• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy damn 10th anniversary, Shadow the Hedgehog

Village

History shows Sega/Dimps makes good Sonic games when Shadow isn't playable or even in the game. SA2? Heroes? Advance 3? '06? Battle? His own game? Crap. The Rush games and last 5 or so years of console Sonics? Kinda not crap all the way up to good! Can they make a good Sonic game in which he's playable? Maybe? But I see no outcome in which said game is good specifically because he's in it o.o

Whoah WHOAH , shadow is in advanced 3? I played the shit out of that game, tell me where he at?
Eh , also opinion I guess. I like battle and sonic adventure 2, and while I hate.... HAAATE heroes, i know there are quite a few folks fond of that. And for shadows game, there are far more people ok with that game than I would like to believe. As far 06 goes... anthony might argue that one.

I don't think shadows inclusion or exclusion means anything really as far as quality considering including him requires the most minimal changes in game play as far as 3d platforming is concerned actually. He's a popular guy and his inclusion in a game might make some folks happy. Thats about it.

Nudull

Banned
You know, even as Sega clearly wanted him to be the new Knuckles, did Shadow offer all that much gameplay-wise besides being "the evil Sonic"? Knuckles could glide, punch things and harness the power of the Emeralds, and Shadow...could hover slightly above ground? Of course, there's Chaos Control, but that's usually limited to the plot. Even when Sega tried utilizing it in STH, it didn't amount to much.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'll have to look through my issue, but I remember one of the writers for Nintendo Power APOLOGIZES for his high score of the game.

Village

Sonic is Goku, Shadow is Vegeta, Knuckles is Piccolo, Amy is Chi-Chi, Tails can be Krillin, I guess.
the only one hat sorta accurate is knuckles, and he hasn't been that way for year.
DBZ analogs for sonic, besides, super sonic being obviously inspired by super saiyans, falls apart outside of that. And maybe silver.
You know, even as Sega clearly wanted him to be the new Knuckles, did Shadow offer all that much gameplay-wise besides being "the evil Sonic"? Knuckles could glide, punch things and harness the power of the Emeralds, and Shadow...could hover slightly above ground? Of course, there's Chaos Control, but that's usually limited to the plot. Even when Sega tried utilizing it in STH, it didn't amount to much.

he has a bunch of chaos attacks and abilities. I don't think sega wanted him to be anything outside of his initial reveal. When they found out he was very popular they just sorta rolled with it.

though considering knuckles hasn't been knuckles for years, I guess someone else can be knuckles now. Vector would make an alright knuckles.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Whoah WHOAH , shadow is in advanced 3? I played the shit out of that game, tell me where he at?
My bad I guess he isn't. Coulda swore he was an unlockable secret character. Maybe in a romhack version I saw once.

Eh , also opinion I guess. I like battle
I thought I liked Battle until the super unfair situations the game put you in how cheap the CPU could be. I played through it all the way once but any attempt afterwards went almost nowhere cause I got no more patience to put up with cheap stuff.

I don't think shadows inclusion or exclusion means anything really as far as quality considering including him requires the most minimal changes in game play as far as 3d platforming is concerned actually. He's a popular guy and his inclusion in a game might make some folks happy. Thats about it.
It could just be a curse. I mean if they reskinned Sonic to Shadows colors and dropped him in a re-release of Sonic 3 it'd still be a great game... I... hope? *remembers Sonic the Hedgehog GBA port*

Prompto

Banned
the only one hat sorta accurate is knuckles, and he hasn't been that way for year.
DBZ analogs for sonic, besides, super sonic being obviously inspired by super saiyans, falls apart outside of that. And maybe silver.
What about chaos emeralds/dragon balls?

Village

My bad I guess he isn't. Coulda swore he was an unlockable secret character. Maybe in a romhack version I saw once.

Probably. Emril, is in that game, whatever that robot is called.

I thought I liked Battle until the super unfair situations the game put you in how cheap the CPU could be. I played through it all the way once but any attempt afterwards went almost nowhere cause I got no more patience to put up with cheap stuff.
I wont lie some of the story scenario's are way too difficult, that said gameplay wise the game is great and I wonder why they never did anything with that. It was a competent game, with an interesting art style.

It could just be a curse.

If by curse you mean, your opinions. Sure, curse it up.

There might be games that manage to play worse, but when combined with the tastelessness of the whole thing, I think you could make a strong case for this being the worst well known game ever made.

Village

What about chaos emeralds/dragon balls?

On a technical , besides there being 7 of them they don't serve the same technical function, all they do is give power.

On a meta commentary level, while they don't bring characters back to life... most of the time (the comic is weird,) they do act as like " get the fuck out of jail free cards " via powerup. So if you wanna compare them on that level sure, but its done differently. And to be honest I prefer that sonic boom doesn't have chaos emeralds at all, its one of the better things its done.

You were probably thinking of this classic.

I'll have to look through my issue, but I remember one of the writers for Nintendo Power APOLOGIZES for his high score of the game.

He did! It was Steve Thomason and it was in the very last issue (Dec 2012). I kinda laughed when I saw that he did that. His review was one of the most unusually positive the game got.

Nightii

Banned
Question: Was the Sonic fandom's infamy (as a perfect place for people to be creepy and/or hilariously edgy) already a thing before Shadow debuted? or was it him and the levels of story hilarity what kickstarted it?

Nudull

Banned
Question: Was the Sonic fandom's infamy (as a perfect place for people to be creepy and/or hilariously edgy) already a thing before Shadow debuted? or was it him and the levels of story hilarity what kickstarted it?

I think the fandom started to change up sometime after SA2 Battle, where the series started to get a lot of newer fans thanks to the third-party exposure.

Takao

Banned
I traded in Metroid Prime, Super Monkey Ball 2, and The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition for this game.

No one can hate this game more than I do.

maxresdefault.jpg

I love how the menu confirmation sound is a fucking gunshot

Like, out of all the ways the game tries to be edgy, that's always the one thing that sends me into a fit of uncontrollable laughter

Those are warning shots. Stay far, far away.

I think the fandom started to change up sometime after SA2 Battle, where the series started to get a lot of newer fans thanks to the third-party exposure.

Basically. SA2 was the turning point for the series in a lot of ways.

Anyone remember sonic-anime.net? That was the main forum I went to before Shadow came out and I also visited a lot of Sonic fansites during that time. They were mostly civil but there was some underlying pessimism because things like the 3D games, Sonic X, the jump to multiplatform, and Shadow himself created some division. It wasn't that bad but it was a pretty standard mid-2000s internet community, relatively.

But really though, things really started to go to hell once Shadow and '06 came out and people either stuck around or jumped ship.

nns3d

This thread has me in tears.

I thought that the series couldn't go much lower than Shadow, but man was I wrong...

TheOGB

Banned
For balance purposes (and any excuse to pay tribute to tha gawd Hideki Naganuma), this thread also needs a Sonic Rush music appreciation post. Entire soundtrack incoming

Right There, Ride On
Back 2 Back
Jeh Jeh Rocket
Ska Cha Cha
What U Need
What U Need is Remix
Vela Nova
Wrapped in Black
TOO BLACK, TOO STRONG
A New Day
newdayayyhnsbq.gif

Metal Scratchin
Get Edgy (weird how this and Ethno Circus never got full soundtrack versions like the others)
Bomber Barbara
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33dNKYQVJio

Awwwww yeah, now THAT's the good stuff. <3

Hideki Naganuma actually made an arranged, CD-quality version of Ethno Circus! It was unreleased at first because they ran out of space on the OST but a while ago he ended up putting it out there officially on his soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/hideki-naganuma/ethno-circus-digital-remakin

Basically. SA2 was the turning point for the series in a lot of ways.

Anyone remember sonic-anime.net? That was the main forum I went to before Shadow came out and I also visited a lot of Sonic fansites during that time. They were mostly civil but there was some underlying pessimism because things like the 3D games, Sonic X, the jump to multiplatform, and Shadow himself created some division. It wasn't that bad but it was a pretty standard mid-2000s internet community, relatively.

But really though, things really started to go to hell once Shadow and '06 came out and people either stuck around or jumped ship.

SA2 and the anime created the new generation of a weird fanbase.

I joined the online Sonic fandom back when Sonic Adventure was released, going to The Sonic Foundation and Sonic HQ in particular, and I remember the environment being pretty good. There was some creepiness, I suppose, but it was mainly restricted to the SatAM cartoon and comic fans, as I recall, and I stayed away from the parts of boards dedicated to them. When Sonic Adventure 2 came out, I definitely recall a lot of people creeping on Rouge and such, but my favorite memories of forum RPs and group fics come from after its release.

I was going to say that I left the fandom shortly after Sonic Heroes came out, but that second post reminded me that I actually did continue posting on those forums all the way through the first 52 episodes of Sonic X (subbed). Oddly, not many people on those forums actually talked about it much.

I know for a fact that Shadow the Hedgehog came out after I broke my ties with the Sonic fandom, though that was more because activity at The Sonic Foundation died down so much. This probably does relate to the pessimism felt by people about the direction of the franchise and especially Sega going 3rd party, looking back. Even when Shadow came out, I thought it looked ridiculous and didn't even consider buying it. When Sonic 06 came out, I was salty that it didn't come out on the Gamecube (which I basically bought for Sonic Heroes) and thus was glad when it turned out to be shit.

It is amazing how much Sonic Adventure 2 changed things. At the time, it felt like Sega only had to make a few adjustments before they reached the perfect formula for Sonic games. Everyone was really interested in where they were going with the entire Ultimate Lifeform thing and the backstory of the Robotnik family, and I would often write down my ideas of what Sonic Adventure 3 would be like during class (instead of taking notes). Sega going third party soon afterward sent everything going down the drain for the fandom.

EDIT: Made myself sad looking for The Sonic Foundation, seeing it's no longer up, and then scouring the Internet Archive for old forum posts only to find that it doesn't have access to the forums after 2001.

My enjoyment of Shadow pretty much came and went with SA2. I knew his game was trash the minute I saw the ads for it, and only confirmed that when I tried out the game. Thank god I didn't pay any money for it.

utena

Banned
Funnily enough, I didn't buy this game as a kid when it came out, BECAUSE of the fact that Shadow uses guns. I thought it'd be a major pain to aim and shoot things while running fast.

Not the best logic, but the decision was the right one :)

I got this game when it came out, and oof. But it turned me off of future Sonic games entirely, so I was spared Sonic 06. So I guess there's that.

Thanks I guess?

I went back to playing Metroid Prime after that, since I got them at the same time. I feel bad for that person from the first page though, trading in the Zelda Collector's Edition. That's definitely a game I still treasure.

I didn't really care when I got this game, I just wanted a game with Shadow since young me was all edgy and cool. The opening is still pretty good.

you're an actual monster

I played a lot of Sonic back on my genesis while growing up. Have played nearly everyone multiple times and Shadow is unironically my favorite. I love it so much and being able to play it on PC since I don't have my gamecube or Wii hooked up anymore would be amazing.

Just think of all the mods!

daffy

Banned
I honestly had a good time with it. I watched the actual ending in YouTube of course. This was before I became the distinguished, discriminating and punished gamer that I am today.

Cody_D165

Banned
I fucking love this game.

It's the best kind of terrible.

A fucking anthropomorphic hedgehog, filled with teenage angst, who just so happens to be a foil for one of gaming's most beloved mascot characters, picks up a shit load of various weapons / vehicles and uses them to slaughter motherfucking aliens from outer space and murder human fucking soldiers while spewing PG13 tier profanity and destroying just about all of the shit in his general vicinity.

You just can't make that shit up.

Exodust

Banned
Ugh.

Say what you will about the Adventure games, this is where the franchise plunged into depths it couldn't come back from. And to think 06 was even worse.

I played this so much and I liked it. I have no idea if I'd hate it now, but it was really fun back then. I can't even remember how many times I replayed it, but it was easily 50 times.

I have to agree with Village.
Shadow was the best part of Sonic 06. The "rush" sections of the Sonic stages were absolute shit, and most of Silver's campaign was half-baked garbage. Shadow comes out ahead almost by default. I mean yeah his levels has the silly vehicles, but they can be ignored for the most part. Also, I liked that he could do a little combo after performing a homing attack. It made jumps easier to time. Can't remember well but Shadow's campaign might have been the least buggy too (not saying much at all).

Lord, I actually got most of the endings in Shadow The Hedgehog. It had some good moments of dumb fun. I forget which stage exactly, but one of the final stages is literally just room after room of GUN soldiers. There was always a minigun available, and due to all the good guys getting killed, Shadow could spam the Chaos Explosion non-stop.

One of my many gaming regrets is paying full price for both of those games. =(

chiimisu

For balance purposes (and any excuse to pay tribute to tha gawd Hideki Naganuma), this thread also needs a Sonic Rush music appreciation post. Entire soundtrack incoming

Right There, Ride On
Back 2 Back
Jeh Jeh Rocket
Ska Cha Cha
What U Need
What U Need is Remix
Vela-Nova
Wrapped in Black
TOO BLACK, TOO STRONG
A New Day
Metal Scratchin'
Get Edgy (weird how this and Ethno Circus never got full soundtrack versions like the others)
Bomber Barbara
Raisin' Me Up

Actually, back then when I was around 11-12 years old, I had Sonic Rush and Castlevania DoS as my only DS games for a couple of years. I replayed them over and over again because I had nothing else to play. But I always was eager to replay Rush because the music is sooooooo gooooood. It's really a crime they didn't hire Naganuma as Sonic composer before or after that!

Top Bottom