• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideaki Itsuno apoligizes for his game not being at E3.

MBS

Banned
A new DD isn't happening as they don't list it as one of their main franchises in their financial reports.

Neonep

In all honesty I hope this game is announced at PSX, that would mean that it's coming out later. Itsuno needs to take all the time he needs.

NastyBook

mvsc_infinite_by_pietro_ant-dbcvj0s.jpg
"Gimme the meth, bitch!"
lmfaooooooooooooooo

In all honesty I hope this game is announced at PSX, that would mean that it's coming out later. Itsuno needs to take all the time he needs.
Yep. When it comes to the actual development and release schedule of the game, I want them to give Itsuno as much time and resources as he needs. There is no rush to get this game out early.

Eolz

I'm really interested if you actually find it, especially since you said they would have said that countless times.
I follow that since the beginning because i really want Dragon's Dogma 2. And the only thing i remember them actually saying about that is when Itsuno said sometimes after the release of Dark Arisen that he already has a lot of ideas for a sequel.

For Dragon's Dogma Online they said that this is specifically for the Asien Market and they had nothing to announce regarding a western release. That was after the release of DDO and i could imagine that they said something about bringing it over since then, but i didn't hear anything myself.

But as i said, never anything even close to DDO being DD2.

Only things I can find back are
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e150911.html
Since the launch of the first title in 2012, as a home video game, the "Dragon's Dogma" franchise has become one of Capcom's successful series.
and them talking about DD2 before DDO was revealed.

As well as a french article that mixed both, but I don't count that.

So you can say I'm misreading it, but there's no confirmation either way. Everything leads to believing that DD2 is DDO (especially since most of the gameplay is similar, and they're still developing it, both for the game itself and for the west).
Could there be another DD more single player focused someday? Sure, but nothing is showing that.

Neonep

Yep. When it comes to the actual development and release schedule of the game, I want them to give Itsuno as much time and resources as he needs. There is no rush to get this game out early.

Zero rush to get this game out. They don't need it out any time soon.

Dinda

Only things I can find back are
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e150911.html

and them talking about DD2 before DDO was revealed.

As well as a french article that mixed both, but I don't count that.

So you can say I'm misreading it, but there's no confirmation either way. Everything leads to believing that DD2 is DDO (especially since most of the gameplay is similar, and they're still developing it, both for the game itself and for the west).
Could there be another DD more single player focused someday? Sure, but nothing is showing that.

Thing is that you said to me and other people that are hoping for Dragon's Dogma 2 that this is definitely not happening. And that is definitely not what what any of that says.

Unlike for your denial that it won't happen, we actually have Itsuno on record that he wants to do Dragon's Dogma 2. (and DMC5)
http://www.dualshockers.com/dragons...ps4-also-rival-schools-3-and-devil-may-cry-5/

Yes theoretically you could argue that this then turned into DDO, but i doubt it, since he cleary talks about a very ambitious game for the new Generation and DDO is basically a reuse of old material developed originally for PS3 without Itsuno. The Dark Arisen team started working on it directly after the Dark Arisen release.

Don't get me wrong, chances are 90% DMC 5 and 10% at best for DD2, i'm well aware of that. But the point is that all those countless times you were claiming they had been saying DDO is DD2 and there will be no DD2 just did not happen, so you can stop telling that to people that hope for it.

Eolz

Itsuno wants a lot of things sadly.
Including Rival Schools 3.

I'm looking at it from Capcom's statements, which is the one ultimately deciding of what happens.

But sure, I'll say that my posts were misleading and that there's a chance (you know that gif).

If this is DMC5 and if it is a PSX announcement, then I wonder if we get a secret panel or something, with Itsuno talking about the game. That fighting game panel that we got back in 2015 was a really fun one, so hopefully we'll get something similar for DMC5.

If it is at PSX.

Astral Dog

Not really. The highest selling DMC game is DMC4. And the highest rated game is DMC1. Both of which are from Capcom Japan. DMC4's metacritic is like 86% and DmC's metacritic is like 87%. So it's not like it has that working for it either.

Honestly I think the biggest reason why DmC happened was because Itsuno wanted to focus on Dragon's Dogma, and now that he got that out of the way, he's got that DMC itch again and he's back.
If only thats what they said, PR for DmC was a mess because they could have treated it as a different take/universe while Itsuno tries other things.

Instead we had the reboot/prequel/reimagining/west!/japanese bar circus we had to endure :/

I feel sorry for you guys when this is shown and it isn't Devil May Cry

No need to feel sorry man.

The reason that Itsuno sent this tweet in the first place was because after E3, a lot of DMC fans bombered his twitter with "where was DMC5?", "DMC is dead" and other similar tweets. I know that because I was one of them and I followed those comments closely, in hope of Itsuno responding to any of them. So the
Please wait as my project is progressing smoothly.
Part, is pretty much a direct response to those comments.

F4r0_Atak

If it wasn't for Sony, tgs would be an after thought.

Tgs last year was dog shit. I think they finally realize that Japanese are losing interest in playstation and are liking Nintendo.

So let Nintendo focus on tgs and Sony will focus on markets where the userbase is.

I expect PSX to be the biggest one ever to be honest.

For who? Sony? Just like E3 2017, it might have been lackluster compared to the previous year, but we did have a bunch of new informations and trailers for important games: Nioh and Nier Automata release dates, new Gravity Rush 2 trailer, new KH 2.8 trailer, etc. Do you remember Sony TGS 2015? They had a a lot of new games announcements, same thing happened at E3 2016 (2nd year of dreams).

After what happened with E3 2017 (focused on providing informations for already announced games), it's been 2 years since they had some major new announcements so I wonder if Sony TGS 2017 will have new games to reveal? :)

No need to feel sorry man.

The reason that Itsuno sent this tweet in the first place was because after E3, a lot of DMC fans bombered his twitter with "where was DMC5?", "DMC is dead" and other similar tweets. I know that because I was one of them and I followed those comments closely, in hope of Itsuno responding to any of them. So the

Part, is pretty much a direct response to those comments.

lol did not know about fans bombarding his twitter.

That is almost a pseudo confirmation imo

TreIII

UE4 is the best guess, SFV used it, a lot of Japanese devs are using it. RE7 was the new RE Engine but I doubt DMC would use that

Absolute worst case scenario (which wouldn't even be terrible) is you get MT Framework again. Which I doubt but if Capcom has negative dollars, who knows

Monster Hunter World uses MT, and that's the newest game for Capcom's biggest money maker. I could definitely see a new DMC using MT, since it'd be a way to save money and time as the team already has experience with the engine.

jett

D-Member
Monster Hunter World uses MT, and that's the newest game for Capcom's biggest money maker. I could definitely see a new DMC using MT, since it'd be a way to save money and time as the team already has experience with the engine.

It's gonna depend what kind of framerate Itsuno is targeting for his new game (which I'm far from convinced it's a new DMC). If it's 30fps he can use UE4 no problem, any higher than that and that engine seems to struggle on consoles unless you're a fighting game, and even then SFV had to make compromises. If it's 60fps I don't see it happening. Maybe they'll use MT again like you said.

Thankfully it will probably come out on PC whatever it is, so it's a moot point for me. :p

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yo TGS might be pretty good this year as it seems like there might be a lot of big games showing up there.

And imo it doesn't look that good. Visually, MHW looks a lot like a PS3 game.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
And imo it doesn't look that good. Visually, MHW looks a lot like a PS3 game.

I'm hoping that from here on out Capcom either uses UE4 or a proprietary engine that is helped along by some accomplished studio. I don't know what ultimately came of the Panta Rhei engine but it looked really nice and the dragon featured in the Deep Down co-op demonstration looked more impressive than the T-Rex and Rathalos in MHW, although I do think it looks good.

AAK

Whatever the game is, I just want it to be a fresh new experience. I don't want anything recycled from previous Capcom games. If it does end up being a Devil May Cry game, I'd much rather they don't recycle the Alastor/Force Edge/Rebellion, Ifrit/Beowulf/Gilgamesh, and other devil arms. And if those devil arms do come back, give us completely new animations and movesets for those weapons.

If it's a new IP, that'd be the best case scenario for me.

I'm hoping that from here on out Capcom either uses UE4 or a proprietary engine that is helped along by some accomplished studio. I don't know what ultimately came of the Panta Rhei engine but it looked really nice and the dragon featured in the Deep Down co-op demonstration looked more impressive than the T-Rex and Rathalos in MHW, although I do think it looks good.
Yeah, they either have to use UE4 or go for RE engine (if it is capable of supporting a fast paced action stylish game like DMC5).

Either way, as much as love MT it's not an engine that they should use for current gen titles.

Eolz

Yeah, they either have to use UE4 or go for RE engine (if it is capable of supporting a fast paced action stylish game like DMC5).

Either way, as much as love MT it's not an engine that they should use for current gen titles.

They're using it for MH World :p

MBS

Banned
I think they might've ditched Panda Rhei engine probably due to cost and lack of implementation, otherwise we would've seen at least one game made on it since it's announcement. They clearly scaling back and restructuring, that's why they 're going with their safest bet, MT Framework, an engine doesn't cost them anything to develop on, because it was already there.

Fun fact is that MT Framework is actually an updated Onimusha 3 engine, and still in 2017 they are making games using it. For games like DMC it works really well in those closed environments with pre-baked lighting and effects, but for open world games, when we have seen titles like Horizon, to still use MT as your main dev engine is just unacceptable when you have Panda Rhei there sitting with zero games using it.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

Do we know what happened with Panta Rhei? Is it completely abandoned and if it indeed is, was any of it salvaged and brought to the RE Engine?

Top Bottom