• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Aloy's Journey Trailer, delayed to February 28th, 2017

I'm not annoyed at the pushed release date, but why can't the industry show some constraint and hold off on announcing ANY release date targets or hopes until there is a much more tightened production schedule? It's borderline embarrassing at how many release dates this gen have been pushed, in some case repeatedly. Either don't show your game until it's closer to completion, or don't announce a release date. The film / tv industry doesn't have much of a problem with this.
Eh? Films announce way ahead of time, all the time.

usp84

I have never played a game from Guerilla Games but i am definetely getting this one!Let's see....

I don't understand, what was so cringe worthy ? Cringe is used way too often on the internet.

For me it was the VA for the male that was cringy... not so much the written dialogue. It sounded like anime VA. SCE (excuse me... SIE) has been knocking it out of the park with VA production values, so that was a little jarring.
Aloy sounds pretty good, though.

Don't see that as being generic..at all. Either way most best works are not anything new just well executed. Having good writers is not meaningless, the story in KZ sucked due to writing. You can;t judge Horizon based on them hiring good writers, but you also can't judge Horizon because they made killzone. New ip, new writers, can't have it both ways., Time will tell.

I agree that time will tell, and I hope they hit it out of the park. However, a new IP and new writers doesn't guarantee they've got their shit together for sure this time. Games are collaborative works. The writer alone can't guarantee what they envision is what you and I will end up experiencing.

But like I said, I hope they pull it off.

horizon3py38.gif

ZeroX03

Banned
That voice over and story does not inspire confidence in the narrative, but it's just a slice, maybe it's just poorly put together for marketing.

That said I don't think anything will stop me from being disappointed in this game as the biggest missed opportunity ever no matter how good it is.

Boke1879

I'm not even expecting to be blown away by this story. The stuff in the trailer was fine as far as voice acting goes. I'm just really focused on how good it looks and the gameplay. can't wait for another live demo.

Carn82

The voice acting and writing were not very good but there's no way we can tell if the story is cringe-worthy from that trailer. I'm hoping those are just placeholder voices because a little girl asking 'why am I an outcast' is narrative with speachmarks 101. That's so bad. ND, have a word.

Yeah, I guess it more the combination of various cliches that bothers me.

For me it was the VA for the male that was cringy... not so much the written dialogue. It sounded like anime VA. SCE (excuse me... SIE) has been knocking it out of the park with VA production values, so that was a little jarring.

I liked her kid voice, too !

Oxn

It sounds like when Mufasa was talking to Simba from the sky.

The writing and delivery I agree wasn't the strongest. But I'll chalk it up to trailer editing for now. It's a trailer for an open-world RPG where they are trying to convey the general premise of the game.

That voice over and story does not inspire confidence in the narrative, but it's just a slice, maybe it's just poorly put together for marketing.

That said I don't think anything will stop me from being disappointed in this game as the biggest missed opportunity ever no matter how good it is.
Like what? So if u already have that mindset why even bother.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Omfg that looks dope as fuuuuuuck! Aloy is a beast, riding Dinos n stuff.
F U Shinobi for delaying the game.
jkjk <3

Mahonay

Banned
Voice acting is definitely pretty damn cheesy. But hey, the world building around it seems incredible so hopefully that'll be pretty easy to overlook.

daman824

Writing was horrible

"why am I an outcast? Who was my mother?"

"Always you pushed for answers, pushed yourself....to the edge."

At least the game looks great graphically. The last game the team made was pretty bad. So I'll be waiting for reviews on this one

sh1fty

Still looks cool. I just have a hard time getting hyped to spend $90+ CDN on games that are primarily single player (Quantum Break, Uncharted 4, Horizon...)

i think the problem is that there is too much dialogue

and it becomes unnecessarily descriptive of very familiar themes

reminds of the paris games week demo, when they excessively explained how it's an rpg cause xp bars

DieH@rd

Banned
Holy mother of god, that looked fucking amazing. So many locations, so many types of enemies [both human and robotic], story looks great, visuals are spectacular, and most importantly, all was ingame.

Tigress

It's cool they've gotten a good writer for this, really. But I don't think their past writers were super incompetent or something. Having a great writer alone doesn't necessarily mean it'll wind up having a great story.

I'm still getting this game, but I'm really lowering my expectations on the narrative front because of my past experiences with this developer.

If he's heading hte writing (and some one else mentioned they also hired a guy who worked on Witcher III) it can have a big impact. Basically it depends on how much influence they are giving the writers they hired from outside the company influence. And I'm betting they have some cause they specifically said they wanted to hire people from companies that do RPGs because they aren't experienced in it themselves. So they obviously want their influence.

Anyways, it looks promising and if they don't botch it as bad as that last Killzone (Shadowfall) I'll probably enjoy it. But Shadowfall started on a horrible premisis that didn't work (and it would not have been hard to fix it imho). And was too damned obvious about who the villain was to the point it was painful to see my character not recognize that he was a bad guy (same issue I have with RDR honestly. It's fine if you want to set up a character, but don't be so obvious that soime one is going to betray you that it's hard not to see your character as a complete idiot for not seeing it themselves).

jett

D-Member
I hope this is good. The one thing that gives me the pause is the story, since Guerrilla's track record is absolute shitcakes, and this trailer focused a lot on that. :p

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well that was all around amazing. That was a fairly long trailer too and showed off a huge amount of environments, the game looks sprawling. I'm guessing its not going to be a true open world and more so gigantic interconnected open areas, maybe each one with its own human tribes giving directions and stuff. Sort of like how Kingdoms of Amalur set it up where you don't really need to return to the past areas unless you just want to finish up quests or destroy weaker enemies with your stronger abilities and weapons and such.

Other than that seems like we've got stealth and melee combat but we didn't really get to see a lot of it, and of course human enemies which I was expecting despite no proof of that. Makes sense considering the games world. Enemy designs are continuing to look incredible and fairly varied, if they can give each area its own kind of robofauna that would be awesome.

I'm also guessing those black non animalistic machines are remnants from some past war or something.

I wasn't sold on the VA but its by no means the worst I've heard, basically middle of the road and the story itself seems vague as what we're getting in the trailer is the set up of what sounds like her quest. I'm guessing early game stuff and we haven't really seen much except the hints about her background being different or special and that automated door opening for her.

Overall I'm pretty excited, looks really good.

nataku

Oh awesome, the limited edition comes with the full art book. I don't have to buy some stupid statue anymore just to get the thing I really want.

Disappointed about the delay, but I really want this to turn out awesome.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Writing was horrible

"why am I an outcast? Who was my mother?"

"Always you pushed for answers, pushed yourself....to the edge."

At least the game looks great graphically. The last game the team made was pretty bad. So I'll be waiting for reviews on this one

Well I mean, it's a YAL inspired game.

Top Bottom