• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door Remake | Review Thread

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Too bad it's not available anywhere in the US. Amazon hasn't even put it up for sale. Only see pre-orders on Target and Best Buy to ship on 23rd. I'm hoping to see it physically at the store tomorrow, and I'll buy for pickup. Not sure what Nintendo's issue is. Endless Ocean wasn't available either.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Rollin digital as always. Have owned a copy of the OG for years.

Anyone here firing it up at midnight?

And who the FUCK is doing the OT?

lY8RjuL.gif

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I'd be fine with the trans stuff if it wasn't a mario game, stop brainwashing our kids (which is exactly what these nutjobs are celebrating).
Localization bs, rather than core Nintendo being involved.

There's an absolutely idiotic tendency here to retcon any kind of cross-dressing character into "trans" identity, even for historical figures (even some historical women who cross-dressed for strategic reasons to access a profession etc, lol).

I'll just play the original at 60fps on my CRT and avoid this politically retconned nonsense. But I don't blame Nintendo for this... outsourced localization is going to give you content as stupid as the country in which you reside, and unfortuantely that's the state of American/European localization since that's the sad state of our cultures at this moment.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Banned
So for someone looking to try Mario RPGs for the 1st time, should I go for this or the Super Mario RPG remake?

Probably gonna be playing on Switch in portable mode.
I should have been more forceful. I am crazy about Super Mario RPG, the atmosphere is just so perfect. I have only played a bit of TTYD. The of Paper Mario is just pretty good, but TTYD is so universally praised that I am looking forward to picking it up.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Went from 60fps to 30fps, and supposedly made Vivian trans instead of a femboy? Sounds more like a Demake. But it's Nintendo, so they get a pass.

Nah. Plenty of us are calling it out for the BS in this thread. But there has been a long ongoing lie that Vivian has always been trans so many folks don’t know the reality. Wikis have been edited, people (not on GAF) are banned for stating the truth, etc.

No different than the situation with AC and Yasuke as a handful of people try to twist facts and truth into suggesting that the retainer who was with Nobunaga for a handful of months truly was a samurai in all but name.

Sadly these nut jobs have control of places like Wikipedia and are actively trying to rewrite history for their ideological cult.

I'd be fine with the trans stuff if it wasn't a mario game, stop brainwashing our kids (which is exactly what these nutjobs are celebrating).
Vivian was not trans. He was a cross dresser.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

There's an absolutely idiotic tendency here to retcon any kind of cross-dressing character into "trans" identity, even for historical figures (even some historical women who cross-dressed for strategic reasons to access a profession etc, lol).

I'll just play the original at 60fps on my CRT and avoid this politically retconned nonsense. But I don't blame Nintendo for this... outsourced localization is going to give you content as stupid as the country in which you reside, and unfortuantely that's the state of American/European localization since that's the sad state of our cultures at this moment.

Yep. even seeing dipshits try to claim that calamity Jane was actually a trans man of the era who was gay. Neither of which are true.

clem84

Gold Member

I'm curious as to how this is handled in this new game. Is the character actually referred to as "trans" in the game's dialogue, or are people just assuming he is?

Ulysses 31

Running at 900p 30 fps like BOTW/TOTK. It's surprising that couldn't get 60 fps with the static world and 2D sprites. 👀

Sticking with GC version with USB Loader GX and RetroTink 4K enhancements.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I'm curious as to how this is handled in this new game. Is the character actually referred to as "trans" in the game's dialogue, or are people just assuming he is?

They dont actually drop the "t" word. It's one line of dialogue where's she's like "It took me awhile to realize Im their sis, not their bro. And the bullying sucks." That's it.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
They dont actually drop the "t" word. It's one line of dialogue where's she's like "It took me awhile to realize Im their bro, not their sis. And the bullying sucks." That's it.
vivian-1716311385165.jpg

So instead of being a crossdresser character, this is ideologically altered to align with the recent trans ideology of "actually I'm truly their sister / female, even though I had the male sex incorrectly assigned me at birth." This is very different from being a boy who dresses up; this is the much more recent ideology of having an inner gender identity irrespective of your body.

EDIT: actually I'm seeing reports that this line was added and altered in the Japanese of the remake as well (an entirely new line in the Japanese was added which is more carefully aligned with trans identity bs) so we can blame Nintendo for it, not just the localization teams :messenger_neutral: Or more accurately: they had a crossdressing character in the original game as part of the humor, but now when they remake it, even in Japan the pressure is high to adjust and not offend anyone, and to make it seem more like a "trans" identity.

Last edited:

Hugare

Just got through watching that, and was very surprised to hear him say at the end of the video that 30fps was probably the best choice.
'Cause better locked 30 than going from 60 to 30. Consistency is always preferable.

Running at 900p 30 fps like BOTW/TOTK. It's surprising that couldn't get 60 fps with the static world and 2D sprites. 👀

Sticking with GC version with USB Loader GX and RetroTink 4K enhancements.
The game is way more hardware intensive than some might believe

It's already being pirated, and I've read reports saying that with unlocked framerate, its nowhere near a locked 60 in hardware way more powerful than the Switch. Even on Handheld mode.

Their lighting system is probably very, very heavy on the hardware. It would run nowhere near a stable 60 on the Switch.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
vivian-1716311385165.jpg

So instead of being a crossdresser character, this is ideologically altered to align with the recent trans ideology of "actually I'm truly their sister / female, even though I had the male sex incorrectly assigned me at birth." This is very different from being a boy who dresses up; this is the much more recent ideology of having an inner gender identity irrespective of your body.

EDIT: actually I'm seeing reports that this line was added and altered in the Japanese of the remake as well (an entirely new line in the Japanese was added which is more carefully aligned with trans identity bs) so we can blame Nintendo for it, not just the localization teams :messenger_neutral: Or more accurately: they had a crossdressing character in the original game as part of the humor, but now when they remake it, even in Japan the pressure is high to adjust and not offend anyone, and to make it seem more like a "trans" identity.
Yep. Complete idiocy.

Sadly, we are already seeing the host of mentally deranged folks coming out and defending this nonsense.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
vivian-1716311385165.jpg

Honestly it's difficult to understand the motivation behind this. If the character would've remained a cross dresser, who would be offended by that? Is there really a social movement in Japan that pressures company to have more trans representation?? That would be news to me.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

vivian-1716311385165.jpg

Mental Illness Wins! (And loses at the same time 🤡)

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Honestly it's difficult to understand the motivation behind this. If the character would've remained a cross dresser, who would be offended by that? Is there really a social movement in Japan that pressures company to have more trans representation?? That would be news to me.
Americans and ExPats.

Also there is a contingent in the lgbt community that tries to gaslight any cross dressers as being the same as a trans person who hasn’t come out.

rkofan87

Gold Member

i think she was trans in j p as well i am wrong?

Good grief, Charlie Brown! Who gives a shit what he/she/it is or isn't, or if it was changed from a double crosser... I mean cross dresser or a man/woman/door knob?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It's more than one altered line though, Goombette getting catcalled was too much for current day localizers as well. :messenger_winking_tongue:

You mean Goombella? A stickler for the dialogue yet cant get character names right. Makes sense :messenger_winking_tongue:

Also I dont really give a shit. The game has thousands of lines of dialogue. Im not some autist that remembers every single one. I wouldn't have even noticed had they not been brought up ad nauseum.

keefged4

What have they done to it? Tried to make it more cinematic or something? :messenger_winking_tongue:

I'm sticking to the GC version for my first playthrough.
Ruined it with a mass inclusion of trumpets which Nintendo seem to have done with a lot of games over the last few years. It sounds far too overproduced and doesn't have the same impact as the original.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You mean Goombella? A stickler for the dialogue yet cant get character names right. Makes sense :messenger_winking_tongue:

Also I dont really give a shit. The game has thousands of lines of dialogue. Im not some autist that remembers every single one. I wouldn't have even noticed had they not been brought up ad nauseum.

You clearly do considering you have been trying to silence any discussion about the changes.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
You clearly do considering you have been trying to silence any discussion about the changes.

Im not trying to silence anything lol talk all the shit you want. Doesnt mean I wont have an opinion about it.

Believe me I hate forced pandering and tranny shit as much as the next guy, but for whatever reason the stuff here just doesnt bother me

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Don't see how that changes you trying to minimize the writing changes in the new version.
How many grains make a heap? If I don't care about the small changes, it will weaken my position once they do change something not so small.

New original games can have all the DEI friendly things without it bothering me since that's not messing with other's people's work.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Don't see how that changes you trying to minimize the writing changes in the new version

Trying to? I AM minimizing it lol

But hey, do you and stick it to The Man and have fun playing the 20 year old version while we all live in the now (as shitty as it is) :messenger_fistbump:

GametimeUK

I honestly think Nintendo just inadvertently made a trans character back in the day. It was a joke character in Japan. A boy that thought he was a girl. That is my interpretation of it for sure, but over time people could connect it to modern "gender identity politics". I don't for one second think that Nintendo set out with the mindset of "let's make a trans character". But a guy who calls himself a woman, dresses like a woman, has a woman's name etc.

They should have just translated the original Japanese text and be done with it so its faithful to the original. But yeah, they've added the dialogue to further nail home the point and it's just unnecessary pandering in my opinion. We don't need it spelling out for us.

(Edit) that was just my take on the discussion / comments in here regarding the gender.

To be more on topic with the video. 30fps sucks, but the graphics are nice. Should be a decent handheld mode playthrough on Oled. It looks beautiful.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Don't see how that changes you trying to minimize the writing changes in the new version.

How many grains make a heap? If I don't care about the small changes, it will weaken my position once they do change something not so small.

New original games can have all the DEI friendly things without it bothering me since that's not messing with other's people's work.
I don’t get it. If someone didn’t care, they wouldn’t be constantly trying to silence/minimize/dismiss the topic.

Ulysses 31

I don’t get it. If someone didn’t care, they wouldn’t be constantly trying to silence/minimize/dismiss the topic.
If I were to play devil's advocate for him: I think he sees us like hardcore vegans telling how bad eating meat is every time we talk about food. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
If I were to play devil's advocate for him: I think he sees us like hardcore vegans telling how bad eating meat is every time we talk about food. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Not exactly.

Like most everyone else Im tired as fuck about the changes or censoring happening in games and the subsequent tears afterwards on both sides. Its just the same cyclical responses over and over again and it just gets boring to me, despite destroying the hobby (no offense to anyone here since you guys more often than not make good arguments).

TTYD is in my top 20 of all time and yet for whatever reason I just dont give a rats about the minimal changes in what some characters say. I dont care that Vivian is trans since Ive thought she was for the past 20 years. I remember that hot topic being discussed back in like, '05. If anything Im bugged by the addition of the "pipe room"and what they're going to do with the original chapter travel pipes in the sewers. Like are the ones that were in the original still there? Or has it been replaced with enemies or something else? Or if they're going to fuck around with badge placement around the world. Those are the issues I take umbrage with. The unanswered questions lol :messenger_grinning_squinting:

GametimeUK

Not exactly.

Like most everyone else Im tired as fuck about the changes or censoring happening in games and the subsequent tears afterwards on both sides. Its just the same cyclical responses over and over again and it just gets boring to me, despite destroying the hobby (no offense to anyone here since you guys more often than not make good arguments).

TTYD is in my top 20 of all time and yet for whatever reason I just dont give a rats about the minimal changes in what some characters say. I dont care that Vivian is trans since Ive thought she was for the past 20 years. I remember that hot topic being discussed back in like, '05. If anything Im bugged by the addition of the "pipe room"and what they're going to do with the original chapter travel pipes in the sewers. Like are the ones that were in the original still there? Or has it been replaced with enemies or something else? Or if they're going to fuck around with badge placement around the world. Those are the issues I take umbrage with. The unanswered questions lol :messenger_grinning_squinting:
WRONG ANSWER

You must either be outraged about the gender politics or applaud them. You're either woke or a nazi. You can't sit on the fence here. Which is it?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Not exactly.

That is completely fair. For me though, a JRPG is at its best with the narrative and I felt that TYYD had one of the best with highly comedic moments in its original Japanese release. They kept most of that in the English port initially, minus the whole Vivian situation.

However many of the best jokes and situations have been altered and changed in the new translation, as well as being forcibly changed in the Japanese release.

Paper Mario is just average gameplay, but its writing is what kept me coming back. So seeing the writing take a hit in the worst ways (IMO) pushes me away.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
That is completely fair. For me though, a JRPG is at its best with the narrative and I felt that TYYD had one of the best with highly comedic moments in its original Japanese release. They kept most of that in the English port initially, minus the whole Vivian situation.

However many of the best jokes and situations have been altered and changed in the new translation, as well as being forcibly changed in the Japanese release.

Paper Mario is just average gameplay, but its writing is what kept me coming back. So seeing the writing take a hit in the worst ways (IMO) pushes me away.

I guess it really just depends on the game for me. Like if Chrono Trigger gets remade and they mess with the writing Ill have a fucking coronary.

Last edited:
I don't think you understand what I was saying. I meant that I looked at the review thread for this on that other site and instead of anyone talking about how good the game actually is all they are talking about and celebrating is the trans character.

Ah yeah totally misread your post, now I get it. That is just sad.

Top Bottom