• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floody

I kinda wish I didn't see the Bloodborne boss comparison, that's setting some mighty high expectations for me as like 5 of my top 10 boss fights of all time are from that game. If Horizon has anything approaching [Bloodborne boss names]
Ludwig, Maria, Orphan of Kos, Gascoigne, Logarius or (the GOAT) Gehrman
tier I'm going to be very happy.

yeah Horizon offers plenty for Ubisoft to think about in their open world games. Especially in how they implement sidequests.

That said, I do think Far Cry's cutscenes are way better and more entertaining as all their NPCs are insane. (of course, you're just watching a FMV) and you have no input in the dialogue so its a completely different approach to things

I kinda wish I didn't see the Bloodborne boss comparison, that's setting some mighty high expectations for me as like 5 of my top 10 boss fights of all time are from that game. If Horizon has anything approaching [Bloodborne boss names]
Ludwig, Maria, Orphan of Kos, Gascoigne, Logarius or (the GOAT) Gehrman
tier I'm going to be very happy.

I'd say no. It's a bit hyperbolic to say they're like bloodbourne bosses.

But I will add that some of the creatures are pretty fucking insane to fight.

• Thunderjaw
  • Storm Bird

Rockeater
This creature hasn't been shown in any media. This is the hardest for me

Tigress

I'm definitely excited for Days Gone, which is surprising given that i felt the reveal was a bit underwhelming. I expect it's a game that's very difficult to showcase in a small gameplay demo. When Sony Bend speaks about the game it sounds like it will have much more nuanced gameplay systems, not just mindlessly blasting through a horde of zombies. It's an excited year for the zombie survival fans, we get State of Decay 2 this year as well (presumably).

Heh, I was just discussing Days Gone in that thread and remarking how I was dismayed that the people who made Uncharted Golden Abyss are the developers as I *hated* the character writing in that game (I had to use willpower and my principle that I at least go through the story of a game once not to skip cut scenes). And using Horizon as a hope that maybe the writing can be better/new writers as the other recent game I can remember that's writing made me cringe that hard was Killzone Shadowfall and now we hear how good Horizon's writing is. So maybe they'll pull of the same thing GG did. Well it's not like the story was the big appeal for Days Gone (but then neither was it for Horizon. The thing that got me excited for Horizon when I first saw it was bow combat/hunting against big metal dinosaurs and looking quite monster hunterish. A kickass female lead certainly doesn't hurt either ;) ).

And I don't get State of Decay 2 :( (I really can't justify buying an xbox one for one game and it really is the only game I'm sad I'll miss not having an xbox one. Maybe one day when the one is old and not worth much... State of Decay was a good game).

yeah Horizon offers plenty for Ubisoft to think about in their open world games. Especially in how they implement sidequests.

That said, I do think Far Cry's cutscenes are way better and more entertaining as all their NPCs are insane. (of course, you're just watching a FMV) and you have no input in the dialogue so its a completely different approach to things

Just want to thank you and the rest of the GAFfers who gave us early impressions!

Alo0oy

Banned
I wish the game allowed you to keep your overriden machine, and then gave you the option to level it up and customize it. Maybe they can implement that in the inevitable sequel.

Netguide 10/10

There are many great PS4 exclusive games out there such as Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne. Horizon: Zero Dawn however blows those two games away.

-Calling something the "best ever" is subjective and opinions will vary. In my personal opinion though, Horizon: Zero Dawn is the best PS4 game

-Combat is where Horizon: Zero Dawn separates itself from lots of other games though. This game mixes primitive hunting techniques with modern day technology and as a result of this you have a combat system that is both unique and very satisfying.

-Despite some minor flaws, Horizon: Zero Dawn is just a masterpiece. It has the best story of any game I've played this whole generation and is arguably the prettiest game ever on PS4. In my opinion, every PS4 owner should own this game as it's the best game for the system released to date.

Do not know if they are on metacritic.

Floody

I'd say no. It's a bit hyperbolic to say they're like bloodbourne bosses.

But I will add that some of the creatures are pretty fucking insane to fight.

• Thunderjaw
  • Storm Bird

Rockeater
This creature hasn't been shown in any media. This is the hardest for me

Thanks for reeling me back in a bit. I saw a Thunderjaw fight video, and I know I'll enjoy fighting them a lot, not spoiling myself for the others though, but if they are anything like those in how much they can throw at ya, they should be a ton of fun too.

Austin Walker wrote his piece which highlights his overall peaks and valleys with the game, which in general, while less down on it than USGamer, basically shared the general disappointments as Eurogamer, Kotaku UK & USGamer; in the sense that the game design chemistry failed to come together for them in the way that it did for other reviewers, where the sum of its parts managed to elevate it into an experience of its own and not just feel derivative and uninspired.

While I think USGamer's piece feels a overtly critical, Kotaku UK, Austin and Eurogamer's write-up are all very well-reasoned and valid elements for GG to take a good look into as feedback for improvement.

Alo0oy

Banned
Holy shit, the game's front page on gameFAQs is amazing.

6nwWWo5.jpg

Alo0oy

Banned
Any chance someone could give a brief summary of each person's feeling about the game? I won't listen because I want zero spoilers, but would love to know how each person seems to rank the game.

Very high praise, mostly the diverse environments and the combat. They didn't talk about the story.

Memento

I wish the game allowed you to keep your overriden machine, and then gave you the option to level it up and customize it. Maybe they can implement that in the inevitable sequel.

I was thinking about that too. It would be very cool.

Horizon 2 please.

Also, on this subject, do you guys think they will try to flesh out the melee and make it the focus of the combat in the next one?

Skeeter49

Any chance someone could give a brief summary of each person's feeling about the game? I won't listen because I want zero spoilers, but would love to know how each person seems to rank the game.

Only watched a minute, and everyone said they liked it, got out to avoid spoilers like you, but I can get a good idea from Twitter. Brian Altano said it's right under Bloodborne for him in terms of PS4 exclusives. Marty said he played 20 hours of it and said it's been a very special game so far. Max seems to like it, though I believe he said on Twitter a few things in the game didn't grab his interest, so he might be the most divisive. Zach Ryan said he really loves the game, and it was better than he ever thought it'd be.

I believe the only one who actually beat it is Brian though.

140 pages! If I was on Twitch I would type in Kreygasm or somesuch. Glad everyone is having fun in here until the game comes out. I am counting the goddamn days until March 1st.

Horizon 2 please.

Also, on this subject, do you guys think they will try to flesh out the melee and make it the focus in the next one?
I don't see why. Flesh it out, sure. But a focus? When you're fighting giant aggressive robotic enemies with tons of ranged attacks? Doesn't seem like it would be an important addition

The God

Horizon 2 please.

Also, on this subject, do you guys think they will try to flesh out the melee and make it the focus of the combat in the next one?

I dunno about making it a focus. How many games succeed as being shooters and melee/action at the same time?

Alo0oy

Banned

Horizon 2 please.

I'd like more melee weapons like Swords, Axes, Hammers...etc. But I don't think they should be the focus, I think melee should just be improved and made as an additional viable option.

Memento

I don't see why. Flesh it out, sure. But a focus? When you're fighting giant aggressive robotic enemies with tons of ranged attacks? Doesn't seem like it would be an important addition

I dunno about making it a focus. How many games succeed as being shooters and melee/action at the same time?

I'd like more melee weapons like Swords, Axes, Hammers...etc. But I don't think they should be the focus, I think melee should just be improved and made as an additional viable option.

I just have this fetish for a western RPG with good melee combat and Guerrila seems to have nailed the combat in Horizon, so I would love to see they spending efforts on a fully realized melee system.

Elandyll

Banned

Agreed.
The worst thing they could do for a sequel is give Aloy an exoskeleton to fight robots in melee combat, and basically ground her.

What makes her special is her speed and agility, moves ,and stealth, not being a Gears of War grunt with a chainsaw spear.

My 2cps on that anyways.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Austin Walker wrote his piece which highlights his overall peaks and valleys with the game, which in general, while less down on it than USGamer, basically shared the general disappointments as Eurogamer, Kotaku UK & USGamer; in the sense that the game design chemistry failed to come together for them in the way that it did for other reviewers, where the sum of its parts managed to elevate it into an experience of its own and not just feel derivative and uninspired.

While I think USGamer's piece feels a overtly critical, Kotaku UK, Austin and Eurogamer's write-up are all very well-reasoned and valid elements for GG to take a good look into as feedback for improvement.

it just depends on whether or not you think horizon having elements of other popular games of the genre present is a bad thing or not.

So yeah Horizon has now passed Resident Evil VII and the WiiU version of BOTW on Amazon best sellers of 2017 its now on spot 7 compared to 14 earlier in the week, the positive reviews putting in work it seems.

I don't know... Eurogamer is one of my favourites sites for reviews but Horizon's made me think that the reviewer isn't done with The Witcher III yet.

When I try to think of an open world/sandbox game with good to great gameplay, MGSV is the only title that comes to mind.

Super pumped about the praise this game is getting for its gameplay.

When I try to think of an open world/sandbox game with good to great gameplay, MGSV is the only title that comes to mind.

Super pumped about the praise this game is getting for its gameplay.

I'll argue that Arkham and Mordor have good/great gameplay but some people don't like Free Flow anymore so.

I'll argue that Arkham and Mordor have good/great gameplay but some people don't like Free Flow anymore so.
Freeflow felt amazing to play at first, the problem is it wears thin fairly fast as there is little depth.

Its like the anti-souls combat (souls feels horrible the first time you touch it, but once you get in the swing of things it really pulls you in). I'd really like to see a game nail melee combat both with the initial feel and with actual depth.

Only watched a minute, and everyone said they liked it, got out to avoid spoilers like you, but I can get a good idea from Twitter. Brian Altano said it's right under Bloodborne for him in terms of PS4 exclusives. Marty said he played 20 hours of it and said it's been a very special game so far. Max seems to like it, though I believe he said on Twitter a few things in the game didn't grab his interest, so he might be the most divisive. Zach Ryan said he really loves the game, and it was better than he ever thought it'd be.

I believe the only one who actually beat it is Brian though.

Right on, I appreciate you breaking down each person's thoughts like that. Good to see them all enjoying the game after they were pretty 'meh' on Uncharted 4.

Loudninja

Gizmodo
When I first started Horizon: Zero Dawn, I didn’t think Guerrilla Games’ version of a post-apocalypse saga was going to pull me in. Twenty hours later, I can’t stop hunting—and getting wrecked by—robot animals. It’s a very good video game with a chilling, scifi vision of the far-future at its core.
It’s that wildlife that makes H:ZD feel exciting and foreboding. Moving through its environments really does feel like you’re exploring a post-apocalyptic landscape with its own ecosystem. The robot lifeforms that populate the landscape resemble horses, deer, and cattle just enough to feel familiar. Some travel in herds, stampeding across a plain while others stalk hillsides solo.
I became more obsessed with learning more about the arc of modern civilization’s doom, mostly because the ingredients in this particular apocalypse come across as chillingly plausible. As you wander the landscape collecting the scattered accounts of the culpable and victimized, a multi-layered horror story comes into focus.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/horizon-zero-dawn-is-a-beautiful-video-game-about-how-1792631888

I like his take on the game.

Honestly so many critics are jaded today, that's really a factor now. If I'm 15 on summer vacation games like Horizon are life changing experiences. When you're 34 and reviews games a tech for a living, you get annoyed by so many optional radio conversations that deepen the lore lol...

I'm going on a hunch and say gamers will be far more forgiving and less critical of Horizon's short comings and much more willing to invest in the game to get the most out of the story. I think the natural and most logical improvements are

- Improve facial animations further
- Even better writing/story
- More fleshed out melee combat
- More customization for the protagonist
- co-op MH-like mode

I think that US gamer review is bollocks and she's just being mean. I have a soft spot for people putting their creative work on the line and if I see quality, meh...I just feel like calling anything outside of that tiger game on PSN 4/10 is a spit in the face.

Loudninja

Gadgets 360 9/10
On the topic of interactions, Horizon Zero Dawn does, on occasion, let you choose your responses. They aren’t colour-coded "blue is good", "red is bad" kind of choices either. Instead your choices represent shrewd, honest, or angry responses. Unlike the one or two word description choices in Fallout 4 or the inaccurate summaries from many a Telltale game, they’re fairly on point and impact the game’s plot akin to The Witcher 3. While it might be tough to judge the impact of your choices immediately, they will colour your experience as you get to the end.
Without spoiling much, Horizon Zero Dawn is a near perfect narrative with spot on pacing, which doesn’t meander or have unnecessary filler portions like other games. Everything of consequence is explained and it doesn’t push itself to set up a sequel. Instead, all loose ends are tied up, which is a refreshing change from how most games are made these days.
Pros:

• Fun combat
  • Great story
  • Fantastic world to explore
  • Meaningful conversation system
  • Well-realised NPCs
Cons:
  • Lack of a ‘lock-on’ system in melee combat is puzzling
  • Inventory management could be better
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/reviews/horizon-zero-dawn-review-1662440

Tigress

I think Dragon's Dogma had a pretty fun bow gameplay too. Though I guess if you look at it it was definitely more focused on melee. But I don't see why a game couldn't do both well?

Unknown?

The facial animations may not be Uncharted levels but they are the best I've seen in an open world game. Blows stuff away like Mass Effect/Elder Scrolls/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom