• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Having more fun with the Thousand year door than any other game released in the past year

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Something is wrong this generation. I am playing a 20 year old game, granted it has a new Paint job and looks and runs fantastic but should not be better than modern games. I can't put my finger on why but I pick up the controller and it puts me into a world of Joy. No DLC shoved up my ass, no long waivers to sign, no updates every other day, I just turn this game on and kinda forget the worries of the world for a bit. I don't know or care about the framerate or what resolution it runs at. All I know is it looks and runs great on my 65 inch oled tv. I guess the difference is that you can tell there was real love and care put into the development of this game. The ultimate goal was to make a great fun product. Now it's lets ass rape people for every nickle we can squeeze out of them. Granted there are still a few modern developers who still have the magic but the vast majority now is run by cold corporations. Politics aside, this is just a great experience I wish we saw more of this day and age. Ratchet and Clank a rift apart captures some of that magic but I guess they don't make things like they use too. I know I sound like an old man shaking a stick but look at how sales have struggled across the industry and the mass consumer have stopped spending nearly as much.

It’s a great get of a game. Hugely enjoying my time with it again on Switch. It feels like coming home again.

But yeah, like where are all the big games? What a disappointing year this is turning into so far.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Something is wrong this generation. I am playing a 20 year old game, granted it has a new Paint job and looks and runs fantastic but should not be better than modern games. I can't put my finger on why but I pick up the controller and it puts me into a world of Joy. No DLC shoved up my ass, no long waivers to sign, no updates every other day, I just turn this game on and kinda forget the worries of the world for a bit. I don't know or care about the framerate or what resolution it runs at. All I know is it looks and runs great on my 65 inch oled tv. I guess the difference is that you can tell there was real love and care put into the development of this game. The ultimate goal was to make a great fun product. Now it's lets ass rape people for every nickle we can squeeze out of them. Granted there are still a few modern developers who still have the magic but the vast majority now is run by cold corporations. Politics aside, this is just a great experience I wish we saw more of this day and age. Ratchet and Clank a rift apart captures some of that magic but I guess they don't make things like they use too. I know I sound like an old man shaking a stick but look at how sales have struggled across the industry and the mass consumer have stopped spending nearly as much.
the remake runs at half the framerate of the original and i'm not a fan of the new artstyle.

Not to mention how this is the most beloved Paper Mario title, Nintendo knows that because fans have been shouting about the newer titles inferiority for years, yet instead of making a brand new game modeled after it they decide to remake it for nostalgia points. It feels lame.

But whatever. I'm sure it's more entertaining than whatever the fuck was shown at that state of play- I beat the original a while ago and it's clear to see why it's revered.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I use to play old games but mostly 8th gen games for years now, then I played Bioshock 2 for first time last year and man, what an amazing and outstanding game it was compared to anything from the west these days. And that's supposed to be the worst of the trilogy.

There was this one thing that Sterling said a while ago that stuck to me, when they were reviewing Devil May Cry 5, and I'm going to paraphrase it, sorry. They said something along the lines that Devil May Cry 5 made them say "Man, video games!"

It's a vague feeling, but it means a lot. There are certain games that make you remember why you love video games to begin with. And maintain that feeling for its whole runtime.

And even though there are modern games I very much enjoyed, I can't think of a single one where I felt that recently.

This

6-1-9643-13.jpg

And this

91qvOgn+38L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Were two that in recent years (I played them recently, I mean), that gave me that feeling, more then any of the modern games I played (and enjoyed).

And it's a Dreamcast game, and Wonderful 101, which not an old game by any means, but it's also not MODERN.

You mentioned the "old man screaming at the clouds" thing that people bring up, but this is not about nostalgia or old and new. It shouldn't be.

I want modern games to succeed, and some do! But that feeling is very rare to come across, with every new game announced recently.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
It is all about the fun factor. The game has to be fun and Nintendo is very good at that.

The is a market for challenging games, but those don't tend to be fun.

tommib

Gold Member
I’m 7 hours in and I get you. It oozes quality and ingenuity. Even the environmental puzzles are clever and a level above what we see as standard from the big titles. Nintendo is just above at this point, really.

Robb

Gold Member
I mean, sure.. It’s an amazing game so that shouldn’t be surprising. I re-play ALttP almost yearly and most years it’s probably the best game I’ve played that year because it’s just the crème de la crème of video games.

I do agree that it’s nice to not get flooded with MTX, Season Passes, Expansions etc. etc. etc. though. But you get that with most Nintendo games.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I enjoyed the game on gc but one time was more than enough tbh.

I would hang my controller to the wall if retrogaming was the only thing left to enjoy in my hobby.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It’s the old Nintendo
Shia Labeouf Magic GIF

I tells yah.

Quake and Quake 2 are flipping great games still.

Classic Doom is still well a classic.
SMB3 and Super Mario world still holds up. The same with super Metroid

There are a lot of older games that still have that just one more go to it.

I think now it’s the way the design philosophy has changed that it ruining games. How can we get more moneys fr the consumer. Let’s shoehorn this part in. Add this

That and the budgets for the big games they have to get money back. So I feel gaming for the big AAA has gotten to safe.

I miss the days of Sega and Nintendo going HAM on creative ideas.

Oh a talking fish with a human head. Let’s do it.

Star fox via the Wii-U pad. Ok well give it a try.

Flip the table. Restart etc.

I feel indie games are pushing more creatively than big AAA titles

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Playing Darksiders 2 and I agree. Finished the first and now into the sequel and I don’t know what the hell is story is about but the gameplay is just fun.

That's because your playing one of the goats. You already know that we rarely get quality to that level anymore.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
the remake runs at half the framerate of the original and i'm not a fan of the new artstyle.

Not to mention how this is the most beloved Paper Mario title, Nintendo knows that because fans have been shouting about the newer titles inferiority for years, yet instead of making a brand new game modeled after it they decide to remake it for nostalgia points. It feels lame.

But whatever. I'm sure it's more entertaining than whatever the fuck was shown at that state of play- I beat the original a while ago and it's clear to see why it's revered.

After your comment I looked up a comparison video and upon squinting, I was able to find some differences in the graphics despite the art style being the same really?

And why does everyone bring up half FPS but forget to mention double the resolution?

Maybe we will get a new better style PM game for Switch 2, especially if this one succeeds. But it's better off not being trapped on GC and we're deep in last-legs-push-ports territory for Switch.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Cause. FPS is more important than resolution. Hence why more people own 1080p 120hz monitors than 4k60 monitors

FPS is more important than resolution in twitch action games on a small monitor. Not a Nintendo RPG that most people will plug into a dock to blow up on their 55" TV.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Another attention seeking thread for something you, YOURSELF, can remedy. Sample the endless ammount of good games and dip into new things as they come.

You don't all need to be held by the hand and need some therapy session to tell you how to enjoy your life more.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
FPS is more important than resolution in twitch action games on a small monitor. Not a Nintendo RPG that most people will plug into a dock to blow up on their 55" TV.
Don't most people play switch in portable mode? Either way past a certain point the gains offered by resolution are miniscule while a decent framerate boost will always impact gameplay for the better. Hence why everyone with a brain chooses performance mode over quality.

Not to mention TTYD still has many real time timing based elements dependent on frames.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Don't most people play switch in portable mode? Either way past a certain point the gains offered by resolution are miniscule while a decent framerate boost will always impact gameplay for the better. Hence why everyone with a brain chooses performance mode over quality.

Not to mention TTYD still has many real time timing based elements dependent on frames.

Running double resolution means having HD resolution. If it didn't, it would be Standard Def. In other words, Switch has to work harder than GC to run the game at a baseline acceptable res for contemporary standards But, this isn't taken into account that they weren't able to achieve a solid 60. It just "runs worse".

If your rebuttal is that FPS always is more valuable. Surely you must agree there is a point of diminishing returns. If you think it's worth playing at standard def for 60FPS you need to play your GC copy on a CRT. But the Switch obviously can't get away with running it at resolutions that low, it would be unacceptable.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
After your comment I looked up a comparison video and upon squinting, I was able to find some differences in the graphics despite the art style being the same really?
to address this, the remake feels too overblown with graphical effects and other junk like screen space reflections and god rays which are just downright unfitting in a Paper Mario game meant to look like a storybook-cardboard paper suns do not emit actual light. It genuinely looks like someone took the original Gamecube game and slapped a ReShade Raytracing filter over it and somehow people think that graphical "upgrade" is worth taking over 60fps.

They do all this shit too to offset the fact that compared to the original, all the textures look flat and unappealing like i'm looking at vertex colors instead of actual textures. Nothing has any detail or hard colors and edges anymore, and the game just looks overly bright. Areas with unique vibes or interesting art design (like Twilight Town in Chapter 4) lose their style in favor of looking all bright and overly lit and shaded- the only area in the game I've seen benefit from this new artstyle change would be the Boggly Woods because that area in the original game already intended to look quite bright and twilight to begin with.

I feel like this image best illustrates my problems with the new visual additions

medium-4a1be99808d55887d0e41d179573743b.jpg

It feels like they slapped the new Paper Mario artstyle onto an old game without figuring out why Origami King/Color Splash's art design works in those games and why TTYD's original art design works in its game. It's the first time in history where I felt that a graphical "upgrade" harms the artstyle of the game and I typically defend stuff like this.
the weird fake nostalgia trend needs to stop. It's a "you" problem if you can't find something fun other than a remaster nowadays, there are plenty of amazing games that came recently especially in that genre
People keep saying this shit, then you hit them with newer, great RPGs and then they're just like "nah those just aren't as good as the classics" then fail to elaborate or really do anything beyond dodging the conversation. It's lame.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
to address this, the remake feels too overblown with graphical effects and other junk like screen space reflections and god rays which are just downright unfitting in a Paper Mario game meant to look like a storybook-cardboard paper suns do not emit actual light. It genuinely looks like someone took the original Gamecube game and slapped a ReShade Raytracing filter over it and somehow people think that graphical "upgrade" is worth taking over 60fps.

They do all this shit too to offset the fact that compared to the original, all the textures look flat and unappealing like i'm looking at vertex colors instead of actual textures. Nothing has any detail or hard colors and edges anymore, and the game just looks overly bright. Areas with unique vibes or interesting art design (like Twilight Town in Chapter 4) lose their style in favor of looking all bright and overly lit and shaded- the only area in the game I've seen benefit from this new artstyle change would be the Boggly Woods because that area in the original game already intended to look quite bright and twilight to begin with.

I feel like this image best illustrates my problems with the new visual additions

medium-4a1be99808d55887d0e41d179573743b.jpg

It feels like they slapped the new Paper Mario artstyle onto an old game without figuring out why Origami King/Color Splash's art design works in those games and why TTYD's original art design works in its game. It's the first time in history where I felt that a graphical "upgrade" harms the artstyle of the game and I typically defend stuff like this.

People keep saying this shit, then you hit them with newer, great RPGs and then they're just like "nah those just aren't as good as the classics" then fail to elaborate or really do anything beyond dodging the conversation. It's lame.

Well I can respect having an opinion one way or another about the art style change because that does show there IS a big difference. That tree for example looks way different and is using way more polygons. I mean if keeping the old style and effects meant also keeping 60 FPS, then we got a bad trade.

Every year great games are getting released. Thankfully we have new AND old games to check out to see what clicks best for us.

I can't for when in the next 20 years people start bitching how "games today suck" compared to when they played fortnite.

Alan Wake

This gen hasn't brought much as far as gameplay innovation goes. Games also look basically as PS4 games. Hellblade II is stunning but no fun to play. Luckily we have Astro Bot to look forward to.

Sleepwalker

Im glad you're enjoying this masterpiece. Youre welcome to post in the OT for it.

I agree with your OP as well, its just such a fun charming game with no BS.

Glad you're enjoying it! It's one of my all time favorites. It's what happens when you put fun and personality at the forefront of your dev cycle, and let a smaller focused team iterate on a successful concept.

Hypereides

Gold Member
You know, I've noticed I'm getting more attracted to "crude" looking games these days. Like, games that may look sorta modest compared to new graphical fidelity and without major production values. But, man if they don't ignite something in me. They manage to tickle my imagination moreso than any extravagant AAA+ have in recent time.

Generally, my spending has moved towards mid-budget/AA and indie games which match games with principles and aesthetics of yesteryear.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022

I would of never known that until you told me. The game runs smooth as butter with no slowdown I have experienced. It does not have that 30fps kinda slowness that most modern games suffer from.

Top Bottom