• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2's peak CCU outperformed Bleeding Edge and is still climbing on Steam

Kataploom

Gold Member
You seriously can’t be this ignorant. You were talking about gamepass metrics and I gave you a link about an ms executive praising Hi-Fi Rush’s metrics.
You are srsly not understanding what I'm saying, reading comprehension escapes you right now, IDK if you're just trying to see my arguments as a "pro Xbox fanboy" or whatever (spoiler alert, I've never owned an Xbox) so you don't see how my narrative fits that of yours. But whatever, I'll explain you quickly a last time: Exactly the fact that MS said Hi-Fi Rush was a total success is the reason why I think Tango closure has to do with something else but performance, the fact that Mikami Shinji and Ikumi Nakamura left the studio, and that probably more people left with both could be a reason, I can't find the quotation but it was on X around the Tango closure news about Phil Spencer saying they only close studios due to "leadership leaving or underperformance". If that's not clear enough for you just don't try to understand, some things can be too much.

Katapoom's "what does it's" made me rethink everything. I love Xbox now and I beleive in Phil Spencer. In Phil Spencer we trust!
Not echoing the imaginary toys war bs = Enemy from the other side.
Gotcha.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
What does it have to do with HB2 performance on Steam?
...and Xbox

for this:
For me Tango closure had to do with something else but studio performance
+
MS, they're focused on Game Pass and that's all they care about

we have 4 statements/narratives:

From Booty:
1. They killed tango/arkane to focus on Big IPs
2. They were not having anything in the pipeline. they just pitched games.
3. We want smaller prestigious award-winning games.

From Sarah Bond:
4. the killed studios for the health of the business, to secure Xbox is there in the future. games take longer and are more expensive and the industry is not growing.

HB2 being a flop or a success is irrelevant...you are right. The doom and gloom is coming from this uncertainly. Being a successful studio inside MS is not a guarantee of anything.

NOW:

if we take Booty´s statements:
1. Is HB2 a big IP? Numbers say no, when is performing worse than hi-fi and even red fall....let that sink in.
2. NT just released a game....what do they have in the pipeline? I know jez corden said they greenlit a project...Thats Damage Control. Studios after realising a game go on vacation for several weeks.
3. like...Hi-Fi rush? it won several awards.

now sarah bond´s
5. Hellblade's use of mo-cap, photogrammetry, and focus on hyperrealism makes it more expensive than Hi-Fi...and look at how long it took to developed for a 5 hour game...no bueno for Game Pass.

so.
What does it have to do with HB2 performance on Steam?
basically everything.

Kataploom

Gold Member
...and Xbox

for this:

+

we have 4 statements/narratives:

From Booty:
1. They killed tango/arkane to focus on Big IPs
2. They were not having anything in the pipeline. they just pitched games.
3. We want smaller prestigious award-winning games.

From Sarah Bond:
4. the killed studios for the health of the business, to secure Xbox is there in the future. games take longer and are more expensive and the industry is not growing.

HB2 being a flop or a success is irrelevant...you are right. The doom and gloom is coming from this uncertainly. Being a successful studio inside MS is not a guarantee of anything.

NOW:

if we take Booty´s statements:
1. Is HB2 a big IP? Numbers say no, when is performing worse than hi-fi and even red fall....let that sink in.
2. NT just released a game....what do they have in the pipeline? I know jez corden said they greenlit a project...Thats Damage Control. Studios after realising a game go on vacation for several weeks.
3. like...Hi-Fi rush? it won several awards.

now sarah bond´s
5. Hellblade's use of mo-cap, photogrammetry, and focus on hyperrealism makes it more expensive than Hi-Fi...and look at how long it took to developed for a 5 hour game...no bueno for Game Pass.

so.

basically everything.
Nah, I don't agree, maybe you end up being right anyway, but as far as I see it, as their focus is Game Pass, they definitely are not expecting profits from game sales to be too big if any, that would be too much self-sabotaging and completely against their Game Pass focus approach, that's doesn't make sense to me.

I'd agree that having seen it's not working, they should just remove Game Pass or limit it to older releases tho, time will tell.

demigod

You are srsly not understanding what I'm saying, reading comprehension escapes you right now, IDK if you're just trying to see my arguments as a "pro Xbox fanboy" or whatever (spoiler alert, I've never owned an Xbox) so you don't see how my narrative fits that of yours. But whatever, I'll explain you quickly a last time: Exactly the fact that MS said Hi-Fi Rush was a total success is the reason why I think Tango closure has to do with something else but performance, the fact that Mikami Shinji and Ikumi Nakamura left the studio, and that probably more people left with both could be a reason, I can't find the quotation but it was on X around the Tango closure news about Phil Spencer saying they only close studios due to "leadership leaving or underperformance". If that's not clear enough for you just don't try to understand, some things can be too much.

Not echoing the imaginary toys war bs = Enemy from the other side.
Gotcha.
No, we understood you. Nothing to do with your insults and “reading comprehension”. You just can’t accept it when faced with facts.

Shinji was going to leave anyways and he didn’t direct their latest games. Ikumi left when Ghostwire wasn’t even finished. You went thru all that and couldn’t even write John Johanas who directed TEW 2 and Hi-Fi Rush. Did Platinum Games die when Mikami and ikumi left them? Congrats on being ignorant I guess.

Oppoi

Nah, I don't agree, maybe you end up being right anyway, but as far as I see it, as their focus is Game Pass, they definitely are not expecting profits from game sales to be too big if any, that would be too much self-sabotaging and completely against their Game Pass focus approach, that's doesn't make sense to me.

I'd agree that having seen it's not working, they should just remove Game Pass or limit it to older releases tho, time will tell.
One does not simply remove Game Pass...

Last edited:
Welcome to the jungle.

True, but this is a horrible precedent that Microsoft has set forth. Some suit up top decides, despite critical acclaim that it didn't hit some kind of arbitrary comparison to CoD sales, so it's the axe.

One thing isn't posited here(or maybe it has been) is how quickly Microsoft will pivot and put it on PlayStation as part of their new initiative. The speed of that could give indication of how much they are in need of sales.

I just don't want Microsoft to pull a Hi-Fi with these studios..grind up and release a Game Pass game, quick chuck it onto another system(PS/Switch 2) squeeze a bit more juice from the fruit and toss them in the can.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member

You just opened another can of worms. But yeah....Time will tell

Oppoi

I just don't want Microsoft to pull a Hi-Fi with these studios..grind up and release a Game Pass game, quick chuck it onto another system(PS/Switch 2) squeeze a bit more juice from the fruit and toss them in the can.
Me neither, but hey, it's up to Microsoft and well. It's Microsoft...

JCreasy

gary coleman wtf GIF

Kataploom

Gold Member
I am in the “playing the game right now” stage.

It is one of the best melee combat systems in a Western made game. I am puzzled by nonsense spreading on the internet.

I don't think it's "the best" but I really enjoyed it.

Someone on X posted (and Ninja Theory CM reposted) that you can time focus axes when you're about to get hit (kinda like parry but using focus instead) and Senua will catch it mid air and throw it back.

I don't think it's "the best" but I really enjoyed it.

Someone on X posted (and Ninja Theory CM reposted) that you can time focus axes when you're about to get hit (kinda like parry but using focus instead) and Senua will catch it mid air and throw it back.
Its good cause it requires very high level of precision to parry. Evade here is not a whole bunch of iframes and you have to time that properly as well.

Most western melee games I play are kinda imprecise, sloppy, with a whole bunch of iframes.

Enemy animations are also lengthy, it conveys the type of attacks incoming.

I have literally zero complaints. Except, it needs above average amounts of effort to get good. Fights are over by then.

I actually don't know if you're trolling or not.

Self quoting myself. 👇

I would like to hear issues people have with it.

Only thing is, it doesn’t demand you to get good, you can get through it on easy difficulty without perfect parries.

But I am addicted to perfect parry in this game cause feedback game gives you.

Its good cause it requires very high level of precision to parry. Evade here is not a whole bunch of iframes and you have to time that properly as well.

Most western melee games I play are kinda imprecise, sloppy, with a whole bunch of iframes.

Enemy animations are also lengthy, it conveys the type of attacks incoming.

I have literally zero complaints. Except, it needs above average amounts of effort to get good. Fights are over by then.

Self quoting myself. 👇

Only thing is, it doesn’t demand you to get good, you can get through it on easy difficulty without perfect parries.

There's nothing difficult about hard mode. There's nothing difficult about parrying. You can get slapped around repeatedly on hard and still won't die. You have to be REALLLY shit to actually fail.

Last edited:

Reckheim

Self quoting myself. 👇

you're describing a literal quick time event masked as 'combat' .

Yeh, getting a quick time parry is pretty hard but even just a regular block doesn't really have any negative connotations. oo, you failed; try again; and again; and again until you get the finishing move animation.

To each their own I quess. To me the combat was so simplistic that it was boring. Every time I would enter combat I'd look forward to the sequence ending.

I much preferred the combat in the first game where you actually had to use your brain with multiple enemies; making sure you don't get surrounded. A sense of danger adds a lot.

There's nothing difficult about hard mode. There's nothing difficult about parrying.
vJcl2PF.jpeg

you're describing a literal quick time event masked as 'combat' .

Yeh, getting a quick time parry is pretty hard but even just a regular block doesn't really have any negative connotations. oo, you failed; try again; and again; and again until you get the finishing move animation.

To each their own I quess. To me the combat was so simplistic that it was boring. Every time I would enter combat I'd look forward to the sequence ending.

I much preferred the combat in the first game where you actually had to use your brain with multiple enemies; making sure you don't get surrounded. A sense of danger adds a lot.
Yeah, game allows you to win without playing it well. I can see that as being an issue.

I am coming from Wo Long in this. Parry timing here is tighter. And gives you same feedback am addicted to it.

I mostly play as perfect parry or nothing in this game. Feels great to get all the moves correctly.

Astray

People in this thread telling others that they have nothing but speculation is hilarious for 2 reasons:

1) Microsoft never releases any official figures, so all we can ever have is speculation.

2) Said speculation still turned out to be true on almost every other issue surrounding MS and Xbox.

Thread on the purple asylum saying the highest estimate for Steam sales based on player count is 60k.

That sounds too low to me, but that’s one shockingly bad figure.
Probably inflated.

Bungie

I am in the “playing the game right now” stage.

It is one of the best melee combat systems in a Western made game. I am puzzled by nonsense spreading on the internet.

Truly addicting, while it can feel like a lot of people are saying this nonsense, there's a lot more out there that love so many aspects of this game, majority of gamers just don't feel the need to come onto twitter, here or anywhere else to share the love. For instance my entire circle of friends and family are in awe by this game & none of this nonsense the people repeat about it changed that.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Self quoting myself. 👇

And just like that, you defeated your own argument. A combat system that doesn’t increase in depth and complexity is awful. You should always be learning and adjusting on a path to mastery.

Just because you like the parry animation doesn’t mean that the combat system is worth anything. In fact, the combat has to be incredibly simplistic and dumbed down to enable its cinematic nature.

I mostly play as perfect parry or nothing in this game. Feels great to get all the moves correctly.
I am not at your level, but I do give myself some challenges in games that I love, like in Resident Evil games I try to make encounters with few if not no shot wasted, all in the head, stuff like that.

I am not at your level, but I do give myself some challenges in games that I love, like in Resident Evil games I try to make encounters with few if not no shot wasted, all in the head, stuff like that.
Lol, I also play on normal, sometimes hard.

Playing this game with parry focus is not making it hard. IMO its designed to be played that way.

Once you start doing normal attacks you will quickly realise enemies break your flow quickly and it becomes annoying to use light/heavy attacks unless enemy is staggered.

Top Bottom