• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If You Could Erase One Thing from Gaming History, What Would It Be?

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Easy answer:

91sDTFzts8L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Fuck no. That gave us home ports of Star Wars Arcade and Virtua Racing.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
SOA and SOJ were divided from the beginning. SOJ only relented for a couple of years because Kalinske's plan delivered sales for the Genesis in the US.
technically they were divided beforehand, yes. (galaxy brain)

what I'm talking about is the 32X divided the hardware philosophy of Sega, rather than pulling in one direction with the Model 1 board, things split into the 32X and Saturn, which hemorrhaged a ton of money for Segaga.

Only with the Dreamcast did things come back together, but of course, it was too late.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
SOA and SOJ were divided from the beginning. SOJ only relented for a couple of years because Kalinske's plan delivered sales for the Genesis in the US.
I think this is the point of the exercise, nobody is denying that certain factors at play led to the release of this abhorrent shit. The question is what would you do with the power to erase them.

I would argue that losing ports of Virtua Racing and Star Wars Arcade is a small price to pay if it means that Sega is still a viable contender in the US market. The 32X absolutely destroyed its standing here as well as lost them a good amount of goodwill in the market and among fans. Because hey, if they weren't working on 32X slop they could have done those ports on the Saturn.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
SOA was developing Black Belt with 3DFX.

SOJ had Dural with Power VR.

SOJ told SOA to suck their dick, and Dural would be their next system. Black Belt ended up in a Konami arcade board.
SoJ won with Dural, thus the home console hardware would be the same across all regions.
That's what I'm saying.

There was no awkward 32X / Saturn-type of situation with the Dreamcast. Segaga settled on the Power VR architecture.

I'm not sure how lucrative Black Belt was, but I find the term to be incredibly racist.

Last edited:

Damigos

XBOX ONE reveal
WII U
Proprietary anything (ps vita looking at you)
microtransactions
Season passes
games as a service
Halo Infiinite
wokeness

Last edited:

MrRenegade

Banned
Every money making, suit wearing man?bitch around gaming.

So send Bobby Kotick as an early settler to Mars. Then the whole MS management. Everyone would be happy and proud.
Yes, evil forces must be subdued, although they are sometimes beneficial.

Btw, what have you done Arekusandro?

killatopak

Gold Member
Easy. MTX.

If that means destroying Oblivion so be it. It was the start of Bethesda dumbing down RPG mechanics anyway. A lot of schools of magic, types of weaponry and layering armors and such were scrapped in the making of Oblivion. Will I miss Oblivion? Hell yeah, I will. It's one of my favorite games and my first experience in modding. However, I make every other game I play better in the future if the practice is destroyed.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Mobile gaming. We can thank mobile gaming for all of the FTP predatory bullshit permeating our games.

Last edited:

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
SOA was developing Black Belt with 3DFX.

SOJ had Dural with Power VR.

SOJ told SOA to suck their dick, and Dural would be their next system. Black Belt ended up in a Konami arcade board.
Sega's civil war only ended after its near-bankruptcy, but the Japanese branch remained 70% intact while the original SOA disappeared

Top Bottom