• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn leaving PS+ May 21st (speculation a remake announcement is coming)

There seems to be two realities online and offline.

One reality is where everyone online is claiming they don’t want this remake and it will bomb.

The second reality is where everyone offline watches a TV show and suddenly millions of people are purchasing a game to experience more. People from the first reality will still claim this to be a failure based on some arbitrary sales number(not enough millions) that they feel a game must earn in order to provide profit to said company.

Both realities seem to exist at the same time and not many people question this or point this out.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I mean, this is business as usual for Sony, fuck you been? lol

Jak and Daxter gets remastered on PS3 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"
Sly gets remastered on PS3 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"
Killzone 1 gets remastered on PS3 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"
Uncharted gets remastered on PS4 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"
The Last Of Us gets remastered on PS4 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"
Gravity Rush gest remastered on PS4 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"
The Last Of Us 2 gets remastered on PS5 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"
Spiderman gets remastered on PS5 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"
Ghost Of Tsushima gets remastered on PS5 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"

like, zomg, I can't believe they want to grow install bases, employ new hires and make more money, WTF SONY!!!

pikachu-shocked-face-stunned.gif

The huge point you are missing to address, is while those remasters were launching Sony were also releasing multiple great NEW games in between.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Jesus H, Guerrilla games have some of the most amazingly talented devs in the business and they're talents are wasted on this!?? hell i really enjoyed both Horizon games but i sure as shit have no desire to replay em ffs and we already have the incredibly looking Forbidden West, what could a remake possibly offer?? I know i'm in the minority here but id love to see them turn that talent to Killzone and remake those, i never played 1-3 and loved the PS4 one, give me a remaster of those games

midnightAI

Jesus H, Guerrilla games have some of the most amazingly talented devs in the business and they're talents are wasted on this!?? hell i really enjoyed both Horizon games but i sure as shit have no desire to replay em ffs and we already have the incredibly looking Forbidden West, what could a remake possibly offer?? I know i'm in the minority here but id love to see them turn that talent to Killzone and remake those, i never played 1-3 and loved the PS4 one, give me a remaster of those games
I completely agree, however, 'if' this is true its either going to be a very small internal team doing it or an external team, it wont be the main Guerilla talent working on it (they are making a new IP and working on Horizon 3 (whetever that will be called))

With Naughty Dog for example, they like to use new hires (as well as a small number of senior staff to oversee it) to work on stuff like remasters so they get used to the engine etc.

But yes, Killzone 2 'remake' (not remaster) would be amazing, or a new game in the franchise, but them working on a new IP makes me happy also.

Edit: although saying that, thinking about it, 'if' it was a Horizon 'remake' with all new quests and a modified main story (the actual missions themselves) then I wouldnt mind too much as that would keep it fresh, but just a shiny gloss of paint isnt really worth it, it still looks great as is on PS5 anyway.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I completely agree, however, 'if' this is true its either going to be a very small internal team doing it or an external team, it wont be the main Guerilla talent working on it (they are making a new IP and working on Horizon 3 (whetever that will be called))

With Naughty Dog for example, they like to use new hires (as well as a small number of senior staff to oversee it) to work on stuff like remasters so they get used to the engine etc.

But yes, Killzone 2 'remake' (not remaster) would be amazing, or a new game in the franchise, but them working on a new IP makes me happy also.

Edit: although saying that, thinking about it, 'if' it was a Horizon 'remake' with all new quests and a modified main story (the actual missions themselves) then I wouldnt mind too much as that would keep it fresh, but just a shiny gloss of paint isnt really worth it, it still looks great as is on PS5 anyway.

I know it won't be the main teams but even still, utilizing any of their staff for this just seems like a complete waste of time, I get why ND revistlited TLOU1, the original was dated (graphically) and now it plays seemlessly into the sequel but the first Horizon still looks pretty damn great and needs nothing more than an uprez and 60fps mode, who in their right mind is gonna replay it??, again with TLOU1 remaster it was a quick 8-10hr campaign (which I absolutely loved btw) but Horizon is a slog and was never really lauded for it's indepth story, bizarre choice imo

Damn, why did they not include that info with all the other leaving soon games two weeks ago? That's a bit short notice now.
I guess I will play it then right away. Even though I think I "own" it via that covid stay at home thing, but I have no desire to maybe lose it because their licensing fucks up.

GymWolf

Sony going hard on serial tv means that they are gonna remake all of their games, even recent ones like tlou or horizon.

This is the worst that could have happened, sony going the tv tv tv route.

Imagine wasting guerrila or really any dev on a fucking remake of zero dawn, a 2017 game...

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What if this was built on the latest version of Decima engine with ray traced GI, reflections and shadows like Avatar with virtualized geometry like nanite.

A test of their new tech while they go and built Horizon 3 for launch in 2028.

But if its just using HFW graphics then i agree, its the dumbest most stupidest thing they could do but Herman is the head of PS studios and hes not the smartest tool in the shed.

Completely agree!

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Man and I thought Last of Us didnt need to get a makeover, this one REALLY doesnt need it if the rumors are true.

I was just playing it a month ago and thought it still looked fuckin sick. The only thing that looks off or dated is the lip synching and character models (and even then most of the models still look great).

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Why? Why are companies so bad at listening to their consumers?

When you make shit you think players want you fail. When you give them what they ask for you succeed.

No one wants a remake of this.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There seems to be two realities online and offline.

One reality is where everyone online is claiming they don’t want this remake and it will bomb.

The second reality is where everyone offline watches a TV show and suddenly millions of people are purchasing a game to experience more. People from the first reality will still claim this to be a failure based on some arbitrary sales number(not enough millions) that they feel a game must earn in order to provide profit to said company.

Both realities seem to exist at the same time and not many people question this or point this out.
Horizon ZD came out in 2017. Horizon FW came out in 2022.

Fallout 4 came out in 2015.

Fallout show came out and suddenly millions of people went back and bought/played the 9 year old game. No one had to remake anything. They released a current gen patch to get 60 fps on and that was it. HZD already has the 60 fps patch.

SlimySnake

Sony going hard on serial tv means that they are gonna remake all of their games, even recent ones like tlou or horizon.

This is the worst that could have happened, sony going the tv tv tv route.

Imagine wasting guerrila or really any dev on a fucking remake of zero dawn, a 2017 game...
It's crazy how much of that Xbox One blueprint sony has been following. Tv tv tv. Games greenlit just for tv. Remember the quantum break tv show within the game? lol.
Their best studio literally wasting 2 years on a remake while their biggest director and studio head was off actually making the tv show. Now they are 4 years into the gen with nothing to show.

Then you have gaas. Who asked for Horizon Gaas? At least there was someone asking for factions. Maybe not as a separate gaas game, but people wanted Factions. no one is asking for Horizon MP. I still remember that thread when Phil Spencer took a big shit on Zelda and Horizon ZD saying we would rather make GaaS games because they are more popular. The sales for the Xbox One fell off a cliff after that as Sony and Nintendo both doubled down on single player games after the massive success of Horizon ZD and BOTW. Both games selling at least 20 million. BOTW 30 million.

And now? its Sony who is investing in TV and GaaS while wasting dev time on remakes to support their tv obsession. its so crazy.

Last edited:
Horizon ZD came out in 2017. Horizon FW came out in 2022.

Fallout 4 came out in 2015.

Fallout show came out and suddenly millions of people went back and bought/played the 9 year old game. No one had to remake anything. They released a current gen patch to get 60 fps on and that was it. HZD already has the 60 fps patch.
You’ve seen Todd Howard on interviews state that he underestimated the importance of having a new entry ready, and we’ve seen rumors of MS scrambling to have a new Fallout game ready for next season.

There must be something to this(releasing remakes/sequels/remasters around TV show times) if these huge companies are doing this. They clearly see a goldmine that people here are not seeing or are refusing to see.

SlimySnake

You’ve seen Todd Howard on interviews state that he underestimated the importance of having a new entry ready, and we’ve seen rumors of MS scrambling to have a new Fallout game ready for next season.

There must be something to this(releasing remakes/sequels/remasters around TV show times) if these huge companies are doing this. They clearly see a goldmine that people here are not seeing or are refusing to see.
The sales show that there is no goldmine. We know demon Souls sales. It shipped 2 million, sold 1.8 million. Elden Ring a new game has sold 20 million+. Thats 1/10th the sales. maybe if they had made demon souls 2 a brand new game, things would be different.

TLOU part 1 did not make the 2022 top 20 NPD sales, let alone top 10. It was outsold by sonic and a 4 year old smash bros game. It also bombed on PC. The sales boost it got due to the show lasted a month and then it disappeared forever.

de42f02244905d28640a3b93fea1d1b31909f93b.jpeg

The sales show that there is no goldmine. We know demon Souls sales. It shipped 2 million, sold 1.8 million. Elden Ring a new game has sold 20 million+. Thats 1/10th the sales. maybe if they had made demon souls 2 a brand new game, things would be different.

TLOU part 1 did not make the 2022 top 20 NPD sales, let alone top 10. It was outsold by sonic and a 4 year old smash bros game. It also bombed on PC. The sales boost it got due to the show lasted a month and then it disappeared forever.

de42f02244905d28640a3b93fea1d1b31909f93b.jpeg
I think people were happy with $10 Fallout, not $70 new entry for curious casual fans.

EDMIX

The huge point you are missing to address, is while those remasters were launching Sony were also releasing multiple great NEW games in between.

? Annnnd you literally fucking got Horizon FW, GT7, God Of War Ragnork, Helldivers II, Returnal, Spiderman 2, Stellar Blade, Rise Of Ronin etc, fuck are you talking about?

Thats not even including the announcement of many new IP, again...fuck are you talking about?

Prove your point factually man, stop making up this fake shit as I'm FACTUALLY fucking listing those things to show you this idea is not brand new at Sony and clearly neither is "new games" as for fuck sakes, some of the same teams that made those new games during the PS1, PS2 era...are still making new games now bud, so its hard to say "Sony were" when they literally STILL ARE by the same fucking teams.

SlimySnake SlimySnake "No one had to remake anything" Lol did you forget about the whole Fallout 3 remaster leak? btw I have no clue when that is going to drop, but they might have been aiming for the shows release to announce it or put it out or something and instead just used the Fallout 4 update to help boost sales or something.

Last edited:

simpatico

Sony guys, be honest, if they really are going to remake HZD, are you going to start being mad about the state of original PS5 content?

Considering TLOU Part 1 remake revenue was great, and the TV show for Horizon is coming, Sony probably wants that easy money by releasing this in a time gaming costs are through the roof.

Another pointless remake and a game no one wants that will ultimately sell a lot, even if everyone complains about it. It'll probably release on PS5 and PC close to each other.
It won't sell alot that's for certain, if the game was good like the two TLOU games ( they didn't even sell that well)but it's hot garbage.

Sony guys, be honest, if they really are going to remake HZD, are you going to start being mad about the state of original PS5 content?
I think this will hopefully be the final generation where such complaints happen. Everything is being ported to PC/Steam Deck now and Xbox is slowly sinking into 3rd party territory.

The ones who will own a PS6 will buy all of their 3rd party games on PS6 as well(as there will no longer be a need for PC owners to do so), which means there will be less whining about when the first party company decides to use a smaller team to remake something and less whining about a console collecting dust because of the 'I also have a PC' argument.

The game is way too new for a remake. It’ll be a remaster. People need to stop using the two words interchangeably

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's a 7yr old game developed on a small budget. The tech production is ancient by Sony 1st party standards, so tech remake is appropriate here I think.

Graphics seems to be the only thing Sony First party has going for it. Their gameplay in their first party games hasn't evolved much at all in two generations.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
? Annnnd you literally fucking got Horizon FW, GT7, God Of War Ragnork, Helldivers II, Returnal, Spiderman 2, Stellar Blade, Rise Of Ronin etc, fuck are you talking about?

Thats not even including the announcement of many new IP, again...fuck are you talking about?

Prove your point factually man, stop making up this fake shit as I'm FACTUALLY fucking listing those things to show you this idea is not brand new at Sony and clearly neither is "new games" as for fuck sakes, some of the same teams that made those new games during the PS1, PS2 era...are still making new games now bud, so its hard to say "Sony were" when they literally STILL ARE by the same fucking teams.

SlimySnake SlimySnake "No one had to remake anything" Lol did you forget about the whole Fallout 3 remaster leak? btw I have no clue when that is going to drop, but they might have been aiming for the shows release to announce it or put it out or something and instead just used the Fallout 4 update to help boost sales or something.

Chill man.

OK, last year they released spider man 2...that's it. This year they haven't released anything, with no announcements of games for this year or holiday from their first party studios. That's two years out of 4. Almost everything before that was cross platform.

nial

Gold Member
They have released 3 games already (not counting MLB), what multiple great NEW games were released in between of the Jak collection? In one of the worst years for SCE first-party, 2012?

nial

Gold Member
It won't sell alot that's for certain, if the game was good like the two TLOU games ( they didn't even sell that well)but it's hot garbage.
Bolded, I really hope you're talking about the re-releases...
Either way, Horizon Zero Dawn has sold 24M units, can you people have a real point for once?

EDMIX

with no announcements of games for this year or holiday
And? They've put out games and have many more announced...your point still is basically nothing...
also releasing multiple great NEW games

Yet you literally got a fucking list of "new games" that released.

You got a fuck ton of other new games that have been announced...

I'm sorry but you don't have a solid, sound, factual point.

They have put out new games the year prior, this year and more announced soooooo I'm not sure where you are getting this shit
Sony were

So with everything they factually released, everything they've already announced, your statement is factually wrong, its factually incorrect. Its even funnier cause the same fucking studios that put out "new games" then, are still putting out games right now, so Sony "were" putting out new games by those teams but suddenly not?

So GG use to put out games and now they don't?
So Insomniac use to put out games and now they don't?
So Sucker Punch use to put out games and now they don't?

Make that shit make sense man lol Unless they are putting out zero games, your statement can never make sense.

It simply sounds like something you WISH was true, not something you can factually actually prove is true.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
And? They've put out games and have many more announced...your point still is basically nothing...

Yet you literally got a fucking list of "new games" that released.

You got a fuck ton of other new games that have been announced...

I'm sorry but you don't have a solid, sound, factual point.

They have put out new games the year prior, this year and more announced soooooo I'm not sure where you are getting this shit

So with everything they factually released, everything they've already announced, your statement is factually wrong, its factually incorrect. Its even funnier cause the same fucking studios that put out "new games" then, are still putting out games right now, so Sony "were" putting out new games by those teams but suddenly not?

So GG use to put out games and now they don't?
So Insomniac use to put out games and now they don't?
So Sucker Punch use to put out games and now they don't?

Make that shit make sense man lol Unless they are putting out zero games, your statement can never make sense.

It simply sounds like something you WISH was true, not something you can factually actually prove is true.

Ok, so what first party titles from their owned studios have Sony released in the last two years?

It's a 7yr old game developed on a small budget. The tech production is ancient by Sony 1st party standards, so tech remake is appropriate here I think.
“Tech remake” would also be not a thing until now now. And a small budget? Lmao by what standards are you measuring that. It was made using the Decimna engine which was so popular they also used it for Death Stranding.

Remaster would be appropriate. Such as for example, TLoU1 Remastered. Or TLoU2 Remastered.

Last edited:
What annoys me here is that at least on my PS5 the game is still not listed in the leaving soon section. So how tf should anyone not stumbling over this info somewhere on the net, or just checking randomly the store page, even get to know that they might miss the chance to play it on their sub service if that info page is not reliable? Especially weird since all Plus blog posts usually remind us that we should check on our system to see the included games for our region.

EDMIX

Ok, so what first party titles from their owned studios have Sony released in the last two years?

Spiderman 2
Horizon Forbidden West
GT7
God of War Ragnarök
MLB Series

The fact you even wasted the energy to even desperately add some fake ass goal post of "their owned studios" cause you know Ronin, Stellar Blade, Helldivers II and many more would be listed is even sadder

annnnnnnnnd time for that ignore bud, as I'm sure your next comment will be a deeper goal post of some weird shit like "derrr ok, what first party game, starting with the letter Z released in Fall of this year on the 6th and scored a 92" lol

My guy went from "Sony were also releasing"

To "Sony within 2 years was"

To "Sony owned studios"

To "Games from New Zealand released during the spring equinox, scoring a 99 on Meta, starting with the letter J"

Last edited:
Chill man.

OK, last year they released spider man 2...that's it. This year they haven't released anything, with no announcements of games for this year or holiday from their first party studios. That's two years out of 4. Almost everything before that was cross platform.

Helldivers and Stellar Blade are Sony-funded, hence second party games. You can argue those help fill the void of "true first parties". Even so, the release calendar is made so they don't overlap each other. A new title by Sucker Punch or Guerrilla would have a tough time against those plus Ronin and Rebirth, games with exclusivity deals.

I agree that PS studios have been badly impacted by Jim Ryan/Hermen policies in the past few years and Horizon feels redundant, but it makes sense as a tie-in with the TV show.

nial

Gold Member
“Tech remake” would also be not a thing until now now. And a small budget? Lmao by what standards are you measuring that. It was made using the Decimna engine which was so popular they also used it for Death Stranding.

Remaster would be appropriate. Such as for example, TLoU1 Remastered. Or TLoU2 Remastered.
DkD7mOg.png

It's much more likely to be a remaster, I still believe insiders were simply twisting what they saw for some good clout.

GymWolf

I imagine at a minimum that they will replace the Aloy from the original with the new fat faced, square jawed Aloy from the second game.
If you chose the wrong angle she looked like wayne rooney in the first game...she was never a top model, she has always been a chubby face

gli-sviluppatori-di-horizon-zero-dawn-ci-parlano-della-creazione-di-aloy-1490004846410.jpg

If you cherry pick stuff from both games, she looks better in the sequel, mostly because of the more detailed face rendering, she look kinda lifeless in the first game.

Last edited:
When's the Spider-Man remake going to be announced?

Now that TLOU has been remade 6 times already, shouldn't they start working on the Uncharted remakes soon?

Last edited:
Top Bottom