• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
First pic looks like my ignore list. Had to view post to even see the OT. This thread is already off to a great start. let's talk about how bad halo is going to be when microsoft makes 343 use the kinect.

Well, they didn't force Turn 10 to use Kinect much in Forza Motorsport 5, and it doesn't seem like they're forcing Respawn to use Kinect in Titan Fall, and they didn't force Kinect on Halo 4 (although it was used in Anniversary), so I say there's some hope. It'll probably just be some optional voice commands.

First pic looks like my ignore list. Had to view post to even see the OT. This thread is already off to a great start. let's talk about how bad halo is going to be when microsoft makes 343 use the kinect.

iyryxabP4Pt7J.gif

I reckon campaign voice squad commands for friends or AI could be useful. Kinect could be great for Project Spark type stuff e.g. voice or motion capture. I wonder how the Sports Rivals player scanning stuff is working out? It could potentially be a Spartan stance or something as well.

As for Kinect and multiplayer I'm not sure it would fit, 343i/MS would have to come up with and quality test little things like calling for team help and auto-nav points/icons for team mates or friends etc.

Fotos

I really doubt they will do that...

So I'm going through the survey, and while I'm not as hardcore into competitive multiplayer as most of you guys (I'm mostly a story/lore guy who plays multi for fun), I thought it would be nice to get my input in there.

There needs to be some explanations for some of these.

Do you want player toggles for matchmaking (e.g. BF3 on PC) - What does that even mean? I never played BF3 on PC. How am I supposed to know what that is? There should be a better explanation for that.

And how am I supposed to remember the minor differences of bullet magnetism between games or the different movement speeds? I haven't played competitive Halo 2 in years, even though my memories of it are fondest. I'm voting Halo 4 for movement simply because it has sprint. Is bullet magnetism aim assist? Hasn't that been even between all of the games? Outside of the ridiculous Halo 4 covenant sniper rifle.

It's a cool survey and I plan on finishing it but dang. Simplify it a bit next time please.

So I'm going through the survey, and while I'm not as hardcore into competitive multiplayer as most of you guys (I'm mostly a story/lore guy who plays multi for fun), I thought it would be nice to get my input in there.

Do you want player toggles for matchmaking (e.g. BF3 on PC) - What does that even mean? I never played BF3 on PC. How am I supposed to know what that is? There should be a better explanation for that.

And how am I supposed to remember the minor differences of bullet magnetism between games or the different movement speeds? I haven't played competitive Halo 2 in years, even though my memories of it are fondest. I'm voting Halo 4 for movement simply because it has sprint. Is bullet magnetism aim assist? Hasn't that been even between all of the games? Outside of the ridiculous Halo 4 covenant sniper rifle.

It's a cool survey and I plan on finishing it but dang. Simplify it a bit next time please.

I think BF3 (and BF4) on consoles is a better use for that. It has the server browser (with all the filters of course) as well as quick matching by gametypes, which is more in line with how matchmaking normally works.

Booshka

Casul

All good points mate, I ran tight on time. Some work projects and family stuffs.

1. I tried to not cater to any one audience and allow campaign, multiplayer, solo randoms, team buddies, hardcore competitives and all that to gain a voice in the larger Halo framework. Glad to see your reply about being more story driven. I'm aiming to provide a showcase of ALL Halo and ALL Halo gamers, whatever they're into. I don't think we've really seen this sort of survey before and I hope it can get the participation/results to deliver something meaningful to us and 343i.

2. The toggles are like this, just imagine it for Halo maps, settings etc:
battlelog2.jpg
When I have time I'll add a Halo mock-up to the OT instead of this one for now.

3. Regarding Bullet Magnetism your vote is just that, if you remember a certain title having great feelings to your gunshots/aim then go with that. There are other players who mull over such specifics in great detail/recollection. I think this link (snippet pasted below) explains it well and I should probably expand that section:

Magnetism: defines and outlines how far a bullet will "bend" in order to hit an enemy. Bullets and projectiles do not necessarily travel in a straight path; they will curve very slightly in order to hit a target. Different projectiles will experience different curvatures.

Snapping: reorients the gun barrels toward enemies whenever a player's reticle are in proximity to their target.

Acceleration: makes it so that when the player pegs their aiming stick in one direction the player's reticle will start moving slowly in that direction then pick up speed.

Friction: slows the player's turn rate as soon as their reticule passes over an enemy. What it does is that it slows the player's top speed, and then dramatically decrease the rate at which the crosshair will slow down when the player release the stick.

In general if any casual or competitive members have questions or details to alter/add to the survey early on like now would be the right time. Feel free to contribute and I'll open this up to as many communities as I can after we have our own HaloGAF initial version (like the streaming official thread).

heckfu

Banned
I feel bad Ozzy is getting shit for the title. It was an HGS collab effort and my suggestion.

Carry on.

If we don't rate some maps or campaign missions in the survey, does it count as a 0 star rate ?

No it will be excluded from the data, only opt in answers for what you choose to provide. Anything left blank is simply not counted.

Currently we have 34 entries.

I feel bad Ozzy is getting shit for the title. It was an HGS collab effort and my suggestion.
Carry on.

No biggie, it wasn't my best effort due time anyhow. The survey is good though, we should all shape that and contribute for this OT. Once it's running smooth here we go large in all the other communities. Let us get feedback now while there is a good 9-12 months for the next Halo title. Realistically one would anticipate November again for the next major halo title, so two months back and we have September for going gold and they're not going to do changes late in the game. I would personally guess noses to the grindstone early next year and crunch time mid through late next year. We want to put forward anything we propose now.

Hopefully I can pester as many communities as I can with this to produce a here's what fans want, here the specifics of what they like based on the full Halo history and make it simple metrics with real data to just hand them as a singular dataset and community voice.

Madness

I answered the survey. The only problem is, 343 isn't community driven, no matter how they try to portray that it is. It is corporate run and they get the final word. If we all write we don't want Spartan Ops, we want ODST or Reach Firefight, but word comes down that they want the episodic Spartan Ops to return because they can make more money with DLC it will.

343 knows what the fans want, they get it tweeted at them, emailed to them, videos made, forum posts created etc.

I certainly don't envy the position they are in. Especially guys like Frankie who has to not only appease fans disappointed with halo 4, while balancing what MS wants from the studio or the next game, try to capture more BF/CoD/Destiny fans.

Havok

Survey needs a free-text comments box, some of those questions require answers that would benefit from explanation. Doesn't work for an infographic, I guess.

Also, as a side note: asking people to rate the ridiculously forgettable Spartan Ops "maps" and Spartan Assault missions is a pretty pointless endeavor - did you like such gems as Operation A or did you prefer Operation C? Oh, no, I actually really liked Operation ? which is an actual name for a set of missions in a video game for some reason. You know, because those are things you remember.
Well can't speak for Spartan Assault but the Spartan Ops "maps" are asking about each full episode, not the individual locations. The survey wording could have been clearer.
I thought that might be the case, but I also seem to remember that the locations have names as well (like Apex, as an example), so I wasn't 100% sure. Adding "Episode 1, Episode 2" to them would help with that, but I still think it's a really flawed question given how wildly the quality varies from mission to mission. Look at Episode 1 as an example, which starts out strong with Land Grab, but that episode also contains The Challenge, which is utter garbage, perhaps the worst series of encounters in the entire series. How do you rate that episode? There's no granularity.

Fuchsdh

Survey needs a free-text comments box, some of those questions require answers that would benefit from explanation. Doesn't work for an infographic, I guess.

Also, as a side note: asking people to rate the ridiculously forgettable Spartan Ops "maps" and Spartan Assault missions is a pretty pointless endeavor - did you like such gems as Operation A or did you prefer Operation C? Oh, no, I actually really liked Operation ? which is an actual name for a set of missions in a video game for some reason. You know, because those are things you remember.

Well can't speak for Spartan Assault but the Spartan Ops "maps" are asking about each full episode, not the individual locations. The survey wording could have been clearer.

So going through that survey I realized how terribly unhelpful the campaign titles have become in the last few games.

Halo CE had campaign titles like: Pillar of Autumn, Assault on the Control Room, Truth and Reconciliation, and so on. Read those titles and you know exactly which mission they were because not only are they highly descriptive but they are all set in vastly different environments. Very straightforward naming system that while not very fancy got the job done.

Halo 2 had Metropolis, Regret, Delta Halo, Quarantine Zone, and others that you mostly know what you were doing in that mission and you can recall it pretty easily just reading the title. But they were starting to get cute with the titles.

Halo 3 started to get a bit too simple in unproductive ways. Sierra 117? I mean, if I didn't play through it 30 times I probably wouldn't remember what that was in relation to the title. The Ark and the Covenant are so similar to this day, after completing them both about 60 times, I get confused which is which.

Halo Reach? Tip of the Spear? Exodus? Nightfall? How are these descriptive of their missions at all? I mean, I guess I could figure it out but dang.

Halo 4 has horrible campaign level titles and it's really not a debate IMO. Requiem? Infinity? Shutdown? What the hell do those even mean? Come on.

Even small and simple things like having good campaign level titles can create entirely different moods when it comes to memories about a game. Even if I had an absolute blast playing through the latter levels of Halo 3, if I can't distinguish which level is which by looking back at titles, than it's just lame.

Just my $.02

Fuchsdh

So going through that survey I realized how terribly unhelpful the campaign titles have become in the last few games.

Halo CE had campaign titles like: Pillar of Autumn, Assault on the Control Room, Truth and Reconciliation, and so on. Read those titles and you know exactly which mission they were because not only are they highly descriptive but they are all set in vastly different environments. Very straightforward naming system that while not very fancy got the job done.

Halo 2 had Metropolis, Regret, Delta Halo, Quarantine Zone, and others that you mostly know what you were doing in that mission and you can recall it pretty easily just reading the title. But they were starting to get cute with the titles.

Halo 3 started to get a bit too simple in unproductive ways. Sierra 117? I mean, if I didn't play through it 30 times I probably wouldn't remember what that was in relation to the title. The Ark and the Covenant are so similar to this day, after completing them both about 60 times, I get confused which is which.

Halo Reach? Tip of the Spear? Exodus? Nightfall? How are these descriptive of their missions at all? I mean, I guess I could figure it out but dang.

Halo 4 has horrible campaign level titles and it's really not a debate IMO. Requiem? Infinity? Shutdown? What the hell do those even mean? Come on.

Even small and simple things like having good campaign level titles can create entirely different moods when it comes to memories about a game. Even if I had an absolute blast playing through the latter levels of Halo 3, if I can't distinguish which level is which by looking back at titles, than it's just lame.

Just my $.02

Well I don't think it's that bad. Halo 3 has Tsavo Highway, the Ark, Crow's Nest, etc.

In general, the missions have either been a location (Pillar of Autumn) or a character (Keyes, Regret, 343GS, Arbiter, Oracle).

Halo 4 generally follows that but it also skews to non-proper nouns and verbs. Requiem, Forerunner (I guess), Composer, Infinity and Dawn all work but Midnight, Shutdown, Reclaimer, etc don't.

I think the larger issue is reticence to have longer names. One-word titles sound punchy but can lead to more confusion.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it's kind of sad to think that Reclaimer was the level where the gameplay "peaked" in 4's campaign in the sense that it tries giving you access to just about everything in the sandbox compared to, say, The Covenant out of 3 or ODST's NMPD HQ (the Air Traffic Control segment). It's even got the longest ambient interlude in the game - that portion where you're running around before the Librarian teaches how to Armor Lock is pretty much the biggest lull in combat minus the segment where you get your bearings in Requiem.

That being said, Halo 4's far from the only title to do that (Tip of the Spear in Reach, for example) but I hope they balance things out a little bit more in the future. You know the only game in the franchise that has you making use of your entire arsenal (and then some) in the final mission? Halo Wars. Well, ODST too, but the highway run kind of subdues it a bit.

IHaveIce

Banned
Can we please get a halo game that is somehow like this:

Precision weapon: A BR that behaves like the CE Magnum, the BR skin is just for people that can't accept a pistol as utility weapon. The zoom is also like the CE magnum to encourage mapflow and not pinging from verywhere.

The Carbine- a super fast and wide range precision weapon that is pretty weak compared to the BR

Automatics:
An AR skinned version of ODSTs SMG with scoping.

Plasma rifle with the old stun ability.

Classic powerweapons plus the grenade launche rof Reach.

Movement speed is fast, you also can dash (like thruster ability) instead of sprint. Though a dash damages your shield (like in murder miners)

Powerups on map, no armor abilities.
Strafe is back in an important manner. Damage of beatdowns changed, no 2 hit kill.

Options for almost everything in custom games, comparable to options like only modders have now.
Button layout changeable, able to turning off the announcer, white text toggleable.

A dream :(

Hey, nice OT Ozzy! for a Moment I tought those covers were links for download stuff

Oh Christ, I am on the top posters wall

In hindsight, does anyone not really mind the concept of redesigning Chief's armor? I'm not particularly attached to his first two suits, per se, but the Halo 4 revision isn't doing him any favors. The helmet's neat, at least.

Just as long as you can still tell it's Chief and it's a valid revision (and not just 343's interpretation of an old suit) I'd be down for another new suit. All I really want out of a new one is speedy, Spiderman-like athleticism that the old suit depicted in favor of a bigger, bulkier suit. Halo 4's seemed to "weigh him down" in more than one sense, but maybe that was the intent. Well, I'd like some greens, golds, and CE-level simplicity / reflectiveness, too.

Anyone else think Chief hid in the poncho because they have no idea what they're supposed to do with his armor from here?

gAg CruSh3r

In hindsight, does anyone not really mind the concept of redesigning Chief's armor? I'm not particularly attached to his first two suits, per se, but the Halo 4 revision isn't doing him any favors. The helmet's neat, at least.

Just as long as you can still tell it's Chief and it's a valid revision (and not just 343's interpretation of an old suit) I'd be down for another new suit.

Anyone else think Chief hid in the poncho because they have no idea what they're supposed to do with his armor from here?

As much as people don't like his redesigned armor (which I don't mind); I think it will be staying for a little longer. Unless they decide to 'upgrade' his armor because he is back at the UNSC.

Madness

Just as long as you can still tell it's Chief and it's a valid revision (and not just 343's interpretation of an old suit) I'd be down for another new suit. All I really want out of a new one is speedy, Spiderman-like athleticism that the old suit depicted in favor of a bigger, bulkier suit. Halo 4's seemed to "weigh him down" in more than one sense, but maybe that was the intent. Well, I'd like some greens, golds, and CE-level simplicity / reflectiveness, too.

I hated the fact they changed it at all. Just more of 343 wanting to put their stamp on everything. It wasn't even explained in the story, and they basically retconned it because they showed it as damaged and in Halsey's starting cutscene, he's wearing it fighting a Brute.

Would have been smarter to keep his original MK. VI armor for the campaign, and then either change it to this new version, or change it to something else in Halo 5 game since it's too damaged or broken.

They really should have had Chief in his original armor with lower stats than your typical base player traits in Dawn. In the opening cutscene of Requiem after he's crashed, he wakes up to find a pod of Engineers and Constructors (the little Plasma Pistol Sentinels) fondling him before he shoos them off, with the camera panning to reveal his new Forerunner-Augmented Suit or whatever you want to call it. The rest of the campaign proceeds to have you flying around with the speed and power of a Quake regular.

Wasn't there speculation before the game came out that there was some nano-tech in the suit that could let it upgrade itself? It also made sense to me that Cortana could design/implement it being bored as shit floating in space.

jelly

I guess the new suit makes him look more like a guy in a suit rather than a robot. He can also relax in his UNSC spandex dreaming about those Cortana curves while sipping a hot chocolate and staring into the vastness of space.

Does anyone get the feeling Master Chief is going to have some force like powers in the new game after the Nutcracker women did her space magic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom