• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HS Basketball Coach suspened for winning a game 161-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/stor...asketball-coach-suspended-two-games-161-2-win

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- A Southern California high school basketball coach has been suspended and faces accusations of mercilessly running up the score after his team won a game 161-2, one of the most lopsided scores in state history.

Arroyo Valley High girls' coach Michael Anderson was suspended for two games after the victory last week against Bloomington High.

Anderson said that he wasn't trying to run up the score or embarrass the opposition. His team had won four previous games by at least 70 points, and Bloomington had already lost a game by 91.

"The game just got away from me," Anderson told the San Bernardino Sun on Friday. "I didn't play any starters in the second half. I didn't expect them to be that bad. I'm not trying to embarrass anybody."

He says if he had it to do again, he'd have played only reserves after the first quarter, or, "I wouldn't play the game at all."

But Bloomington coach Dale Chung says Arroyo Valley used a full-court press for the entire first half to lead 104-1 at halftime.

"People shouldn't feel sorry for my team," Chung said. "They should feel sorry for his team, which isn't learning the game the right way."

Anderson has served one game of the suspension, a game his team won 80-19 with his son Nick at the helm. He'll return after sitting out one more.

"He's a great X's and O's coach," Chung said. "Ethically? Not so much. He knows what he did was wrong."

Punishing someone for doing their job too good? Is this real life?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Punishing someone for doing their job too good? Is this real life?

It happens in the world of finance too. Heaven forbid you're successful - people will call it a monopoly and try to bring you down.

Trey

Eh. His team will blow out most opposition by a quadrillion whether he coaches or not. This would be interesting if it impacted playoff games.

ribbons for everyone!

winnerspop.jpg

genjiZERO

I know I'm in the minority, but I agree with the suspension. Children's sports should be focused on teamwork and positive sum competition at all times.

There are 32 min in a HS game.

It is simple to chill out your offense and defense to cut down the game to a complete blowout vs a sham of a farce of a joke of a disgrace.

Disgraced

Bloomington might be weirdly crazy good at sports or something, I don't know. I remember they used to wipe the floor with all the other teams when they were in my old high school's Majestic league, and then all their athletics got sent to a another tiered league. I think I ran XC against them though, and if memory serves correctly, I don't recall them being that exceptional in that field. Overall though, I distinctly remember my old high school's athletic department being intimidated by them before they were alternated, especially when it came to football and basketball.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Is it just me or is patronizing a team by playing your B-team and C-team more humiliating than a really lopsided score?

Allforce

I don't understand why the refs wouldn't have brought both coaches together at the half and asked if they needed this to continue. They're more liable in this than either coach. Just call the game off and let everyone go on their ways with a little respect.

masud

Banned
Running a full court press for half the game when youre clearly too good for your competition is pretty scummy. The other team probably couldn't get it past half court.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I know I'm in the minority, but I agree with the suspension. Children's sports should be focused on teamwork and positive sum competition at all times.

Coach pulled his starters and told his team not to shoot until late in the shot clock. Not sure what else he was supposed to do.

Abounder

Banned
But Bloomington coach Dale Chung says Arroyo Valley used a full-court press for the entire first half to lead 104-1 at halftime.

Relentless...lol

I suppose they could have used up the shotclock and launch long 2's but that's not as fun

I notice this happens in woman's basketball a lot. I really cannot see how you can win by that much if you are not pressing and are running down the shot clock each possesion.

The score at the end of the first half means the losing team didn't make a single shot outside of free throws. They lost a different game by 91 points. The winning coach pulled his starters. Sounds like the losing team and coach is a bigger problem.

I don't see how this is even possible. Bet I put up more than two points against an NBA player if we're playing for forty minutes and alternating possessions.

I used to man the scorer's table at HS/Little League games for Community Service for a while in High School. I remember we had a situation once where one team was totally destroying the other - final score was something like 105-22. We never stopped keeping score, but after the winning team got more than a 40 point lead the ref told me to stop changing the digital scoreboard - I think it was a good solution to hide the embarrassment a bit.

At the end of the game, the players from the winning team just stopped by my table to ask what the real score was/what their personal line was.

genjiZERO

Coach pulled his starters and told his team not to shoot until late in the shot clock. Not sure what else he was supposed to do.

He should have pulled them in the first second if it was reasonably clear how the game was going to go. If he had used some creative thinking he could have come up with something. 161 points in a 32 minute game is a lot of points (5 points a minute).

darscot

I know this is a different sport then hockey, if it was hockey I would expect him to be fired. Especially kids hockey, running the score like that is dangerous. I guess it's not big deal in basketball, but don't basketball games get dirty?

Disgraced

I don't understand why the refs wouldn't have brought both coaches together at the half and asked if they needed this to continue. They're more liable in this than either coach. Just call the game off and let everyone go on their ways with a little respect.
Totally. No idea why they weren't mercied. Really bizarre. Maybe there's more to the story. Are we sure the losing team's coach/players didn't, like, say no to being mercied? Because that's something that could happen.

Ceres

Banned
I don't see how this is even possible. Bet I put up more than two points against an NBA player if we're playing for forty minutes and alternating possessions.

That HS team probably plays more defense than the average NBA player these days.

Maximus.

I would look at the opportunity to get my team to practice against a real other team, to solidify plays and their shots in a real situation. Not his fault the other team fucking sucks. Coddling much?

i wonder at what point those 2 pts were scored. i would be ecstatic. lol

they had 1 point in the first half, so those were 2 free throws... 0 field goals.

The winning team should have taken nothing but half court shots in the 2nd half... or given the other team one of their players, you know, 6 on 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom