• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can praise Horizon without putting down BoTW with falsehoods, as the previews state otherwise concerning it being empty or not. It's almost like you ignored his post of it being alright to want both for different reasons.
I will play and want to like both games. But botw's world looks like it suffers from the very common empty open world syndrome. I also love xenoblade which has mindblowingly awesome vistas and a rich "ecosystem". So far botw looks like hyrule field from oot or tp but with a few extra. Also I'm keeping my expectations low considering how bad skyward sword was.

This is true, but I also think horizon is a smaller world than BOTW. Yesterday I wanted to make my way through an covered part of the map and after running like 20-30 seconds there is almost always something in your path. A patrol of watchers, a new nest of robots, or worse. I kept getting pulled into a new fight or something to collect right smack in the middle of that herd. So I have to commend them, you can't walk far without encountering something to fight or collect, whether you want to is up to you though.

I am about 40 hours in 64% done with 13 main missions (11 side quests and like 8 errands) completed, I don't know how many the game has but I think I haven't even gotten half way with the main story I am so distracted by just hunting.
I'm partial to new IPs, especially one that looks and plays as good as this game.

Elfstruck

Let's not forget that Sony was the one who pushed the Halo killer for Killzone. PlayStation Europe put a DriveClub trailer saying "Forza Killer" as well. I'm glad that Sony wised up with Horizon and didn't do the whole Killer thing. Because it only guarantees a backlash.

Nah it's you, not Sony.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Let's not forget that Sony was the one who pushed the Halo killer for Killzone. PlayStation Europe put a DriveClub trailer saying "Forza Killer" as well. I'm glad that Sony wised up with Horizon and didn't do the whole Killer thing. Because it only guarantees a backlash.

No they did not. This is exactly what I said earlier in the thread. The media make these comparisons and then people start pretending it was Sony that said it. They pluck 'ammunition' out of thin air and use it ad nauseam.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Woah, looks like Gg really hit it out of the park. Nice. Just cancelled my preorder too haha. I will get it once I clear out the old back log later this year.

Truth is botw is going to overshadow this game and almost certainly score higher on metacritic.

But both look great so who cares?

I'm not so sure, it will be interesting to see the sales numbers though.
I'm more excited about BOTW, but Horizon feels like a title not to miss out on. Good that it releases a few days before March 3rd.

Mezoly

Truth is botw is going to overshadow this game and almost certainly score higher on metacritic.

It's going to score higher but not overshadowed it. Switch is sold out and no is buying a WiiU for one game. The WiiU is hard to find anyways. The game ceiling is limited.

Elandyll

Banned
How is that on Meta and not a lot of others??
Yeah, it's a bit weird considering that this site is not listed in their reference chart, and while Empire Online is not listed either, their score isn't used afaik.

This being said, MC does thing in very non transparent ways, so who knows? #shrug

At this point, unless they give a 6 or under, even Edge won't move the score out of 88 (up or down that is, unless they truly have a massive modifier).

Mezoly

Nah it's you, not Sony.

No they did not. This is exactly what I said earlier in the thread. The media make these comparisons and then people start pretending it was Sony that said it. They pluck 'ammunition' out of thin air and use it ad nauseam.

Okay I was wrong about the killzone thing. But the Drive club trailer absolutely happened. There was no reason Sony put that review quote about Forza in their own trailer.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

84e78a539dcbbe6ab8da75835ac3b784.jpg

I guess this is the Zelda thread again lol.

I don't think USC meant harm by his post. It came off wrong though. Horizon will sell more than BotW because the install base of the PS4 is by far bigger than Wii U + Switch.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
For Gods sake. Just buy the game, play the game and post what you think afterwards. If you never intend on buying it, stop taking pot shots and leave the thread. We're here for a good time and to enjoy a hobby that gives us a break from the more important problems out there.

Karak

Done. Review and render will be up later today.
Glad you see that performance patch going up though it didn't offer a huge change. But still good.

LotusHD

Banned
Horizon will outsell Zelda. In fact it will probably double Zelda's sales.

I think we can all sort of understand why people care about their games getting higher MC scores than others, and being reviewed more highly. It's dumb, but I get it. But caring about it selling more than other games is completely alien to me. Not like we work for Sony or Nintendo lol, so outside of just wanting it to sell well for its own sake, I'll never get why the "rivalry" even drags down to which game is going to sell more.

Wollan

I don't want to join any bickering but just feedback on sales-speculation (always fun):
Horizon, this first one, has no hope of outselling Zelda BOTW.

Splatoon sold more than Halo 5 apparently and that on the Wii-U with it's terrible install base. Zelda BOTW is the most promising entry in the series since Ocarina of Time. And it being a cross-platform release with it having to largely carry the Switch until fall it will have a superb attachment rate.

But Horizon will sell fantastically. Not just the same as Nintendo's dream game.

Servbot24

Banned
Double? I don't know... What does Zelda usually sell? Also, wiiu included or excluded?

Wii U included. Zelda sales vary a lot. TP sold a lot (close to 10 mil if I recall correctly) while SS only sold a couple million.

I'm predicting Horizon around 7 mil and Zelda in the 4 mil range.

I think we can all sort of understand why people care about their games getting higher MC scores than others, and being reviewed more highly. It's dumb, but I get it. But caring about it selling more than other games is completely alien to me. Not like we work for Sony or Nintendo lol, so outside of just wanting it to sell well for its own sake, I'll never get why the "rivalry" even drags down to which game is going to sell more.

I don't care at all personally. My comment was in response to someone saying BotW would overshadow Horizon. Not really possible if Horizon has twice as many players.

It'll be close because the install bases. Ps4 will be 60 million soon, wii u is at 13 and switch will be at what after its first year? Anyone's guess.

Watching MLB The Show Stream and they announced that they will have 3D audio to support the New Platnum Headsets, pissed me off that HZD, doesn't support 3D Audio such a blown opportunity.

As a long time Zelda fan, I for one, am just immensely happy that Guerrilla was afforded the opportunity to stretch their wings and do something outside of Killzone (I can only hope Retro is allowed the same), that they've apparently crafted a damned good game in a genre that they've no experience with is no mean feat. I went from mild interest (the E3 demo looked awesome, but Zelda's MGSV-esque degree of freedom was just spell-binding) to feeling that this is a must have title. Really, hats off to Guerrilla; I really didn't think they had it in em. If the groundwork is already this solid, it only bodes well for future titles.

Wii U included. Zelda sales vary a lot. TP sold a lot (close to 10 mil if I recall correctly) while SS only sold a couple million.

TP was on the Gamecube and the GCs install base was 10 million greater than the Wii U. TP launched with the Wii.

BotW is in the same situation as TP, except it's a smaller install base and TP, like you said, managed to sell 10 million copies.

Servbot24

Banned
How are zelda sales in Japan right now

No idea, I'm curious to find out. It would be fantastic if the series had a resurgence (which I think BotW sets up nicely to do).

TP was on the Gamecube and the GCs install base was 10 million greater than the Wii U. TP launched with the Wii.

BotW is in the same situation as TP, except it's a smaller install base and TP, like you said, managed to sell 10 million copies.

If you think Switch is the next Wii, then sure BotW could reach those numbers. More realistically though, Switch is going to sell between GC and N64.

Not to mention SS had the benefit of Wii userbase and still sold poorly.

LuuKyK

lol

Everyone who is buying a Switch is basically buying it to play Zelda so the attatch rate will be absurd. That and its also releasing on the Wii U. The double sales
post makes no sense.

I don't care at all personally. My comment was in response to someone saying BotW would overshadow Horizon. Not really possible if Horizon has twice as many players.
Nah. Zelda is gonna sell more then that. I think it will end around the 6-8 mil range. becuase of the Switch I think it will have strong legs.

Horizon 8 mil if it's bundled. If not it will cap at 6, maybe 7.

Is it written with Horizon's world runes?

I still trust in Edge to put the game on 87 territory.

It is a greek website xD.

Positives:
  • Geat looking game
  • The battles with the machines are incredible in terms of design, strategy, variety and the felling of achievement.
  • Rich but not oversaturated open world content and a big main campaign (at least 25 hours).
  • We've seen most of the ideas before, but they are impleted rather well so none is left complaining.
  • The story that is unfolding is ultimately really interesting and exciting

Negatives:

• Very bad human A.I. GG should have put a lot more effort into this , to avoid such tragic results
  • Melee combat. Very often, close combat ecnounters result in chaotic battles(he means it in a bad way).
  • Althought the world as a setting is believable, the conversations, the dialogs and the main characters are out of touch and potentially ruin the overall atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom