• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think my apartment may be haunted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the quick dismissal comes from the fact that this is a pretty common unjustified believe or meme. there's basically nothing new to say about it. These unjustified beliefs have actual consequences in the world.

Let's say you wake up one day with a rash. if someone said what if the rash comes from little tiny Pixies that poke you with tiny crab claws at night. is that a possibility that should be dismissed quickly? Or would you also come to its defense, asking why are people being so close minded?

the double standard for ghosts compared to crab claw holding tiny Pixies is that it is a somewhat common meme like I said above.

I would even argue that Pixies holding tiny crab claws are less absurd than the concept of ghosts based on what we understand about the universe

Because the topic of the afterlife is something humans have been discussing and debating for thousands of years. Rash pixies have not (as far as I'm aware). It is a topic for religions and faiths all over the world, and for people who want to look into the possibility of an afterlife.

I am personally interested in hearing arguments for and against and discussions about these things in general. If a question is pulled out of someone's arse, such as rash pixies, then I'd give it little thought. However this is something different, in my view.

Having said all that, I'm strangely drawn to the possibility of rash pixies now...

boiled goose

good with gravy
Because the topic of the afterlife is something humans have been discussing and debating for thousands of years. Rash pixies have not (as far as I'm aware). It is a topic for religions and faiths all over the world, and for people who want to look into the possibility of an afterlife.

I am personally interested in hearing arguments for and against and discussions about these things in general. If a question is pulled out of someone's arse, such as rash pixies, then I'd give it little thought. However this is something different, in my view.

Having said all that, I'm strangely drawn to the possibility of rash pixies now...

You say you are interested but have not yet realized there are basically no arguments for?
It is basically the same as the made up Pixies.

humans have debated many things and with time we understand more about how the world works

these concepts of ghosts and demons and souls originate from periods where we didn't that understand germs exist and cause disease and had no idea how living things work or what the brain is.

again another logical fallacy. argument from popularity. how popular something is irrelevant to whether it is valid. it needs to stand on its own merits.

We are veering slightly off topic tho !

Are you one of those people who likes mysteries and to contemplate possibilities of mysterious stuff but doesn't actually feel like going the extra step and applying a healthy dose of logic and skepticism?

I like mysteries. I am also sceptical. I'm not talking about my fundamental beliefs here - for example I don't believe in God. However that doesn't mean I dislike hearing from people who do.

Mistake

My explanation is that a homeless person went into your house and jacked off at your computer desk using fishy sites or installed a keylogger. Did you check your history? As for the ketchup, I've heard they make tomato soup using ketchup packets from mcdonalds, so he he may have been a little messy. Either that, or it's your landlord

You say you are interested but have not yet realized there are basically no arguments for?
It is basically the same as the made up Pixies.

humans have debated many things and with time we understand more about how the world works

these concepts of ghosts and demons and souls originate from periods where we didn't that understand germs exist and cause disease and had no idea how living things work or what the brain is.

again another logical fallacy. argument from popularity. how popular something is irrelevant to whether it is valid. it needs to stand on its own merits.

We are veering slightly off topic tho !

Some would claim there is an argument for. You just don't believe it. Fine. My point is the discussion is an interesting one and I don't understand the hostility towards asking a question such as 'do ghosts exist?'. It's a matter for the individual.

Edit: sorry about thread derail. I'll stop!

Mistake

Are people seriously debating the existence of ghosts in this thread? Because of some tomato sauce on a wall?

GAF
I've spoken to a few people about this. There's no such thing as ghosts, just invisible people with tech going in your house to fuck with you

?oe?oe

I've spoken to a few people about this. There's no such thing as ghosts, just invisible people with tech going in your house to fuck with you
When the internet is down, the government will come in invisible cloaks to spy on your activities.

Who

Banned
You are the closed-minded one here. Just because you believe in something doesn't mean you're open-minded. There's 7 billion people out there, billions of them able to record any paranormal activity, yet there is no absolute evidence. Nothing. You are the one ignoring that, you close off your mind and decide to focus purely on anecdotes with no proof what so ever. So don't tell me I'm the closed-minded one when you have your head in the sand.

I get that there is no solid evidence that can prove the existence of an afterlife, God, ghosts etc. but based of my own experiences and the experiences of others, I am open to the idea. I'm not trying to convince a grand juror, I'm just voicing my opinion. Yes there is no solid evidence but there is also no strong effort to find evidence. It's an off-limits and largely taboo subject in the scientific community. Any scientist that would hope to find funding for such research would be ridiculed and mocked, and probably rightfully so, because if such a thing existed, it would be impossible to even know where to start in trying to prove it. People like me, close-minded loons, are able to consider that such a thing might exist and that modern science just may not be advanced enough to be able to properly explain it. It's completely understandable that you may find this kind of stuff not worth discussing, that's fine, but there are lots of intelligent people that do.

I don't think it's fair to say that discussing this kind of stuff is at the same level of discussing the possibility of unicorns and space fairies. Throughout history, there haven't been millions of eyewitness reports and anecdotal accounts of encounters with unicorns and space fairies. That's in stark contrast with things like ghosts and UFOs which have historically been reported on and speculated about since the dawn of man. It's easy to dismiss these countless claims of supposed interaction with the supernatural as typical human delusion, sure, but for people who have experienced the same kind of unexplainable phenomena, we find some of these accounts worth considering.

There are countless videos out there I can link that have captured unexplainable figures, shadows, UFOs etc. and while you may be hard-pressed to provide an exact explanation for them, you would likely still be able to claim confidently that, "well there is a logical explanation to it somewhere" based off your unwavering assumption that there is no such thing as the supernatural, which is based off the fact that there is no strong evidence for it. It kind of becomes a snake eating its own tail at some point.

And for the record, I never accused anyone here in the community to be close-minded in a general sense - I am far from qualified to ever make such a statement - but I did mean to suggest that the vocal majority of posters here are quite dismissive of the subject, and I stand by that.

Anyways, I hope I was able to express my view on the matter clearly. I understand that I'm treading on thin ice as it is, as not being able to back up claims with strong evidence is a bannable offense, as is derailing a thread. Assuming I'm not already banned, if anyone would like to continue the conversation, I'd be happy to do so over PMs.

People believing in ghosts is some dumb shit.

There is literally zero evidence to support them beyond anecdotal.

I mean how the hell do these ghost hunters know that an EMF reader would be the thing to detect ghosts?

An estimated 107 billion people have died. We would literally be inundated with ghosts at this point. Like your property would have about 6 ghosts.

It's super strange that ghosts only really started to be a thing in the 1800s. There is never a depiction of a caveman ghost. Ghosts in the current interpretation are clearly based on the Victorian Gothic period.

Why are only Humans allowed to be ghosts. What about the Billions of other creatures that have died? Do they not unlock ghost powers?

When you apply the smallest percentage of logic to Ghosts the entire thing falls apart.

Aon

It's super strange that ghosts only really started to be a thing in the 1800s. There is never a depiction of a caveman ghost. Ghosts in the current interpretation are clearly based on the Victorian Gothic period.

Shakespeare died in 1616. Dude was well into modern ghosts. Let's check our facts before we decry believers in the paranormal, lest our arguments be just as full of holes.

*Nightwing

You might have a super genius living in your closet. The poor hygiene would explain the smell and the rudeness of not cleaning up after themselves when they ransacked your fridge.
vlcsnap-2011-09-12-22h44m25s150.jpg

Who

Banned
Shakespeare died in 1616. Dude was well into modern ghosts. Let's check our facts before we decry believers in the paranormal, lest our arguments be just as full of holes.

Not to mention tribal cultures, whose roots can be traced back to before the dawn of civilization, all have spirits and ghosts as a heavily integrated part of their culture and belief system.

DBT85

I know GAF is extremely close-minded on topics like these but, based off experiences in my own life, I definitely don't rule out the possibility of there being something...beyond.

Weird, I actually see it as being more open minded and finding logical and explainable reasons for things rather than the corridor thinking of "god did it", "a ghost did it", "the magical fairy did it".

Orbis

Are people seriously debating the existence of ghosts in this thread? Because of some tomato sauce on a wall?

GAF
The main issue here for me is that the OP did not first consider the dozens of non-supernatural explanations (some of which are very serious such as an actual, physical person entering the property, or fatal carbon monoxide leaks) before ending up suspecting ghosts. Then, despite advice to the contrary the OP spends money on a website which finds out who died in a property. Sure, he's also buying a surveillance camera now, but based on the above I'm pretty sure it's not to catch humans.

iNvid02

there is a simple test to determine if it actually is a ghost.

1. obtain french fry
2. dip said fry into ketchup on the wall
3. eat french fry and wait 24 hours

if you're still alive then the house isnt haunted.

Machine

There is no god, religion is bullshit. I am, however, open to the possibility of OTHER invisible beings such as ghosts.

I swear, only on GAF...

Well this is so obvious that it's probably already been said, but that's your blood, and that nasty smell is your corpse.

This is your purgatory.

I get that there is no solid evidence that can prove the existence of an afterlife, God, ghosts etc. but based of my own experiences and the experiences of others, I am open to the idea. I'm not trying to convince a grand juror, I'm just voicing my opinion. Yes there is no solid evidence but there is also no strong effort to find evidence. It's an off-limits and largely taboo subject in the scientific community. Any scientist that would hope to find funding for such research would be ridiculed and mocked, and probably rightfully so, because if such a thing existed, it would be impossible to even know where to start in trying to prove it. People like me, close-minded loons, are able to consider that such a thing might exist and that modern science just may not be advanced enough to be able to properly explain it. It's completely understandable that you may find this kind of stuff not worth discussing, that's fine, but there are lots of intelligent people that do.

I don't think it's fair to say that discussing this kind of stuff is at the same level of discussing the possibility of unicorns and space fairies. Throughout history, there haven't been millions of eyewitness reports and anecdotal accounts of encounters with unicorns and space fairies. That's in stark contrast with things like ghosts and UFOs which have historically been reported on and speculated about since the dawn of man. It's easy to dismiss these countless claims of supposed interaction with the supernatural as typical human delusion, sure, but for people who have experienced the same kind of unexplainable phenomena, we find some of these accounts worth considering.

There are countless videos out there I can link that have captured unexplainable figures, shadows, UFOs etc. and while you may be hard-pressed to provide an exact explanation for them, you would likely still be able to claim confidently that, "well there is a logical explanation to it somewhere" based off your unwavering assumption that there is no such thing as the supernatural, which is based off the fact that there is no strong evidence for it. It kind of becomes a snake eating its own tail at some point.

And for the record, I never accused anyone here in the community to be close-minded in a general sense - I am far from qualified to ever make such a statement - but I did mean to suggest that the vocal majority of posters here are quite dismissive of the subject, and I stand by that.

Anyways, I hope I was able to express my view on the matter clearly. I understand that I'm treading on thin ice as it is, as not being able to back up claims with strong evidence is a bannable offense, as is derailing a thread. Assuming I'm not already banned, if anyone would like to continue the conversation, I'd be happy to do so over PMs.
There is no truth whatsoever to the idea that there is a lack evidence of ghosts because people aren't trying to collect it. Individuals, some with television shows, have done everything they can to find ghosts for a long time. Starting long before we were born. And when we talk about 7 billion people it means that evidence would turn up regardless of a desire to find it.

I'm so sick of people saying that scientists won't study something because they would be ostracized. It is slanderous to the scientific community, depicting them as arrogant and blind jackbooted thugs the way Republicans try to paint them, and a weak attempt at propping up an unsupported idea like ghosts. There ARE scientists that look for ghosts, and they are not taken seriously because they never find anything and almost always have strayed from pursuing real science and become crackpots. There isn't going to be a scientific research grant to look for ghosts until someone can offer a way of looking for them that is based on any kind of solid evidence or theory. The "ghost detector" equipment that ghost chasers use is pulled out of someone's ass and there is no particular reason to believe any of it will work. No one is making blind assumptions or suppressing research into the supernatural.

Look at all these ghosts possessing GAF members trying to convince OP there's no ghost. Don't fall for it OP, get out of there as fast as you can!

kai3345

Banned
OP this is literally the plot to the movie Houseboud. Girl on house arrest is convinced her house is haunted. But it turns out a dude has been squatting in between her walls

Druz

Your eureka moment will happen when you understand that your anecdotal evidence accounts for absolutely nothing no matter how much weight you put on it.

I don't know if ghosts exist, but I'm surprised at the amount of certainty from some people. No possibility at all? Even a teeny tiny possibility?

People have been looking for ghosts and spirits for thousands of years. History says chances that the first ghost we've ever encountered is smearing ketchup in an appartment are pretty slim.

It doesn't matter if people do or do not believe in ghosts but for the people who have experienced it, it's f'in real as shit. You can be a non believer but just saying "no you are lying, stop bullshitting" is just an insult to the people that did have such experiences. I've had several experiences myself that were truly frightening but why bother telling it to people who just dismiss it like that as it was something made up or "crazy". :p

The ketchup on the wall is kinda funny though OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom