• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

daedalius

Wasn't there speculation before the game came out that there was some nano-tech in the suit that could let it upgrade itself? It also made sense to me that Cortana could design/implement it being bored as shit floating in space.

Just a line in Thursday War alluding to nano upgrades; although you'd think she would have repaired that damage on his chest :p

I personally like the new design, but I guess they didn't really explain some of the changes going from 2 to 3; although this time it was a bit more extreme I suppose. Video game reasons.

Fuchsdh

I hated the fact they changed it at all. Just more of 343 wanting to put their stamp on everything. It wasn't even explained in the story, and they basically retconned it because they showed it as damaged and in Halsey's starting cutscene, he's wearing it fighting a Brute.

Would have been smarter to keep his original MK. VI armor for the campaign, and then either change it to this new version, or change it to something else in Halo 5 game since it's too damaged or broken.
Pretty much this. I like a few elements of the new armor, particularly the touch of using the Braille, but it was an unnecessary visual change not supported by the story.

Wasn't there speculation before the game came out that there was some nano-tech in the suit that could let it upgrade itself? It also made sense to me that Cortana could design/implement it being bored as shit floating in space.

A line in The Thursday War notes that the Spartan-IV suits have nanomachines, but them and them only.

In that regarde, I wouldn't mind Thorne getting stuck behind Promethean enemy lines and his suit repairing itself into some awesome Promethean armor while Chief goes on a vision quest with Mendicant Bias and finds out his spirit animal is a Seeker.

Master Chief's armor should've been explained and it's those finer touches that could've made Halo 4's campaign that much better.

--------------------

What do you guys think are the chances we'll finally see these things again?
  • CE Pistol
  • Plasma Stun
  • Reach Grenade Launcher
  • Falcon
  • Chopper
  • Camo Powerup
  • Mk.V at launch
-Parts of the sandbox I hope we receive.

Did anyone else fill out the survey? I did. Gave me a bit of satisfaction to give several campaign and matchmaking maps/levels 1 star ratings.

I hated the fact they changed it at all. Just more of 343 wanting to put their stamp on everything. It wasn't even explained in the story, and they basically retconned it because they showed it as damaged and in Halsey's starting cutscene, he's wearing it fighting a Brute.

Would have been smarter to keep his original MK. VI armor for the campaign, and then either change it to this new version, or change it to something else in Halo 5 game since it's too damaged or broken.

That cinematic really bugged my inner lore fanboy because you can see Elite savaged armor using swords and RIP Covenant transport ships now they get out of the ships like swarm of insects.

Maybe they didnt want to bother in those details and just put chief armor in all the spartans to avoid doing different armors for such a little timed cinematic.

Also they retconed this scene?

Halo3_Brutes.png

640px-Halo_4_Spartan_vs_Brute.png

That cinematic really bugged my inner lore fanboy because you can see Elite savaged armor using swords and RIP Covenant transport ships now they get out of the ships like swarm of insects.

Maybe they didnt want to bother in those details and just put chief armor in all the spartans to avoid doing different armors for such a little timed cinematic.

Halo3_Brutes.png

How do we know they retconned those scenes? Are they teasers for new Halos to come? Have they elaborated what each scene meant? Why put the new Mk Armor on other Spartans? What's Halsey doing handing Cortana to chief while he was depressed wearing his new armor?

Something doesn't make sense to those scenes and why I haven't seen any developer talk about them just makes it odd.

IHaveIce

Banned
Master Chief's armor should've been explained and it's those finer touches that could've made Halo 4's campaign that much better.

--------------------

• CE Pistol
  • Plasma Stun
  • Reach Grenade Launcher
  • Falcon
  • Chopper
    [*]Camo Powerup
  • Mk.V at launch

Like you see in my post one page before I really wish we would get these especially back.

Though I think we won't get the CE pistol, if, we would get a Rifle skinned version of it that behaves like it.

wwm0nkey

Halo3_Brutes.png

You know what really and I mean REALLY bother my inner fanboy? THEY ARE USING THE WRONG ARMOR IN THE CINEMATIC!

--------------------

• CE Pistol - no
  • Plasma Stun - hell no
  • Reach Grenade Launcher - maybe
  • Falcon - probably some equivalent (possibly replaced with a better handling hornet?)
  • Chopper - maybe some equivalent (forerunner/promethean?)
  • Camo Powerup - maybe (hopefully replaces AA)
  • Mk.V at launch
    -probably
Marked my opinions in bold italics.
Did anyone else fill out the survey? I did. Gave me a bit of satisfaction to give several campaign and matchmaking maps/levels 1 star ratings.
Agreed.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yep, Halo 4's ratings are super low for me.
You know what really and I mean REALLY bother my inner fanboy? THEY ARE USING THE WRONG ARMOR IN THE CINEMATIC!

The whole introduction video is weird, we still have no idea who interviewed her, they never really got onto other spartans, they used the wrong armor

And completely disregarded that another group of humans did the same crime like Halsey with creating Spartan 3s

Just a line in Thursday War alluding to nano upgrades; although you'd think she would have repaired that damage on his chest :p

I personally like the new design, but I guess they didn't really explain some of the changes going from 2 to 3; although this time it was a bit more extreme I suppose. Video game reasons.

Yeah, I got used to the new design and I even kind of like it now. It makes perfect branding sense to change it, to give the Reclaimer non-trilogy its own design, I just (like everyone else) wish they spend two seconds explaining it...

wwm0nkey

Yep, Halo 4's ratings are super low for me.

The whole introduction video is weird, we still have no idea who interviewed her, they never really got onto other spartans, they used the wrong armor

And completely disregarded that another group of humans did the same crime like Halsey with creating Spartan 3s

Ignoring established lore irks me to no end.

Ghazi

Yeah, I got used to the new design and I even kind of like it now. It makes perfect branding sense to change it, to give the Reclaimer non-trilogy its own design, I just (like everyone else) wish they spend two seconds explaining it...
I do like the new armor now, the mp armor is atrocious for the most part though. I think they explained the armor thing in a text log on the ship, but I was bothered how Chief never questioned it at all.

Fuchsdh

I do like the new armor now, the mp armor is atrocious for the most part though. I think they explained the armor thing in a text log on the ship, but I was bothered how Chief never questioned it at all.
Better to hang a lantern on it than never bother explaining in my book. But it's a self-created issue so I don't have too much sympathy.

Tzeentch

I think they explained the armor thing in a text log on the ship, but I was bothered how Chief never questioned it at all.
-- I don't think it's ever mentioned. I looked over on the Wiki to remind myself what the logs say, and nothing mentioned the armor.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I liked the new armor for the most part, I could see why someone might hate the chest or shoulder pads though.

Mk.V + Halo 2 armor were the best IMO. MC's helmet in Halo 4 was cool, as were some changes like getting rid of the space diaper, but it wasn't until Halo 3 that it became more apparent to me how silly it was designed.

aj1467

I think they explained the armor thing in a text log on the ship, but I was bothered how Chief never questioned it at all.

Halo 4 Essential Visual Guide quote coming up

Page 10: "Fully updated by Cortana, this armor resembles an earlier line of Mjolnir Mark IV"

So I guess Cortana remodeled it (nanotech? lulz) to look like one of the three currently known lines of Mark IV, which gives them a way of getting away with not using the other forms of MKIV in the Prologue cinematic.

belushy

Banned
Didn't notice the new thread until just now. Hi everyone.

Halo Xbox One trailer pls

edit: Oh yeah, and great OT Ozzy.

Fuchsdh

Halo 4 Essential Visual Guide quote coming up

Page 10: "Fully updated by Cortana, this armor resembles an earlier line of Mjolnir Mark IV"

So I guess Cortana remodeled it (nanotech? lulz) to look like one of the three currently known lines of Mark IV, which gives them a way of getting away with not using the other forms of MKIV in the Prologue cinematic.

Well you could also read that as ignoring the differences in Halo 4 and instead explaining the Package/Forward Unto Dawn MkIV variant that was basically a copy-paste of the MkVI. Really wish they had just ignored the Package's aesthetics since they're so borked.

if I had a time machine I would nuke Legends from existence.

A little late to the party, but nice work on the |OT|, Ozzy. Survey didn't take as long as I thought it would.

Thanks mate, looks like a lot but it's pretty quick. I know some will deliberate their ratings more though so I think it's a bit if fun too. Like Fusch said the interesting part for yourself is seeing it all laid out in simple stars so you can compare your own ratings too.

Yea i don't like the chest part mainly for the master chief design in Halo 4. It needs much more armor than just strips. Halo 1-3 had it right. Also i didn't like the shoulder pads looking like they float,it needs to be on him and not coming out like that. Also they should have the back not pop out that much[thrusters] And the black part of the suit should not have those bumps.

Yea i don't like the chest part mainly for the master chief design in Halo 4. It needs much more armor than just strips. Halo 1-3 had it right. Also i didn't like the shoulder pads looking like they float,it needs to be on him and not coming out like that.

I assume it's supposed to look like that they can do what the books say they can do (run super fast and become Halo Neo, essentially.)

Because let's face it, the Bungie designs didn't look exactly...... flexible.

jem0208

--------------------

• CE Pistol
  • Plasma Stun
  • Reach Grenade Launcher
  • Falcon
  • Chopper
  • Camo Powerup
  • Mk.V at launch

There were a lot of things which I thought were weird about Halo 4's campaign. How did the Chief and Cortana know the Didact's name again? No one seemed all that surprised to find the Chief after he's been gone for a few years on some random forerunner shield world. Just odd little things which weren't explained much.

Despite this I still thoroughly enjoy it.

I doubt we'll see the CE pistol make a return, it's just a bit too OP.

I'd love to see the Grenade launcher return though, really satisfying to use right. The Falcon and chopper (especially the chopper) are awesome as well, I would love to see them again.

I actually quite liked the Chief's design in 4. I really like the helmet. It was much more imposing than the previous games. The rest of the armour doesn't really bother me.

Fuchsdh

I assume it's supposed to look like that they can do what the books say they can do (run super fast and become Halo Neo, essentially.)

True, but he's still supposed to look like a hulking super soldier. There's a balance that I dunno if either studio managed to nail.

Female Spartans need to eat a few more sandwiches before they hit the war games though.

Yea but he actually looks slightly bulkier in Halo 4 so wouldn't that weight him down? The back pops out more and his chest is bigger.

See when the shoulders are in this angle he looks better since you cant see the shoulders pop out. Also they should bring back the circles on his hand,why did they even change that?

evolution.png

And dat Halo 2 master chief

post-26056-Antonio-Banderas-computer-reac-cWjn.gif

IHaveIce

Banned
There were a lot of things which I thought were weird about Halo 4's campaign. How did the Chief and Cortana know the Didact's name again? No one seemed all that surprised to find the Chief after he's been gone for a few years on some random forerunner shield world. Just odd little things which weren't explained much.

Despite this I still thoroughly enjoy it.

I doubt we'll see the CE pistol make a return, it's just a bit too OP.

I'd love to see the Grenade launcher return though, really satisfying to use right. The Falcon and chopper (especially the chopper) are awesome as well, I would love to see them again.

I actually quite liked the Chief's design in 4. I really like the helmet. It was much more imposing than the previous games. The rest of the armour doesn't really bother me.
*Sigh*

I don't mind the new armor, but I wish the chest and shoulder pads were more true to the Halo 2/3 design.

Halo3_Brutes.png

Oh, I never even realized.. is that supposed to be the same scene?

daedalius

True, but he's still supposed to look like a hulking super soldier. There's a balance that I dunno if either studio managed to nail.

Female Spartans need to eat a few more sandwiches before they hit the war games though.

I don't think this was the design intent, even in the original.

If so, they did a pretty bad job. Hulking super soldier is not what I think when I see Spartan armor designs.

In h4, at least the design appears to be capable of what they can do in the books; and hulking super soldiers rarely sneak around in stealth mode.

Now Space Marines... that's what I think of when I think "hulking super soldier"

Fuchsdh

I don't think this was the design intent, even in the original.

If so, they did a pretty bad job. Hulking super soldier is not what I think when I see Spartan armor designs.

In h4, at least the design appears to be capable of what they can do in the books; and hulking super soldiers rarely sneak around in stealth mode.

Now Space Marines... that's what I think of when I think "hulking super soldier"
Well the space marines of Starcraft and Warhanmer are fantasy cartoon designs. I don't think they're really intended to be a realistic portrayal of any future tech.

While you might have to adjust some parts of the armor to allow all the animations you want, I still prefer CE Chief in basically every way to the successors.

nillapuddin

You wanna talk about changes to MJOLNIR?

OptRygC.gif

pre-order canceled

You wanna talk about taking Fan Feedback?
You wanna talk about righting the ship?

They put the cod piece back in its rightful place.
Thats how you do it.
Good job 343.

Well the space marines of Starcraft and Warhanmer are fantasy cartoon designs. I don't think they're really intended to be a realistic portrayal of any future tech.

While you might have to adjust some parts of the armor to allow all the animations you want, I still prefer CE Chief in basically every way to the successors.

How come you prefer the CE chief?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom