• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 will soon require all Steam players to sign in with a PlayStation Network account

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
it's not Windows that requests that service to start.
It's Steam that writes into the registry, that it requires that service to start. And without it, it errors out.
Windows is just doing what it has been told to do.
Registry doesn't negates what you set in services.msc or msconfig. Why don't you test for yourself? Turn off Steam from starting with Windows and set Steamservices to manual. Restart Windows. See your task manager. Nothing from Steam should be running there. Start Steam. Steam.exe, Steamclientservice.exe and Steam Client WebHelper.exe will be on task manager running. There is nothing from steam hidden on Windows startup.

Now Mixed

qa5b7o77k8yc1.png
Seems thread worthy to me.

winjer

Gold Member
Registry doesn't negates what you set in services.msc or msconfig. Why don't you test for yourself? Turn off Steam from starting with Windows and set Steamservices to manual. Restart Windows. See your task manager. Nothing from Steam should be running there. Start Steam. Steam.exe, Steamclientservice.exe and Steam Client WebHelper.exe will be on task manager running. There is nothing from steam hidden on Windows startup.

Setting a service to manual does not prevent it from starting automatically, if Windows or another service needs it.
And Steam needs it, so Windows it starts it. And if you disable it, Steam will error out.

Three

they should also make playstation players link their account to a steam account too. equality, you know?

then you should also have to link your previous year federal and state tax return. just a one-time thing.
They already did. I linked my PSN account to a Steam account when I got Portal 2 way back on a PS3. People linked their PS5 to a MS account with SoT. Playstation players don't care as much as you think they do.
Linking a PSN account on steam though is asking way too much apparently. Enough to review bomb games.

Three

The same GFWL account (@live.com) that I used created there is the same I use today with the same email, avatar, achievements and everything.
Because you linked it or converted it to a general MS account. It's the same with old Hotmail accounts too. There was a one Microsoft account push later and if you hadn't done that your GFWL account would have been closed by now.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Seems thread worthy to me.

Got you

It was stated everywhere from the beginning that is was mandatory. On the Steam product page, Sony's website and upon first login you get a message that a PSN account is required. I mean COME ON! If by this point people still don't understand what REQUIRED means, it's entirely on them.

You can use a free vpn like Tunnelbear in the non PSN countries to create an account, which takes 5 whole minutes. So yes while annoying, it's not something that can't be easily circumvened...
You don't even need to do this. Sony doesn't region lock PSN accounts and you can create a PSN account for any region in the world regardless of where you live. I used burner email accounts to create PSN accounts for Japan, Hong Kong, China, UK and I live in the US. I didn't even have to use my real name or home address when creating these accounts, I just lied. Sony doesn't check so there's no problem. The only thing required is an email so that you can retrieve your password if you forget it, and it can be any burner email from a site like google, yahoo or hotmail. Gamers just love to bitch over nothing.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Because you linked it or converted it to a general MS account. It's the same with old Hotmail accounts too. There was a one Microsoft account push later and if you hadn't done that your GFWL account would have been closed by now.
I didn't linked it with anything. It was always a general account. Same as my Hotmail account. Both have a live profile since always.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Modify DLL's. Yeah....I do that every morning after my first cup of coffee.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Console gamers need new material when it comes to making up shit about PC gaming.

Are you even a PC gamer if you haven't ran Norton Antivirus before a gaming session?
Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Don't be so sensitive guys. Last time I played on my PC was Lethal Company with my mates and I had to change some DLL's for some mods. And update them every few days everytime a new update arrived. No biggie. Also had to update a DLSS DLL on another game to udpate it to the latest and less buggy version. It's normal practice, don't you guys play on PC?

Three

I didn't linked it with anything. It was always a general account. Same as my Hotmail account. Both have a live profile since always.
Depends on if you did it before or after 2012. That is when live IDs were converted to MS accounts. If you had a previous account and logged in it simply asked you to agree.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Don't be so sensitive guys. Last time I played on my PC was Lethal Company with my mates and I had to change some DLL's for some mods. And update them every few days everytime a new update arrived. No biggie. Also had to update a DLSS DLL on another game to udpate it to the latest and less buggy version. It's normal practice, don't you guys play on PC?

Eh....a joke is fine, but it is weird to say it is a joke then suggest messing with DLLs is normal. Most folks don't touch any of that stuff.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
the amount of complaining about this is hilarious to me.

just throw a useless email and call it a day. geesh.

You are post number 5.

But does that actually work.
Dont they require you to verify the email?
If not then yeah fuck it, just put whatever.

When XBL used to be region locked I had to make a new account everytime I travelled(I used to travel alot alot) cuz calling Support was way too much of a hassle I would just make random accounts on my X360 for that country.
I have so many XBL accounts on my X360 its a joke........the real joke is on me, alot of them ive forgotten the passwords/or email because obviously.....and now some DLCs and games are lost to me forever because they are stuck on accounts from a different region.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Depends on if you did it before or after 2012. That is when live IDs were converted to MS accounts. If you had a previous account and logged in it simply asked you to agree.
Live IDs from GFWL were always a MS account. If in consoles was different then it was only for live IDs created from consoles.

xHunter

According to this post, it always said that you need to link your acc to play, but they somehow made it skippable:

Anyways, i dont see the big deal. Should have probably given people free stuff for linking.

Three

How a LinkedIn account that I don't even have will leak with my game account?
So if you're not talking about the parent company where does "leaking users info constantly " come from for Playstation? They haven't leaked user info constantly at all.

MS have leaked some pretty important users info just recently

Guilty_AI

Setting a service to manual does not prevent it from starting automatically, if Windows or another service needs it.
And Steam needs it, so Windows it starts it. And if you disable it, Steam will error out.
Ok, i went through some lenghts to see what this was all about (cause i'm curious). I did everything you said from using autoruns (after seeing some tutorials online), disabling Steam Client Service, rebooting the PC and everything.

Results:
>Disabling it there, rebooting the computer and running steam does cause an error to show up... but if you just press cancel, Steam will open up and work just fine anyway.
>Re-checking the box makes steam launch up without the error as normal.
>Disabling the box and running steam without rebooting the computer causes the error to appear again (and again, Steam will run as usual if you just press cancel).

My hypothesis:
>Steam probably runs some self-diagnostic program on launch, and when it detects that Steam Client Service was tampered in some way it assumes there's something wrong with the installation, but since it doesn't affect runtime it'll just go on to launch as usual if you ignore the error.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
So if you're not talking about the parent company where does "leaking users info constantly " come from for Playstation? They haven't leaked user info constantly at all.
Read the thread. Someone already posted a history of PSN leaks. And should be obivious that this is about PSN and Live leaks. Why should I care about non gaming related leaks?

nial

Gold Member
Read again. I said constantly, not never. And why should I care for the non gaming related stuff?
It only happened once 13 years ago. Valve had a similar one around the same time as I already said.
Someone already posted a history of PSN leaks. And should be obivious that this is about PSN and Live leaks. Why should I care about non gaming related leaks?
The one that included a Sony Pictures leak?

Last edited:

Three

Read the thread. Someone already posted a history of PSN leaks. And should be obivious that this is about PSN and Live leaks. Why should I care about non gaming related leaks?
Except I've read the thread and constantly does not at all apply to PSN. PSN was once. The rest were other departments like Sony pictures, employee details, unrelated to PSN/Live much like LinkedIn is.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It only happened once 13 years ago. Valve had a similar one around the same time as I already said.

The one that included a Sony Pictures leak
That doesn't affect gaming but, the Sony online entertainment does (my DCUO account)

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Except I've read the thread and constantly does not at all apply to PSN. PSN was once. The rest were other departments like Sony pictures, employee details, unrelated to PSN/Live much like LinkedIn is.
And my SOE account (DCUO).

Top Bottom