• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If You Could Erase One Thing from Gaming History, What Would It Be?

Fabieter

Half life 2 and it's Episodes. Fuck that cliffhanger and I really like retail gaming and half life 2 also killed that on pc!

Blindy

Early codes given to "popular streamers" or "leaks". Absolutely brutal to see an anticipated game get leaked out there because it was given to people before release date. I search for something on Youtube to help with a puzzle and in my related searches I see a spoiler of a boss in the same game, like wtf? Why even have a release date at that point? I want to see other people and how they played a Soulsbourne boss and don't you know related search on YT in the far right has the next boss coming up, name/look and all. LOL.

You can probably add the new fad of "Pay extra to play the game a few days/week ahead", so you might as well have released game out earlier then......

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I'd erase Activision, despite their importance in defining the concept of a third party during the early days of the industry.
And if not the entire company then just Bobby Kotick.

ZoukGalaxy

INTERNET.

It ruined EVERYTHING when "moneymakers" saw the "potential" in always online.
Making Money GIF by CBS

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'd like to erase Square Enix and everything they have done since the merger.

I dunno if that's within the rules.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Gold Member
This won't be a popular choice, but I'd eliminate online multiplayer. Imo, 95% of the toxicity in gaming, and 95% of the corporate bullshit dragging gaming down, is connected to the online multiplayer gaming space.

Tomeru

This won't be a popular choice, but I'd eliminate online multiplayer. Imo, 95% of the toxicity in gaming, and 95% of the corporate bullshit dragging gaming down, is connected to the online multiplayer gaming space.
Unpopular opinion you say? How about batshit crazy opinion?

I'd get rid of wokeness in gaming.

Venom Snake

Actually nothing.

It would have caused some kind of fucked up butterfly effect that would have resulted in me being born in a region-locked country or something.

intbal

Clickable thumbsticks.
Because developers began abusing that from the very first moment.
Now "click to sprint" is so common developers have completely forgotten the value of analog sticks.
I'm convinced that this feature is the primary cause of early stick drift in controllers.

King Dazzar

Definitely something related to the many offhand/aggressive monetisation aspects. From a console side, paid online gaming and/or shitty refund policy on PSN.

Red5

GAAS, MTX, Battlepass, the very things that are killing creativity and making studios risk averse while chasing their golden goose game pipe dream.

poodaddy

Gold Member
DEI in general. I'm willing to sacrifice literally any game, any hardware, any entire platform library, to remove DEI from games. It'd be worth it, no matter the cost.

SHA

Non gamers who have no f clue about video games yet make the biggest most effective decisions in the gaming industry, that's cruel.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Warriors, shills and bad "comedians" in gaming forums.

..which means all systems and games would be destroyed

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Commodore going broke, and understanding what it meant to break into the 32-bit console generation....(ie have tech like 3DO had...)

Stagger system in battles. I guess, unless I’m mistaken, that means FF13 will be erased, and every subsequent entry that implements it… and that’s fine by me.

Stratostar

Clickable thumbsticks.
Because developers began abusing that from the very first moment.
Now "click to sprint" is so common developers have completely forgotten the value of analog sticks.
I'm convinced that this feature is the primary cause of early stick drift in controllers.
Clickable sticks are fine IMO as console controllers have a very limited number of mappable button inputs even with them. They’re useful for lower priority mappings like toggling a flashlight on or off.
But I absolutely agree that L3 to sprint is just the worst. It will never not feel terrible and it absolutely causes undue wear and tear on the sticks.

OP already ended the thread with the example answer. to me, hands down the horse armor micro-transaction is moment game industry started going into the dark side. and I'm fine with destroying everything related to it.

Mobilemofo

Steve balmer. The amount of cringe he produced was not cool at all..fuckin mountains of it. And because of the net, we will to be able to relive it forever. (Or until someone blows up the internet) 😅

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You could argue internet broke the couch play experience coop. I think everyone points to games launching with bugs and would erase rough launches.

Top Bottom