• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 will soon require all Steam players to sign in with a PlayStation Network account

NonPhixion

And why are you here trying to defend a multi million dollar company? Also just a quick reminder:

April 2011: Hackers Access Personal Data of 77 Million Sony PlayStation Network Users

May 2011: Personal Details on 25 Million Sony Online Entertainment Customers Stolen

June 2011: Sony Pictures Website Hacked, Exposing One Million Accounts

November 2014: Hackers Steal 100 Terabytes of Data from Sony Pictures

August 2017: Hacker Group Accesses Sony Social Media Accounts

September 2023: Sony Investigates Alleged Hack

October 2023: Sony Notifies Employees of Data Breach

And this is just those we know.
So psn’s last known hack was 2011? Neat.

This is part of the usual cope cycle.
They'll complain for a bit, and then nobody will care. Just like with Origin and Unisoft and all that other bs.

Holammer

Yet another reason not to trust the Steam mostly positive/mostly negative scale, and people here will still point to it for reference of what is a good game and what is a bad game just like player count 🤷‍♂️
Nah, it's still one of the best metrics we have. People paid for the privilege.
In this case, Sony just needs to reverse the decision and the beatings will stop near instantly.

winjer

Gold Member
MSconfig only can disable some startup programs. Services.msc gives you more control over services and some startup programs. There you can set programs to "Manual" that allows programs like Steam Client Service only run when you run Steam.

What part don't you understand that it's the MSconfig that controls how Steam helper service works.
Try disabling the Steam Service from starting with MSConfig and see what happens.

Nah, it's still one of the best metrics we have.
The game's actual quality didn't suddenly tank due to an outside issue(account link). I'm sorry but it's not one of the best, it's just another broken one that people play defense or offense with. Just like metacritic.
People paid for the privilege.
In this case, Sony just needs to reverse the decision and the beatings will stop near instantly.
Again, no bearing on the quality of the game itself.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What part don't you understand that it's the MSconfig that controls how Steam helper service works.
Try disabling the Steam Service from starting with MSConfig and see what happens.
Forget MSconfig. From now on, use services.msc.

Mr Moose

It doesn't need to be disabled, it just needs setting to manual rather than auto.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Just try disabling the Steam service with MSconfig. For once.
Then you will see that it's MSConfig that controls the service.
Again, MSconfig can only disable the service, thing that Services.msc also can do. But only in services.msc you can set to automatic, manual, or disabled. Set to Manual.

Topher

Gold Member
Just try disabling the Steam service with MSconfig. For once.
Then you will see that it's MSConfig that controls the service.

There are two different programs running. Steam.exe and steamservice.exe. One is the client front end. The other is the background service. Both work together, but are separate more than likely to keep one process from interupting the other.

HyxaLhf.png

I have an similar application at work that has a service and a web front end.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
There are two different programs running. Steam.exe and steamservice.exe. One is the client front end. The other is the background service. Both work together, but are separate more than likely to keep one process from interupting the other.

HyxaLhf.png

That is what I'm saying about helper services.
Setting the Steam service in Services.msc to manual doesn't' prevent the helper service from starting up.

winjer

Gold Member
That's correct. That's why I'm pointing out that they are two different exes.

I know. That is what I'm saying.
There is the Steam service and a helper service.

What I don't understand is why some people are having trouble understanding this.

Three

They had an upwards progression from "MS games can only be bought on MS store" -> "You can get MS games on steam with a MS account". Helldivers 2 evolved backwards, which obviously creates more backlash. How many times do i have to say this, and how many times will you keep ignoring it?
Minecraft isn't even on Steam.
Not vanilla. So you're saying that the way it would be OK is if Playstation launched a PC store/launcher, made their games exclusive to it, failed, then required an account on Steam for access to PS games.
What's a failed store got to do with anything? I don't understand what the fascination is with other stores/launchers which have nothing to do with creating an account on a game you've bought in another store.
Releasing day one on steam and requiring an account is not progressing backwards and a failed store progressing forwards. It's the same thing of requiring a third party account to play. Games have launched with that requirement requirimg the sign in retroactively. This wasn't even retroactive, it was known.

Last edited:

Pelao

Just wait a few years and they'll probably try to force you to pay for PS plus to play their games on PC.

Topher

Gold Member

What I don't understand is why some people are having trouble understanding this.

I'm a bit confused by what people are trying to say as well. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. I think there may just be come misunderstanding involved.

Maybe this well help.

Exiting the Steam Helper program from the system tray will stop the Steam client service.
The Steam client service cannot be started without the Steam Helper program running.
Starting the Steam Helper program starts the Steam client service.
The Helper program and the steam service must be running at the same time.
Attempting to start the Steam client service when the helper program is not open will cause an error and the service will automatically stop.

Guilty_AI

I simply see absolutely no Steam-related program running on startup using the procedures i've always used. Helper, client, service or whatever else.

winjer

Gold Member
I'm a bit confused by what people are trying to say as well. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. I think there may just be come misunderstanding involved.

Maybe this well help.

Exiting the Steam Helper program from the system tray will stop the Steam client service.
The Steam client service cannot be started without the Steam Helper program running.
Starting the Steam Helper program starts the Steam client service.
The Helper program and the steam service must be running at the same time.
Attempting to start the Steam client service when the helper program is not open will cause an error and the service will automatically stop.

I'm saying that if we disable the Steam helper service, it will prevent Steam for working correctly. So it will ask to reinstall the Steam helper service.
But this is a separate service from Steam's main service, listed in Services.msc
But some people here think that there is only one service. When there are 2.

winjer

Gold Member
I simply see absolutely no Steam-related program running on startup using the procedures i've always used. Helper, client, service or whatever else.

It's hidden. Probably in a low level kernel ring, so people won't screw up with it.
But MSconfig, for some reason shows it.

But there are 2 Steam services. And the one people are setting to manual in Services.msc is just the main one. Not the helper service.

winjer

Gold Member
No. There are 3. Steam, Steam Client Service, Steam Client WebHelper. Just check your task manager.

No, it's not. It start if I start Steam. Nothing is hidden. Imagine Valve hiding stuff from the users.

None of those 3 services start with Windows if I set Steam not to start with Windows. But if I run Steam, they all start normally.
What is hidden is the helper service in MSConfig. This one has to always start with windows, or Steam will stop working and requires a reinstall of the helper service.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm saying that if we disable the Steam helper service, it will prevent Steam for working correctly. So it will ask to reinstall the Steam helper service.
But this is a separate service from Steam's main service, listed in Services.msc
But some people here think that there is only one service. When there are 2.

If it is a service then it is listed in Services.msc. Not every program that starts with Windows is a service. When I look in the service list I see only one Steam program listed.

Gamers losing their shit over this very minor inconvenience is very much on brand.

You can use a burner email and password and sign up in a few minutes. No personal information that you need to worry about getting leaked required.

Most every GaaS game I've played has required me to login using a third party, and a required PSN account for HD2 was in every trailer leading up to launch....

So obviously this is the worst thing that has ever happened.

winjer

Gold Member
If it is a service then it is listed in Services.msc. Not every program that starts with Windows is a service. When I look in the service list I see only one Steam program listed.

OK, then call it a kernel ring driver, or something similar.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
None of those 3 services start with Windows if I set Steam not to start with Windows. But if I run Steam, they all start normally.
What is hidden is the helper service in MSConfig. This one has to always start with windows, or Steam will stop working and requires a reinstall of the helper service.
Here, the same as Guilty_AI Guilty_AI says, nothing from Steam runs on Windows startup if I set Steam Client Service as manual. The WebHelper and the Service only start if start Steam. WebHelper service it's not hidden. Steam main .exe just start it along with it.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

It's hidden. Probably in a low level kernel ring, so people won't screw up with it.
But MSconfig, for some reason shows it.

But there are 2 Steam services. And the one people are setting to manual in Services.msc is just the main one. Not the helper service.
I'm only seeing Steam Client Service in both.

Top Bottom