3 or can is my silver good enough? Or else I'm stuck with the campaign of H3

Need Gold to do anything online in Halo 3

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just had a really great match on Monolith. My team won by one point after being down the whole match. Halo is so good when it's good.

RowdyReverb

I still hold the opinion that Breakout could be better served by having some super weird maps since it's running in Tron. I want to see floating and moving terrain and some unique environmental hazards like spikes springing out from the floor if a target is shot. Or if bits of the floor temporarily fell away in response to grenade explosions so routes can be cut off. Maybe some fluctuating gravity, or gravity that shifts as the match goes on. I just want it to be weird and unique from the other game types available.

Kibbles

I hope the E3 Campaign Demo is from something bigger than the corridor screens we've been getting that look straight from Halo 4's first mission.

CliQ

***DISCLAMER*** I just wanted to get this off my chest late at night. This does not cover everything, only what I think mattered most.

The beta excited for a lot of reasons.

1. I'm not a big fan of small slayer based competitive combat but I still had a lot of fun.

2. Spartan abilities actually made me feel like a spartan. (Including sprint)

3. Breakout did feel fill a void when I wanted something different.

4. I didn't experience any lag or network issue when I was in a game. (Searching for match did bug out but hey beta is beta)

5. I didn't play campaign or any gametypes I love to play (CTF, BTB, Heavys) and still had a good time with just the basics.

6. Ground Pound was a game changer and fast paced. (But if I wanted to I could use it to slow the game down)

All of the above made me want to play more H5 and I'm sure what we got was just a taste of everything.

7. Most of all what really made me love the beta (and the game as a whole) was that I could play by myself or with friends and have a great time and that's what makes me hyped about H5 the most.

8. 7

A negative...

The UI (while it was simple which is normally good) should be more like Halo Reach. I would consider that the ultimate Halo UI. It just worked for console/controller navigation. Hopefully the H5 beta UI was placeholder and will be drastically different come launch. Horizontal tiles isnt fun.

jem0208

The barrel underside area, extended trigger guard and grip area, and wider looking scope make it seem like an entirely separate gun.

SAW or SMG maybe? Former is confirmed in I'm pretty sure.

Moa posted a comparison image on Beyond which basically confirms it's a DMR. You can also see in the top right one of Osiris holding a DMR which also has a shorter barrel.

Pretty sure it's just the artist taking some liberties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom