• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How xbox keeps winning E3 - Delayed Input with Kyle Bossman

Topher

Gold Member
Absolute nonsense, yet you proclaim it with such confidence, delusions of a fanboy.
Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

Hugare

I said it in another thread but Sony could have announced a bunch of 2026 stuff and had a “better” showing, what good would it have done us? They didn’t even announce a platform for PD IIRC.
I would be honestly fine with it.

Better than being in the dark about next releases and trying to find reasons to keep my PS5 while I wait, honestly.

This "short time between announcement/release" strategy works when you actually got new releases to show.

If it wasnt for FF VII Rebirth, my PS5 would have been collecting dust this year.

Sony's 2015 E3 was epic and its remembered to this day, and part of that was due to Final Fantasy Remake being announced. It was released in 2020, 5 years later.

Last edited:

March Climber

Gold Member
If they made a show at E3 that was mostly multiplatform, they would have been thrashed. Now it's okay, cool!
One of their most applauded conferences was the year they revealed Cyberpunk and Dragonball FighterZ, amongst many other big reveals.

Edit: Just like what Kyle Bossman said in the video, I'd argue that showcase pacing and reveals have not really been a problem with MS for a while now, instead their problem has been releasing games within a reasonable time frame and making sure that they are quality releases.

Last edited:
There's definitely a showcase in the works for many different reasons. They have multiple first party titles which they plan to release next year allegedly, there's the pressure to respond to Xbox's strong showcase. They also need to convince people to buy the PS5 (and the Pro) as well, the console won't just magically fly of the shelves, especially since they're not releasing any major first party titles till next year.

With the way things are I think Xbox would help sell PlayStations.

II_JumPeR_I

They are not winning anything. 90% of that Showcase didnt have a freaking release date.
Gears had not even year which is kinda troubling when that thing should have been in dev since at least 2020?
Didnt really excite me that show. I dont play Videos, i wanna play these games.

gothmog

Gold Member
I would be honestly fine with it.

Better than being in the dark about next releases and trying to find reasons to keep my PS5 while I wait, honestly.

This "short time between announcement/release" strategy works when you actually got new releases to show.

If it wasnt for FF VII Rebirth, my PS5 would have been collecting dust this year.

Sony's 2015 E3 was epic and its remembered to this day, and part of that was due to Final Fantasy Remake being announced. It was released in 2020, 5 years later.
Can you define what "works" means? Because last time I checked Sony was doing just fine with this strategy.

Lupin25

Xbox had a good show, but they’ve had a few good shows. Put it in perspective:

MS shows their entire hand for the gen with no release dates.

Yes, MS is better at showing off games than putting them out in a good fashion.
Sony/Nintendo just dont fall for window dressing anymore like some here. They do their own thing, drop games now and the next 6 months, and continue to run shit.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Xbox had a good show, but they’ve had a few good shows. Put it in perspective:

MS shows their entire hand for the gen with no release dates.

Yes, MS is better at showing off games than putting them out in a good fashion.
Sony/Nintendo just dont fall for window dressing anymore like some here. They do their own thing, drop games now and the next 6 months, and continue to run shit.

Nintendo? Yes. Sony just has no games this gen, and the few they do are remasters or sequels. Unfortunately, there is no need for them to do much else nowadays.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It was a great show....yes "show". But almost no game had any meaningful release date. Majority will even see some delay in the end. Other then that, casuals don't care because the majority of the games will release day one on PS5.

They had a good show last year, and then they released 3 games, which 2 (Redfall and Forza Motorsport) of them flopped and 1 was somehow dissapointing in the end (Starfield).

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Without the context of an industry wide showcase season where there's some sort of competitive business angle to who makes the best pitch... Who really cares?

Right now, its just a good show at a fairly quiet time of the year for the industry.

The world's just changed. Its like back in the days before there was a 24-hr news cycle and the internet, nightly network TV news and current affairs shows were huge. But now, not nearly so much.

E3's dead. So, why even try to "win" a dead thing?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I can guarantee that if Sony had something to show in June, no one would be saying E3 is dead. Summer Game Fest, Devolver, MS, Ubisoft, PC Gaming Show, and multiple other shows all happened. It's still a thing, even if Sony sits it out.

Aenima

Funny that we kept hearing "wait until next E3" for year after year, and it wasn't until after E3 died that they succeeded.
When you ask your 2 other friends for a race and they just sit at the starting line and you'r the only one running, you win by default. MS was the only that did a Showcase this year. Last Playstation Showcase was in 2021. After that we only got 30 mins State of Plays spread out.

Im not a big fan of showing GC for games that are in the begining of development, but Sony aproach to total silence is also terrible.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Did I watch a different showcase to everyone else?
Just because it wasn't shit, doesn't mean it was great.
Have we got used to mediocrity?

Most here seem to think it was pretty great, myself included.

bender

What time is it?

Mediocrity is beyond our grasp at this point.

Three

I can guarantee that if Sony had something to show in June, no one would be saying E3 is dead. Summer Game Fest, Devolver, MS, Ubisoft, PC Gaming Show, and multiple other shows all happened. It's still a thing, even if Sony sits it out.
And what about Nintendo? E3 is dead no matter how you try to slice it.
ohhh-yeeaahh-i-accept-that.gif

Lokaum D+

I said it in another thread but Sony could have announced a bunch of 2026 stuff and had a “better” showing, what good would it have done us? They didn’t even announce a platform for PD IIRC.
It would made us hyped for 2026 shit, what do we have to get hyped for ? Be a Sony fan was about the hype for the next First party game that would hit 90+ on MC, now is about waiting for the next 70+ Gaas game.

Last edited:

Hugare

Can you define what "works" means? Because last time I checked Sony was doing just fine with this strategy.
They are doing just fine 'cause they nailed with the PS4 and now they have no competition with Xbox

In terms of new announcements and how happy fans are with the brand right now? Dont think so

I believe that they are damaging the brand with many decisions that they doing right now. It may take years to reflect on them tho, so its not obvious at the moment.

I speak for myself when I say this, but I wont be buying a PS6 on day one like I did with the PS5.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Did I watch a different showcase to everyone else?
Just because it wasn't shit, doesn't mean it was great.
I can understand people being excited for Gears and maybe Doom?

But otherwise it was just simply a low-bar.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Sony has had a stellar first half of 2024 with Rebirth and Stellar Blade, but aside from Astro Bot their entire pipeline is filled with trash live service games like Fair games and Concord. They need to step up, it's fucking embarrassing, especially after that lame State of Play.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Sony has had a stellar first half of 2024 with Rebirth and Stellar Blade, but aside from Astro Bot their entire pipeline is filled with trash live service games like Fair games and Concord. They need to step up, it's fucking embarrassing, especially after that lame State of Play.
Thankfully that trash isn’t coming from their proven studios.

Three

If they made a show at E3 that was mostly multiplatform, they would have been thrashed. Now it's okay, cool!
Look no further than the PlayStation showcase in 2023 where Alan Wake 2, Dragons Dogma 2, , Resident Evil 4, Ghostrunner 2, The Talos Principle 2, Immortals of Aveum, Assasins Creed Mirage, Metal Gear Solid Delta, were announced for the first time and shown, that third party showing was huge. In addition to that you had new hardware announced plus other first party games like Spiderman, Helldivers 2, Stellar blade etc but the show was still considered a huge disappointment. I remember people making lists crossing out third party multiplatform games to show how disappointing the show was. Now though third party is cool indeed. I suspect though that a lot of it is excitement about finally seeing things announced 4-5 years ago.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I explained this to someone else already a week ago. Gamepass is still a win for Xbox consumers if you're on GP. There's a reason you see a lot of excitement around some of these 3rd party games, but no one was talking about AC Japan at the Xbox show. It was just a normal 3rd party game.

When they show a 3rd party game in GP, you essentially just got told that you have a new game in your library and soon on your system to play for no additional cost. There's really not anything else like it. They're not even having to sell you on it. They're just showing you something you just got.

Last edited:

Three

When they show a 3rd party game in GP, you essentially just got told that you have a new game in your library and soon on your system to play for no additional cost. There's really not anything else like it. They're not even having to sell you on it. They're just showing you something you just got.
Most of the big third party games at the xbox show are not coming to gamepass though. Metal Gear Delta, Assasins Creed Shadows, Dragon Age, not on gamepass. DA will be on EA play at some point though.

We still didn’t see Sony‘s showcase. All we got was a state of play, who was clearly rather meant to fulfill some marketing obligations rather than creating hype. I am pretty sure Sony first wanted to see what XBOX is bringing and prepare a suitable answer for their showcase.

reinking

Gold Member
Okay greenies. I want to join in on the winning and I feel like I have underutilized my XBSX so far this generation. I have been thinking of playing through a beloved franchise from start to finish that can be completed on the XBSX. I have never completed an entire series and only one or two games from each one. I am leaning heavily toward GoW or Fable since we know they have a new game on the horizon. Maybe Fallout? Any suggestions for the MUST playthrough series?

Top Bottom