• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Predictable spawns are fine. Exploitable spawns are not. You should be able to predict where they're coming from, but you shouldn't be able to shoot them right when they spawn or assassinate them right when they spawn. Safe but predictable is the key. However, I also think in Slayer that you shouldn't be only allowed to spawn on one side of the map, because you don't have an objective to defend or attack, so there's no point in limiting the safe spots you can spawn from. And despite what people would like to say, non-sided spawning in Slayer is not random.

Assassinate when they spawn of course shouldn't happen. Shooting when they spawn though, I'm ok with because I know it depends on the map. The spawning on one side of the map is also on a map by map basis. For example on Zealot Slayer, I think spawning anywhere works. The map is a little too small to not allow it. However on a map like Sanctuary, I think it should be one sided. I remember when Bungie changed the spawns on Narrows TS from one sided to spawn anywhere and it ruined the map.

Predictable spawns are fine. Exploitable spawns are not. You should be able to predict where they're coming from, but you shouldn't be able to shoot them right when they spawn or assassinate them right when they spawn. Safe but predictable is the key. However, I also think in Slayer that you shouldn't be only allowed to spawn on one side of the map, because you don't have an objective to defend or attack, so there's no point in limiting the safe spots you can spawn from. And despite what people would like to say, non-sided spawning in Slayer is not random.

If they have non sided spawning in a halo game again they should do what Gears does and have the announcer call it out. That would alleviate most of my problems with that kind of spawn system.

If a team has been spawn trapped and can't get out of it they deserve to/ are bound to lose regardless, I can see why you would have none sided spawns in social, but I kind of think in ranked spawn trapping is part of the game, just like how wall trapping is a strategy in fighting games. If you can get your opponent into that position which should be a challenge in itself you should be able to capitalise on that.

Risen explained my problems better than I could last page, Narrows is an example of a map that I think should never have had dynamic spawns, it punishes the aggressive team too much simply for outslaying.

Striker

Narrows was a dead horse. It had terrible whens when it was restricted to one side, but then they tried fixing it and it was just as terrible. The entire winning team sat up hill in the middle of the map and others spawned in small rooms where they had little to no cover upon spawn.

I do agree it's a map based decision. Certain maps, like Sanctuary, work better for spawning on your side, since it had decent cover and size. Asymmetric maps obviously can go anywhere, and depending on how open or large the symmetrical map can be, dynamic spawns can probably work better (see: Standoff).

Risen

I do agree it's a map based decision. Certain maps, like Sanctuary, work better for spawning on your side, since it had decent cover and size. Asymmetric maps obviously can go anywhere, and depending on how open or large the symmetrical map can be, dynamic spawns can probably work better (see: Standoff).

I'd definitely agree larger maps will accept that dynamic spawn much better than smaller (in terms of game play)... my point earlier was entirely based on a 4v4, smaller (relative term), symmetrical map. Asymmetrical maps would accept it better as well as there are likely open areas for the system to read for both teams at any point in time.

heckfu

Banned
I go celebrate the fourth of July and I miss the new thread? Damn.

Someone fill me in!

No. See those numbers at the bottom? Click on each one to find a new page. Once you do that start at the top and going from left to right put the words together to form sentences. Sentences equal thoughts.

Once you click on all those numbers and do the sentence-thing, you'll be caught up!

I have not seen it posted here but It is pretty old. Soo...:
Exclusive Comic-Con Halo 4 print "Return of the Master Chief":
HLOGP11_final_out.jpg

Halo 4 concept art by Gabriel Garza aka Robogabo
50 piece edition
13″ x 19″ (paper size)
$89.00
limit 1 per customer
http://acmelimited.com/news/more-comic-con-exclusives-halo-prometheus/

GhaleonEB

I think more than an updated spawn system, I want spawns that get fixed after a map hits matchmaking. Testing can't - and doesn't - catch everything, so when problems are found I hope they can be fixed quickly. That means robust internal tools to make updates easier, and the removal of the once a month update window. I'm all for methodical testing and roll outs of updates, but when a game-breaking issue is found (ledges on Sword Base in Infection) the community shouldn't be waiting months for a fix to hit.

Gray Man

Banned
No. See those numbers at the bottom? Click on each one to find a new page. Once you do that start at the top and going from left to right put the words together to form sentences. Sentences equal thoughts.

Once you click on all those numbers and do the sentence-thing, you'll be caught up!

That would take forever, nah.

Getting slowed for a second when you fall from really high seems fair, since you won't be taking any damage. Lets you traverse the map better, but you can't jump off of a ledge to avoid a fight as easily.

Are you surprised they are still changing stuff from the e3 build? Since they said they would, and Ellis has confirmed things are already quite different.
It may be a fair thing, but I still don't see the need for it. It worked very well in 2/3.
Stun is fine but I feel the lack of damage can improve map flow. For example Headlong was amazing on 2 but shitty on Reach because if you jumped down you were fucked. Stun adds a risk to jumping down if you are in a battle but it wont screw you over when you are not in a fight.
It depends on the situation, but I could see a type of stun screwing you over when not in a fight too.

Honestly, though, I can't form a good opinion on a stun by itself because I've never played a Halo game with that type of setting. Wait and see, really, just like many other things. Also, I support the idea of moving any HaloGAF tournament discussion to a new thread.

wwm0nkey

It may be a fair thing, but I still don't see the need for it. It worked very well in 2/3.

It depends on the situation, but I could see a type of stun screwing you over when not in a fight too.

Also, I support the idea of moving any HaloGAF tournament discussion to a new thread.

Hey I would like it without stun too but if there is some form of fall "damage" I rather it just be the stun part.

I'm glad they got rid of fall damage, now all they need to do is get rid of soft kill barriers in campaign and i can explore some mountain on requiem. or get to some tall structure in the background.

a zoojoo

Banned

sexy.

I'm glad they got rid of fall damage, now all they need to do is get rid of soft kill barriers in campaign and i can explore some mountain on requiem. or get to some tall structure in the background.

I feel like the previous Halo's have missed that opportunity to expand the players environment and give it that sense of exploration that we all love so much. Hopefully Halo 4,5,6 will have that, i wouldn't get my hopes up though.

Nutduster

Neo Member

One major difference though - nobody had sprint in 2/3. Now everybody has it. It's already going to be hard to finish kills, as anybody who has played Reach games with all sprint or (shudder) all evade already knows. If people can go somewhere high, then drop down any distance and sprint away immediately, that just makes it so much harder.

Louis Wu

Nearly all spawns in a team game will be exploitable. Once you know the areas, and know the system, you will be able to exploit spawns.

Despite what people would like to say, spawn traps are not bad for competition. It's putting a team in check... checkmate is right around the corner. The entire game is "we start here, you start there, and we fight for control" lose control, and the game becomes hyper-competitive. That's your "objective" in a Team Slayer match. It's fair... it's balanced... and the playing field doesn't change. This is a good thing for competition between evenly matched teams. It's only an issue for those playing people much more skilled than them, or with a much higher understanding of the spawn system.

Without those static, side based spawns, I'm given a free pass to the other side of the map. It turns a team game into an FFA. The team that just exhibited the better team work can/will get penalized. Now we can spawn on the same side as the other team... at the same time. So say on Narrows holding top mid. We kill you blue and you spawn opposite... but during that period I die top mid just before you while my other mates are still alive. I spawn red and as I'm running out you spawn right behind me and get a free kill. The game just penalized the team that exhibited the better skill and teamwork and rewarded the team that performed poorly by allowing a net trade.

In default Team Slayer... this scenario played out time and time again. Rewarding a team for performing poorly and penalizing a team for performing well runs counter to competition.
I think I probably agree with most of this. The caveat is that there are ENOUGH static, side-based spawns. Since Zealot has only 5 in the Flag-is-away situation, a team of 5 (hey, that's how many people are on an Objective team!) can cover EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. THIS is a problem.

Seems like you could fix this problem by adding a few points that were on the other side of that under-flag area wall; you don't even really have to move them very far, you just need to give the team that's spawning a CHANCE to be spawned without someone standing right behind them.

(I'd also agree with Striker that very small maps shouldn't force Slayer spawns to one side or the other.)

Ramirez

HLOGP11_final_out.jpg

50 piece edition
13″ x 19″ (paper size)
$89.00
limit 1 per customer

I want this, fuuuu

In other news, my gall bladder has to come out, yay.

I would prefer fall damage I believe, but without it I definitely think there should be stun. I don't think it's fair to have no consequence for dropping down from high up.

Ew, no to both. Why do you all want shackles around you at all times? The best parts of 2/3 were being able to move freely around maps. Nothing like coming off the mancannon on the Ascension remake in Reach and either dying, or being stunned long enough to be killed. TERRIBLE.

Nutduster

Neo Member
I think I probably agree with most of this. The caveat is that there are ENOUGH static, side-based spawns. Since Zealot has only 5 in the Flag-is-away situation, a team of 5 (hey, that's how many people are on an Objective team!) can cover EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. THIS is a problem.

Zealot's spawn system in CTF is flat-out broken. There needs to be more spawn points but also several spawn AREAS to spawn in, not just one small area that can easily be covered by one or two players. Forget the 1:1 player-to-spawn ratio or spawnkilling via assassination - the larger problem is that one or two guys can go sit in the basement, watch people spawn in front of them, and constantly have the drop on them with a 'nade or 1-2 shots before the spawner even has time to turn around. That should almost never happen in Halo; it certainly shouldn't be a situation that is comically easy to create and exploit. Asylum has static spawning, but the flag-away spawns are far better than Zealot's because your team can spawn in a few different places.

Ram: Welp, you doing okay? Soon?

(Exclusive to Comic-con? Fuuuuu)
(Japan in 8 days!)

The ordinances still sound weird (I hear random and don't think of Spelunky's kind of random), but yes, no fall damage is the way to have it.

wwm0nkey

If I get extra's of Comic-Con shit I will try to give some of it to you guys. That being said it would have to be a lot of extra stuff lol

(Exclusive to Comic-con? Fuuuuu)
(Japan in 8 days!)

The ordinances still sound weird (I hear random and don't think of Spelunky's kind of random), but yes, no fall damage is the way to have it.

What is this ordinances you speak of?

If I get extra's of Comic-Con shit I will try to give some of it to you guys. That being said it would have to be a lot of extra stuff lol
Hopefully I'll see you there.

Gray Man

Banned
I'll fill you in bro.

Nothing happened.

Thanks, I would rather hear this than read a lot of nothing...

edit- That poster is cool, but I sort of wish it was done in the style of an old movie poster, credits, information at the bottom in the white space. etc.

Forgotten weird features of old games.

you know what this thread reminded me of?

Vehicles in Halo: CE have the side seat person stay in first person. also vehicles show the passengers health.

why have these features never come back? also, I'd want the option of driving/turreting in first person as well. also showing a passengers shield level in multiplayer would be extremely useful.

if vehicle health comes back, which i hope it doesn't, it should be displayed on the hud. so that you know exactly how much health the vehicle has left. (there should also be a way to fix vehicles)

I like no fall damage, but I'd like no fall stun either.

On the subject of movement and jumps, can we bring back Halo 3's jumping with ghost ledges and slide jumps and stuff like that? Love all the different ways that allowed you to move around maps.

Nutduster

Neo Member
Ew, no to both. Why do you all want shackles around you at all times? The best parts of 2/3 were being able to move freely around maps. Nothing like coming off the mancannon on the Ascension remake in Reach and either dying, or being stunned long enough to be killed. TERRIBLE.

The arguments for fall damage (or stun, or both):
1. Harder to run away from high ground positions. This adds a risk vs. reward factor to those spots. The sniper catwalk on Damnation in CE is a great example - it is a power position, but a misstep would hurt or kill you frequently, so you couldn't just bail after taking a couple shots, and if you did you might get killed anyway.

2. Adds a skill gap in a couple ways - knowing where you can fall (e.g. on Damnation, you could safely fall to the main hallway, or the snipe balcony; you could semi-safely fall to top of red room; you could even make a precision fall to the OS if it was there; but you couldn't fall all the way down to rockets and live, most of the time), and crouching to reduce the fall damage (which I think was a glitch, but it was a great one with a positive effect on gameplay).

It does make it harder to navigate highly vertical maps, and you can't just go nuts with mancannons, they need to be precisely aimed (which is yet another reason why the remake of Ascension fails so badly in Reach). But overall I do think the pros outweigh the cons, at least for me.

With Reach specifically I would argue that fall damage was needed to counter jetpack and, to a lesser extent, sprint and evade. There have to be some controls on people just running away like frightened rabbits all game long. Halo 4 may be a different story but since sprint is apparently built-in and evade has become thruster, maybe not.

Ramirez

I've been feeling weird for about a month now. Anytime I eat I feel like I'm going to throw up, spicy food would make my stomach quiver & spasm. I'd wake up at like 5 AM pouring the sweat & feeling like hurling...

Went to the ER about 2 weeks ago, everything came back normal, she told me to get a Hidascan(SP?) for my GB, got that today and it's working at 26% efficiency, so that seems to be my problem.

I just wanna feel normal again! Oh, and eat all of the spicy mexican food I want. :p

Also, in hindsight, I don't believe I was food poisoned at PAX last year, I believe it was a GB attack. :(

^ You're still living in CE days I see, I equate fall damage to stuff like healthpacks, just archaic game design.

FyreWulff

I'll catch up with spawn discussion later. Fedex changed their mind at the last minute and refused to send my Box of Shit ground, and wanted 250$ to ship it via air to Canada. USPS wants 200$. UPS is a total no-go. So now I'm going to attempt to check the box onto my flight and just pay the 30$ fee.

I land sometime around 5:30pm and will be waiting until around 8:30-9pm in the Sheraton lobby in downtown Seattle, if anyone wants to stop by and give me a holler.

ONWARDS TO CANADA

I want this, fuuuu

Good luck, man. The hardest part of my surgery last year was having to give up my wedding ring before I went under. I've never taken it off since I've been married, and hearing that almost made me break down into tears.
At least they don't have to break ribs to get to your gall bladder. That SUCKED.

Striker

It does make it harder to navigate highly vertical maps, and you can't just go nuts with mancannons, they need to be precisely aimed (which is yet another reason why the remake of Ascension fails so badly in Reach).
The primary differences from Ascension to Pinnacle were the lack of an Overshield and fall damage. With those changes, it makes me wonder why they elected to pick that map to remake (yeah, it's Forge, but they still created "the rock" specifically for it).

I like no fall damage, but I'd like no fall stun either.

On the subject of movement and jumps, can we bring back Halo 3's jumping with ghost ledges and slide jumps and stuff like that? Love all the different ways that allowed you to move around maps.
I don't like the player model stun either. Speaking of stun, it would be fantastic if they didn't have vehicle stun or vehicle lock-in either. But we both know it'll happen. With the high possibility of players spawning with an EMP-draining Plasma Pistol in Halo 4's BTB, it's going to make vehicle combat pretty frustrating.

If we get a custom Halo 4 360 I want it Promethean-themed, hardlight shields, floating parts and all. There's no disc tray, just a Promethean skull that opens up and eats your disc. You have to punch it in the face to open it.

Moa

If we get a custom Halo 4 360 I want it Promethean-themed, hardlight shields, floating parts and all. There's no disc tray, just a Promethean skull that opens up and eats your disc. You have to punch it in the face to open it.

Still hoping for Promethean Vision goggles.

a zoojoo

Banned

And teleports across the room each time you want to turn it on.

Risen

I'll catch up with spawn discussion later. Fedex changed their mind at the last minute and refused to send my Box of Shit ground, and wanted 250$ to ship it via air to Canada. USPS wants 200$. UPS is a total no-go. So now I'm going to attempt to check the box onto my flight and just pay the 30$ fee.

I land sometime around 5:30pm and will be waiting until around 8:30-9pm in the Sheraton lobby in downtown Seattle, if anyone wants to stop by and give me a holler.

ONWARDS TO CANADA

250 is just crazy... I mail documents all the time in my profession, but I guess I'm a little out of touch with shipping stuffs. I overnighted my laptop to home office for repair not too long ago, and it was 110.00. Was like fuuuuuuuuuuuu... between what it cost to ship back and forth, and what they pay me for the time I spent jacking with the thing, they could have just bought me a new laptop and sent it ground. Would have cost less.

Akai__

You guys shouldn't raise expectations too much. Don't get me wrong, I would like certain things described in the article, but the article could be very wrong. Let's just hope 343i is revealing/clearifying more on the 7th. So 2 more days, yay.

Off-topic, but I have to say this. Just finnished watching "The Legend of Korra" and it's really amazing. Maybe a bit short, but still awesome. Can't wait for the next "book".

Risen

Really wishing I had purchased RTX tickets... so kicking myself for waiting too long, but by the time I figured out I could go it was too late... grrrrrrrrr.

Ramirez

Archaic game design, just like having the same starting weapon and having static timed weapon and powerup spawns.

I don't really consider movement/health systems to be the same as stuff like power weapon spawns. It is dumb that it's taken 5 games to be able to choose what starting weapon you want. I'd argue though that the core Halo gameplay has always been about controlling power weapons, removing that could make it not Halo. Removing stuff like fall damage & health packs just makes it a better Halo. :p

Yea, well, that's just like, your opinion man.
It's actually not. Just an illustration on what a specious counterpoint it was, especially after the guy explained in detail why it could benefit a modern game (he wasn't even personally advocating it, just presenting the ideas, yet he's "living in the past").

I don't really consider movement/health systems to be the same as stuff like power weapon spawns. It is dumb that it's taken 5 games to be able to choose what starting weapon you want. I'd argue though that the core Halo gameplay has always been about controlling power weapons, removing that could make it not Halo. Removing stuff like fall damage & health packs just makes it a better Halo. :p
I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusions, although if we're going to have a shield and health system, I'd like to see the status of both on my HUD, whether it's regenerating (Halo 2 & 3), non-regenerating (Halo: CE), or somewhere in-between (Halo: Reach). Giving more power to the player means giving him such useful tactical information.

You had to pre-order it to pick it up:
These exclusives will be available for attendee pre-order for pickup beginning June 25th on DarkInkArt.com
I want this, fuuuu

I hope everything will be fine.

Really wishing I had purchased RTX tickets... so kicking myself for waiting too long, but by the time I figured out I could go it was too late... grrrrrrrrr.
Tickets are available at the front doors?

Edit.: They are sold out. Sorry. Halo did it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom