• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
ku-xlarge.jpg

Why is it in this Halo 4 live action scene they used the old Mk VI from Halo 2 based on the gauntlets of Chief's armor? Probably not important. Just a bit interesting.

Design must have changed at some point.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Why is it in this Halo 4 live action scene they used the old Mk VI from Halo 2 based on the gauntlets of Chief's armor? Probably not important. Just a bit interesting.

I'm assuming probably an oversight by Axis, or whoever did the CGI. I also believe it's supposed to be Mk IV. Which is fine with me, because I like this version of the armor better.

aj1467

ku-xlarge.jpg

It's actually the first iteration of Mk IV that all S-IIs got in 2525. Check the lower arms and upper back.

EDIT: Another shot of the back (and butt plate) here http://www.halopedia.org/images/4/4d/H4L_Awakening_2.jpg

and you can just about see the lower legs here if you zoom in http://www.halopedia.org/images/3/3e/H4L_Awakening_1.jpg

nillapuddin

If you copy/pasted the Far Cry 2 level editor into forge it would be absolutely.. wasteful

just watched the vid Ply posted in wishlist, and as a forger, only about half of that looked useful.

Halo doesnt work with "realistic" terrain
thats the point of Arena Shooters, the artists try their best to make the maps look like they make sense.. but at the end of the day, we are 7 foot space mutants jumping 10 feet in the air.

real doors, bridges, cars, etc just dont make sense, yeah weather and stuff like that seems great, object painting sounds wonderful

Geometry is the best way to go for Forge, basic shapes are all we need, they just (could be*) improved

I dont want organic maps. Go find all the best Halo maps ever and tell me how many of them have trees, hills, water, shit like that (Backwash)

Foundation, Lockout, Guardian, the maps that people jizz themselves over are just inter woven platforms and ramps

* minority of population, cares about forge, they sell the game to 10+ million players, how many use forge? (raises hand with a sad face)
unfortunate, but I understand that my favorite feature set isnt in the spotlight

edit: Im packing up my entire house and am stressing the fuck out, so apologies if there are leaps in logic/typos

It's actually the first iteration of Mk IV that all S-IIs got in 2525. Check the lower arms and upper back.

EDIT: Another shot of the back (and butt plate) here http://www.halopedia.org/images/4/4d/H4L_Awakening_2.jpg

and you can just about see the lower legs here if you zoom in http://www.halopedia.org/images/3/3e/H4L_Awakening_1.jpg
Eh.. I guess. It just doesn't look like Mk IV to me. Idk.

If you copy/pasted the Far Cry 2 level editor into forge it would be absolutely.. wasteful

just watched the vid Ply posted in wishlist, and as a forger, only about half of that looked useful.

Halo doesnt work with "realistic" terrain
thats the point of Arena Shooters, the artists try their best to make the maps look like they make sense.. but at the end of the day, we are 7 foot space mutants jumping 10 feet in the air.

real doors, bridges, cars, etc just dont make sense, yeah weather and stuff like that seems great, object painting sounds wonderful

Geometry is the best way to go for Forge, basic shapes are all we need, they just (could be*) improved

I dont want organic maps. Go find all the best Halo maps ever and tell me how many of them have trees, hills, water, shit like that (Backwash)

Foundation, Lockout, Guardian, the maps that people jizz themselves over are just inter woven platforms and ramps

* minority of population, cares about forge, they sell the game to 10+ million players, how many use forge? (raises hand with a sad face)
unfortunate, but I understand that my favorite feature set isnt in the spotlight

edit: Im packing up my entire house and am stressing the fuck out, so apologies if there are leaps in logic/typos
Makes a lot of sense honestly.

Fuchsdh

Eh.. I guess. It just doesn't look like Mk IV to me. Idk.

Makes a lot of sense honestly.

Well they get props for actually using the right armor. Either it's entirely CGI matchmoved, or they made their own suit; if it's the latter I assume part of the reason it doesn't look right is it's got a way different finish than we've seen in the games.

Mistel

Banned
Well they get props for actually using the right armor. Either it's entirely CGI matchmoved, or they made their own suit; if it's the latter I assume part of the reason it doesn't look right is it's got a way different finish than we've seen in the games.

If it has say the shoulder plates it would be easier to identify and a frontal view would be nice but Canon being followed is nice.

IV and V do look decent and have aged better than the VI from halo 2 and 3 has although that maybe due to the last appearance was halo 3 not a more recent game.

How does the halo 4 chief armor being a older style as seen by flashback usage does it override mark IV, or is it a variant?

@GodOfNerdiness

What resolution and fps do you want montage captures in? I'll be grabbing a few clips tonight from Reach & 4 over the last couple of weeks playing. How do you want them shared? Public dropbox?

If I "fix" my other older 360 OG then I'll cap some Halo 3 or 2 footage to share. I hope that 360 does work with another power brick because I'd like to share some saved unique assault stuff from Halo 3 ranked OBJ.

aj1467

How does the halo 4 chief armor being a older style as seen by flashback usage does it override mark IV, or is it a variant?

The design they changed Chief's armor into in H4 is based of an iteration of Mk IV according to the H4 Visual Guide.

Currently we know of the following iterations of Mk IV:
First = Halo Wars style
Second = FuD/The Package style
Third = The Cole Protocol cover/Reach's Mk V style (this iteration of Mk V looks pretty much the same design as the novel cover and is backed up with the in game armory description. Also both Reach's and Halo 1's Mark V designs exist according to the first Visual Guide, with Halo 1's being the full version which can house an AI).
Fourth = Halo 4 Prologue.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Grinding on this Top 200 Slayer thing is beginning to eat away at my soul. For every awesome game of Legendary BRs there's an Infinity shitshow. And Infinity is first slot always. But I'm making progress. Went from like 10-19 today.

Mistel

Banned
I would imagine so. This still looks badass.

The image is hotlink restricted do you have another source?

The design they changed Chief's armor into in H4 is based of an iteration of Mk IV according to the H4 Visual Guide.

Currently we know of the following iterations of Mk IV:
First = Halo Wars style
Second = FuD/The Package style
Third = The Cole Protocol cover/Reach's Mk V style (this iteration of Mk V looks pretty much the same design as the novel cover and is backed up with the in game armory description. Also both Reach's and Halo 1's Mark V designs exist according to the first Visual Guide, with Halo 1's being the full version which can house an AI).
Fourth = Halo 4 Prologue.

Halo wars being first seems strange for a design perspective, FUD mark IV looks more like a prototype version of the variants.

The grenadeir helmet was also a IV design as well, that's a lot of visually similar armor that exists.

Don't hit the ceiling Tashi :p

FYC

Banned
@GodOfNerdiness

What resolution and fps do you want montage captures in? I'll be grabbing a few clips tonight from Reach & 4 over the last couple of weeks playing. How do you want them shared? Public dropbox?

If I "fix" my other older 360 OG then I'll cap some Halo 3 or 2 footage to share. I hope that 360 does work with another power brick because I'd like to share some saved unique assault stuff from Halo 3 ranked OBJ.

Hmm, I'm not sure about the bolded, to be honest. I might have to ask Duncan.

Fuchsdh

You're going to want the frame rate to be 30fps. Youtube can't display 60fps without some hacking and either way Halo's not going to be running 60fps so you're wasting frames.

If everyone gets you 720p or better you can always downscale to the lowest common denominator. Since lots of capture rigs give you 1080i tops instead of 1080p you're better off going with the lower rez but progressive image.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm excited there's gonna be another HaloGAF montage. I know yall have some cool videos of me donging on your hard drives. Submit them for me.

Madness

We're having another montage? How do we send clips? I don't think I made much beyond launch week. The game just killed any joy of coming up with funny moments etc. When is the deadline for a submission?

Mistel

Banned
We're having another montage? How do we send clips? I don't think I made much beyond launch week. The game just killed any joy of coming up with funny moments etc. When is the deadline for a submission?

I've got some BTB stuff from reach and 4 saved if I could submit some that would be nice, i've got no idea if it's any use to the montage.

You're going to want the frame rate to be 30fps. Youtube can't display 60fps without some hacking and either way Halo's not going to be running 60fps so you're wasting frames.

If everyone gets you 720p or better you can always downscale to the lowest common denominator. Since lots of capture rigs give you 1080i tops instead of 1080p you're better off going with the lower rez but progressive image.

Nice one, let us just say 720p 30fps as a minimum for submission and recommend GodOfNerdiness output the same final montage settings. Also if anyone needs a capture done just link me your uploaded fileshare video(s) link and I'll capture it for you. Just make sure to tell me the times to capture as I don't want to guess at what times to capture and full games are too long. It should be easy for GodOfNerdiness to sort through what to put into the montage.

FYC

Banned
Yeah, what Fuchsdh / Ozzy said. Oh, you can Dropxbox the footage, Ozzy. Thanks a lot dude.

No deadline at the moment, we're just getting started really. Send clips to Ozzy and he'll cap 'em. You can send clips from any Halo game, campaign or multiplayer. Even Wars / Spartan Assault :p

As for the layout, for lack of a better word, I think we'll start with CE footage and end with 4, using songs from each games OST. Was contemplating some other stuff earlier, but this'll probably work best.

I'm excited there's gonna be another HaloGAF montage. I know yall have some cool videos of me donging on your hard drives. Submit them for me.

Yeah, what Fuchsdh / Ozzy said. Oh, you can Dropxbox the footage, Ozzy. Thanks a lot dude.

No deadline at the moment, we're just getting started really. Send clips to Ozzy and he'll cap 'em. You can send clips from any Halo game, campaign or multiplayer. Even Wars / Spartan Assault :p

So who I send my clips then?
Can I send from Reach and Halo 3 too?

Madness

Everyone should clear ignore lists at the start of the year and then those who have extensive ones, should see how long it takes for them to be filled again.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The image is hotlink restricted do you have another source?

Halo wars being first seems strange for a design perspective, FUD mark IV looks more like a prototype version of the variants.

The grenadeir helmet was also a IV design as well, that's a lot of visually similar armor that exists.

Don't hit the ceiling Tashi :p

Newbie makes a Tashi Ceiling joke?

GG!

Ghazi

Everyone should clear ignore lists at the start of the year and then those who have extensive ones, should see how long it takes for them to be filled again.

Knowing Karl, he'd empty his list and then probably block everybody who has posted on the newest page.

Mix

ku-xlarge.jpg

Call me crazy, but i thought this was supposed to be the Halo Anniversary Mark V

Ghazi

LOOOOOOOOL, incoming there's no Season 2 for it because there wasn't enough demand.

Then they start working on Halo 5 which has perks and armor abilities, if Halo: Episodic Xbox One is a return to roots and fails.

But seriously, if they do Spartan Ops well in Halo: Xbox One, I'd love that. I cannot see them making an episodic lead up to the full game though, unless they plan on bridging Halo 4 and Halo XO with something like that

Ghazi

I'd actually be down for this, as long as they keep the cast from the first game.

I honestly doubt they'd want to use those Bungie characters (not trying to be mailicious, everything they've done so far shows them intent on starting what seems to be a clean slate with some dirt from before still on it). Most likely, they'd do some Spartan IV stories/ops again, or a Palmer-lead squad (focus has been seemingly put more on her, especially with the comics and the end of Spartan Ops)

There has been a ton of feedback, both positive and negative, in regards to the direction that Halo 4's multiplayer took the franchise. What feedback have you taken to heart the most, and what changes have 343 made to their multiplayer philosophy and approach to reflect said feedback?
- a Polish Korean

I think that’s probably the most important question for our community, and I think we’ll start answering it honestly and directly in due time. So I won’t touch on philosophy here, other than to say you’ll see a lot of those learnings when we start showing things. There’s no semantic dance I can do here that will satisfy every segment of our audience – there are just too many pitfalls and inter-community disagreements on what makes Halo MP great. So we will be open and receptive and honest with ourselves.

soon, trust us, etc etc

Bulletin: https://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/12/18/The-Halo-Bulletin-121813.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom