• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How xbox keeps winning E3 - Delayed Input with Kyle Bossman

feynoob

Gold Member
Buy studios.

Show games way too early.

Show the same games again during last production

Profit???

Chasing Tom And Jerry GIF by Max

RCU005

They have shown the same games every year. They announced many of them way too early. Perfect Dark was fake gameplay. Still, many games still didn't have release window.

But, they something, unlike Sony. Sony showed pure garbage (expect Astro Bot).

Nintendo is next, but I don't expect much, since they will obviously keep their biggest announcements for Switch 2 announcement (or afterwards).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I said it in another thread but Sony could have announced a bunch of 2026 stuff and had a “better” showing, what good would it have done us? They didn’t even announce a platform for PD IIRC.
Still waiting for them to show their 2023 stuff because 2022 was too early to show them and...
what year is it GIF

Don't get me wrong their 3rd Party Relations is good but 1st Party....

Last edited:
Is it really a win when basically the other 2 big companies didn't have a showcase? Other than the Xbox showcase there was the SGF showcase but nothing else showcase wise.
I mean Nintendo is going to have a direct soon but not a big showcase as the Switch 2 is rumoured to be releasing next year and would want to save their big reveals for a Switch 2 showcase.
Same with Sony they had a standard SOP and not a big showcase as they are rumoured to be releasing their PS5 Pro in/around November and will be saving their games for that.

MS had a really good show but most of their games were games that were revealed years ago (way to early imo) and the rest were 3rd party games that are coming to PS/PC anyway.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I said it in another thread but Sony could have announced a bunch of 2026 stuff and had a “better” showing, what good would it have done us? They didn’t even announce a platform for PD IIRC.

Most of what MS showed were 2024 and 2025 titles, but go off 😃

Sony announced Fairgame$ and Marathon last year. Those certainly aren’t out this year. So…basically the same 2 year gap if they show up in 2025.

Perfect Dark was fake gameplay.

Somehow that snuck past digital foundry and other experts, eh?

Still, many games still didn't have release window.

Irrelevant. Nobody thought the legendary Sony E3 2015 was bad because no release date for FF7R and Shenmue 3.

Also, most of the games at the showcase had release windows.

ChiefDada

Exactly. MS basically blew their entire load for the remainder of the generation. It was a great show, but why should Sony be fearful of anything when they have their own show in a few months?

nial

Gold Member
Helldivers 2 - May 2023/February 2024 (originally planned for late 2023)
Rise of the Ronin - September 2022/March 2024
Stellar Blade - September 2021/April 2024 (originally planned for 2023)
Concord - May 2023/August 2024
Astro Bot - May 2024/September 2024
Until Dawn - January 2024/Fall 2024
Lego Horizon Adventures - June 2024/Holiday 2024
I can at least see a pattern for 3 or 4 examples here.

nial

Gold Member
Heck, I'm starting to wonder if they could have even MORE first-party games slated for late 2024 announced at a September showcase, but obviously not getting my hopes up.

nial

Gold Member
Still waiting for them to show their 2023 stuff because 2022 was too early to show them and...
what year is it GIF

Don't get me wrong their 3rd Party Relations is good but 1st Party....
If with '1st party' you mean their internal studios, do people here realize that 9 out of their 14 console studios have already released (or are about to release) a new original project on PS5? Seriously, since no one here cares about Media Molecule or Haven, these complaints seem to be only directed at Sucker Punch, ND, and probably SIE Bend Studio.

Topher

Gold Member
When we all play, everyone wins.

MS winning no longer means Sony lost.

I'm not so sure. This second half of this gen could be very different from the first half. Somehow Microsoft was able to overcome a shitton of bad PR and has generated more excitement with one showcase than anything Sony has presented in years. Sony and Microsoft are still competitors in the console market and after the Xbox showcase, I would not be a bit surprised to see Xbox win a couple of months or more in the US.

It doesnt even sound like a showcase is in the works for the Pro reveal (which I expected there would be)

Sony just seems complacent right now. They just going to phone in the rest of this gen?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Is xbox hardware selling out from people hyped from the showcase? If not, then it not really "winning" much.

Xbox Series X is sold out on Amazon. In the Atlanta area where I live, there is currently only one store that has XSX in stock. XSS has plenty of stock though it seems. Could just be a temporary bump in sales due to the show. Hard to say.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Is xbox hardware selling out from people hyped from the showcase? If not, then it not really "winning" much.
We're for the most part not talking about hardware and the usual juvenile console warrior stuff here (or so I hope), we're talking about Xbox published games which most now or in the future are multiplatform titles. I'm not a console gamer, yet I've "wishlisted" several "winning" titles from the showcase. I would be considering throwing in the towel on myself the day the sales lists dictated how I dealt with my hobby.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
If you look closely at that pd video you would notice it wasn't the xbox version. I spoke with multiple people and after reviewing it they agree that's its either 1 or 2 with major violations

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You win E3 by appealing to the market who doesn't have relevance in the greater war. You win E3 by showing off Hi Fi Rush type games. You lose E3 by showing off Fortnite Battle Royale type games.

Winning E3 means next to nothing.

It doesnt even sound like a showcase is in the works for the Pro reveal (which I expected there would be)
There's definitely a showcase in the works for many different reasons. They have multiple first party titles which they plan to release next year allegedly, there's the pressure to respond to Xbox's strong showcase. They also need to convince people to buy the PS5 (and the Pro) as well, the console won't just magically fly of the shelves, especially since they're not releasing any major first party titles till next year.

SHA

It's Neil Druckman's privacy, I think it matches 343 studio fairly.

Top Bottom