• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Awesome. Got a link to your build/specs?
I had a link but i forgot where i put it but what im going with is:
Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400(Red and Black)
PSU: Corsair 650w gold
Mobo: Asrock x370 killer SLI with dual band wifi
CPU: Ryzen 1700+ Wrathspire cooler
GPU:MSI GTX1080ti
RAM: g.skill flare 16gb
4tb HDD
Undecided on SSD size but probably about 128-250gb for now and ill upgrade it later on.

Then im also going with the BenQ 4k monitor.

So excluding the monitor im about half way there.
Pretty excited.

A couple of quickies.

Do motherboards typically have bluetooth or will I need an adapter (primarily asking since I think I'm going to buy an Xbox One controller)?

Can I use my existing Windows 10 key on a new machine, if it was a free upgrade from 7/8?

I've been thinking of adding some extra fans to my case, wondering what the optimal setup would be. So far using a mishmash of an old 120mm and two new fractal 120mms

Current fans/directions are green said:
Xd7xnmL.jpg

Would it be worthwhile replacing the current intakes (120mm) with some 140mm intakes from Noctua or another quiet fan & moving the old intakes to the top of the case as exhausts? (also wondering if its alright to run fractal x2 gp-12 fans as top exhausts, unsure if the LLS bearing is ok with being sideways)

Was also wondering what to do about the top fan slots, was thinking making them both exhaust but I'm worried the upper-right slot will compete for air with the CPU cooler.

A couple of quickies.

Do motherboards typically have bluetooth or will I need an adapter (primarily asking since I think I'm going to buy an Xbox One controller)?

Can I use my existing Windows 10 key on a new machine, if it was a free upgrade from 7/8?

I want to say BT isn't common on lower-end boards, typically it'll be marketed that the mobo has BT. If you're looking at a specific one you can post it here, but USB BT adapters are pretty cheap these days.

If the current W10 key is associated with a MS account yes, as long as you're not using the old machine & new machine simultaneously (afaik)

Holy shit Comcast is doing me far too dirty this week, we should be getting 25-50 (can't remember) but recently regularly getting as low as 10, its currently sitting at 1 Mbps :\

Its a miracle I can even view this GB PUBG video o_O

SCB3

Need a cheap upgrade to my 3 year old build, what should I be looking at (goal is 1080p 60fps, Ultra on most games)

So my specs are as follows
  • AMD FX-6300
  • Asus GTX 950 2gb
  • 12GB RAM DDR3

I will be building a new VR 4k PC in the next year or two, but I can get a 980ti from a friend for about £300 ($370) or a gtx 970 locally from a store here, wondering if it was worth doing so (more concerned about the bottleneck on the CPU)

Need a cheap upgrade to my 3 year old build, what should I be looking at (goal is 1080p 60fps, Ultra on most games)

So my specs are as follows
  • AMD FX-6300
  • Asus GTX 950 2gb
  • 12GB RAM DDR3

I will be building a new VR 4k PC in the next year or two, but I can get a 980ti from a friend for about £300 ($370) or a gtx 970 locally from a store here, wondering if it was worth doing so (more concerned about the bottleneck on the CPU)

The 980 Ti would be more capable and last longer, certainly exceeding the high priced GTX 1060's you'd find for similar. It's also a good bit below the asking price you'd get from somewhere like CEX (which I imagine is the local store in question). That said the 970 is more immediately appropriate for your targeted performance, and so would save you money (especially if bought via ebay) for a potential 4K build down the line.

Personally, I'd take the savings from buying the less expensive GPU and put that into replacing the CPU and RAM. The minimum you'd be looking at is the Ryzen 3 series, which have been found to trade blows with the old, higher end FX 8000 series CPUs. If you don't go for the i7-7700k for sheer gameplay performance, I'd probably recommend the Ryzen 1600, since it'll offer more cores versus current Intel competition while the performance isn't so bad that'll hamper you at a goal of 60 FPS.

SCB3

The 980 Ti would be more capable and last longer, certainly exceeding the high priced GTX 1060's you'd find for similar. It's also a good bit below the asking price you'd get from somewhere like CEX (which I imagine is the local store in question). That said the 970 is more immediately appropriate for your targeted performance, and so would save you money (especially if bought via ebay) for a potential 4K build down the line.

Personally, I'd take the savings from buying the less expensive GPU and put that into replacing the CPU and RAM. The minimum you'd be looking at is the Ryzen 3 series, which have been found to trade blows with the old, higher end FX 8000 series CPUs. If you don't go for the i7-7700k for sheer gameplay performance, I'd probably recommend the Ryzen 1600, since it'll offer more cores versus current Intel competition while the performance isn't so bad that'll hamper you at a goal of 60 FPS.

Yea was thinking that originally, only issue I have is if I go ryzen now, I'd have to upgrade my motherboard and ram as well, which at that point, I may as well just go for a full upgrade

Yea was thinking that originally, only issue I have is if I go ryzen now, I'd have to upgrade my motherboard and ram as well, which at that point, I may as well just go for a full upgrade

True. Though in that case, you could just hold off on the MOBO/CPU/RAM side of things. The FX 6300 is gonna be a bottleneck for even the 970 - I say this, having owned the FX 6350 - and unfortunately it would likely impact the 980 Ti similarly.

Earendil

How do the new Ryzen chips fair in PCs built for software development? I'm thinking of switching jobs, but it would require me to have my own equipment. I was leaning toward an i7, but if the AMD chips hold up well I might go that route. It would be mostly front end web development, with Photoshop and uxpin or some kind of wireframe tool. Any gaming I do wouldn't go much past StarCraft or Minecraft.

Thanks

I want to say BT isn't common on lower-end boards, typically it'll be marketed that the mobo has BT. If you're looking at a specific one you can post it here, but USB BT adapters are pretty cheap these days.

If the current W10 key is associated with a MS account yes, as long as you're not using the old machine & new machine simultaneously (afaik)
I haven't decided on a board yet, but I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for the info on Windows, nice to save that cost.

Mrbob

Thanks for the info and taking the time to type that out. Easy to follow too. I guess 4K monitors come at a mad premium too, especially if you want some of the cool features or higher refresh rates. So maybe I'm better targeting 1440/60. Whilst I do enjoy the high resolution, I'd rather pure graphical settings and that high frame rate.
The built in Nvidia scaler is good. I play games from 1440p to 3200 x 1800 to 1080p depending on how demanding said game is to hit 60fps from a 1070 on my LG OLED, then have the GPU scale to 4k. The upscaling looks a little softer but you are typically sitting 6 to 10 feet back so the scaling works well. You don't even notice the resolution is being scaled up after a minute in game.

Oh and the 8700k is out in October, 6 core CPU with the performance of the 7700k with those extra two cores. Wait for that.

Renekton

Oh and the 8700k is out in October, 6 core CPU with the performance of the 7700k with those extra two cores. Wait for that.
Just be wary of Intel release dates recently. They could just announce on October but decent availability only in Nov/Dec.

aett

So I built my PC using one of the suggested builds from one of these threads back in 2011 and it worked great. Since then, I've only upgraded the HD to a SSD and did one graphics card upgrade about four years ago.

I finally just got a new(er) graphics card and I finally want to overclock my i5 2500k CPU for the first time. The problem is that all the guides I've seen are based on different motherboards and I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do. (I did google overclock guides for my specific motherboard... but I got people like me asking for the same kind of help without satisfactory responses.)

The motherboard is a BIOSTAR TZ68A+. If anyone has had any experience overclocking with this, or knows of a useful guide for this particular board, I'd appreciate the help. Thank you!

kuYuri

How do the new Ryzen chips fair in PCs built for software development? I'm thinking of switching jobs, but it would require me to have my own equipment. I was leaning toward an i7, but if the AMD chips hold up well I might go that route. It would be mostly front end web development, with Photoshop and uxpin or some kind of wireframe tool. Any gaming I do wouldn't go much past StarCraft or Minecraft.

Thanks

Ryzen is quite good for that and significantly cheaper compared to Intel. Highly recommended around here for most non-gaming related work, but can still provide the performance for gaming.

cheezcake

Thanks

You won't have any issues with i5/ryzen 5+ for sure

Ryzen is much better for multi-threaded workloads, Intel is slightly better for single threaded. I personally think Ryzen is a better buy but for your use case you wont go wrong with either.

MikeBison

The built in Nvidia scaler is good. I play games from 1440p to 3200 x 1800 to 1080p depending on how demanding said game is to hit 60fps from a 1070 on my LG OLED, then have the GPU scale to 4k. The upscaling looks a little softer but you are typically sitting 6 to 10 feet back so the scaling works well. You don't even notice the resolution is being scaled up after a minute in game.

Thanks for the info!

Although I'm guessing that 8700k is going to be a tasty price. Been looking at the 1600, which is super affordable. Without a monitor, the build I've spec'd is already looking at ~£1,500ish. That's probably the absolute most I want to be spending.

MikeBison

Boys and girls, thanks for the help! Just ordered everything and will patiently await shipment! First gaming PC! Spec as follows:

Ryzen 1600
EVGA GTX1080
Corsair RGB LED 16GB 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz
MSI AMD B350 TOMAHAWK Motherboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5inch SSD
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 3.5" Hard Drive
Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Full Tower ATX Case
Corsair CSM 550W Semi Modular 80+ Gold Power Supply
AOC AG241QX/24 144hz/1440p monitor

Then a Corsair mouse and keyboard.

Boys and girls, thanks for the help! Just ordered everything and will patiently await shipment! First gaming PC! Spec as follows:

Ryzen 1600
EVGA GTX1080

Nice, you're in for a treat.

Ryzen 1600
EVGA GTX1080

Glad to have helped, hope you love the experience.

cheezcake

Ryzen 1600
EVGA GTX1080

Damn good first rig, I'm jealous of that 1440p 144hz monitor right now

I'm about to pull the trigger on an i7 to replace my i5 6600K. Even at 4.2 Ghz, I'm noticing more and more CPU bottlenecking and low utilization of my GTX 1070 in newer games. Battlefield 1 in particular is absolutely slaughtering my CPU.

May just shoot for the stars and see how high I can OC my 6600K as a last ditch thing before I swap it.

MikeBison

Damn good first rig, I'm jealous of that 1440p 144hz monitor right now

Should be nicely future proofed, I feel. And enough of a jump up from my current gaming on the pro that it'll feel justified ha.

The monitor is a bit of a risk I guess. Those AOC monitors seem a load cheaper than the alternatives. But for 144/1440p it seemed I'd have to go to the Dell. But it does have G-sync for like £4-500. Bit outside of my range after everything else though.

But the reviews of the AOC seem decent! Willing to give it a try, especially at that price, with the features it has.

Jabronium

With the news that EVGA's DG-7 series of cases are targeted for November, I gave up waiting and ordered an S340 elite yesterday. Planning on doing the build this coming weekend. Can't wait.

Picked up an Alienware R3 i7/GTX1060 is it worth grabbing the graphics card caddy and putting a 1080 in there? Only really going to play Destiny 2 on it. Onyl has a 1080p screen too.

No, a 1060 is more than good enough for Destiny 2 at 1080p.

Great thanks, will stick with what I have then.

Grabbed the Alienware laptop for £820 from eBay, only 4 months old with 3 year on site warranty, i7 6700 with a 1060 6GB card and 8GB RAM (will likely upgrade this) 256SSD and 1TB HDD, was looking at around £1650-1700 for that new.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger today.

Here's what I'm looking at right now:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qzNKjc

CPU seems excessive, but it's priced to move today; comparable Ryzen 5 is ~$70 less if anybody feels like it's not worth the extra cash.

I'm taking a gamble that the GeForce 1050 is going to service my 1080p needs, which very rarely include any "AAA" games; that's an easy enough sell/replace if I'm wrong.

All I'm lacking now is a case (and the resolve to click "Buy Now").

Dr.Acula

Banned

CPU seems excessive, but it's priced to move today; comparable Ryzen 5 is ~$70 less if anybody feels like it's not worth the extra cash.

Also $60 dollars less for a Ryzen that comes with its own cooler, so that's $130 that can be plowed back into a better vid card which will be more noticable than the CPU (unless you're doing some CPU intensive work).

Also $60 dollars less for a Ryzen that comes with its own cooler, so that's $130 that can be plowed back into a better vid card which will be more noticable than the CPU (unless you're doing some CPU intensive work).
Hmm, okay. I doubt that I'll be doing anything CPU intensive, but I'm also pretty sure I don't need anything above the 1050. So that would just be $130 back in the pocket.

Okay, unless anybody has a reason why not, I think I'll move from the 1700X to the 1500X; I can also remove the CPU fan, so that'll give me back $180.

Also, any reason to shy away from the bronze level power adapter if I'm not juicing a video card? Bronze 550w is $40 less that gold. $20 less after rebate, so I'll go GOLD.

MikeBison

I'm taking a gamble that the GeForce 1050 is going to service my 1080p needs, which very rarely include any "AAA" games; that's an easy enough sell/replace if I'm wrong.

All I'm lacking now is a case (and the resolve to click "Buy Now").

From my research over the last couple of days, there seems to be an argument to go for the 00 rather than 00x rumen cards. Extra performance per £ etc. One of the big ones being having to spend on a cooler on top.

After clocking they come really close in terms of performance.

At least for the 1600 v 1600x. Didn't look too much into 17s.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Also, any reason to shy away from the bronze level power adapter if I'm not juicing a video card? Bronze 550w is $40 less that gold.

Brand matters more than rating, if you end up with a bad gold, it's more problematic than a good bronze. What are you looking at replacing the EVGA in your cart with?

From my research over the last couple of days, there seems to be an argument to go for the 00 rather than 00x rumen cards. Extra performance per £ etc. One of the big ones being having to spend on a cooler on top.

After clocking they come really close in terms of performance.

At least for the 1600 v 1600x. Didn't look too much into 17s.
Good to know, currently okay with the 1500X based on a combo deal on Newegg with the motherboard and memory I wanted; I'm not too attached to them though so 1500X > 1600 is worth it, eh?

Brand matters more than rating, if you end up with a bad gold, it's more problematic than a good bronze. What are you looking at replacing the EVGA in your cart with?
They were both EVGA, but the Gold has a $20 rebate so I'll do that.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Good to know, currently okay with the 1500X based on a combo deal on Newegg with the motherboard and memory I wanted; I'm not too attached to them though so 1500X > 1600 is worth it, eh?

The main diff between those CPUs is that the 1600 has 6-cores while the 1500x has 4, slightly faster, cores. Applications that take advantage of multi-threading do better on a 1600.

MikeBison

Now that, I don't know. More cores at a glance. But there will be a tonne of comparisons out there, which is what led me to go for 1600 v 1700. And then 1600 over 1600x.

The 1600 is a pretty great price (compared to the Intel's) and comes with a cooler. So it felt like the 'sweet spot' of price/performance.

Top Bottom