• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door Remake | Review Thread

Chapter 3 of TTYD one of my favorite video games levels, ever. It's so simple in concept but so well executed in practice I kept coming back to it years and years later!

It mixes things up and does a great job playing with the fighting tournament trope. Introduces one of the most memorable side characters in Mario RPG history.

You know, i didn’t realize it but I have not played the original either.

In fact I missed out on all the paper Mario games start to finish except Super Paper Mario for the Wii lol.

I am a huge fan of the Mario & Luigi games though, and have been loving Super Mario RPG remake so far (another game I never played previously - but I started gaming during the n64/ps1 era)

Oh dude, you gotta play it, you'd love it. You don't need to play them in order, but it would feel like a step backward going from TTYD to the original.

Buggy Loop

30 fps

Monday Night Raw Reaction GIF by WWE

Banjo64

cumsessed
Never played a Paper Mario game. Might be the last major Nintendo franchise I’ve never tried. Think I’ll grab this soon.

You know, i didn’t realize it but I have not played the original either.

In fact I missed out on all the paper Mario games start to finish except Super Paper Mario for the Wii lol.
I had only played Super Paper Mario as well, but this winter I played through Paper Mario on an N64 and it was fantastic. One of the best games I have ever played, quite honestly. It certainly makes Super Paper Mario look very weak in comparison.

I have Thousand Year Door for GameCube waiting for me to finish Tales of Symphonia. Yeah, I don't tolerate these remakes that cut the framerate is half, thank you.

Last edited:

nordique

It mixes things up and does a great job playing with the fighting tournament trope. Introduces one of the most memorable side characters in Mario RPG history.

Oh dude, you gotta play it, you'd love it. You don't need to play them in order, but it would feel like a step backward going from TTYD to the original.

I think it’s on switch online expansion pass….ill have to check it out.

nordique

I had only played Super Paper Mario as well, but this winter I played through Paper Mario on an N64 and it was fantastic. One of the best games I have ever played, quite honestly. It certainly makes Super Paper Mario look very weak in comparison.

I have Thousand Year Door for GameCube waiting for me to finish Tales of Symphonia. Yeah, I don't tolerate these remakes that cut the framerate is half, thank you.
Sounds good

I loved the Mario and Luigi games especially the gba one and the last ds one and it’s bowser so the Mario rpg style games I love - unique humour

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Sad shit when no one here is even playing it yet

Im stuck at work til 6 and off tomorrow so Im planning to be balls deep for the night

kiphalfton

Gold Member
I guess I don't understand the point of these remaster review threads. It's going to get the same score (or let's be honest a better score, due to the current state of gaming) than the original.

It's like the "Remaster/Remake has been rated by ESRB" threads...

Zero surprises.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I guess I don't understand the point of these remaster review threads. It's going to get the same score (or let's be honest a better score, due to the current state of gaming) than the original.

It's like the "Remaster/Remake has been rated by ESRB" threads...

Zero surprises.

Unless youre lame ass IGN and rate the remaster lower than the original, even though you say in your review that all the changes make it better 🤡🤡

KXVXII9X

I just started playing and it runs fine. 60 FPS is really nice and would definitely see a difference, but I would take consistent 30 FPS any day over unstable 60 FPS with framerate dips and weird microstutters.

I can already tell I will have a lot of fun with this game. Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga is my favorite Nintendo game and never got a chance to play a Paper Mario game back in the day.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I went ahead and bought it. I think the game should have been cheaper.

For some reason, it will take 2 days to get it.

I might as well popped down to the store and got it.

rkofan87

Gold Member

i know fans hate it but i love spm i will take a remaster of that.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It's more than one altered line though, Goombette getting catcalled was too much for current day localizers as well. :messenger_winking_tongue:
Ugh, I hadn't seen that change yet.

It was a perfectly normal bit of comedy. Changing that kind of thing--which obsessing over aligning the crossdresser with trans language--already tells me too much about this remake, lost all interest in it permanently.

Let's hope this doesn't infest other titles. Even Mario cartoon comedy is apparently impossible now.

rkofan87

Gold Member
The censorship is annoying because it takes the zing out the original script.

They also took out the chalk outline of a dead Toad.

That was a good joke.
wow i should have waited for this one the big n effed this one up big time oh well if you still have it gaf pass on this hack job a keep the gc og.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Ugh, I hadn't seen that change yet.

It was a perfectly normal bit of comedy. Changing that kind of thing--which obsessing over aligning the crossdresser with trans language--already tells me too much about this remake, lost all interest in it permanently.

Let's hope this doesn't infest other titles. Even Mario cartoon comedy is apparently impossible now.
Yeah if they are censoring stuff too I might pass on this, I still have the gamecube game anywho.

tommib

Gold Member
Just got my pre-order and it came with a super nice key ring. Game is adorable. Didn’t play it back in the day on the GameCube. It was hard to find and super expensive.

The humour already made me giggle a couple of times.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I'm good with my old GC copy but I don't think it's completely outrageous it's only 30FPS either. I don't want to be too apologist here, but Switch is an aging handheld running it at double the resolution of GC with a few visual upgrades. I do agree it kinda sucks, I'd rather play it on a CRT at 60FPS than a HDTV at 900p/30. Here's the thing though, if all I have is a HD set like most living rooms, the resolution is more valuable, especially for a RPG.

I heard something about there being code in the game for 4k even though the title doesn't support it, leading to more conjecture about Switch 2. If it has BC with a free patch imagine the songs of praise that will be sung about Nintendo, but that seems like a remote possibility lol

Gambit2483

PSA: Just to remind everyone, if you want to play this game in pseudo 60fps, and have an OLED TV, you can turn the Tru Motion feature on. Yea yea, it's not "real 60fps" but it looks great and works (mostly) for me, especially with a non graphically intense game like this. I would at least give it a shot and see what you think.

Last edited:
Is the US physical version of this supposed to be somewhat limited?

I don't think so, but it's confusing because a bunch of online retailers cancelled all their orders. Nintendo doesn't make it easy to understand. Super Mario 3D All-Stars was supposed to be a limited release, but physical copies were plentiful for a while. Metroid Prime Remastered seemed limited, but I don't think there were any issues there after the initial preorder sellout. I decided to not take chances and just purchase, even though I normally wait for sales. Costco has it for $50 and I don't think it would go lower than $40 no matter what, plus buying at launch shows support for traditional Mario RPGs and we need Nintendo to pls understand how much people love them.

Guys I really wanna replay this great game. But those awful localizers pissing on the original story with trash like the removed chalk outline, turning Japanese crossdressing ghosts into American transgender ghosts and removing goomba catcalls sucks.

I'm sure I'll be fine if the story is 95% intact, but what if those are just examples of the state of the whole script? What if it's more butchered the further you go? Am I gonna be walking along and a party member will say "you know Mario, people who point out how everyone is oppressed and starving under communism are actually just big meanies. We should totally edit the wikipedia pages of any examples they cite for the greater good. And you kids at home should do that too. Don't tell mommy and daddy!(wink)"

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I can’t tell if it’s my random replays over the past 20 years or the “more forgiving” response time with the 30fps but I’ve been crushing it

Current badge loadout and about to head to Glitzville

2D06LBg.jpeg
7nuNuPp.jpeg

Top Bottom