• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't understand how you're supposed to play Sonic games.

Sonic Adventure 2 requires special strategies which I don't think apply to other games in the series. These include:

- Ignoring the actual game and just do the versus Sonic/Shadow stuff
- Punching your friend in the face if they pick either Metal Sonic or Amy Rose
- Ignoring the actual game to focus on Chao Garden
- Use Eggman in Chao Garden and jump a lot so he says "yosh"
- Finding any excuse to quote the cutscenes. I find that "YOU'RE NOT EVEN GOOD ENOUGH TO BE MY FAKE" is the most widely applicable
- Trying to repress the memories of Knuckles/Rouge stages

But the great Emerald's power?????

OP, you are not alone!

Sounds like you've figured out what many of us have known for years... That Sonic games are terrible.

Those are all valid questions. Hopefully someone can answer them. Because I have no idea.

Ive always been meaning to ask this.

i'm glad someone asked as i also have no clue

Not gonna lie it's why I never really got into the 2d ones. I feel like the levels discourage you to go fast when that's sonics thing

I think you just have to practice levels over and over. Whenever I play sonic I just constantly run into things and it's pretty annoying and stressful

I also feel this way.
I never thought the old Sonic games were good, and Mania doesn't seem to fix much of anything.

Say what??!! Just get to the end of the level before time runs out, and try to complete the game.

Not sure how we stand in 2017 of mania but back in the glory days you had no save or free continues, so unless you got 100 rings for an extra life, got the bonus stages for a continue and didn't lose all your life's. You had to start again from level 1.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
i like to explore and collect as many rings power ups and bonus stages as possible typically. the speed was always a hindrence to me unless i needed it to cross a large gap or get to an unaccessible area.

it's all about extra lives to me. the more lives the easier time i'll have to beat it.

If you didn't die and you beat the level you playing it correctly....
I can totally understand this point of view. It’s just that whenever I’m completing a level all the while seeing parts of it that I can’t get to or can’t complete properly, I’m not having fun. And I can’t speak for the OP, but personally when I play the game and am not having fun, I look around and see other people who fervently love these games, and I think maybe I’m missing something.

There are a lot of games that I can play and appreciate while knowing that it’s not a game for me. I don’t like character action games, but I can recognize when a character action game like Bayonetta is good and why people like it. With Sonic I have always felt more like I don’t understand the parts of it that people enjoy. And I’m searching for an answer there.

If you take the time to play the games, you'll notice more often than not there are clear sections where you're 'meant' to just run and other defined sections where that's just not possible. So I'm not really sure I understand the confusion over whether you should just be going fast all the time or not.

Puruzi

Banned
I've heard this before, so I don't think it is. I mean, if you're used to

Blue streak speeds by
Sonic the Hedgehog!
Too fast for the naked eye
Sonic the Hedgehog!

Sonic
He can really move
Sonic
He's got an attitude
Sonic
He's the fastest thing alive!​

then it might surprise you that you get stopped so often in the actual game.
Ok but then do those people want it to be a game where it plays itself? Like i'm not sure, if there were no obstacles then you could go fast forever but then you aren't exactly doing anything. If you want to go fast at all times it takes practice.

Sonic fans in this thread need to understand the questions are not literally “how do I play this game?”

It’s more like “How does this game want to be played?”

Yes, you can plod methodically through each level, but many people find that doesn’t feel good, and then you can’t take advantage of obvious paths it seems the game wants you to take.

And yes, you can zoom through levels and take advantage of all loops, boosters, jumps, springs, etc. if you are familiar with how the level works. But it takes time to get comfortable enough to do that.

It’s not that I don’t get the buttons or controls or physics of the games. It’s that they give me a general sense of unease to where no matter how I approach a level, things don’t feel quite right. And so it’s logical to come up with the question “Am I doing something wrong?”
But you play the game however you feel like, there is no wrong way. But since you said that the general way the game plays gives you a sense of unease, maybe you just don't like it. That's fine.

i like to explore and collect as many rings power ups and bonus stages as possible typically. the speed was always a hindrence to me unless i needed it to cross a large gap or get to an unaccessible area.

it's all about extra lives to me. the more lives the easier time i'll have to beat it.

Becoming skilled enough to do this, but fast, is pretty much how I always interpreted the game, even as a 5 year old.

MTC100

Banned
The ring design is flawed, simply because you lose ALL once you get hit just one time. It doesn't really matter if you collect a lot or none at all but I guess it's the arcade style Sega had ever since.

I never really cared about collectin rings but I guess there are some hardcore players that don't lose any and collect them like madmen and for those, they make sense.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
I can totally understand this point of view. It’s just that whenever I’m completing a level all the while seeing parts of it that I can’t get to or can’t complete properly, I’m not having fun. And I can’t speak for the OP, but personally when I play the game and am not having fun, I look around and see other people who fervently love these games, and I think maybe I’m missing something.

There are a lot of games that I can play and appreciate while knowing that it’s not a game for me. I don’t like character action games, but I can recognize when a character action game like Bayonetta is good and why people like it. With Sonic I have always felt more like I don’t understand the parts of it that people enjoy. And I’m searching for an answer there.

i mean... it's a platformer. how hard is it to understand? get from point A to B before gameover.

collect rings/power ups for health and bonus levels that will help you achieve your goal

Neiteio

I think people asking how to play aren't asking "how do I beat the level," but more like what's the optimal way to play.

And it's a valid discussion to have in good faith, which I think most people here are trying to do.

Like I said earlier, I'm only beginning to figure out the optimal flow for 2D Sonic after years of trying.

What makes it confusing for some of us, at first, is the game competes for your attention in many ways. One path tempts you in this direction, another path tempts you in a different direction, and at the same time the level itself often ends up bouncing you in yet another direction.

What I'm learning is that you should just "go with the flow" and explore wherever the stage takes you. You won't see everything in one run; in fact, you'll see just a fraction at most, but that's because it's impossible to see everything in a level in one run, and no route is the "right" route.

Sonic is very much a "pinball platformer" where at times you just want to relinquish control to the forces that be and see where you end up. Just go where your instincts take you, and have fun. The benefit to this approach is replaying levels will keep things fresh. Chances are you'll discover new routes, and you'll be more efficient at the routes you already took.

The ring design is flawed, simply because you lose ALL once you get hit just one time. It doesn't really matter if you collect a lot or none at all but I guess it's the arcade style Sega had ever since.

I never really cared about collectin rings but I guess there are some hardcore players that don't lose any and collect them like madmen and for those, they make sense.

It matters for your score at the end. As someone else noted, Sonic was always pretty much an arcade game at heart. The only real point in killing enemies is they up your score too.

Finalizer

Sure is some pent up shitposting in here, at least the first page. What, all the positivity gettin' under y'all's skins? Guess this thread was the out for the building resentment, heh.

2D Sonic doesn't need a guide, you play it how you want. Go fast, explore, do bonus or special stages or don't, you're free to approach it however you want.

L Thammy

Ok but then do those people want it to be a game where it plays itself? Like i'm not sure, if there were no obstacles then you could go fast forever but then you aren't exactly doing anything. If you want to go fast at all times it takes practice.

Do you not see the difference between, say, Sonic 2 and Colours in this territory? There's different ways in which "video game where the protagonist goes fast" can be implemented, and it's entirely possible that people who haven't played the 2D Sonic games much aren't expecting the implementation there.

Not sure how we stand in 2017 of mania but back in the glory days you had no save or free continues, so unless you got 100 rings for an extra life, got the bonus stages for a continue and didn't lose all your life's. You had to start again from level 1.
Not exactly a feature unique to Sonic back in those days, unlike the topic this is based around.

Losing your speed when you're new to 2D Sonic is a punishment but it feels like you're not playing the game correctly (in that there is something you're missing or not understanding) as the entirety of Sonic's persona is based around constant speed. If you're not zooming around then you don't feel like Sonic as he's always been shown to you.

Showing something constantly that revolves just around speed and then having a game that, to begin with, halts that often is jarring to some. It's not that the game is shit, it's that you need to play for awhile to get into its rhythm as opposed to the one you go in expecting.

Puruzi

Banned
Do you not see the difference between, say, Sonic 2 and Colours in this territory?
Not sure what you mean. I like Sonic 2 and Colors, Colors is in fact the only modern Sonic game I like because it doesn't play itself. It has tons of good platforming, moments where you should take it slow, and it's not boost to win like Unleashed or Generations.

GunBR

I agree with the OT and I think some people didn't understand the point

Sega made big levels with a lot of braching paths and places to explore...but also made a character who is always running and has that "gotta go fast" feeling, so most players will just run away from the start of the level to the finish and never explore anything

Neiteio

I've come to think of the speed sequences in Sonic as more of an exciting payoff between exploratory platforming sections. You hop and bop through areas until you reach a spring or spinner or tube or loop that launches you at high speeds around the level. Those bits can be interactive, too, but in function they're more like flashy spectacle that feels cool, which is fine and addictive in its own right.

The ๖ۜBronx;246203572 said:
Not exactly a feature unique to Sonic back in those days, unlike the topic this is based around.

Losing your speed when you're new to 2D Sonic is a punishment but it feels like you're not playing the game correctly (in that there is something you're missing or not understanding) as the entirety of Sonic's persona is based around constant speed. If you're not zooming around then you don't feel like Sonic as he's always been shown to you.

Showing something constantly that revolves just around speed and then having a game that, to begin with, halts that often is jarring to some. It's not that the game is shit, it's that you need to play for awhile to get into its rhythm as opposed to the one you go in expecting.

Guess I see what you mean in regards to promos trailers etc, which I agree does point to speed

I'm thinking back to 1,2,3 master system 1,2 and sonic adventure - where I was never guided by speed, I always viewed it as a platformer with short bursts of speed. But my main focus was always to get from point A to point B without dying and not focusing on speed.

The only times I would use speed was when I became comfortable with the level and knew where the breaks were to stop and platform around them.

Ferrio

Banned

Sega made big levels with a lot of braching paths and places to explore...but also made a character who is always running and has that "gotta go fast" feeling, so most players will just run away from the start of the level to the finish and never explore anything

Which is still a perfectly valid way to play the game.

The only times I would use speed was when I became comfortable with the level and knew where the breaks were to stop and platform around them.
Indeed. Maintaining speed and momentum in Sonic is a reward for having mastered the level. Some people just expect to be to do it off the bat because before playing that's all that's been shown to them.

I like Sonic games a lot for it honestly. First plays of levels are platformer and knowledge building. Then as you get better they become designed speed runs.

Neiteio

The game seems to send conflicting signals, at first, but what I've come to realize is it's just giving you a lot of equally valid options. You could choose a different approach each time you play and you'll have an all-new experience. And even the paths you've already taken, you'll get faster and more efficient at them on replaying them. In this way, Sonic rewards you for replaying its stages, keeping things fresh.

I came into Sonic Mania with the same sort of mindset as the OP. Mind you I played the shit out of 2D Sonic games as a kid but it's been many years.

I'm sort of bumbling my way through, learning the levels as I go.

I'm treating it kind of like a Mario game, one that just has a shitload of alternate paths and bonus levels in each stage. That mindset is working great for me and I'm having a lot of fun with the game.

Eumi

It's so you can replay the level differently.

My first time through I just play to get through the levels.

Later I like to go back and explore.

Over time I figure out the paths I enjoy the most, that pick up all the secrets, and I get in the habit of doing that.

I think people playing now days get in mindset that they have to experience all of the level in one sitting., but the games were totally made to be enjoyed many times. The giant levels are made so that each play through is slightly different.

Neiteio

I came into Sonic Mania with the same sort of mindset as the OP. Mind you I played the shit out of 2D Sonic games as a kid but it's been many years.

I'm sort of bumbling my way through, learning the levels as I go.

I'm treating it kind of like a Mario game, one that just has a shitload of alternate paths and bonus levels in each stage. That mindset is working great for me and I'm having a lot of fun with the game.
That's a good way to approach it, and how I'm trying to approach it as well. Like 2D Mario but with tons of paths in all directions, and I can only do a small portion of them at a time, and at first I'll be bumbling through much of them and the focus is just on platforming my way to the end — whatever route that ends up being.

Then I can come back later and try the same thing more efficiently, achieving Sonic's trademark speed. Or maybe try other paths altogether.

Pizza

With all the hype and positive words said about Sonic Mania, I'm seriously considering picking it up. However, I have no idea how to play a Sonic game.

They've always been confusing to me. Are you trying to acquire and hang onto as many rings as possible, or do they not really matter outside of lives?

The rings work as your health: 100 gives you a bonus life, 50(?) unlock the special stage (more on that in a sec) and just 1 can keep you alive. If you run out of rings and get hit, you lose a life

Are you trying to complete levels as fast as possible or are you supposed to regularly stop and explore? The focus on speed in the game is a little confusing to me, as it seems like you'll be quickly ushered through gigantic parts of the game in the name of speed. Are you expected to kind of backtrack and explore the area that you just zoomed through?

The games are made to be replayable as hell: I'd recommend taking it easy and looking around. You've got ten minutes for each zone, so don't stress out too much. The speed aspect comes in when you're familiar with the levels and can just walk in and blast through them. Some parts blast you through fast, other times you gotta slow down a bit for some platforming.

Should you be seeking out every TV to smash? What rewards do these garner? What about enemies? Should you be trying to kill them all or is it okay to just run past them?

Nah, TVs are rings, power ups, and lives. Knowing where they are is handy, and they usually are pretty helpful. They're sonic's ? Blocks

What do you need to do to acquire the giant ring (no idea if that's what it's called)? What makes it invisible/unattainable and what unlocks the ability to acquire it? What's the benefit of acquiring the giant ring?

I have other questions, but I guess I'll just leave it at that for now.

Um, it's probably a thing that you need X number of rings to jump through it: I still gotta wait longer for Mania because I'm a pc shithead.

The big rings, Special Rings, lead to a special bonus stage.

Here you have to do a thing and get a chaos emerald. Every sonic game has a bonus boss and true ending that you can only get if you grab all seven chaos emeralds. If you're looking for an underlying task to Sonic outside of "play the platformer" thats your goal.

Good luck!

dcx4610

I think the goal is to go as fast as possible without losing speed. You don't have to play it that way but that's the intention. Go fast, don't lose speed and grab as manu rings as possible.

Mihos

Gold Member
Your just supposed to beat the game. If farting around more in the lower levels helps you beat the later levels, than do that. If not, then don't do that.

When you can beat the game without losing a single life, you win.

Neiteio

Rather than thinking of Sonic as a character who's always in motion, it's probably more helpful (and accurate) to think of Sonic as a character whose superpower is the ability to go fast when needed.

So in the context of the game, that means moving around normally, exploring things at your own pace, taking your time... but when you encounter a steep hill, you can use Sonic's speed to zip up the incline and reach the top. Or if you find a loop de loop, you can use Sonic's speed to travel through it. Or if you see a lot of enemies in a straight line, you can plow through them at top speed.

Speed is something you use when needed. Otherwise you're just leisurely exploring and platforming.

But when you come back later and feel more confident, speed is also something you can use quite often.

I played a fair bit of Sonic 1 & 2 on Genesis as a kid and I don’t think I have ever seen the giant rings or UFO levels mentioned in this thread.
If you carry 50 or more rings to the end of the level 1 in Sonic 1, a giant ring is waiting. You jump into it and go to a special stage to get a Chaos Emerald.

In Sonic 2, you carry 50 or more rings and hit a check point, you can jump into a star loop that appears and play a sort of 3D mini game to get a Chaos Emerald.

You can't honestly say you played that much Sonic 1 but never saw a giant ring unless you and everyone else you watched playing were just really poor at the game.

This is a weird ass topic to me. Some of you are just bizarre. Is this what gaming culture has become? You have to be told how to play a 2d side scroller? Maybe it's because I grew up with the Genesis games, but I've never seen anything quite like this. Like every single 2d level based game you go from left to right and get to the end. What you do in the middle is up to you. I feel like this is from years of people shouting memes of gotta go fast and Sonic sucks.

This topic makes me cry.

Just in case the TC legitimately needs help understanding,

Are you trying to acquire and hang onto as many rings as possible, or do they not really matter outside of lives?

If you're really good at not dying you won't need to collect them. They offer extra lives every 100 you collect, so that's a great buffer to get through the harder stages. Other wise grab them to keep yourself from dying in one hit.

Are you trying to complete levels as fast as possible or are you supposed to regularly stop and explore? The focus on speed in the game is a little confusing to me, as it seems like you'll be quickly ushered through gigantic parts of the game in the name of speed. Are you expected to kind of backtrack and explore the area that you just zoomed through?

If you're just trying to beat the game you can go quickly through the stage or just go at your own pace. The exit is always to the right. If you're trying to get the secret endings you'll need to explore and find the giant rings that take you to bonus levels. If you want to play the time attack mode, there are optimal paths you can get to the end in a hurry.

Should you be seeking out every TV to smash? What rewards do these garner? What about enemies? Should you be trying to kill them all or is it okay to just run past them?

Kill enemies if they're in your way. Break TVs to get power ups that help you beat the level. Don't break TVs with robotnik on them. Hes a bad guy and those TVs will hurt you.

What do you need to do to acquire the giant ring (no idea if that's what it's called)? What makes it invisible/unattainable and what unlocks the ability to acquire it? What's the benefit of acquiring the giant ring?

Find them hidden in each stage, beat the mini game inside. If you do all of them you'll get the best ending to the game, and get access to what's called super Sonic.

Also, I find it ironic your name is digital relic.

L Thammy

This is a weird ass topic to me. Some of you are just bizarre. Is this what gaming culture has become? You have to be told how to play a 2d side scroller? Maybe it's because I grew up with the Genesis games, but I've never seen anything quite like this. Like every single 2d level based game you go from left to right and get to the end. What you do in the middle is up to you. I feel like this is from years of people shouting memes of gotta go fast and Sonic sucks.

This topic makes me cry.

look on my works ye mighty and despair

TheYanger

Many people obviously disagree, but yeah, I think the classic Sonic formula is just not very intuitive. It feels kind of wrong to go slow, because of the way Sonic accelerates. The only Sonic game I've enjoyed is the very first one, because I feel like it doesn't push you that hard to go fast. It felt more like a traditional platformer.

None of them back then really pushed you to go fast, going fast was always either a reward for staying on a harder path (which involves platforming skill, and failing a split second jump will send you to a screeching halt), or just a brief segment that you might as well consider a cutscene (like lots of accelerator things bumping you through loops for a second).

That's it. The rest is just regular ass platforming like every other game of the era.

The idea that somehow sonic is all about speed is why we have the shitty modern sonics, when if you go back and play the old ones you have shit like Marble Garden and Aquatic Ruin in the first two games that are INCREDIBLY slow paced platforming levels.

The ring system is basically the only reason Sonic works and can go so fast.

You only ever need to carry 1 ring. Because of this, there's a margin of error when rolling around really fast.

It does matter a bit if you collect a lot of rings. If you get hit with a ton of rings, a ton fly out and you can easily grab a few to keep up your health. With just one ring, if you get hit, and it goes flying away, you have to rush to grab it or lose your one hit insurance.

Sonic with a tradition HP system wouldn't really allow him to run around at high speeds and not really care if he hits something on accident.

If you carry 50 or more rings to the end of the level 1 in Sonic 1, a giant ring is waiting. You jump into it and go to a special stage to get a Chaos Emerald.

In Sonic 2, you carry 50 or more rings and hit a check point, you can jump into a star loop that appears and play a sort of 3D mini game to get a Chaos Emerald.

You can't honestly say you played that much Sonic 1 but never saw a giant ring unless you and everyone else you watched playing were just really poor at the game.
To be honest I’m pretty bad at most games, and it’s been many years since I went back and played those original games. From what I remember I was usually getting to the end of each level by the skin of my teeth.

Just...try and have fun while playing! Getting concerned with "right" and "wrong" ways to play Sonic stuff sounds like a surefire way to sap the fun and experimentation of finding your own play style of Sonic stuff to me.

Was playing some of Sonic and Knuckles yesterday as Sonic, and my general observation of my play style I guess is that I switch it up between exploring levels and going fast...I guess some parts of the levels are better suited to each from my experience. That's me though...you can discover perhaps a different play style. Enjoy!

Top Bottom