• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If You Could Erase One Thing from Gaming History, What Would It Be?

DryvBy

HERE'S THE CATCH! You also have to destroy the game/system along with the thing you've destroyed!!

An example of this: If you want to get rid of how DLC destroyed things by destroying horse armor, you have to destroy Oblivion. It's not that DLC wasn't around before Oblivion but that's when it really kicked off into what it became today.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
But which game would be destroyed forever thanks to this?! (I really don't know)

Also a lot of Sony exclusives like God of War Ragnarok and Spidey 2.

Zheph

OK so we know your a games journalist, but who do you work for?
Be Quiet Ben Stiller GIF

Bond007

XBox.
They been powerleveling themselves since day one to get this far. Alot of shitty practices started by them (XBL) paying for online, etc.
Competition is great. Wish it woulda have been from SEGA or something. Rather than Microsofts warchest of cash and really just their attempt to conquer something else.

I own all their consoles yes.

tommib

Gold Member
XBox.
They been powerleveling themselves since day one to get this far. Alot of shitty practices started by them (XBL) paying for online, etc.
Competition is great. Wish it woulda have been from SEGA or something. Rather than Microsofts warchest of cash and really just their attempt to conquer something else.

Can’t disagree with this. But after we destroy Horizon.

calistan

Gold Member
Alot of shitty practices started by them (XBL) paying for online, etc.
To be fair, you could tell the difference between the paid service and the free one back in the day. Because the sender pays for bandwidth, Xbox 360 had loads of giant demos and stuff that downloaded really quickly. PS3 did not, and the service had fewer features and was slower. Took a while for Sony to catch up. So that's what free online looked like on a console.

Saber

Gold Member
Battlepasses, Game as a Service and subscription services.

I can't imagine what they would do long time ago. Diddy Kong Racing would have like 4 characters, the rest obscured by "soon"(or being paid to unlock) and only Dino Domain available, with other stages locked through season passes, battle passes and DLCs.

Bond007

To be fair, you could tell the difference between the paid service and the free one back in the day. Because the sender pays for bandwidth, Xbox 360 had loads of giant demos and stuff that downloaded really quickly. PS3 did not, and the service had fewer features and was slower. Took a while for Sony to catch up. So that's what free online looked like on a console.

I had zero problems with Sonys service and what it became.
Sure there werent free games or some bells and whistles. But fundamentally- the same games were online ran just the same as XBL and was free. Sony saw an opportunity to make money based on what a competitor was doing and a percieved "value" to gamers.
The best "value" is free.

hinch7

Destiny because that was the inspiration for Anthem. Which basically killed off Bioware as we knew them.

And on the other side of the coin, Bungie dedicated to making games I've no interest in well over a decade.

Last edited:
I don't know how to apply it to your "catch" (very interesting catch, by the way), but as a single player only fighting game fan, I hate,  HATE coin-munching CPU design in older games.

Which wouldn't be an issue, if fighting game devs or companies weren't so fucking lazy, and re-balanced the CPU for HOME RELEASES.

There are soooo many excellent classic fighting games, like Street Fighter Alpha 3 for example. Amazing roster, music, animations, presentation, and great single player content too.
That as a offline player, gets utterly ruined by the AWFUL CPU design, that wasn't AT ALL touched in the home releases.

Hard is great, cheap and TRANSPARENTLY unfair, is just annoying.

Alpha 3 has the potential to be my favorite game ever, period. But I fucking hate playing it. Because exploiting the annoying CPU is not fun for me, it's fucking boring.

March Climber

Gold Member
In the big picture of gaming, the Wii didn't really change anything and the only thing it actually did was make Nintendo consistently a generation behind, graphically.

I would erase it so that the Wii U (or a device with dual screens and PS360 graphics) came out during the PS360 generation. It would line up with the DS/3DS and possibly even have some cross-platform games like RE Revelations.

calistan

Gold Member
I had zero problems with Sonys service and what it became.
Sure there werent free games or some bells and whistles. But fundamentally- the same games were online ran just the same as XBL and was free. Sony saw an opportunity to make money based on what a competitor was doing and a percieved "value" to gamers.
The best "value" is free.
Sure, but I'm not referring to the 'games with gold' stuff or anything like that. I mean before all that, when games had demos on 360 but not on PS3 because Sony would have had to cover the cost of delivering them. Plus all the things like cross-game chat that weren't adopted by Sony until much later.

Free would be nice, but I don't think they started charging purely because Microsoft did. It was because they couldn't provide that level of service for nothing.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
XBox.

Microsoft is the worst company in gaming. Windows is also a piece of shit now. I'd love to erase Microsoft's entire involvement in the gaming industry, even if it does mean losing a handful of killer games.

Top Bottom