• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am not too hot on it either, as I stated earlier, but execution is king, so I am willing to give it a chance, still.

Hopefully the story is good. There will be a lot of The Last of Us comparisons. The team better be prepared for that.

Oh for sure, I'd be willing to give it a chance if it reviews well. It is Sony Bend after all, they don't pump out any old dreck. I just can't help but feel that its (two!) showcases at E3 were shockingly hohum.

And now TLoU Pt2 is a thing as well. The comparisons will be unavoidable.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It didn't blow my mind but I felt that the might have something really cool there.

The demo was good from a technical aspect, the horde, and the many ways you can interact with them. What I didn't like was some voice acting and writing here and there (the whole dialogue with the guy the main character is looking for was kinda bland to me) and the way that horde ignore the player and fall to their death with practically nothing. But I think all that was due to an early look.

They said in interviews that a lot of the horde AI was turned off and even pointed out parts where they literally run right past the main character. I was also as interested in the fact that you can tackle the horde however you want. The developers said you can even just run right away and jump on your bike and get the fuck out of there. Though that depends on if your bike is easily reachable, is in good condition, and has enough gas in the tank to escape. It might not have all been shown off in the couple of demos but when the developers talk about their plans and ambitions for the game. Well lets just say it sounds even more ambitious than Horizon in some ways.

This might just be an enthusiast gamer thing as I've shown some random friends who are pretty casual that E3 demo and most of them used terms like,"edge of their seat" and "nail biting" to describe it. We tend to be a lot more jaded and "been there, done that" about games, especially ones with as tried and true premises as a zombie post apocalypse.
This pretty much hit the nail on the head. Go watch those reaction videos (I'm weird i like them) go read some blogs days gone got some attention in the casual mind for sure

Mubrik

It's interesting this thread is so divisive even though the reviews aren't and very few in here have actually had the opportunity to play the game. I honestly don't think it's due to it being an exlusive and people trying to discredit it because they're attached to something else. Perhaps it's due to GG having a bit of a controversial games resume, which in my opinion is a stance with more merit to it and one that I agree with (I don't think any of their games so far was better than B tier). Most importantly I think, is that people have grown a little wary of games with sick graphics scoring high.

I might be alone here, but when I saw a graphically very unimpressive game like Nioh receive glowing reception I was pretty confident in the game. Generally, I find graphics to affect a game's review score to an undeserving degree. In fact, I find graphics to be a pretty unsubstantial part of video games - a wow effect that fades fast at which point you better start digging the mechanics of the game or you wasted your money. Anyway, turns out Nioh has absolutely jaw-dropping gameplay is likely the clostes single-player experience to Bloodborne we've had ever since that game came out.

I'm just saying that good graphics lift the score floor way too high. Horizon might just be as good as advertised but I can't exactly blame people for at least being sceptical until they've laid their hands on it.

good opinion
but we know as of recent or this generation at least critics have been harsh on games review.
you'd hardly find a review been lifted solely due to graphics anymore, so its a bit of a baseless worry but its still good to be skeptical!
as other posters mentioned, the order 1886 didn't escape this.

KSa0mAV.gif
tf. lol

This might just be an enthusiast gamer thing as I've shown some random friends who are pretty casual that E3 demo and most of them used terms like,"edge of their seat" and "nail biting" to describe it. We tend to be a lot more jaded and "been there, done that" about games, especially ones with as tried and true premises as a zombie post apocalypse.
Pretty much. There has never been a zombie game like that before. It was incredible to watch.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I think Days Gone looks incredibly dull at the moment. Waiting to see more of it before writing it off until release, though.

I like that opening paragraph
Horizon Zero Dawn is a survival game. Not in the sense of the genre—where you must carefully ration food, brave the elements, and face endless waves of enemies—but in a way that brings to light how fragile humans are. We’re not Rambo, as many video games make us feel; we’re not invincible. Instead, this title joyfully mocks that mentality, often killing you in two or three unavoidable strikes from foes much more powerful than your frail human frame. If you want to live to adventure in Horizon, you’ll have to learn to survive it.

I mean, Horizon Zero Dawn's announcement trailer has 5.5m views (2015) and Days Gone gameplay trailer has 5.4m (2016).

71k likes and 1.6k dislikes for Horizon,
72k likes and 2.7k dislikes for Days Gone.

So they are pretty close in terms of first exposure. We will see how it evolves after this years e3.

Mubrik

I must say the reception to Days Gone perplexs me a bit. Its by and far one of the more interesting looking AAA games we've seen in a while however it seems like people see gruff white protagonist and zombies and shut their brains off. Instead of just focusing on the horde itself and looking at everything else going on in the couple of play throughs they've released and I find everything else what really makes the game impressive. Then reading about their ambitions for the game you realize that the horde is a very very small aspect of it, they even make a note of this in several interviews. The sandbox gameplay possibilities sound vast and impressive, whether they pull it off is unknown but there is a lot more going on in that game than a lot of zombies running at you.

count me in this group.
i havent seen anything new or heard anything new about the game since the reveal. tho i'll admit i never bothered searching.
tho i did feel there was more to it (like Sony will green light a run away from zombies simulator exclusive lol), but the initial showing just wasn't too impressive imo.
so the game just fell off the edge for me.
oh but the amount of zombies on screen was something

Horizon isnt an open world rpg though is it?
you're slackin, clearly a corridor shooter man

Which is weird because only 3 games have gotten open world zombie right, and all three of them are vastly different from each other; Dead Rising, State of Decay, and Dying Light. "Another Zombie game" is still the most teeth grinding phrase I hear. There haven't been that many, and most are shit.

In fact, they are not pretty unsubstantial. They are the video in video game. Without graphics no video game. The time, money, technical and artistic effort that is put into the graphics of a video game is a very substantial part of game development. As an artist myself I'd argue it is equally important to the gameplay part.

Graphics, story, art, sound gameplay are equal parties of what makes a video game. I have no clue why people who say one part doesn't matter. Sure graphics doesn't have to be great but it IS important! Otherwise why not just go back to playing text adventures?!

OT glad this is reviewing well but I never had doubts. been waiting for my pre-order for months!

I've been lurking in the thread without participation but my hype levels have been rising. I just at hope I have the time to play since I just became a new father.

reKon

Banned

Were we watching the same demo? I need to rewatch when I get home, but to me it seemed like a third person Left 4 Dead 2 with a bit more environmental interaction. I don't remember caring much for it.

Also, this wikipedia description for Day's Gone though...

"Open world zombie post-apocalyptic action-adventure survival horror video game"

HStallion

Were we watching the same demo? I need to rewatch when I get home, but to me it seemed like a third person Left 4 Dead 2 with a bit more environmental interaction. I don't remember caring much for it.

"Open world zombie post-apocalyptic action-adventure survival horror video game"

Well for one guns are useful in L4D whereas Days Gone they look rather useless on the horde and the demo gave the player an assault rifle with 750 bullets, tons of explosives, and basically turned the AI off on the horde as they don't attack him when up close, just run after him. The fact even with all that and the player was barely making a dent most of the time was really exciting for me. You can't just shoot your way out even with overpowering weapons and tons of ammo. Most games don't focus on tactical retreats like Days Gone did from those couple of videos alone and that kind of stuff really excites me. That and of course its an open world sandbox with vehicles to basically what is a corridor mp shooter.

Also not sure what the wikipedia description really has to do with anything.

We must have been watching different demos. The zombies there were a force of nature rather than something you can mow down safely with a gun. That's what makes it exciting. A zombie game where trying to fight is far worse than fleeing, avoidance, and just trying to gain a few seconds of breathing room. Even in Dying Light and State of Decay, you can hold your own.

Skeeter49

I don't agree we haven't seen Days Gone much, we've actually seen if more than GoW, since it was at the Pro reveal, even if it wasn't much, and we've seen it twice at the same E3.

I assumed they just showed the most basic of the game, but we'll have a better idea of that at E3.

I think something Days Gone needs that Horizon got a pass on, is good human AI as well as Infected AI. Get an idea of what the open world is like and who we'll be interacting with, and what the systems are like. And I will scream during the whole E3 show if they do a god mode demo again, where Deacon can't get hit, that's not how you demo a game, and that will never be how you demo a game.

I'm interested in the biker community of that game. Sadly they didn't show much of that.
Yeah, E3 needs to show off:
- the scale of the open world, like going from forest to big city and then showing the player exploring a building
- the biker element and the dynamic weather
- Another frantic zombie chase in a new environment. I'm imagining a horde like that crashing out of second story windows, pouring around buildings, and just flooding city blocks as you race and run to find a way to escape

Skeeter49

I should really make a what we KNOW about Days gone thread soon. Alot of ppl completely ignored the snippets of info we've gotten after e3

I need to relook some of that stuff up again, I remember a few things which sounded great, and you put that type of stuff in the E3 demo this year, the general consensus on the game should hopefully change.

Only very light RPG elements I'd say - none of the Far Cry games has ever felt like an RPG to me, not in the way that something like Deus Ex does.

"RPG" is such a broad term now. You have all kinds of role playing games: action (dark souls), tactical( ogre battle), Japanese (my fave), western (skyrim), and European (Far cry, deus ex, and horizon).
...ok, I made that last one up.

The far cry games have definitely felt like different RPGs to me, just with shooter gameplay.

Salex_

I think DG's issue is that it was shown early, so it came across as somewhat tech demo-ish. As in the focus seemed to be on the number of zombies and the way they were handling, which were rather unique. But I think it becomes a lot more interesting once you read about what they're doing with it

This sounds really good. If they show all of this in the next videos, the tone about this game will completely change. I hope this ends up being as good as it sounds. A sandbox game with fast, aggressive zombies, full environmental interactions, dynamic weather that affects gameplay, and AAA budget? This could be a ton of fun with co-op.

Mosse

Neo Member
I liked the cool enviroment and horde dynamics they showed and how they work together in Days Gone. If the feeling of running from the hord and using the enviroment to fight them of in inventive ways stays true in the final game, then I think I will enjoy it very much. But I need to see more of those interactions play out in different ways before I'm completely sold on it.

But I liked what we saw at E3 and in the alternative playthrough later.

Carn82

"RPG" is such a broad term now. You have all kinds of role playing games: action (dark souls), tactical( ogre battle), Japanese (my fave), western (skyrim), and European (Far cry, deus ex, and horizon).
...ok, I made that last one up.

The far cry games have definitely felt like different RPGs to me, just with shooter gameplay.

Aren't the recent Far Cry and Deus Ex games developed in Canada?

Wollan

That starting paragraph in the Kotaku review is pretty cool: http://kotaku.com/horizon-zero-dawn-the-kotaku-review-1792538336
Kotaku said:
For years now, the latest console generation has been coasting on the idea that more raw power means better games. The PS4’s newest exclusive, Horizon: Zero Dawn, is the rare game that delivers on that promise.

To play Guerilla Games’ Horizon: Zero Dawn is to feel awe.

Awe over sheer technical wizardry and its ability to transport you into a new world. Awe over discovering gargantuan mechanical dinosaurs and gradually uncovering the mysteries of a lost civilization. Awe over the fact I have never seen so many kickass women in a first party big-budget game, much less this many people of color in key roles. I often found myself pausing the game just to marvel at it all.

Good guy gal Horizon.

Unknown?

This pretty much hit the nail on the head. Go watch those reaction videos (I'm weird i like them) go read some blogs days gone got some attention in the casual mind for sure
That's good but as an enthusiast I don't think it's been there done that. Days Gone does stuff no other game has done yet. The sheer amount of zombies (freakers) on screen hasn't been done in a zombie game. It changes the gameplay considerably. Days gone may be fundamentally similar to games before it but it's like the difference between GTA3 and Driver 2.

HStallion

I think one of the cooler but more obvious things the Days Gone devs talked about was actually using the horde as a weapon against other humans in the game. I could see a heavily defended human base or town that you can't just ride into and fuck up on your own. Go riding around making noise and causing a ruckus and attract a few hundred pissed off hungry zombies and go driving back into the base with an entire horde on your tail and watch the chaos ensue.

It's interesting this thread is so divisive even though the reviews aren't and very few in here have actually had the opportunity to play the game. I honestly don't think it's due to it being an exlusive and people trying to discredit it because they're attached to something else. Perhaps it's due to GG having a bit of a controversial games resume, which in my opinion is a stance with more merit to it and one that I agree with (I don't think any of their games so far was better than B tier). Most importantly I think, is that people have grown a little wary of games with sick graphics scoring high.

I might be alone here, but when I saw a graphically very unimpressive game like Nioh receive glowing reception I was pretty confident in the game. Generally, I find graphics to affect a game's review score to an undeserving degree. In fact, I find graphics to be a pretty unsubstantial part of video games - a wow effect that fades fast at which point you better start digging the mechanics of the game or you wasted your money. Anyway, turns out Nioh has absolutely jaw-dropping gameplay is likely the clostes single-player experience to Bloodborne we've had ever since that game came out.

I'm just saying that good graphics lift the score floor way too high. Horizon might just be as good as advertised but I can't exactly blame people for at least being sceptical until they've laid their hands on it.
Meh, I'm gonna say crock of horse poo on this mate. Pretty games have gotten trashed by reviewers this gen and Horizon's praise has been from the previews Gameplay, Graphics, Story.

Even now with the critics having the complete games, the story is elevated even higher than graphics.

So yeah, disagree all around. Graphics add a ton to games and how immersive they are. People who actually played the game were mentioning how fun it is equally if not more than how gorgeous it looks. And anyone really following the outlook of the game could see GG has made something special from a mile away.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Dualshockers 10/10 add to Metacritic:
An absolutely fantastic game. It’s very polished, and comes with a compelling story, relatable characters, an absolutely fascinating setting, and top-notch gameplay.

Floody

If ND fails to release a new IP this gen, then it's safe to say that we have a new king as far as first party studios goes.

Entire gen without ND new IP...... so fucking depressing.

To be fair The Last of Us released the same year as the PS4 did, so it's not like they wouldn't have a good reason. I'm not expecting them too either, (even if Straley get his own team when he returns) I doubt they will have enough time before the PS5. A launch window brand new I.P from Naughty Dog would be kinda cool though.

- the scale of the open world, like going from forest to big city and then showing the player exploring a building
- Another frantic zombie chase in a new environment. I'm imagining a horde like that crashing out of second story windows, pouring around buildings, and just flooding city blocks as you race and run to find a way to escape
Yeah, the post above highlight what the goal are for the game and it really does sound like emergent on the fly gameplay scenarios will play a big focus. Zelda-esque in a way. They really didn't show this in the demo though, just endless bullets in a bunch of hordes. That just wasn't that interesting to see at this point.

We must have been watching different demos. The zombies there were a force of nature rather than something you can mow down safely with a gun. That's what makes it exciting. A zombie game where trying to fight is far worse than fleeing, avoidance, and just trying to gain a few seconds of breathing room. Even in Dying Light and State of Decay, you can hold your own.

I want to see more scenes of that. Like, going inside a building and just seeing a mass of zombies crash up against a glass window and then crushing it and spilling, seeing the front ones trip while the other ones overtake them.

I really enjoyed the demo they showed in their E3 conference. It was great.

HStallion

I'm actually glad Horizon is as good as it is. It will hopefully light a fire under the asses of other developers to up their open world game, literally.

woahitsshant

Neo Member
I'm definitely excited for Days Gone, which is surprising given that i felt the reveal was a bit underwhelming. I expect it's a game that's very difficult to showcase in a small gameplay demo. When Sony Bend speaks about the game it sounds like it will have much more nuanced gameplay systems, not just mindlessly blasting through a horde of zombies. It's an excited year for the zombie survival fans, we get State of Decay 2 this year as well (presumably).

Floody

Have they actually confirmed something like the bottom point is possible? Getting chased and cut of constantly until you have to just go through and on top of buildings to try and escape, sounds really cool.
Edit: Should add I mean unscripted too, just something that could happen naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom