• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zelda is certainly going to be an excellent game (very rarely is a Zelda title not). It also appears Horizon is set to be an excellent game. I don't know what the problem is supposed to be.

silva1991

Yeah Zelda vs Horizon is this year's The Last of Us vs GTAV.

BoTW will get the higher scores, but Horizon will win more GOTY picks.

Bookmark my post.

reKon

Banned
The games are going to be compared and both games are going to be great. There will be some things done better in one game than there is in the other. And that will be fine too. It just seems that fanboys won't be able to grasp that.

Steroyd

Zelda is certainly going to be an excellent game (very rarely is a Zelda title not). It also appears Horizon is set to be an excellent game. I don't know what the problem is supposed to be.

Neither do I, now that I think about it more, unlike Battleborn v Overwatch there's no overlap because you have to either buy a PS4 for Horizon or a Switch for Zelda.

Edit: Forgot Zelda was on the WiiU, but so did everyone else.

Lady Gaia

Comparisons tend to show up to anchor a product to a positive reference point. When a new shooter is introduced it's a "Halo killer" because everyone used to think of Halo as top of the heap when it comes to console shooters. New phones would be "better than iPhone" because that's a similar reference point.

So for fans of an established franchise to crow about how it's better than Horizon is an enormous compliment. It means that, for gamers, Horizon has successfully achieved enough mindshare to be worth comparing yourself to. I just know that I'll be enjoying both games next week and don't much care about how they compare. I want them to be different experiences.

Comparisons tend to show up to anchor a product to a positive reference point. When a new shooter is introduced it's a "Halo killer" because everyone used to think of Halo as top of the heap when it comes to console shooters. New phones would be "better than iPhone" because that's a similar reference point.

So for fans of an established franchise to crow about how it's better than Horizon is an enormous compliment. It means that, for gamers, Horizon has successfully achieved enough mindshare to be worth comparing yourself to. I just know that I'll be enjoying both games next week and don't much care about how they compare. I want them to be different experiences.
I don't agree.

Horizon is the newest open world action RPG and it has bows. Zelda is going open world, and it has bows. They release closely to eachother

That's it. Being compared to Horizon is not being used as a compliment

Harmen

To me, the success of each of these titles only contributes to my feeling that this quarter is one of the best in gaming in a long time. What a fantastic start of the year.

aravuus

I can't say I agree. At least in the preview that was posted on the last page, the comparison really just sounds like they're downplaying Horizon for... No apparent reason whatsoever except for easy fanboy bait I guess.

Maybe if it was in a Horizon preview where they compare the game to Zelda, and not by saying "Horizon seems dumb compared to this other good game that doesn't actually have that much in common with Horizon and is compared to just because they release so close to each other" I could buy this line of thinking.

Mario, Persona and maybe even Red Dead are still coming.

I will raise hell if after all these years Persona 5 won't end up being my goty

e: well maybe not raise hell. I'll sit in my room and be bummed about it for 15 minutes and then I move on to something else.

I can't say I agree. At least in the preview that was posted on the last page, the comparison really just sounds like they're downplaying Horizon for... No apparent reason whatsoever except for easy fanboy bait I guess.

Maybe if it was in a Horizon preview where they compare the game to Zelda, and not by saying "Horizon seems dumb compared to this other good game that doesn't actually have that much in common with Horizon and is compared to just because they release so close to each other" I could buy this line of thinking.

I will raise hell if after all these years Persona 5 won't end up being my goty

I think she means that downplaying Horizon is aknowledging it as a threat therefore it's a compliment (in a weird way).

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Bookmark my post.
Ehhh, you forgot the biggest problem: too many great PS4 exclusive this year
Look 2016 gotypicks
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 159
The Critics' Picks - 88
The Readers' Picks - 71

Overwatch - 96
The Critics' Picks - 85
The Readers' Picks - 11

DOOM - 29
The Critics' Picks - 26
The Readers' Picks - 3

Battlefield 1 - 15
The Critics' Picks - 6
The Readers' Picks - 9

The Last Guardian - 15
The Critics' Picks - 15
The Readers' Picks -
UC4 got most of Readers' Picks, its Critics' Picks is close to Overwatch
But as GOW and other great games might release this year, it would disperse poll
It's likely that Zelda get more Critics' Picks, and more Readers' Picks because of this

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Breh we haven't even played either of them, and there's still like 10 months left to go...

it's just a prediction. they are fun to go back and see who got it right.

If RDR2 does come out this year, it might shake things up especially since it's releasing closer to award cycle. You also have Mass Effect releasing next month which split GOTY awards from RDR1 back in 2010.

I think Horizon will win more awards because it's a Sony exclusive like Uncharted 4. Overwatch won nearly every major award but U4 won smaller sites. Zelda will be second with RDR2 being a close third.

I think another thing is how people take it when one is said to do something better than the other. Like, it isn't, "Oh, this seemingly great game does X better than this seemingly great game". It is, "Damn! Yikes!".

Like, something being better in one doesn't make the other poor. A mess.

it's just a prediction. they are fun to go back and see who got it right.

If RDR2 does come out this year, it might shake things up especially since it's releasing closer to award cycle. You also have Mass Effect releasing next month which split GOTY awards from RDR1 back in 2010.

I think Horizon will win more awards because it's a Sony exclusive like Uncharted 4. Overwatch won nearly every major award but U4 won smaller sites. Zelda will be second with RDR2 being a close third.

Do not disregard games quality, we don't know how good Mass Effect Andromeda, Read Dead Redemption and Zelda Breath of the Wild are. The only game available right now is Horizon Zero Dawn.

My advise is honestly not to stress too much over comparisons being made. We ourselves as fans end up making comparisons due to *insert reasons* and naturally writers in the same head space will do so too, depending on the circumstances.

Ridesh

Banned

Bookmark my post.

?

Horizon *only* has an 88, the one time that a game with less than a 90 won GOTY was DAI, and it was because of the weak competition that year, I mean, I know, Bayonetta 2, but we all know that it wasn't going to be elected by the mainstream media.

I think that Horizon is going to be that game that appears in almost all goty nominees lists, but will barely win any, just like Titanfall 2 / Dishonored 2 last year.

It's cool that zelda is good but since i am not getting a switch anytime soon until it actually got some games i care about and i already had horizon preorder via psn....i only care about horizon at the moment..

I think another thing is how people take it when one is said to do something better than the other. Like, it isn't, "Oh, this seemingly great game does X better than this seemingly great game". It is, "Damn! Yikes!".

Like, something being better in one doesn't make the other poor. A mess.
Unfortunate but true. Just like we predicted before

cheesekao

?

Horizon *only* has an 88, the one time that a game with less than a 90 won GOTY was DAI, and it was because of the weak competition that year, I mean, I know, Bayonetta 2, but we all know that it wasn't going to be elected by the mainstream media.
Did the media just conveniently forget about Sm4sh and MK8 as well? I don't really care about them but I thought that they reviewed very well and had very positive fan reactions.

FATALITY

Banned

Although players were solving line puzzles rather than interacting with full 3D environments, the game flow of completing quick puzzle sections with travel in-between is a quality that both games share. And just like in The Witness
There are times I've felt like I'm playing a survival game, most notably Don't Starve
I wish I could say I enjoy the combat. It's not that it's bad, it's just boring

http://www.gamerevolution.com/featu...he-wild-is-like-the-witness-meets-dont-starve

yeah opinions

lets stop this zelda talk

Did the media just conveniently forget about Sm4sh and MK8 as well? I don't really care about them but I thought that they reviewed very well and had very positive fan reactions.

You could say it's reflective of the natural inclinations of game critics when it's time to give awards to games, but generally there is a trend where sports/fighting/racing games are put in their own bracket, no matter how good they are, because the more... "expansive" genres are the ones in the tier-1 of being primed for GotY awards.

That's my perception anyway. Games like Forza Horizon 3 will always naturally be a afterthought if there are other games in other genres that are seen as equally as good.

Kalentan

Why are you trying to rile everyone up

To be fair I think it's something people need to prepare for. As much as it sucks to say, there will probably be a pretty quick turn around backlash against Horizon for not being as deep as BoTW. Regardless of Horizon's quality on it's own. It's kind of how these things are sometimes.

News outlets will begin to run with stories on this comparing the two to no doubt generate clicks and controversy.

cheesekao

You could say it's reflective of the natural inclinations of game critics when it's time to give awards to games, but generally there is a trend where sports/fighting/racing games are put in their own bracket, no matter how good they are, because the more... "expansive" genres are the ones in the tier-1 of being primed for GotY awards.

That's my perception anyway. Games like Forza Horizon 3 will always naturally be a afterthought if there are other games in other genres that are seen as equally as good.
Now that you mention it, I did notice that there's generally a distinct lack of fighting/racing games when it comes to GOTY picks. It's a shame that games within those genres are sidelined because some of them are pretty amazing games.

LotusHD

Banned
To be fair I think it's something people need to prepare for. As much as it sucks to say, there will probably be a pretty quick turn around backlash against Horizon for not being as deep as BoTW. Regardless of Horizon's quality on it's own. It's kind of how these things are sometimes.

News outlets will begin to run with stories on this comparing the two to no doubt generate clicks and controversy.

No one needs to prepare for it in a review thread for Horizon though...

silva1991

Breh we haven't even played either of them, and there's still like 10 months left to go...

Just a prediction. I will buy and enjoy both day one personally.

I was gonna quote Ridesh and tell him avbout Smash, but you have a good point.

RDR2 will win the GOTYs.

image.php

:p

I hope it does come put this year.
Still looking at every year's GOTY picks, it doesn't seem that Nintendo games are very popular there. That's why I think Horizon can put up a good fight.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild, being a "The Legend of Zelda" game, is a Zelda game, unlike Horizon, which is not a Zelda.

We cannot expect non-Zelda games to be like Zelda games, and Horizon is the perfect example of this. Horizon is not Zelda, but Zelda is a Zelda, as most Zeldas are.

/joking

In a more serious note, I'm really excited about this. Since the reveal trailer and gameplay at E3 they caught my attention, and was one of the games that made me buy a PS4.

I haven't seen any other trailer or gameplay feature in order to get in completely unspoiled, and hoping to discover the world. I just know I'll be playing in a post-apocalyptic-prehistoric world with robo-animals that I can hunt.

I cannot wait to play it next week.

Ahasverus

Red Dead has this year on lock. And that doesn't take away how excellent this game is. Zelda is gonna be good, but no need to project insecurities in a cheerful thread like this one.

CHC

I think I'm just going to buy this and preload it. I never really buy full price anymore but what the fuck, might as well treat myself. Between this, Nioh, Yakuza, it seems the least likely of the three to drop in price soon. Plus you know, launch hype and OT participation privileges - always kind of fun.

That's not what the dudes in the early impressions thread said

But yes, enough of this comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom