• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How the heck i'm supposed to clean my glasses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

I don't have plastic lenses so you may want to see if they're sensitive to hot water, but for my and my wife's glasses I rinse the lenses under hot water, use a disposable cheap lens wipe from Walmart, rinse again, and blow the remaining water off each side of each lens individually. I'm unusually fastidious about having clean lenses and I can say this is ny far the best method I've found. Again, though, you'll want to make sure the lenses won't be affected by hot water before using this method. I'd call the office or store where you bought them to check on that, since you definitely don't want to damage them even slightly, or even gradually over time, in the process of cleaning them. I suppose if so you could always try lukewarm water instead.

Welcome to Hell OP. Glasses will never stay clean, just resign yourself to dealing with sweat and eyelash streaks and cleaning fingerprints and dirt with your shirt

LeleSocho

Banned
Welcome to Hell OP. Glasses will never stay clean, just resign yourself to dealing with sweat and eyelash streaks and cleaning fingerprints and dirt with your shirt

WUINFiA.gif

Ponn

Banned
You will stop babying them in about 2 months and be cleaning them with newspaper or your shirt in no time.

dluu13

I don't have plastic lenses so you may want to see if they're sensitive to hot water, but for my and my wife's glasses I rinse the lenses under hot water, use a disposable cheap lens wipe from Walmart, rinse again, and blow the remaining water off each side of each lens individually. I'm unusually fastidious about having clean lenses and I can say this is ny far the best method I've found. Again, though, you'll want to make sure the lenses won't be affected by hot water before using this method. I'd call the office or store where you bought them to check on that, since you definitely don't want to damage them even slightly, or even gradually over time, in the process of cleaning them. I suppose if so you could always try lukewarm water instead.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of plastic mine uses but I've poured boiling water on it before.

Prez

Buying glasses with a Clean Coat will not keep them clean but it makes a big difference.

yes, a just small drop of dish soap will work better than anything. I have oleophobic coating on my glasses, and microfiber cloths still just spread the grime around if the lenses are particularly bad.

Yep, I use washing up liquid. Although not as often as I should. Damn, just realised how much they need cleaning...

Ran Echelon

Neo Member
My old glasses were fine, I could clean them with a lens cloth no problem.
With my new ones, for some reason, this is impossible. Any attempt to clean with a cloth, with a cloth and cleaning spray, with disposable glasses wipes...just leaves a smeary mess. I have to resort to smearing a drop of washing up liquid over the lenses and rinsing them off, that works well.

Phu

Banned
I've worn glasses most of my life and every time I get a new pair they give me a microfiber cloth and some wet lens cloths. Always worked fine for me.

Aceofspades

Banned
You should pay premium price for lenses that can hardly ever get scratches and fingerprints (I don't recall the name of it, but its about $150 extra just for glass lenses.)

Muffdraul

My last pair of glasses had plastic lenses w/ non-reflect coating. I only washed them one way- warm water and dish detergent, using only my fingers. No cloth. This was how the optometrist I bought them from instructed me to clean them. They lasted me four years and the frames eventually got pretty beat up and fell apart (towards the end I had replaced the screws with wires I took out of twisty-ties) the lenses were in perfect shape up to the last day I wore them.

But if you don't give a fuck if they get all scratched to hell, use your shirt.

I just use my shirt like most people do. If I have a microfiber cloth on hand, I'll use it but my t-shirt works 99% of the time.

Been wearing glasses for years now and I've never managed to scratch them while using my shirt to clean them.

Sölf

No, no, use that deep breath thing to fog the lenses all, "Huh huh" like.

This. And then a normal piexe of cloth, like a handkerchief. I rarely use water, maybe only once every 1-2 months or when I got a really nasty stain I can't get off without proper cleaning.

Strimei

Wear contacts.
I have no idea why people put up with glasses.

I cannot stand the idea of touching my eyes.

It stems from when I was in 2nd grade and got a papercut on my right eye (yes, you read that right, a papercut). Ever since, had a phobia of anything touching my eyes.

I wore glasses most my life, got Lasik done last year, but they can be a pain to clean properly especially if you have a dirty job. I always used a micro-fiber cloth with alcohol and it would work pretty good but some of those streaks would stay on until I got a new pair. Part of the problems with glasses.

When not at home i use my shirt. You could breath onto the glasses if that makes sense and then clean it right away. At home i have a microfibre cloth if that's the correct word for it and that cleans it perfectly.

The things i have heard from friends about contacts i decided to choose for glasses. Just seemed like the more cheaper and better option too.

You will stop babying them in about 2 months and be cleaning them with newspaper or your shirt in no time.
Pretty much. I've got a bunch of micro scratches on my lenses. I can't even tell the difference anymore.

Glasses are made for a two year life span. Even using your shirt and doing things they say you shouldn't, the glasses should hold up for a couple years before you get very noticeable scratches and wear on the lenses. At that point you get another eye exam and new glasses.

Brandson

As a wearer of glasses for many years, my default practical cleaning method is to breathe closely on the lens to fog it up then immediately wipe it with the cloth that came with the glasses, then breathe on the other side of the lens and repeat if needed until they are clean enough. Using your shirt will just smear everything around. I have several frames from Salt and their cloths are perfect for this. I keep a few at home and one at work. I use them to clean monitors and television screens too, but then wash the cloths before using on glasses again.

Every few weeks, or when the glasses get particularly dirty, I run mildly warm water over them from a tap, dab them dry with one cloth, and then do the above routine with another cloth to get them all clear. I find this generally to be more reliable than using the provided cleanser bottles on the lenses, which often cause even more smearing.

My method is very odd to people.

I use a small bit of hand soap and lather the lenses with watersoap. Rinse and here is the weird part, I blow on the lenses really hard and really close. The water beads off and doesn't leave water spots. I use those jet hand dryers if I'm out and about to not look like a total weirdo

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Glasses really are terrible. I've been wearing them for like two years and I'm thinking of just getting contacts now. I'm not really well-informed on how much more expensive they are or anything though.
Depends on your prescription. I have astigmatism, so I use Acuvue oyasis which are pricey, but worth it.

Microfiber cloth and these. Keep a few in your car or in your bag. Always extremely handy to have. I even use them on my 3DS and Vita.

I honestly wouldn't use water on them. Just saying from experience that mine tended to fog up after that. Never had that crisp, invisible lens look after that.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Water faucet + dishwasher soap + rub in the soap + rinse lens + use a paper towel to dry up droplets (dab don't smear) = clean as fuck

Using your shirt helps in a pinch but oils will still be present that messes with contrast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom